Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Codependent Poster posted:

Stephanie: "After the unfortunate incident in Saudi Arabia with all of our wrestlers being detained, we are now going to prove we are at the forefront of the Women's Revolution by making all of our shows focus on our talented female roster and renaming ourselves Women's Wrestling Entertainment!"
The entire men's roster could be sentenced to death and creative would still not have anything for Sami Zayn to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I forget how reliable ringsidenews is, but http://www.ringsidenews.com/2018/10/12/exclusive-wwe-officials-scrambling-find-new-home-wwe-crown-jewel/

quote:

Our sources have told us that there is currently a lot of internal heat within WWE concerning the Crown Jewel event being held in Saudi Arabia on November 2nd. They are putting pressure on Linda McMahon to talk to her husband and we have been told that there will be a meeting tomorrow on the matter.

The thinking at this point is that they are either canceling the event or moving it, but the overwhelming desire is to simply relocate Crown Jewel to outside Saudi Arabia. They are likely to keep the same name as before, it just won’t be in the controversial country.

Just as the statement WWE put out said, they are monitoring the situation and there are some who are pressing hard for a switch or adjustment of some kind.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
please put it in qatar

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Welcome to WWE Crown Jewel LIVE here in Corpus Christi, Texas!

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
if they move the show then who's paying for it

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wouldn't keeping the name and just moving it void the entire purpose for it existing in the first place and make them look even more stupid

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Welcome to WWE Crown Jewel LIVE here in Corpus Christi, Texas!

this is also acceptable

Baron Corbin posted:

if they move the show then who's paying for it

vince pulls the worlds greatest face turn and aligns wwe with iran in the persian gulf cold war

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Wouldn't keeping the name and just moving it void the entire purpose for it existing in the first place and make them look even more stupid

"but we already paid for the banners"

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

If they keep the name I imagine they just won't address the venue change at all on air and pretend like nothing happened

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

knowing what I know about Vince after having been watching this poo poo for 3+ decades, I can't really believe he'd change anything about this event (and I can't imagine how they even legally could without eating a huge lawsuit from the saudis?)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

If they keep the name I imagine they just won't address the venue change at all on air and pretend like nothing happened

Yeah, you'd get some hand wavey "due to recent events the venue has changed" and nothing more. Its not like WWE is gonna offer a public apology for getting in bed with KSA, catering to their demands on the roster, and spreading propaganda for them.

They'll just turn a house show into a Network Event and if anyone ever brings it up scream about Evolution.

Corporations don't feel shame.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this is also acceptable

vince pulls the worlds greatest face turn and aligns wwe with iran in the persian gulf cold war

"I'm here in beautiful Tehran to announce we have FOUND the Hidden Imam and it's THE SHOCK MASTER"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

GrimGypsy posted:

knowing what I know about Vince after having been watching this poo poo for 3+ decades, I can't really believe he'd change anything about this event (and I can't imagine how they even legally could without eating a huge lawsuit from the saudis?)

I feel this way too but too much heat might make him cave from the PG image he loves now

It could go either way - we will have to see what happens at this meeting that is supposedly happening tomorrow

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean Vince is going to be stubborn and want the cash but also Vince is going to need to keep local stations happy in a years time so maybe he should cave and at least postpone the event till the heat dies down which knowing the current climate of new bull poo poo happening should be...a month

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The "putting pressure on Linda McMahon" part throws me. The White House is pushing this? The hell?

As if the Trump Admin wanted to do something or that they'd be concerned about getting Vince McMahon on board.

But I guess maybe someone just likes Linda and is telling her to cover her rear end?

edit: You know, rereading that I realize I saw "Linda McMahon" and just assumed her Cabinet position was her priority and context. But the article actually says that its people within WWE pressuring Linda so my post is just really stupid.

On the other hand I did find this in actually reading the article.

quote:

Only time will tell what decision is made in this situation, but it seems like WWE has found themselves in a situation that they never thought they’d be in.

Who would have ever imagine this deal could result in political and PR controversy?!?!

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 13, 2018

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

HBK: Like I said last week, it's time to come out of retirement and face the Undertaker and Kane... at Survivor Series!
HHH: That's right, just like we said last week, it's time to face those guys at Survivor Series!
Cole: Big match for Survivor Series, as reported last week, plus of course the WWE World Cup to determine the best in the world is also happening at Survivor Series, just like we reported last week!

I know this is supposed to be a joke, but I really feel nobody edits and rewrites their history like the WWE, sometimes as quickly as the very next day (see the New Day's joke about Charlotte Flair's multiple title reigns).

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
It really is genuinely impressive how Vince is able to treat his employees like literal dogshit and get them to be thankful for the opportunity

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Wasn't the word that Lesnar only agreed to do Crown Jewel because the Saudis threw millions of dollars at him? Please give me a future financial conference call where the WWE has to explain the dip in their money that came from not only eating the cost of Crown Jewel but having to spend an entire other event's budget on Lesnar alone.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sorry if this was covered:

But when does the new XFL officially start? Does it have a date? Is it actually going to happen?

Coz I thought it was all still in the potential/hypothetical/theoretical stages at the moment with nothing concrete for at least a couple of years.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Sorry if this was covered:

But when does the new XFL officially start? Does it have a date? Is it actually going to happen?

