Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you can beat FE6 HM, you're good enough at Fire Emblem to beat almost all of the hardest difficulties--certainly all of them from before the DS era. If nothing else, you've proven yourself patient enough to deal with ambush reinforcements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i think a lot of my experience with FE6 hard mode was just holding out and taking my lumps until progressively better units (rutger, miledy, perceval) arrived, and after some point really early on i basically stuck roy in someone's saddlebags for entire maps

HM bonuses were some pretty good poo poo

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 12, 2018

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm up to chapter 10 on Awakening, it's getting a little bit easier to not have someone die every time. Though I did let Miriel go after she got killed by a lucky critical after I'd almost completed the map. So long, Miriel.

With the supports/marriage thing, am I likely to only get a handful of supports to S rank without grinding? I imagined I'd pair up a lot of characters, but at the moment I only have one or two pairings on A/B and lots of my guys don't have any support ranks with anyone yet

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Paperhouse posted:

I'm up to chapter 10 on Awakening, it's getting a little bit easier to not have someone die every time. Though I did let Miriel go after she got killed by a lucky critical after I'd almost completed the map. So long, Miriel.

With the supports/marriage thing, am I likely to only get a handful of supports to S rank without grinding? I imagined I'd pair up a lot of characters, but at the moment I only have one or two pairings on A/B and lots of my guys don't have any support ranks with anyone yet

It takes 7 maps of use to get an S rank. One for C, and two each for B, A, and S. You should be able to get everybody you're actually using paired up no problem. I usually used grinding maps to pair off people who I wasn't actually using.

BoneDaddy1969
Mar 4, 2018

I kept hearing that Sacred Stones was easy or whatever for the longest time, but god drat Ephraim Hard Mode is kicking my rear end, Ch. 16 is a fun time with the loving Purge sage and all the other magic users that hog the hallways. This is my punishment for Artur being my only magic user who can actually fight them all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The idea that Sacred Stones is easy comes from two angles:

Its hardest difficulty is legitimately much easier than the hardest difficulties of FE5-7 (and games before that didn't have hard modes, FE4's bizarre hard mode doesn't really count).
You can always grind out of difficulty in the tower.

I would say that no-grinding FE8 hard mode isn't exactly easy, but if your basis of comparison is the hard modes of the other two GBA games, and you don't discount grinding, then it seems easy by comparison if nothing else.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Sacred Stones Hard mode, if you completely avoid grinding, I think is somewhere between Eliwood Hard and Hector Hard. With grinding it's literally as easy as you want it to be.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

Early Lunatic is literally balanced around him (and not in the fun way like FE6 HM chapter 1 and Marcus) but on Hard he’s a good stat stick for a bit before you just go X/Kellam or Y/[insert cavalier here] since Sully/Stahl give a lot of bonuses at A rank.

gently caress Awakening's Lunatic mode. There's so much bullshit involved that it doesn't even approach being fun for me. Hard mode is problematic enough, but at least you can still use any combination of units you want and is probably the only mode worth trying to do an iron man run.

cheetah7071 posted:

It takes 7 maps of use to get an S rank. One for C, and two each for B, A, and S. You should be able to get everybody you're actually using paired up no problem. I usually used grinding maps to pair off people who I wasn't actually using.
It's possible to marry everyone without touching a single Risen map or DLC, but it does take a bit of planning and a lot of early-game resource management. Once I figured out how to do it, it's become my default mode of play for Conquest and Fates. Not having to grind or obsess over optimizing the kids makes the game much more enjoyable.

TriffTshngo posted:

Sacred Stones Hard mode, if you completely avoid grinding, I think is somewhere between Eliwood Hard and Hector Hard. With grinding it's literally as easy as you want it to be.

I'd put Ephraim Hard mode on the same level as HHM. Attempting to do the Ghost Ship without either Seth or Duessel is insane. Hell, Seth is nearly mandatory for Chapter 9 as well.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 12, 2018

BoneDaddy1969
Mar 4, 2018

TriffTshngo posted:

With grinding it's literally as easy as you want it to be.

I think I've gone through only 2 floors of the tower and a few skirmishes, but I refuse to grind anymore now that just about all my characters are promoted (only 2 I have left are Gerik and Gilliam, and I'm gonna get their last 1-2 levels on Ch. 16, due to the Hero and Knight Crest being treasures in it).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Onmi posted:

Like... Berwick clearly has a lot of plot stuff, that winds up being used in Tellius. And there's a portrait for Elincia in Tearring's Data.

