Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I loving hate Lularoe, and I'm tired of hearing about it from my dumbass friends.

One of their top executives is ditching. The company promised tons of refunds and then didn't pay them out.

https://www.businessinsider.com/lularoes-patrick-winget-exits-company-amid-refund-complaints-2018-10

Bye, choke on a dick, bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lol suck it sears. I worked there for a few summers selling ac and water heaters. They sucked.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Bean posted:

I loving hate Lularoe, and I'm tired of hearing about it from my dumbass friends.

One of their top executives is ditching. The company promised tons of refunds and then didn't pay them out.

https://www.businessinsider.com/lularoes-patrick-winget-exits-company-amid-refund-complaints-2018-10

When I was sick recently I had a family member try and recruit me to sell candles, telling me I could afford my treatment easily and pay for everything else in life if I just put in the effort.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Burt Sexual posted:

Lol suck it sears. I worked there for a few summers selling ac and water heaters. They sucked.

I worked in the backroom there. There was a rule where if someone came in to pick up an in-store internet purchase, we had to fetch their poo poo in 5 minutes or less, no matter how many things or how bulky. They were supposed to get a 5 dollar coupon if we hosed up making the time. We got poo poo on by management every time it happened, but as far as I saw not a single person ever got a coupon. Ever.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I bought Sears stock when it was $1.20 thinking how low could it possibly go? It rose to about $1.80 a few days later and I was all, "this is SEARS, they will totally get back up to $2, I'll sell then." It's now at $0.37 and I hate myself.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

McPhearson posted:

I bought Sears stock when it was $1.20 thinking how low could it possibly go? It rose to about $1.80 a few days later and I was all, "this is SEARS, they will totally get back up to $2, I'll sell then." It's now at $0.37 and I hate myself.

Zaurg's alt account spotted..

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

McPhearson posted:

What exactly was it that made you think it was going to bounce back or stabilize?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Ariong posted:

What exactly was it that made you think it was going to bounce back or stabilize?

The CEO would pull a Enron and cook the books with stock price fraud?

Works in the short term which, as we all know, is the only term.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Ariong posted:

It's a giant multinational corporation that had sold for $2.00 just a week earlier. I didn't think it would stabilize, I thought it might do a dead cat bounce. that's why I put a limit order at $2.00 thinking it will probably hit that for a day or an evening and I would rake in the dough, but I flew a bit too close to the sun.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

All we need now is iObit to kill the last profitable part of newspapers. It cost $600 for the last obituary I had to buy. Although, now that I think about it - Facebook Memorial pages already kind of replace obits. poo poo, sorry obsolete newspaper man.

My new startup lets you memorialize your dead relatives forever on the blockchain for only 0.0042069 BTC

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

SacrificialGoat posted:

I worked in the backroom there. There was a rule where if someone came in to pick up an in-store internet purchase, we had to fetch their poo poo in 5 minutes or less, no matter how many things or how bulky. They were supposed to get a 5 dollar coupon if we hosed up making the time. We got poo poo on by management every time it happened, but as far as I saw not a single person ever got a coupon. Ever.

From a customer experience it was lovely too. I gave up on their store pickup after the 3rd 30 minute wait in a cold empty hallway with a monitor that told me my order had already been handled.

I felt bad because there was exactly 1 guy running the entire pickup/drop off area.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Microcline posted:

My new startup lets you memorialize your dead relatives forever on the blockchain for only 0.0042069 BTC

I don't get Bitcoin at all, but has someone put Terry Pratchett in there?

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Bean posted:

My wife used to buy all kinds of tacky Lularoe poo poo. She was constantly "invited" to sell it but always declined. All the consultants who she used to buy from have all got out of the business and have lost tons of money. It truly was some tacky poo poo with crazy mix and match patterns. The choir teacher at my kids school must sell it because she wears nothing but mismatched Lularoe leggings and tops.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Goober Peas posted:

From a customer experience it was lovely too. I gave up on their store pickup after the 3rd 30 minute wait in a cold empty hallway with a monitor that told me my order had already been handled.

I felt bad because there was exactly 1 guy running the entire pickup/drop off area.

Yeah, the more experienced guys would just manually punch in the code for the item the instant it came up and take their sweet time and get no poo poo for it. The stats were all that mattered and the actual effect was secondary.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

uli2000 posted:

My wife used to buy all kinds of tacky Lularoe poo poo. She was constantly "invited" to sell it but always declined. All the consultants who she used to buy from have all got out of the business and have lost tons of money. It truly was some tacky poo poo with crazy mix and match patterns. The choir teacher at my kids school must sell it because she wears nothing but mismatched Lularoe leggings and tops.

I went to a local fair last fall that had four (4) stalls all in a row selling Lularoe. I brought it up in some local facebook group wondering how it could possibly be profitable for any of them under those circumstances and was snippily informed that "they all have DIFFERENT INVENTORIES."

Ma'am, they're leggings.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Don’t worry, every one of those stands was proftible. At least, for the people at the top of the pyramid.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

uli2000 posted:

There has to be a cautionary tale in that those Lularoe salesladies had a consistent customer in your wife and it made more financial sense to lose her sales, but gain the upstream referral income.

Also your choir teacher doesn't sell Lularoe, that's just how they all look.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SacrificialGoat posted:

Crap like that has become increasingly common in retail overall. When I worked at Walmart they calculated the amount of time you had to unload a truck by the number of things on the truck. Around the time I left they started actually timing poo poo with computers and it changed depending on how many people were doing it. Now, anybody that's ever seen the back of a store knows that there is absolutely no way you can accurately predict how long a truck takes to unload. There was no option for "some poo poo went wrong so it took forever" either. All that mattered was a specific set of numbers and if one truck ever took too long it counted against everybody pretty badly.

Then of course the time per item kept getting shorter and shorter.

Food trucks were the worst. There was one where somebody at the warehouse decided it was a good idea to put a 3,000 pound stack of orange juice on top of a single layer of eggs. Needless to say the eggs didn't survive and we had to clean up a thoroughly absurd amount of egg goo. We got poo poo for not saving the eggs as well as taking time to clean up after that pallet came off because gently caress you that poo poo is slippery and if anybody falls in the process we're going to get poo poo about it.

So much of this poo poo happens because somebody, somewhere with an MBA crunched some numbers and went "hey let's measure this then make the employees that do the real work stay within this range of numbers. Oh, then it'll count against them when they inevitably don't and we can avoid giving them raises. Wow, I'm such a genius! Give me millions of dollars."

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I work for a manufacturing company. About 15 years ago we shifted to a just-in-time supply chain. One of our plants was incurring too much demurrage because production was behind. Things weren't loaded and ready to go when they were supposed to be. The solution - tie the plant manager's annual bonus to railcars/trailers leaving on time. He met his target and got his bonus, but we spent almost 2x on transportation that year because the railcars/trailers were leaving half empty.

It's not just retail.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Similar here, where we show up to do a pickup, and the lines of communication have failed: the person who inputs the order never calls ahead to verify stock, the person who should pull the order never does (or never starts to get it together) so when we show up, a 3 minute window becomes 20 or 30 minutes. All while we're on a countdown with a ton of other orders. We used to be able to reschedule the pickups, but corporate has taken that away rather than deal with the mess of rescheduling Every loving Pickup because perhaps 1 out of every 15 are ready.

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/business/sears-bankruptcy/index.html

Aaaaaaaand Sears is done.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

quote:

The company issued a statement saying it intends to stay in business, keeping stores that are profitable open, along with the Sears and Kmart online shopping sites.
But it said that it's looking for a buyer for a large number of its remaining stores and that it will close at least 142 stores near the end of this year. That's in addition to the 46 store closings already planned for next month.

It's just a little bankrupt! It's still good, it's still good!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Bankruptcy for corporations versus bankruptcy for individual people sure is some poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Bankruptcy for corporations versus bankruptcy for individual people sure is some poo poo.

Yeah, but if I declare bankruptcy I’m still around 7 years from now. Sears won’t be around in 7 months.

Edit: according to this article, Sears is losing $125k a month, which sounds like a misprint. A company as big as Sears should be able to survive near forever at a couple of million lost per year, but that’s not including debt payments. So perhaps Sears just can’t afford their debt.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/business/sears-bankruptcy/index.html

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Oct 15, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What originally made sears start dying and why has it taken so loving long to die? I feel like the thing’s been in my peripheral vision as “thing everyone knows is dying” forever but it never actually goes away.

I was last inside one in 2016 and the entire place was completely empty except for 1 employee, attached to an otherwise populated mall. It was legitimately creepy.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The CEO never had any retail experience and they completely missed selling things on the internet until way after the fact.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
He also believes heavily on Ayn Rand and made departments compete against each other for sales which led to hilarious things like advertising where underwear and bras were next to outdoor equipment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Digirat posted:

What originally made sears start dying and why has it taken so loving long to die? I feel like the thing’s been in my peripheral vision as “thing everyone knows is dying” forever but it never actually goes away.

I was last inside one in 2016 and the entire place was completely empty except for 1 employee, attached to an otherwise populated mall. It was legitimately creepy.
Their current CEO is also their primary lender. Until today he had been giving the company money to pay their debts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

He also believes heavily on Ayn Rand and made departments compete against each other for sales which led to hilarious things like advertising where underwear and bras were next to outdoor equipment.

Not next to, fully replacing them in the fathers day advertisements.

The idiot made it so departments were incentivized to not sell sears products

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Sears is an example of the opposite of running retail correctly

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

How Rude posted:

Sears is an example of the opposite of running retail correctly

Yeah, I think the only reason they've made it this far is because of name recognition with olds, and well that market is literally dying

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I think the only reason they've made it this far is because of name recognition with olds, and well that market is literally dying

Appliances. That's what all the olds buy at Sears. Appliances and Outdoor poo poo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Barudak posted:

Not next to, fully replacing them in the fathers day advertisements.

The idiot made it so departments were incentivized to not sell sears products

I was not expecting the reason to be this amazing

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

I was not expecting the reason to be this amazing

If you haven't been following do some research. The guy has consistently picked the worst possible decision then came up with an even worse one somehow. Its amazing how badly Sears has been run in recent years.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Their current CEO is also their primary lender. Until today he had been giving the company money to pay their debts.

For anyone hoping that Eddie Lampert is going to learn something from this about the efficacy of libertarianism, the main lesson will be "gosh i sure got all that Sears money back through my hedge fund."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Despite mandating that all employees work from corporate headquarters and canceling all remote and work from home positions, Lampert works from his home in Florida. There was a leak in the roof at Sears Headquarters that was there for 18 months, possibly still going to this day, that Lampert personally denied funds to repair because he didnt see why it mattered.

That is the story of sears.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

For anyone hoping that Eddie Lampert is going to learn something from this about the efficacy of libertarianism, the main lesson will be "gosh i sure got all that Sears money back through my hedge fund."

He's lost so much money that there's no way he actually breaks even on this. Even if he did, going from being the guy on Wall Street and making billions of dollars a year to just breaking even for 15 years is a pretty stark downward trend (not that he doesn't deserve worse.)

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

The K-Mart in Lewiston, Idaho is remaining open? It's a shanty of a town and a shanty of a store (I worked there for a very short period). Why?! They have a Walmart, Costco, and even a Shopko that is paradoxically thriving. With 28k people you can't support too much. And why are so many remaining open in general?

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

There are still that many Kmarts? :psyduck: