Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Look up your local Porsche car club chapter (or SCCA/NASA/etc) and sign up for a HPDE. That will get you on track with an instructor in car to show you around the track and hopefully break any bad habits you have. Once you do a few of those something like a Skip Barber or other would be more worth it IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Got to drive on COTA last weekend :toot: It was just the back half of the circuit they weren't using for Rallycross, but they were doing test drives in VWs and Subarus, and I got to have some fun in a Golf-R and an STI. I think you weren't supposed to go very fast but I told the ride-along instructor that I had a little experience and he basically just let me do whatever the hell I wanted. Man, rounding turn 10 at WOT is unbelievably fun, almost thought I was gonna lose it. Also shooting down that long back straight at full speed.

In other news, this happened at Hallet recently, holy crap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w5ukQqHJBM

Supposedly a brake failure. Going so fast he shoots right over the tire barrier and into the trees :ohdear: supposedly he walked away from it, banged up but otherwise fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is some sick runoff in a high speed spot, bravo
Maybe that's because the loving track wasn't mean to be run CW

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BlackMK4 posted:

That is some sick runoff in a high speed spot, bravo
Maybe that's because the loving track wasn't mean to be run CW

Yeaaaaah somebody should go beef up those barriers holy poo poo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Motorcycle days don't really run CW there, but when they do there is airfence. People still get hurt.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yikes. You can hear the pedal hit the floor repeatedly, gross. I guess keeping it straight in that situation is ideal, he prob could have cranked the wheel and hit passenger or driver side first, but that seems not great at that speed...

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I don't like when races are 3 weeks apart.

I think I could rebuild one of these in my sleep now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My rears have 1/32 and 2/32 left and are in need of replacement soon. I have one autocross left before I switch to winters. Should I:

1. Drive the old tires and replace the rears in the spring
2. Just order PS4s now and try them out for the next few weeks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
replace them all at once, mixing tires with a large delta in heat cycles is blindingly obvious if you drive the car hard

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hold off unless if you have a place to store the tires over winter.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

replace them all at once, mixing tires with a large delta in heat cycles is blindingly obvious if you drive the car hard

Oh whoops, sorry, didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't be replacing all 4.

Phone posted:

I have a place to store them. Ordered from Tirerack. Can't wait to try them out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

is it you or savington that runs supermiata? i was watching a video of one of you at chuckwalla and i've got a question :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Savington is TSE

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Savington runs in Supermiata.

I just wreck my car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_a3-wXprUQ

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FatCow posted:

Savington runs in Supermiata.

I just wreck my car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_a3-wXprUQ

:drat: that sucks. That whole thing and the few seconds after look like a mess. Hopefully the damage wasn't too bad.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Most of the right front wheel well is trash.

Def broke beyond repair:
UCA
LCA
Lower ball joint
Sway bar endlinm

May be fixable:
Shock

Likely broke:
Subframe
Upright
Hub

Not damaged
Brake caliper/bracket
Sway bar
Lug nuts & studs

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, man :( . That car being spun was completely blind to you, drat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No kidding, and the camera would have had a better chance than the driver at seeing it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Kind of a weird spot to spin too, I would think.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
How the gently caress do you spin on your way into Oak Tree?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Dumb stuff happens at Oak Tree, it's a slow double apex and people get antsy. The best one I've seen the aftermath of was 4 wide on the entry, and the Integra on the outside winding upside down.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

Most of the right front wheel well is trash.

Def broke beyond repair:
UCA
LCA
Lower ball joint
Sway bar endlinm

It's been a really solid season for you, hasn't it? What're you going to do if the subframe is borked?

EDIT: vvvv Yes, sorry my sarcasm hasn't come through.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 9, 2018

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
If by solid you mean, "car has been wrecked for half of it."

I have absolutely no idea how he spun and ended up there. Unassisted spin as well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It never rains here, but it is supposed to rain tomorrow

On a scale of forfeit the prepaid $150 and send it breh where am I with these nt01s?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Is that the whole fee or just a deposit. What's the total if it is?

They'll work on a wet track but not on standing water.

I'd skip sessions that are actively raining. If it stops but isn't dry you could give it a shot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, that's the total for a DE with NASA AZ if you register early.
Unfortunately, it is only 4 x 20 sessions so I usually also register for their time attack group for an extra session / $30.

I'll give it a shot. I'd take the Civic Si since the wheels / pads from the S2000 go right on but it isn't worth the effort.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, that's the total for a DE with NASA AZ if you register early.
Unfortunately, it is only 4 x 20 sessions so I usually also register for their time attack group for an extra session / $30.

I'll give it a shot. I'd take the Civic Si since the wheels / pads from the S2000 go right on but it isn't worth the effort.

Did you survive? :ohdear:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I only ran two sessions because I ended up getting completely soaked and the car was leaking a ton of water inside (an inch in the trunk when I got home) -- we basically had the remnants of a hurricane come through. Everything was fine on track as long as I stayed off line and away from the puddles, but I had a weird thing happen coming into one particular corner I've never had happen before.

Second lap out in the rain coming into a longer corner (5-6-7 Arizona Motorsports Park) the inside rear had a huge vibration that felt like the wheel was coming off until I added throttle, then it went away completely. I played around with it for a few laps and I was able to replicate it by just not picking up the throttle early like I do in the dry and it never happened when I did. Car drove completely normally, I see nothing loose, etc. I am guessing it was rcomp + cold + rain + not gripping.

On the way home the car hydroplaned terribly as soon as I got on the highway so I ended up having to take surface streets some 35mi home :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 15, 2018

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I failed my checkout ride to de3 because I started driving like trash when I got behind a race prepped mustang that wouldn’t give me a point by. Was on his rear end so much that I was closing in on an uphill corner while completely of throttle and that made me not trust him in front of me and made me miss apexes on the rest of the lap and a half I was behind him (checker came out before I could drive through pit). How do you all keep hitting your marks while making sure not to hit the idiot in front of you and also be ready to react in case they do something stupid?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I was less lucky with AMP this weekend: first session out a Miata in comp school (doing their off line driving exercise) locked up and plowed into my back door / suspension as I turned in at the end of the main straight. The good news is that the other driver admitted it's his fault and he's paying for the repairs, so among the outcomes of someone else running into me on track this is fairly good :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KidDynamite posted:

I failed my checkout ride to de3 because I started driving like trash when I got behind a race prepped mustang that wouldn’t give me a point by. Was on his rear end so much that I was closing in on an uphill corner while completely of throttle and that made me not trust him in front of me and made me miss apexes on the rest of the lap and a half I was behind him (checker came out before I could drive through pit). How do you all keep hitting your marks while making sure not to hit the idiot in front of you and also be ready to react in case they do something stupid?

I back off and wait to get a run on them through a corner (if there is open passing) or run through the hot pit. If they are dumb enough to not point by or back off then I really don't want to be near them when they inevitably make a mistake.

heffray posted:

I was less lucky with AMP this weekend: first session out a Miata in comp school (doing their off line driving exercise) locked up and plowed into my back door / suspension as I turned in at the end of the main straight. The good news is that the other driver admitted it's his fault and he's paying for the repairs, so among the outcomes of someone else running into me on track this is fairly good :v:
Sorry dude, I saw your car sitting in the center there as I was coming in from my second session. Tried to find you to offer a ride, if you needed one :(

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 15, 2018

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Go through the pits if it's an option, if not I just dial back my speed a bit, sticking with the dude ahead but not crowding him. Focus on your vision - look where you want to go, leave enough of a gap that you've got time to react to whatever gently caress up they're going to do. Don't trust the driver ahead of you, but trust your own peripheral vision to pick up his fuckups so that you can react. Being able to manage traffic is important as you step up in groups, and being able to stay on line behind someone who is driving poorly and/or practicing off line stuff is important.

Ill only follow closely if I know the driver ahead of me. Otherwise, allow a gap and close it the last corner or two before the passing zone. You really shouldn't encounter a driver like the one you're talking about if you're in an open passing session.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
How's chump/champcar to run with? I had a couple people mention the race at Road America next weekend and just ... well, realized the Miata shell I picked up a while ago would work pretty well. It's kind of tempting in terms of something I could probably throw together out of mostly parts I have sitting around.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

We last ran with Chump in October 2016, at RA. They really cleaned up the racing since they started and we initially ran with them. I'd recommend at least going to a race but preferably buying a seat with another team to see if you enjoy it before going all in and building a car.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Well, I mean, I could run the same car with my existing race group.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Are evo X's a good platform for track fun, or is the general wisdom to stick to older 4g63 evos?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

PaintVagrant posted:

Are evo X's a good platform for track fun, or is the general wisdom to stick to older 4g63 evos?

I just bought one, I'll let you know in a year lol.

I would think most of the 8/9's have a lot of wear and tear on them now.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

I just bought one, I'll let you know in a year lol.

I would think most of the 8/9's have a lot of wear and tear on them now.

Post some pics, my dude.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
There's an Toyota MR-S at the local (120mi away) PickNPull, is it worth making a race car out of? I think its $999, I usually have gotten about 25% less with the cars I buy there. Yes, I've bought 4 from there over the years.

We* built a Daihatsu Charade that could do 2:18 on the old 15 turn T-Hill track, so I'm pretty sure I could make an actual sporty car fast.

*SoCal AI Krew and tons of helpers along the way

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
EVO X is a decent car. A bit heavy, but otherwise good and pretty reliable. I had a hand in a couple of the cars that Mitsubishi gave to tuners back when they came out. You can do cams, intake, exhaust, tune, maybe e85 and make a good amount of power without too much to worry about. Access to the turbo/downpipe is a little tight but not horrible. Key thing is that if you touch the downpipe or turbo hardware you need to replace it all with new stuff from the dealer and use a torque wrench to tighten it. Otherwise it likes to come lose. And the heat shields back there are sharp and will cut the poo poo out of your hands. And the turbo oil feed is a hassle to get to so if it comes off or gets changed be really loving sure it doesn't leak. I had a pretty miserable day at an evo vs sti magazine thing years ago because of that.

The dual clutch trans needs a lot of cooling to work on track, and doesn't put up with much power. Some of the suspension stuff is a little annoying to do like a front swaybar and ball joints and control arm bushings. They're also really sensitive to ride height change. One of our customers who raced time attack and did a lot of testing with our custom KW clubsports saw some pretty big lap time increases just being like 1/2" too low.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 19, 2018