Ok where can I read about this?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Unless I'm completely reading this wrong, you seem to be saying "I'm really bad at fire emblem because I've only done something that's actually quite hard and probably a pretty small percentage of the playerbase has done" which seems to be a weird thing to say.

to be fair, Melth's LP had a lot of like..okay so in retrospect it's super basic but it was stuff I hadn't considered. I wasn't out there doing crazy rear end rescue chains to move one person the entire length of the map in a single turn, but his talks and logistics of how to get the most out of your Rescue really helped my own playthrough in FE7 and 8.
And seeing how far you can take iron weapons was nice. I wasa avoid steel anyway just because of the harsh penalties but still

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

rannum posted:

to be fair, Melth's LP had a lot of like..okay so in retrospect it's super basic but it was stuff I hadn't considered. I wasn't out there doing crazy rear end rescue chains to move one person the entire length of the map in a single turn, but his talks and logistics of how to get the most out of your Rescue really helped my own playthrough in FE7 and 8.
And seeing how far you can take iron weapons was nice. I wasa avoid steel anyway just because of the harsh penalties but still

On the opposite end I've been slowly working my way through FE7 during bus commutes and intentionally not being a hoarder

Did you know sleep and berserk are like, loving busted if you actually use them???

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it was an lp to show off getting the highest rank and you couldn't do that if you broke all your poo poo

that is part of why I never bothered

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

On the opposite end I've been slowly working my way through FE7 during bus commutes and intentionally not being a hoarder

Did you know sleep and berserk are like, loving busted if you actually use them???

I'm not sure I ever ued berserk because my staff inventory was otherwise full of rescuse, physic and heal/mend.

I tried to use Sleep once out of deseperation and I am pretty sure it missed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It feels real good to berserk a bolting rear end in a top hat

Basically in FE7 the difference between promoted and unpromoted enemies is so huge that that's pretty clear targets for status staves, and if you're willing to hammerne them a bit you have enough to take out an enemy nearly every map once you get the staves. Pent will usually have 100% accuracy against non-caster enemies. It's by far the easiest way to deal with some of the heroes in battle before dawn, for instance.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The idea that Sacred Stones is easy comes from two angles:

Its hardest difficulty is legitimately much easier than the hardest difficulties of FE5-7 (and games before that didn't have hard modes, FE4's bizarre hard mode doesn't really count).
You can always grind out of difficulty in the tower.

I would say that no-grinding FE8 hard mode isn't exactly easy, but if your basis of comparison is the hard modes of the other two GBA games, and you don't discount grinding, then it seems easy by comparison if nothing else.

Looking at the average stats, I would also say

1. Growths have been buffed across the board compared to FE7
2. Growths have been buffed the most where it matters (i.e. Str/Def) and if nerfed they're nerfed where they don't have a huge effect (i.e. Skl)
3. A lot of the buffs happened to classes that are already good (e.g. lords, paladins) and most of the dud units are ones you'd never use (e.g. Syrene)

Let's look at Marcus, who's considered a strong Oifey. At level 20 he has on average
code:
HP:  43.35
Str: 20.7
Skl: 24.5
Spd: 15.75
Lck: 13.7
Def: 12.85
Res: 14.65
Now let's look at Seth, who is possibly the most game-breaking unit ever added to a Fire Emblem game.
code:
HP:  47.1
Str: 23.5
Skl: 21.55
Spd: 20.55
Lck: 17.75
Def: 18.6
Res: 13.7
In exchange for 3 points of skill and a point of resistance he gained 4 HP, 3 strength, 5! speed, 4 luck, and 6! def. He's a pre-promote who's stronger than most 20/20s, hits like a truck (usually twice), can zoom across the map, can dodge, and can tank. It's not that he can solo the game but that he will solo the game if you don't take steps to prevent him from doing so.

For other comparisons, Eirika is Lyn with every stat except strength (which is the same) buffed by 1-5 points down to capping skill and speed two levels earlier and Ephraim is straight-up better than Eliwood at everything except resistance (down by about half a point). Hector gets to be a bit tougher (+1 HP, +7! Def) and stronger (+3 Str) but at the expense of -3 Skl, -3 Spd, -11! Lck, -1 Res, and not being nearly as mobile.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Base stats are also generally much better in fe8. Compare Guy and Joshua, or Garcia and Dorcas/Bartre. Garcia has more speed at base than Bartre does at level 11.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Seth is good but he's not the best FE unit ever anymore, that honor goes to Robin

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Id say seth is better just becauae robin is mildly vulnerable in the early game and only has 5 move until second sealed, which takes at least a third of the game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My basis here is that a Seth solo, while possible, is kinda shaky starting around chapter 15 on hard mode and is ultimately harder than playing normally. He trivializes the game in conjunction with a normal supporting army, but he does need that army.

A Robin solo is possible all the way through the end (feeding chrom exp and stat boosters so his dual attacks do more to grima), and is easier than playing normally--significantly easier on lunatic. You actively make the game harder by not doing a Robin solo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair isnt some of that less robin and more nosfetatu

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Robin gets going before buyable nosferatu because of the 1.5x exp but yeah if Seth could use nosferatu he'd be better than Robin

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

That's why I don't say that Seth is the strongest or the best at solo unit challenges. I say "game breaking" because Seth doesn't need any tactical or strategic decisions to dominate gameplay.

