Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What if I watered down the coke? Or swapped it with Diet Coke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Don't do that your poisoning someone!!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't think that kind of thing reflects poorly on someone because i care about the employee, i think it reflects poorly on someone for wasting time with juvenile penne ante bullshit instead of creating a basic professional environment; while additionally leaving their rear end without much cover since i'm going to take a guess that "spike their drink" isn't written down in their workplace disciplinary policy in the event that a terminated employee starts making a fuss about harassment and a hostile work place

the fact that it's a lovely thing to do to a person is entirely incidental

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Bear in mind the person who originally brought up this bullshit again specifically said to "injure" someone, and that the last time this came up it was intentionally burning people with hot pans, not just tampering with people's beverages

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've been out of the industry for years but I can promise you that every single coworker I ever had would much rather have their drink salted than getting sent home and written up. One of those is far more likely to provoke a reaction since then you're loving with their paycheck.
Wonderful. Then it should actually work to stop the behavior. How much money is putting your drink up worth?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I think the best management decision is to inform the kitchen that nobody is allowed drinks anymore because so-and-so can’t stow his properly, and turn a blind eye while they code red him in the walk-in

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I know that hospo is weird but lol if you think sabotaging drinks is an acceptable form of behaviour correction

Saltdrinkgate

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It just reminds me of a couple of the fuckwit chef's I ran across early in my career when I was still dishing. The first drank a litre of scotch a day, smoked in the kitchen and expected everyone else to do the same cause he wasn't paying people to have breaks. He also slung the frypans straight across the bench at you so you had to watch when he was plating up to catch them so that you didn't cop a hot frypan and it's contents on the back of your legs. The other champion threatened to debone me alive and cook me in the dishwasher with each step explained in explicit detail. All I'd done to deserve this tirade was walking past him with a pile of blunt as poo poo house knives on the opposite side of my body to where he was and didn't say behind knives. I instead said simply behind.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Might be can-o-worms territory but I figured this might be a good place to ask:

How do I tip on a prix fixe tasting menu that is paid at time of booking (not at the restaurant)? Am I supposed to tip differently on wine pairings or just apply the same multiplier as I would food?

Never done this before... Had planned to carry 20-30% of the total bill in cash with me to the venue.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is there no service charge already on the bill? Restaurants that make you pre-pay like Alinea typically include all the fees up front.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Wonderful. Then it should actually work to stop the behavior. How much money is putting your drink up worth?

Except most of the BOH employees I dealt with absolutely needed every hour they could get. It would depend on which employee, but missing even a single shift could be pretty bad. I try not to impact anyone's income if I can possibly avoid it.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Cutting shifts for something so trivial is stupid and being down a man because they cant put a drink in the right spot is stupid. I guess its how convenient is the drink spot? If it involves me leaving my station gently caress that.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Except most of the BOH employees I dealt with absolutely needed every hour they could get. It would depend on which employee, but missing even a single shift could be pretty bad. I try not to impact anyone's income if I can possibly avoid it.

Then store drinks correctly? Container with a lid, below prep surfaces. If that's too much hassle or effort, then I doubt I want them working for me anyways.

quote:

Cutting shifts for something so trivial is stupid and being down a man because they cant put a drink in the right spot is stupid. 

Guess hand washing, clean prep surfaces, etc. are all also trivial. If it violates health code, it isn't trivial. Open container above RTE foods is a critical violation.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 12, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
If you're afraid of issuing negative consequences because people won't like them, I think you shouldn't manage people.

You make, or enforce, the rules. If they choose to break those rules, then you're not loving with their paycheck, they're loving with their own paycheck. If the rule is dumb and needs to change, well, that's a different conversation. Enforcement is supposed to be real though, and actually matter.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Mu Zeta posted:

Is there no service charge already on the bill? Restaurants that make you pre-pay like Alinea typically include all the fees up front.

Thanks- I'll definitely look for that beforehand

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Maybe they should stop impacting my income by violating health code and getting me bumped back into high risk. Can I bill them instead, its more than a lost day of work? When we get shut down, are they going cover everyone else who tried to do their job, but lost it all to a dumb gently caress who can't work a line? Really then; if it's not worth a day's pay, if it's not worth the continued operation of the place paying everyone's bills; how much money is worth moving a single cup? At what point do I become a charity for arrogant assholes?

Personally, if you can't put a cup a way when your livelihood literally depends on it, you can't be trusted. Again, the odds that this is the only basic instruction they are ignoring is 0.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 12, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

As long as we're having management chat, I've got a pickle, and I'm fairly new to being a shift lead so I don't know how to deal with/phrase this to some of the chucklefucks I'm wrangling.

There's always at least one person who pisses and moans about having to work until close and not getting first dibs on cuts. Then in the next breath they talk about how poor they are. I just want to shake them and bark "DO YOU WANT MONEY? Do you not understand that the more hours you work, the more money you get in your paycheck, you loving moron? Also, do you realize you're bitching about closing to your shift lead, who closes every goddamn shift and NEVER gets to cut out early?"

...sorry. Guess I was less looking for advice, and more needing to vent, it was a rough day. The kicker for me today was a guy who pulls this and was all puppy-dog-eyed when yesterday, as the remnants of Hurricane Michael bitch-slapped our town, whined about having to walk home in the torrential rain and wind because "I can't afford the bus until I get paid tomorrow" and my boss took $1.75 in quarters out of the register so he could get a bus. Then today, payday, I'm stuck in line behind him at the gas station right after we got off work at 3pm as he's buying a $261 money order. Bullfuckingshit you didn't have bus fare, you gently caress, you came in at 5am and we don't get breaks, so I know you didn't get your check and cash it already. You had bus fare for days. Nothing adds up, except that I hate this guy because he's lazy and stupid as gently caress and lied to us all.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As long as we're having management chat, I've got a pickle, and I'm fairly new to being a shift lead so I don't know how to deal with/phrase this to some of the chucklefucks I'm wrangling.

