Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Make sure you have fun

Will try my best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

There is a bunch of cool climbing people in Denver and some not. I don't think any goons climb at Earth treks Englewood though. But yeah, just have fun. That gym is cool.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

There is a bunch of cool climbing people in Denver and some not. I don't think any goons climb at Earth treks Englewood though. But yeah, just have fun. That gym is cool.

What a loving blast that was. Failed on this 1.2 a bunch and want to scend it badly.

I could have stayed for another hour or more easy but had to go :(

Edit: Oops v2

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 11, 2018

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009

ShaneB posted:

What a loving blast that was. Failed on this 1.2 a bunch and want to scend it badly.

same

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Wish me luck, thread. In a week I am headed up I-70 to beg Knee Jesus (aka Kneesus) if I can climb again following ACL surgery.

Haven’t climbed since Feb.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Pulled my left trapezus real bad again, second time this year, right before the best weather we've had in months. :argh: Felt like being shot in the back.

Everything in Squamish is seeping till July now, but still.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

In feel ya, clan of injured peeps. Been fighting tendon strains and a lingering shoulder issue that just won't heal completely, and Hueco season is upon us

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
bouldering is dumb

trad is the best climbing (maybe mixed alpine routes actually lmao)

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Ice is even dumber

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Lol @ somehow moving past climbing is dumb and contrived to justify your own niche part of climbing being on a pedestal

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I like climbing things it's fun

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
trad is RAD yo

do you know how much you get to spend on gear???

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
The only true climbing is dry tooling.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I think we can all agree that sport climbing is neither.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Trad free solo is the only "pure" form of climbing

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

remote control carnivore posted:

Trad free solo is the only "pure" form of climbing

:pusheen:

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Speaking of, anyone else catch Free Solo? The cinematography is amazing, the climbing is spectacular and gripping even though you know he pulls it off, and Honnold is a gigantic sperg about climbing.

chami fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 12, 2018

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

chami posted:

Honnold is a gigantic sperg

Yeah, this.

Watched it last Friday. Very good filmmaking, wouldn't expect anything less from Jimmy Chin and Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi. But yeah, Honnlove is a giant sperg. I may also get flamed for this, but I thought his GF came off as shrill. Like, you hooked up with Alex Honnold, did you think he was gonna give it up for true love? When he basically said she didn't rate enough for him to stop freesoloing...yikes.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

remote control carnivore posted:

When he basically said she didn't rate enough for him to stop freesoloing...yikes.

when autism strikes, the brutal honesty

anyway i just broke up with my partner of 5 years essentially because i knew there's no way they would be compatible with the van-dwelling dirtbag climbing lifestyle my entire future has now been shaped around lmao ama

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 12, 2018

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

.... are you my ex?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
As someone who lives in a van and climbs too much, there's a shocking number of women who think it's frickin' awesome. It's wierding me out.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think I would love the van life but I also like money so /shrug

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Rime posted:

As someone who lives in a van and climbs too much, there's a shocking number of women who think it's frickin' awesome. It's wierding me out.

Of course they do, pursuing your passion is romantic and sexy when you're looking at it from the outside and not seeing the sacrifices involved yet. Humans are great at zeroing in on superficially attractive things that are worthless or actively bad for us in a partner.

Like Honnold's "shrill" girlfriend probably doesn't think of herself as the girl trying to hold back Alex loving Honnold, Mountain Sperg God. She thinks of him as "my boyfriend Alex, who I actually ended up caring about so now I sort of wish he would stop doing this thing that is guaranteed to eventually kill him."

Both pretty human imo.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

ShaneB posted:

I could have stayed for another hour or more easy but had to go :(

Edit: Oops v2

Yeah buddy!

Get to it. I started this year and randomly send a (gym) v4-5. Try to focus on the mechanics/technique and you'll surprise yourself.

Take rests and listen to your body. Skin grows back, tendons are a bit more difficult to heal.

Don't leap off the top, try to climb down. It's better for technique and also for your knees.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I jumped down from maybe 3 feet up and landed wrong on my leg so now I’m working on a groin joint injury. Dumb

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I took a leap off the top of the bouldering wall during a class and one of my knees made a knuckle crack sound (normal for me but horrifying to a normal person). The class instructor visibly winced and begged me not to do that anymore.

I think the habit comes from when climbing trees as a kid, because children are made of rubber and can leap out of trees and roll the landing with no damage, and when you're a kid you cling to whatever tiny dumb thing you think makes you cool. In hindsight this is probably why my knees are already garbage at 30. :ohdear:

Tl;dr: Climbing back down is good and advisable.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Down climbing builds your endurance and saves your knees so yes do it. How can my noob rear end know this wisdom already?

I did circus for 3 years. If you're not feeling hot enough to get up there and come down then don't go up there in the first place!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah who the gently caress would jump off a bouldering wall deliberately? That's pre dumb.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Rime posted:

Yeah who the gently caress would jump off a bouldering wall deliberately? That's pre dumb.

Me.

Knowing I shouldn't, to add a cherry to this idiot sundae.

Don't be like me.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'll admit to letting myself drop down probably further than I should when I'm working on roofs / big overhung boulder problems because it's a pain in the rear end downclimbing at that angle and I'm usually loving tired afterwards.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

If I'm on an overhung boulder route I will pretty much always just hang and drop. I can't imagine jumping from on the top of the wall though, that's crazy.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

i too did the dumb thing and hurt my ankle this way

dumb me learn good

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
My usual gym has huge mats covering the whole floor without gaps, but the one I go to occasionally has mats that you move to the area and walls that aren't at 90* angles. :wtc: I don't gently caress around there at all.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Not seeing what the problem is with either of those things tbh

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lol one of my local gyms has sand and gravel as the flooring.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

My gym that I jumped at has padding that's more than a foot deep in the bouldering area. What loving monster uses SAND AND GRAVEL

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
hm, i jump off the wall all the time. i havent twisted or hurt anything yet and its always a controlled drop. a lot of the time i dont have anywhere near the energy required to climb down

guess im gonna regret that one day

edit: the padding at my gym is over a foot deep as well. no loving chance id drop onto gravel or some poo poo

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Jfc sand and gravel? Is this a state sponsored gym by mother Russia?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

My back and knee are pretty toast so I never jump unless it's an overhang and then I generally campus to as low as I can get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If it's the place I'm thinking of it's one of the OG Seattle gyms. Most of the Seattle gyms had gravel back when I was competing, it was murder on your shoes.