Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Can anyone verify the whereabouts of Bret "The Hitman" Hart at the time of the assassination?

Reportedly spotted pissing on the side of the road near Calgary at the time of the incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yep, his sons can verify for his whereabouts.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Looking forward to the winner gets to leave Saudi Arabia battle royal

At the start of the match, all entrants are in the ring. The bell rings and everyone starts throwing themselves over the top rope, racing up the ramp and towards the locker room, pushing and shoving each other out of the way. The first person to get all their stuff, make it to their car, and successfully arrive at the airport is declared the winner.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe Vince saw Argo and this whole show is just their way to smuggle some hiding Americans out of the country!

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
December 2001: Vince McMahon steps out of a snowy night into a diner in upstate New York for a meeting with old friend Phil Thomson, now a highly placed government official. Thomson has a strange proposition: creating a new covert black-ops group using the Superstars of World Wrestling Entertainment. The WWE's talented men and women are perfect. Highly skilled athletes with the ideal cover, they travel all across the country and the globe; no one would find it unusual to find them in a town one day and gone the next. The government would train and support the wrestlers in every way possible except one: no one must know the truth. November 2018: The Superstars have been handed their latest assignment - Assassinate Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman of Saudi Arabia, and free the country from his evil reign of terror.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Sami desperately calling other members of the roster trying to recruit them to ANTIFA

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sigma posted:

Sami desperately calling other members of the roster trying to recruit them to ANTIFA

Owens shows up to call him out for not actually being aloud to go to KSA anyway and breaks it up just to be a dick.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Honest question, if they go and do propaganda does this make it a worse show than the North Korea show with Inoki doing some North Korea propaganda?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

if one WWE main-roster star was brave/nuts enough to refuse to go, they'd definitely get canned and probably sued but dear god they'd become a public/media darling the likes of which we've never seen

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The show is propaganda, that's like part of the point.

E: Most of the point even. With the rest being some Saudi Prince really liked WWE when he was young.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

GrimGypsy posted:

if one WWE main-roster star was brave/nuts enough to refuse to go, they'd definitely get canned and probably sued but dear god they'd become a public/media darling the likes of which we've never seen

They'd be a media blip for the next 24 hours of the news cycle then forgotten

Then they'd be blacklisted from anywhere WWE decides to pay enough to not hire them

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

baron corbin's got an ad running in the rotation that can help you cancel!

Like most people here don't already know about t**m*

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GrimGypsy posted:

They'd have to get a really favorable viral push behind. That's not impossible but its not guaranteed that anyone will actually care that like Kofi Kingston got fired for [strike]taking a stand against the company working with Saudi Arabia and refusing to go[/strike] refusing to work. Or that if they do care it will survive a media cycle and not leave him in the cold.

Now if like 20 or 30 wrestlers made a stink and the company punished/fired them maybe it would make a bigger impact. But we're stepping into "union" territory there and we all know the odds of that happening.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

they seriously haven't canceled this show yet? fucks sake

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

they seriously haven't canceled this show yet? fucks sake

There is very little chance. If anything Vince doubles down with propaganda in every segment of the show

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually think if there's gonna be any kind of media attention it will come AFTER the event. Like, people know about WWE doing an event for the Saudi royals only if they're already wrestling fans or just really diligent with their jobs. But AFTER the event happens there's actually more to notice and sink into. Especially if someone catches onto the "women can't perform" and Sami stuff. And at the very least the women thing should be easy, especially with Evolution so incredibly badly timed/conceived.

Like, I'm genuinely curious to see if I get a bunch of ESPN alerts about the show or not.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

GrimGypsy posted:

There is power in a union.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I could see Brock cancelling if he feels the money isn't worth the risk and given the fact he really doesn't like travel to begin with

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I could see Brock cancelling if he feels the money isn't worth the risk and given the fact he really doesn't like travel to begin with

I mean, there's no actual risk unless he trashes MBS a little first. Its a moral stance if Brock didn't already feel like not flying to the Middle East.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Molestationary Store posted:

Like most people here don't already know about t**m*

Tom Brady?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The reason Dean is having second thoughts about the Shield over the last few weeks is because he feels guilty about what he and Roman and Seth did for Vince.

The Lunatic Fringe watched a man die and he can't live with himself afterwards. Dean is going to flip on Vince; just you watch.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In other news, I'm at a small wrestling organization's wrestling show in Fort Worth. Friend of mine is wrestling tonight. However, I stumbled upon something that made me smile.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bradzilla posted:

There is very little chance. If anything Vince doubles down with propaganda in every segment of the show

honestly at this point it's a win for taste if we can make it to the other end of this without a segment where Vince claims to have the journalist safe and sound only for some local jobber playing him to get jumped by...I dunno...the miz....

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean if we're setting the bat that low I guess we should just be happy if the Daivari brothers don't come out and murder a fake journalist.

Or wait they're in SA. So it would be like that Enzo rap video where some fat guy comes out and trashes Roman Reigns on his blog and then the SHIELD kill him.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So WWE got even more mainstream coverage for this. This time from Fortune.

http://fortune.com/2018/10/12/wwe-saudi-arabia-crown-jewel/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I sincerely hope that WWE goes. And I sincerely hope its a success and a hit and trends worldwide. And I sincerely hope a bunch of people say "Wait, what the gently caress?!" and raise bloody hell and WWE is all "we were monitoring the situation where everyone said they totally killed the dude."

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

So WWE got even more mainstream coverage for this. This time from Fortune.

http://fortune.com/2018/10/12/wwe-saudi-arabia-crown-jewel/

Haha ouch:

quote:

While several major companies have pulled out of state sponsored events in the Arab nation, WWE is, for now at least, proceeding with plans for its “Crown Jewel” pay-per-view event, which is scheduled for Nov. 2.

The company says it is “monitoring the situation” in the country after the mysterious disappearance and possible murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a Saudi government critic and Washington Post columnist.

Executives from Uber, Viacom, HP and the LA Times, as well as venture capitalist Steve Case, have all withdrawn from the Future Investment Initiative, otherwise known as ‘Davos in the Desert,’ citing concerns about the situation in the country.

Yeah that's a bad look

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DarkstarIV posted:

Bryan Alvarez just revealed on WOL that the majority of talent in WWE doesn't want to go to Saudi Arabia. But the office is making them go.

Given that they're all independent contractors, what do you suppose.happens if the KSA decides to arrest them indefinitely? :allears:

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Why would they? There are dozens of nightmarish murdering dictatorships that don't have a BDSesque policy towards them by any major group. There must be "something" special about Israel

Hurrrr

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shinjobi posted:

In other news, I'm at a small wrestling organization's wrestling show in Fort Worth. Friend of mine is wrestling tonight. However, I stumbled upon something that made me smile.

The two on the top are nobody indie geek gimmicks but those girls on the bottom have their character poo poo figured out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Dynamite's got some pretty elaborate face paint. He's committed at least.

But yeah, that other kid bought his gear at a gas station.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
His paint isn't even symmetrical!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its dynamite, man. You can't control that poo poo.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol Michael Tarver

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Mr. Carlisle posted:

lol me, Michael Tarver

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
I haven't been able to sit through RAW in months, but I'm genuinely excited to watch on Monday because either they double down and go for it or we get to watch as they attempt to backpedal their way out of the situation without admitting to any wrongdoing on their part while also attempting to not jeopardize running future KSA events by badmouthing the regime.

It's gonna be so morbidly entertaining.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HBK: Like I said last week, it's time to come out of retirement and face the Undertaker and Kane... at Survivor Series!
HHH: That's right, just like we said last week, it's time to face those guys at Survivor Series!
Cole: Big match for Survivor Series, as reported last week, plus of course the WWE World Cup to determine the best in the world is also happening at Survivor Series, just like we reported last week!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I can't imagine they'll draw attention to it by addressing it on their programming

Right now they're just closing their eyes putting their hands over their ears and shouting NEENER NEENER I CANT HEAR YOU until it goes away

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Stephanie: "After the unfortunate incident in Saudi Arabia with all of our wrestlers being detained, we are now going to prove we are at the forefront of the Women's Revolution by making all of our shows focus on our talented female roster and renaming ourselves Women's Wrestling Entertainment!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Jerusalem posted:

HBK: Like I said last week, it's time to come out of retirement and face the Undertaker and Kane... at Survivor Series!
HHH: That's right, just like we said last week, it's time to face those guys at Survivor Series!
Cole: Big match for Survivor Series, as reported last week, plus of course the WWE World Cup to determine the best in the world is also happening at Survivor Series, just like we reported last week!
Cole: Also scheduled to be here tonight to discuss his client's upcoming triple threat match against "The Big Dog™" Roman Reigns and "The Monster Among Men™" Braun Strowman for the Universal Championship™ at the first ever all women's Pay-Per-View, WWE Evolution™ will be the advocate for the FORMER Universal Champion™ Brock Lesnar... Paul... Heyman.

• Locked thread