Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's a Rockstar game, it's basically gonna be the same as it was going into a Cluckin' Bell to replenish your health.

I wish I wasn't so busy with everything else to play this when it drops, especially since this sounds like one of those games that will consume my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

shut up blegum posted:

It'll probably only have minor impact. Like if you don't put on a coat while going up in the mountains, you stamina may drain a bit faster, but you probably won't freeze to death :shrug:
That being said, I can't wait to groom my horse, take care of it, learn it some tricks and then accidentally shoot it in the back of the head with a shotgun while I'm chasing outlaws.
Yeah at the very least on the ammo front, I'm expecting "Hey you know what would be better than those dime store bullets? EXPLODING BULLETS" more than New Vegas style "80% of store bought ammo is garbage, good thing you can craft the good poo poo"

Probably the only reason horse inventory would drag me down is due to being an indecisive weapon hoarder that wants enough guns for every ammo type under the sun :v:

As long as our horse can't starve to death, we'll probably manage.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 13, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I mean you had to do similar management in breath if the wild vis a vis the clothes in differing environment so I'm not too mad about it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah but in those you could literally die without the right equipment. I don't think it'll be quite as harsh in RDR2.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd imagine you're going to quickly fall into finding a favourite rifle and side arm and only want to use that, so managing your guns from the horse is probably going to be negligible unless you're going deep into the wilderness to shoot deer or something.

Why on earth would you ever give Arthur a shave though.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

I mean you had to do similar management in breath if the wild vis a vis the clothes in differing environment so I'm not too mad about it.

Or you could eat food. Or drink potions.

Mostly my concern is that all the minor busy work will add up to unfun busy work.

I just get leery when companies hype up poo poo like taking showers and clothing getting dirty.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
It's just another layer so that NPC's react differently to you, also it's not just mud and dirt, if you've carried a dead body blood with be in your clothes as well.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so anyone knows if the bonus of the medium edition are worth it? i read is a mission and some cosmetic thingies?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm sorely tempted to play the entire game as a fat, antisocial, goony outlaw who never bathes

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm sorely tempted to play the entire game as a fat, antisocial, goony outlaw who never bathes

but what about your character¿

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Touché

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DoctorGonzo posted:

so anyone knows if the bonus of the medium edition are worth it? i read is a mission and some cosmetic thingies?

There's going to be so much in this game I doubt you'd miss it and they will almost certainly make it available separate eventually, even if it costs money still

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Why on earth would you ever give Arthur a shave though.

Look mutton chops don’t work if your chin isn’t clean shaven

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also how customization will work? Like in the first game were you buy entire sets? Ir more like in GTA ?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Also how customization will work? Like in the first game were you buy entire sets? Ir more like in GTA ?

There are "sets" but it sounds like every piece of the outfit is custom. Shirt, pants, coat, boots, etc. I even read that you can decide whether or not sleeves are rolled up or pants are tucked into boots

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It sounds like an expansion on GTA Online’s clothing buying. You can buy individual pieces or outfits that basically package all the individual items together. You get a discount on the outfit if you already have some pieces.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I hope the game has some of the same "mystical" tones that Red Dead Redemption had. Stuff like Tumbleweed, the Strange Man..

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Same. I'm wondering if we'll play the ferry boat robbery the Stranger mentions. I'd love for some sort of Judge Holden type character we could cross paths with in the game. There are so many great supernatural stories that take place on the frontier during this period. Hell, they could put in homages to half of Ambrose Bierce's ghost stories.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m guessing another encounter with the mysterious stranger Marston encounters in the first game, foreshadowing what happens later.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I feel like Red Dead should become the flagship series, it's just way cooler than GTA is imo.

Plus, the biggest boon is that Red Dead's characters tend to be way more bearable than GTA's. I honestly can't stand most GTA characters (Roman's cool tho) nor the stories because it's just worthless scumbag after worthless scumbag, especially the main characters. I know the series is meant to be satire on how crappy American society is but it gets tiring. John was a good guy for the most part who I actually wanted to play a long game with. Plus the story itself was at least enjoyable and I cared for some of the cast.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

BillBear posted:

I feel like Red Dead should become the flagship series, it's just way cooler than GTA is imo.

Plus, the biggest boon is that Red Dead's characters tend to be way more bearable than GTA's. I honestly can't stand most GTA characters (Roman's cool tho) nor the stories because it's just worthless scumbag after worthless scumbag, especially the main characters. I know the series is meant to be satire on how crappy American society is but it gets tiring. John was a good guy for the most part who I actually wanted to play a long game with. Plus the story itself was at least enjoyable and I cared for some of the cast.

John was just Nico

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

BillBear posted:

Whilst I wouldn't mind it being a flagship series I think it may lessen the experience and novelty of playing a game based in the 'wild west'.

What they should do is learn that people love games set in different eras and make more games with the same base mechanics from different periods. As much as I enjoyed playing LA noire I would have preferred another R* GTA-esque title than the pseudo-cinematic one we got.

shut up blegum posted:

It'll probably only have minor impact. Like if you don't put on a coat while going up in the mountains, you stamina may drain a bit faster, but you probably won't freeze to death :shrug:
That being said, I can't wait to groom my horse, take care of it, learn it some tricks and then accidentally shoot it in the back of the head with a shotgun while I'm chasing outlaws.