Nosferatu Robin has a strong case but it requires the (minor) decision to class change and use nosferatu and is in a game full of broken combos that tends to break naturally if someone gets ahead of the level curve (admittedly this is very likely due to Robin's 1.5x EXP).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

daermon posted:

I'd put Ephraim Hard mode on the same level as HHM. Attempting to do the Ghost Ship without either Seth or Duessel is insane. Hell, Seth is nearly mandatory for Chapter 9 as well.
But why would you attempt this

Yeah I'd say a thing is harder than another thing when you intentionally gimp yourself, too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dr Pepper posted:

Ok where can I read about this?

Elincia

Adult Tiki

And of course, Anna.

These three portraits are in Tearring Saga's files, but never used. Elincia is the biggest standout because, Tiki you can argue one way or another, and Anna, well it's Anna. But Elincia

There's no real solidified place to look at this stuff (Someone really should do a whole essay on that at one point, probably after Berwick is fully translated)

But well... here's the description of the Apostle in Berwick

quote:

In the Kingdom of Veria, the Apostle (巫女 Miko, lit. Shrine Maiden) is revered as the religious head of the Church of Veria. Ranking even above the Church's four Archbishops, she has absolute authority over the Church, and even the monarchs of the Kingdom of Veria nominally derive their authority from her office. The Apostle is said to be able to hear the voice of the Goddess Veria, allowing her to reveal hidden truths and see future events via oracle. She and the rest of the Church's higher-ups are defended by the Shining Knights.

The powers of the Apostle can wax and wane over her lifetime. Apostle Silpha very rarely heard the voice of the Goddess, only hearing it in brief visions following the birth of her daughter Sanacia during the Berwick Civil War. In those visions, she saw that Crown Prince Arless had not killed his father King Harmel VII, but rather that the Church of Raze was responsible. Despite these revelations, however, Mordias IV continued the war, leading the Apostle to threaten him with excommunication for needless bloodshed. As this would jeopardize Mordias's claim to the throne, he went before the Apostle and begged at her feet for forgiveness, which she granted. However, Mordias's contrition was a ruse, and he had the Apostle assassinated soon after.

It's obviously not literally a 1-1 copy, but a lot of the details and names just... a mite too close to be a coincidence. Especially when you remember that Tellius was designed originally as FE64, which wouldn't get revisited until Path of Radiance. And obviously Kaga was working on FE64, and thus would know the details for things like that.

Oh right

And here's Marth

And here's Saias

Everyone knows Kaga basically figured that Fire Emblem belonged to him, even though he didn't own the rights, so none of this stuff is a surprise to see.

BoneDaddy1969
Mar 4, 2018

daermon posted:

Attempting to do the Ghost Ship without either Seth or Duessel is insane. Hell, Seth is nearly mandatory for Chapter 9 as well.

I actually did beat Ghost Ship without Seth or Duessel, but I had to do like 2 or 3 skirmishes to get a couple levels up first (didn't promote anyone though). I fear for my life when I replay the game and forgo skirmishes + do a legit ironman run because of that chapter :ohdear:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I maintain that boat chapters are universally awful. Some of them are less awful than others but if someone tries to convince you that there's a "good" boat chapter they're being paid off by some kind of nautical organization.

BoneDaddy1969
Mar 4, 2018

Ghost Ship would've been a perfectly fine chapter if they didn't toss a promoted boss immediately behind you on top of all the gargoyles and evil eyes, which already needed the full attention of any fliers you deployed. After that it just turns it into another FE9 CH12 where I have to space everyone out into a diamond around my healer so he doesn't get popped immediately by all the flying enemies.

BoneDaddy1969 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 13, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

I maintain that boat chapters are universally awful. Some of them are less awful than others but if someone tries to convince you that there's a "good" boat chapter they're being paid off by some kind of nautical organization.
What's wrong with fe9 chapter 13

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

What's wrong with fe9 chapter 13

it's on a boat

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Boat chapters are good at about the same rate as any other chapter

They're usually harder than average though

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

FE7 HHM chapter 18 is one of if not the best chapters in the series.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like the boat chapters in Fates

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I enjoyed the hard postgame boat battles in Echoes

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

FE7 HHM chapter 18 is one of if not the best chapters in the series.

That's literally the chapter where I gave up trying to play HHM because I don't have a computer brain

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Boat chapters are inherently bad because there's only ever 1 strategy for them: turtle and send your fliers out alone. And then they throw way too many enemies at you to make it "interesting".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I basically never turtle on any map much less every boat map. Turtling is boring as hell

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TriffTshngo posted:

That's literally the chapter where I gave up trying to play HHM because I don't have a computer brain

The solution to that map is: use Marcus

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cheetah7071 posted:

I basically never turtle on any map much less every boat map. Turtling is boring as hell

You must've had blessed units for 3-13 RD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

You must've had blessed units for 3-13 RD

Everybody does given how bexp works

(realtalk I advanced to just outside the edge of Ike's range and held that line. It wasn't particularly hard with volug and jill. I also haven't played hard mode since the game came out because of the inability to check enemy ranges so that could easily change the viability)

e: I think some of conquest lunatic successfully forced me to turtle for at least a portion of the map's duration

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 13, 2018