Coz I thought it was all still in the potential/hypothetical/theoretical stages at the moment with nothing concrete for at least a couple of years.

According to the website it starts in 20 cities in 2020.

They just recently named Oliver Luck their CEO and Commissioner apparently.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The pictures used to report on this are perfect.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1050749044526583808

https://twitter.com/PWStream/status/1050400632513867778

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I feel like Linda telling him not to would just make Vince 100x more likely to do it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

sexpig by night posted:

"I'm here in beautiful Tehran to announce we have FOUND the Hidden Imam and it's THE SHOCK MASTER"

"Greetings WWE Universe I'm Michael Cole here doing guest commentary for today's beheading of a woman who had the AUDACITY to want to drive herself to a doctors appointment! Now let's find out who our guest executioner will be..."

TIME TO PLAY THE GAAAAAAAAME

UWA HA HA HA

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So, whatever Vince and WWE do, there's like. Less than zero chance Cena shows up for this show, right?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

VJeff posted:

So, whatever Vince and WWE do, there's like. Less than zero chance Cena shows up for this show, right?

Why wouldn't he? He was announced for the world cup thing already and that angle seemed big enough that they wouldn't just drop it.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Be realistic, there's no way in hell WWE moves the event unless they get an ultimatum from the State Department. And let's face it, there's a very slim chance of that happening. Trump has financial interests in Saudi Arabia and a very cozy relationship with MBS, he's not going to do poo poo.

WWE is going to double down on the propaganda during the show

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 13, 2018

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
the wrestlers deciding to just not go would be incredible, but Vince has created a culture of company men who are terrified of losing their jobs

They'll just handwring about it and then go make propaganda for Saudi Arabia

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Low Desert Punk posted:

the wrestlers deciding to just not go would be incredible, but Vince has created a culture of company men who are terrified of losing their jobs

They'll just handwring about it and then go make propaganda for Saudi Arabia

All it would take is one wrestler prepared to make a stand and not go. Then the rest who thought the same would follow suit, (I think).

The ringleader would be very quickly found out and punished though, so it is finding the one who is big/brave/bulletproof enough to make the stand.

Roman this is your time to shine!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

They may open themselves up to lawsuits but it becomes a question of international contract law at that point which is reallllllllly complicated

To whit: WWE is an American based company in Conneticut, Saudi Arabia is... Saudi Arabia. Is the contract therefore governed by contract law of Saudi Arabia or by US law? If they are going to sue WWE is it in a US court, or a Saudi court, or an entirely different venue (which the contract may stipulate... which could be thrown out anyway if deemed a wholly inappropriate venue) and most importantly lets assume the contract is governed by Saudi law and they get a judgment against WWE, then the US would need to enforce the judgment which I am assuming a treaty exists to this extent but there are lots of cases of just because you have a judgment doesnt mean it can be enforced (i.e. a successful suing of an online poker company in Belgium has never been enforced as the Isle of Man wont acknowledge Belgian courts have any legal status there, nor Belgian gambling laws).

Conflict of Laws is a really fascinating area of law and its complicated as gently caress, thanks to globalisation it is happening more and more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_of_laws

Fake edit: there may be a real chance the contract is governed by the Hanbali school of Sharia law which would be a whole nother can of worms.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

BrigadierSensible posted:

All it would take is one wrestler prepared to make a stand and not go. Then the rest who thought the same would follow suit, (I think).

The ringleader would be very quickly found out and punished though, so it is finding the one who is big/brave/bulletproof enough to make the stand.

Roman this is your time to shine!

Roman standing up for anything but WWE would be the biggest swerve of the decade

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah but this time instead of being a young urbane network they're trying to become a niche for people who want shows like Last Man Standing and WWE.

Last Man Standing and In Living Color are such absolute opposites that now I want to see a mashup

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Just a heads up but Ringside News isn't reliable. Take a gander at the stupid wrestling fans thread on why.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would think John Cena's image would matter more and he would say no, he can't make it. Brock may not care but he's fully capable of going "gently caress this. I don't want to deal with this poo poo. You're gonna pay me anyway, Vince. I'm going to UFC for a while." If Roman were to make a stand and people align behind him, he may get punished, but if it makes the WWE not go then I dare say that would get him over.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!
Of all the people currently employed by WWE who would make a stand about not wanting to go to Saudi Arabia over human rights issues in general, and the murder of a journalist in particular, Roman "Vince Push Benefactor Du Jour" Reigns is certainly not going to be one of them.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A funny video

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

is the rock gonna be there tuesday

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
What if, and hear me out here, the fans decided to make a stand?

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

JayMax posted:

What if, and hear me out here, the fans decided to make a stand?

Just like the time they invaded the ring and demanded Daniel Bryan be let into Wrestlemania

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

An Apple A Gay posted:

is the rock gonna be there tuesday

Probably via video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PWInsider posted:

With all the focus on WWE Crown Jewel in light of the current situation in Saudi Arabia, we have received a lot of feedback regarding whether the show should go on or not. WWE has publicly stated they are "monitoring" the situation.

As of today, the show is still moving forward with the company working on different logistics and production aspects of the event. The company was working on talent itineraries and other logistical aspects of the show yesterday, PWInsider.com has been told.

Obviously, things can change depending on how the situation continues to develop, but internally, all signs are it is full steam ahead with the 11/2 event, which will air on the WWE Network.

• Locked thread