Probably but we can hope they have either a harder difficulty mode or patch in some sort of 'survival' version of the main game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

BillBear posted:

While I agree that practically every GTA character is insufferable, I think having one RDR per decade helps keep Rockstar from it's bad and lazy writing habits that seem to be more prevalent in GTA. I'd rather they give other genres the RDR treatment. I'm still waiting for Agent, dammit.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
one thing i saw (the article about trying to find a fishing rod) said you have to pat your horse occasionally to keep it calm or the fucker will buck and bolt on you

I bet stuff like this becomes less prevalent as you get better horses

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Press square to show affection

My God you have done it again Rockstar

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I really liked Nico.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Hugh Malone posted:

one thing i saw (the article about trying to find a fishing rod) said you have to pat your horse occasionally to keep it calm or the fucker will buck and bolt on you

I bet stuff like this becomes less prevalent as you get better horses

I feel like that was in the last one. You had a companionship meter or something and the horse would be less likely to spook on you or buck if you kicked too much? Also if i remember it was entirely ignorable and just playing regularly you would eventually fill the meter anyways. Im sure all these sytems are like that, a small bonus you can completely ignore.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BillBear posted:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

While I agree that practically every GTA character is insufferable, I think having one RDR per decade helps keep Rockstar from it's bad and lazy writing habits that seem to be more prevalent in GTA. I'd rather they give other genres the RDR treatment. I'm still waiting for Agent, dammit.
It's not "We're playing broken people in a broken city" that's the source of most people's "scumbag burnout", I think.

It's the fact "You're a backstabbing two bit thief, and I'm a psychotic killer and drug dealer" used to be your victory speech, complete with uplifting music. Rather than trying to prod a reaction out of the player for committing crimes in crime game.

But I'm optimistic about RDR2 not throwing in as much tone clashing stuff as recent GTA. They probably won't pull something like "Oh boy, we get to rob a train!" side content, then turn around with "Those train conductors had families, you monster" and not being allowed to progress the main plot until you are suitably chastised for the innocents shot/cutscened to death in your vicinity.

As much because allowing players to do their best impression of The Ugly or Gummy Joe would seriously take the wind out of the sails of such navel gazing.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 13, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The problem with GTA lately is they are trying to reproduce the movie falling down but forget to not make the character a horrible awful rear end in a top hat right from the beginning.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also gtav came out right around the time American culture became too stupid and silly to parody, and rockstar wasn’t even that good at writing American culture satire to begin with

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

Press square to show affection

My God you have done it again Rockstar

Press X to Kiss Your Wife Horse

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

ZeusCannon posted:

I really liked Nico.

GTA4 had the best story of any GTA. San Andreas was the best GTA game.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I actually kinda love IV the best, I know, I know, I'm boring and bad. There's just some charm to it I love and find lacking in the other titles.

It's radio sucked rear end though, at least compared to SA or even V.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

BillBear posted:

I actually kinda love IV the best, I know, I know, I'm boring and bad. There's just some charm to it I love and find lacking in the other titles.

Honestly V's radio was mediocre as hell. Sleeping dogs continues to have the best radio of the GTA games after San Andreas

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Agean90 posted:

Honestly V's radio was mediocre as hell. Sleeping dogs continues to have the best radio of the GTA games after San Andreas

Nothing with Roundabout can be called "mediocre as hell" :colbert:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BillBear posted:

i love 4's story and characters but the tone clashes to much with the world in my opinion. like its some weird sorta introspective look into crime and its effects and revenge and hypocracys but it has a cyber cafe called TW@ and the statue of libirty is clinton with hot coffee.

i feel like 5 despite its various story issues, gets the tone more consistent.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i love 4's story and characters but the tone clashes to much with the world in my opinion. like its some weird sorta introspective look into crime and its effects and revenge and hypocracys but it has a cyber cafe called TW@ and the statue of libirty is clinton with hot coffee.

i feel like 5 despite its various story issues, gets the tone more consistent.

i feel like the tone clash kinda fits with the whole immigrant thing. Like Nico is from an area that is just horrific and has none of the wackyness GTAmerica has and he carries that attitude to his new home.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've posted this before at some point but the best story moment i had in GTA4 was completely unintentional

i'd just finished one of those police dispatch missions that had me gun down a bunch of dudes under some bridge near the gasworks on the coast, and right after the shooting stopped niko got the phone call from mallorie announcing hers and roman's wedding

so here was niko, phone to his ear and assault rifle in his free hand, happily congratulating the two of them while he stood knee-deep in blood and distant towers belched greasy fires into the sky

all it was missing was a slow-mission walk back to his car and a fade to credits while this song played in the background

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
anything to get me excited about this game if I know nothing about it and played RDR and thought it was just alright? I don't play a ton of Rockstar games I guess, trying to decide whether to wait for this or get rear end creed odyssey right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gay Horney posted:

anything to get me excited about this game if I know nothing about it and played RDR and thought it was just alright? I don't play a ton of Rockstar games I guess, trying to decide whether to wait for this or get rear end creed odyssey right now

while i like asscreed odyssey alot, get this. this will blow it out of the water.