There's always at least one person who pisses and moans about having to work until close and not getting first dibs on cuts. Then in the next breath they talk about how poor they are. I just want to shake them and bark "DO YOU WANT MONEY? Do you not understand that the more hours you work, the more money you get in your paycheck, you loving moron? Also, do you realize you're bitching about closing to your shift lead, who closes every goddamn shift and NEVER gets to cut out early?"

...sorry. Guess I was less looking for advice, and more needing to vent, it was a rough day. The kicker for me today was a guy who pulls this and was all puppy-dog-eyed when yesterday, as the remnants of Hurricane Michael bitch-slapped our town, whined about having to walk home in the torrential rain and wind because "I can't afford the bus until I get paid tomorrow" and my boss took $1.75 in quarters out of the register so he could get a bus. Then today, payday, I'm stuck in line behind him at the gas station right after we got off work at 3pm as he's buying a $261 money order. Bullfuckingshit you didn't have bus fare, you gently caress, you came in at 5am and we don't get breaks, so I know you didn't get your check and cash it already. You had bus fare for days. Nothing adds up, except that I hate this guy because he's lazy and stupid as gently caress and lied to us all.

These are also the people that halfass every close because they want to leave, can't show up on time to open, and call out every other week.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Maybe he was getting a money order for rent? Or a car payment or some other bill that had to be paid, I'm not defending him but I've been there.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JacquelineDempsey posted:

obviously there's an extreme inconvenience physically and mentally on a day you had scheduled off, and lord knows i've brushed off a desperate call for help when i happened to have an elusive two day weekend lined up and planned out, but it would boggle my mind the amount people would bitch about not getting hours and then beg off whenever anyone tried to call them in on short notice

and i know you already know this, but no one will ever, ever give consideration to the way you bust your rear end. pushback when your boss don't recognizes it, but let it just roll off you when people you're supervising don't notice because they never will

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Field Mousepad posted:

Maybe he was getting a money order for rent? Or a car payment or some other bill that had to be paid, I'm not defending him but I've been there.

i'll give him credit for asking for bus money instead of a ride honestly, i would eat the $1.75 before i'd deal with some goober completely loving with the setup of my passenger seat any day

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
So we do a steak night fundraiser once a month. I rendered the tallow and made our house gravey with it. Sooo good. Also I take the ends of the bread and make croutons with it. Anyone else got any good tips on using waste/etc?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Pour a bunch of gelatin into the drink

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've been in the "I need money but fuuuck it's so mind-meltingly slow and I could see the girlfriend a little earlier tonight but I don't want to ask too much so that they give me less hours. Man, but it's still daylight outside. On the other hand..."

Closing is easily my least favorite part of kitchen work.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Managers during closing are my least favourite part.

Yes, I could either do a poo poo job, or work so hard I'll take a year off my life to get out 15minutes earlier. But I'm not being payed enough to kill myself for you, and this needs to be done properly. I am sure getting home at 12:45 instead of 1:00 is just going to ruin your life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think he's talking less about the guy trying to get out at 12:45 instead of 1 am and more about someone gets cut before the restaurant is closed because it's too slow to justify that many cooks being there and the other guy complaining every time it's not him.

Fifteen minutes here or there doesn't matter much on your paycheck. Always bitching about needing money and always wanting to leave three hours earlier than normal takes a special kind of dumb.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I was just saying what I hated most about closing. I always laugh at those people who are crying about being poor, but are the first to have their hands up when it's time to cut somebody.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Well the trip to Spain went well. Great country.

I did a dick bag move and just left without telling anyone. I had a meltdown.

Well first day back and I got my job back so it all worked out. Restaurant industry!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A Man and his Hog posted:

Well the trip to Spain went well. Great country.

I did a dick bag move and just left without telling anyone. I had a meltdown.

Well first day back and I got my job back so it all worked out. Restaurant industry!

How are you possibly 32. Are you legally considered an adult?

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Man my life just goes.

Trust me. I’m surprised I’ve made it this long.

Anyways, back to work!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm pretty sure I'd have salted your drink. With cause.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Rg3 doesn't strike me as the sort who's generally opposed to slipping something into someone's drink.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I think he's talking less about the guy trying to get out at 12:45 instead of 1 am and more about someone gets cut before the restaurant is closed because it's too slow to justify that many cooks being there and the other guy complaining every time it's not him.

Fifteen minutes here or there doesn't matter much on your paycheck. Always bitching about needing money and always wanting to leave three hours earlier than normal takes a special kind of dumb.

She, not he, but no worries there. And your second paragraph sums it up. Don't come bitching to me about how half your paycheck goes to child support because you need to get your dick wet all over the city but couldn't use a condom so now you need to man up, but yet you can't be arsed to pull 2 more hours. That you were scheduled for.

When you're doing it because my actual a-list closer (also a rare BOH woman, and the absolute bomb) is in the loving hospital.

I've totally had it with this guy. And it ain't just me, the rest of the kitchen wants him gone. He's so loving lazy and incompetent, it's not even funny.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 13, 2018

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I do not have GIMP or Photoshop, and I don't know how to use them anyway.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 14, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Plan Z posted:

:vince:

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
LOL

Gold.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Bravo sir

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Plan Z posted:

I love you Plan Z.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Guess who suddenly remembered he could have lowered his mouse sensitivity and saved some time on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Plan Z posted:

:allears: