Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm really glad I found this thread because it's nice to have other people to chat with about the show other than my wife and sister :). I'm not referring to Rin Setsu A/Enigmatic Gale as "vapey" though, sorry.

Good season so far although the cliffhanger ending of episode 2 was a little jarring since I'm not used to that from Urobuchi.

I'm really surprised that Shou Fu Kan's DIY magic scroll band aid workshop project was successful. I really didn't think it would work. I also noticed that although he could read the scroll he didn't really test whether or not he could still pull things out of it.

What's the deal with the cop (glasses guy)? My wife thinks he's a member of the bug gang but I think he really is what he says he is (a cop or equivalent) although he's probably not trying to arrest Shou Fu Kan as much he probably wants the Index for himself. I also wonder if he's onto Enigmatic Gale being way too nice and cooperative and I wonder if he's not trying to con Enigmatic Gale too somehow.

Princess of Cruelty owns because she doesn't fight directly and she preyed on 2 of Shou Fu Kan's biggest weaknesses, large crowds of enemies and his compulsion to protect the weak. I personally don't think compassion is a weakness but clearly it can be a disadvantage when your enemies are aware of it and abuse it to gently caress you over.

Guitar Guy is the best and I hope he doesn't die tragically trying to save his old buddy or get mind controlled. Anyone who fights with :rock: METAL :rock: completely rules and should always be on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

What's the deal with the cop (glasses guy)? My wife thinks he's a member of the bug gang but I think he really is what he says he is (a cop or equivalent) although he's probably not trying to arrest Shou Fu Kan as much he probably wants the Index for himself.

Space Flower posted:

Glasses came from Shou/Sheng's home country where he was picking up all the crazy magic swords so that mean people couldn't use them. To me, this implies that Glasses isn't lying about coming from the government, but that the country's govt is just that corrupt and that's part of why Sheng left.

My assumption is that he's both an actual government official and also part of the evil gang because he's a corrupt magistrate, though it could go either way.

Also I definitely hope he's onto Lin Xue Ya's ruse because I desperately want to see him knocked down a peg.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lemon-Lime posted:

My assumption is that he's both an actual government official and also part of the evil gang because he's a corrupt magistrate, though it could go either way.

Also I definitely hope he's onto Lin Xue Ya's ruse because I desperately want to see him knocked down a peg.

I want him to be a not corrupt magistrate, because you hardly ever see an actual virtuous magistrate in these kinds of stories.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

I want him to be a not corrupt magistrate, because you hardly ever see an actual virtuous magistrate in these kinds of stories.

even if he is a virtuous magistrate, he's definitely working for people who aren't and just want evil magic swords.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

The way he's portrayed makes him obviously sinister as heck.

And yeah I know he's from Seiyuu but IDK if he's really a magistrate or not. I think he might be because of the red feather bodyguard entourage with him but I guess it doesn't really matter because Enigmatic Gale is clearly lying about being a special investigator for the local government so whatever.

BTW I loved how the director zoomed in on his teeth from 3 different angles the first time he said Shou Fu Kan's name.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

even if he is a virtuous magistrate, he's definitely working for people who aren't and just want evil magic swords.

Yeah, I don't think he's corrupt, but he's DEFINITELY evil. There's a reason Shang stole those swords from them in the first place!

relatedly, I really liked that moment with him and Gale where they all but say "so we're both sinister assholes lying to each other about our knowledge and goals to suit our own nefarious purposes, right? right, OK, glad we got that cleared up."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that there are multiple, opposing villainous factions after Shang. Literally everyone of any significance wanting to do terrible things with the Index would explain a lot about why he fled the country rather than staying and fighting alongside some virtuous faction. Plus, this show does love having a rich, creamy soup of conflicting interests scheming against and backstabbing each other, so a diversity of murderous assholes is usually a safe bet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

His entire soliloquie is about how he misleads in broad daylight. In season one everyone but Shang knew that he was a super rear end in a top hat from the get go they just didnt know how much of an rear end in a top hat he was.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they all thought he was a different kind of rear end in a top hat who wanted to outsmart people and steal stuff. even spk and the demon thought so, and they had already been on the receiving end of vapey's sadism.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I'm assuming that blue haired magistrate is basically the Inspector Zenigata to whatever Lupin-rear end shenanigans Shang got up to in Xi You. Doesn't matter if what he did was virtuous, it was still against The Law.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Vapey's climactic character moment in S1 was him getting knocked down a peg.

Sure he got back up immediately after because it's not like a dead guy can own you twice, right?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Xarbala posted:

Sure he got back up immediately after because it's not like a dead guy can own you twice, right?

I mean, Mei Tan's dead and Lin Xu wasn't. That's a victory in and of itself for the pragmatic.

And then Shang Bu solved the other problem pretty much immediately. That takes care of the double-ownage.

Nick Buntline posted:

Yeah, I don't think he's corrupt, but he's DEFINITELY evil. There's a reason Shang stole those swords from them in the first place!

Narratively, blue haired Glasses Dude is either part of the Evil Organization and is on another angle at getting the Sword Scroll back from a different angle than the Princess of Cruelty or he's working with the Evil Organization because Shang did indeed steal those swords, even if he stole them from arsehole wizards.

The intrigue comes from the question of 'is the majority of people in Xei Yu an arsehole wizard' considering the evil smile thing this guy has going on.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Lin is anything but pragmatic, and if he wanted Mie dead he could've just killed him - this would have actually been much easier than what he was trying to do.

He wanted Mie alive and humiliated - he wanted it so much he spent twelve whole episodes putting together a massive, complex scheme with no goal other than humiliating him. Not only did his scheme failed, but Mie also died meaning that he'd never get another chance.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
xi you had a higher caliber of assholes. there's like, a network of largely incompetent warrior priests keeping dangerous treasures under comically inept guard in highly permeable fortresses in this country. if dark swords of ultimate power were as easy to come by in xi you as they are here they'd just ransack a temple instead of going after shang.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xarbala posted:

He wasn't knocked down enough pegs.

After Sword of Life and Death, he needs to be knocked down more pegs, hopefully all the way into the ground. :rip:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The full version of the OP is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USmtjXUUlQ0

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I’m watching the first season on Goonami and it’s really dope

Action is great and everyone is an rear end in a top hat, it’s awesome

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was grinning or laughing throughout all of episode 1. This show is so fun and Shang and Vapey are the best.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

im going to kiss the people responsible for Sawano x TM Revolution

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

He wasn't knocked down enough pegs.

After Sword of Life and Death, he needs to be knocked down more pegs, hopefully all the way into the ground. :rip:

The thing about Sword of Life and Death is that while Lin's methods were extremely cruel, he also had something of a point. That tournament didn't serve a higher purpose than allowing people to feel good about sticking sharp objects in each other for fun, and Sha's failure to grasp that made his quest for redemption selfish sophistry. That's why I think the narrative will be somewhat kind to him, even if he suffers humiliations and setbacks - he's not got all the answers, but he's the stick to Shang's carrot, leading the country away from destructive and idiotic traditions. He's an rear end in a top hat, but a useful rear end in a top hat - if nothing else, his habit of dumping problem kids on Shang forces our actual hero to step up and be a good dad to his new homeland.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

I mean, Mei Tan's dead and Lin Xu wasn't. That's a victory in and of itself for the pragmatic.

And then Shang Bu solved the other problem pretty much immediately. That takes care of the double-ownage.

Narratively, blue haired Glasses Dude is either part of the Evil Organization and is on another angle at getting the Sword Scroll back from a different angle than the Princess of Cruelty or he's working with the Evil Organization because Shang did indeed steal those swords, even if he stole them from arsehole wizards.

The intrigue comes from the question of 'is the majority of people in Xei Yu an arsehole wizard' considering the evil smile thing this guy has going on.

I mean Lin's entire reason to go with everyone was to own Mei, he spent a lot of time and effort to own him, and in the end he failed to own him. Its a complete failure for Lin, he just salvaged it because he learned about Shang in the process and oh boy is it going to be fun to try to own the people that will come after him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean Lin's entire reason to go with everyone was to own Mei, he spent a lot of time and effort to own him, and in the end he failed to own him. Its a complete failure for Lin, he just salvaged it because he learned about Shang in the process and oh boy is it going to be fun to try to own the people that will come after him.

He actually did own Bones of Creation, but Bones immediately owned him back harder.

Gale is the most well written character because he's a cruel heartless selfish gently caress but he only humiliates other cruel heartless selfish fucks so sometimes you actually kind of like him. But then you see what he did to SFK and SFK didn't deserve that. I agree that making a mockery of the tournament was a cool thing to do but he didn't need to go that far.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Rin also heartlessly trucked and betrayed Dan Fei for no reason but for fun. He’s not heroic in any way; he’s just an rear end in a top hat

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Is funny to see him win and it's funny to see him lose. He just rules.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Elephant Ambush posted:

But then you see what he did to SFK and SFK didn't deserve that.

If Sha Wu Sheng's rep wasn't as bad as it was, Lin Xu's plan wouldn't have worked. There was no way The Screaming Pheonix Killer was going to rebrand himself by winning a tournament no matter how well he behaved during it. So while I agree that Lin Xu's scheme was on the level of 'holy poo poo man no wonder he hates you' on some level Sha Wu Sheng did indeed deserve that.

That's part of what makes the Enigmatic Gale interesting. You can see the justice/nobility in what he's doing even if he being an arsehole about it and why Dan Fei and Shang Bu are better than him in terms of character. Heck, even Juan Can has better moral fiber than Lin Xu.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I won't be satisfied unless Lin suffers a more definitive loss. Even if the directors after the show ends put his puppet next to the garbage cans out back and strapped an m80 to it, I'd consider it canon.

Bonus if the fuse is lit by his smoking pipe.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
It's hard to imagine Lin suffering a more definitive loss because he doesn't seem to value anything except being smug and owning people. His only fear is failure, and he experienced that with Mie. He could die, I guess? but it doesn't seem likely.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

The biggest way to shut him down would be to somehow make everyone aware of him and his shtick. He's essentially an internet troll trying to rile up a reaction from his victims, so if they don't engage with his antics he can't get what he wants.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

But that's the thing, he's a master at getting people involved. Even when you know he's trying to take a poo poo on you you still think you can outshit him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Urobuchi intentionally wrote everyone else on the show to not be smart enough to just call him out on his bullshit and tell everyone else what his gimmick is.

People would still fall for it though because villains are usually too prideful and over confident and most everyone else is just dumb and easily duped.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Most of the cast knew his bullshit, though, and the only reason nobody told Shang anything is that they assumed only a massively huge bastard would willingly associate with Lin.

Also if anything The Night's Lament successfully outduped Lin and the only reason her plan failed was because this random wanderer just happened to have several dozen legendary super swords in his back pocket.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

a cartoon duck posted:

Most of the cast knew his bullshit, though, and the only reason nobody told Shang anything is that they assumed only a massively huge bastard would willingly associate with Lin.

Also if anything The Night's Lament successfully outduped Lin and the only reason her plan failed was because this random wanderer just happened to have several dozen legendary super swords in his back pocket.

That's a good point and another reason she's my favorite villain from the first season. I hope we see again this season. She should be probably trying to figure out a way to remove the space portal sword in Tan Hi's new monastery or whatever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's a good point and another reason she's my favorite villain from the first season. I hope we see again this season. She should be probably trying to figure out a way to remove the space portal sword in Tan Hi's new monastery or whatever.

I think she merged with that super-demon (it speaks with multiple voices at once, and hers is one of them), so I'm afraid she likely won't be coming back any time soon.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I think she merged with that super-demon (it speaks with multiple voices at once, and hers is one of them), so I'm afraid she likely won't be coming back any time soon.

Nah, during the first season she talked about having a spell that turns a dead person's blood to acid but no one in the party was interested. Then, during the movie, the black sect remnants mention meeting a demon that taught them that very spell and they were trying to use it to more or less suicide bomb Shang. That pretty heavily implies she's still around and a bit pissed at her god being spaced.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

People would still fall for it though because villains are usually too prideful and over confident and most everyone else is just dumb and easily duped.

also this is a wuxia world, everyone is constantly screaming about their honor and the ~SUMMIT OF SWORDSMANSHIP~ and having death matches over the slightest provocation, and lin's entire life purpose is showing how loving stupid those people are

which is why he gets along surprisingly well with shang, who also doesn't give a poo poo about being the best sword guy ever

e: basically in this universe once you reach a certain skill level you either go full crazy or realize how pointless the whole thing is

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 14, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

K Prime posted:

Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that Soul Edge made an appearance.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

7c Nickel posted:

Nah, during the first season she talked about having a spell that turns a dead person's blood to acid but no one in the party was interested. Then, during the movie, the black sect remnants mention meeting a demon that taught them that very spell and they were trying to use it to more or less suicide bomb Shang. That pretty heavily implies she's still around and a bit pissed at her god being spaced.

Yeah she's still around. After the demon gets sucked into space they show her leaving, and as was sais, in the movie the Gen Ki Shu guys mention "that woman we ran into" who show them the blood into acid spell. That's 100% Kei Gai.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Finally got to see the movie and drat, I feel so bad for Screaming Phoenix Killer. That was pretty cruel of Lin, even if I kinda get it.

I'm really digging the new cast so far, but everyone's already pointed out why they're good. I can't wait to see how Inspector Lin is going to humiliate the other guy though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I want to see the other bug gang people. I wonder if the centipede member will use one of those bladed whips. The spider better not be some cannibal woman. The spider villains are ALWAYS women for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I'm liking Diddy Kong's personality so far. I hope he doesn't end up being an antagonist, although my initial suspicion was that he is the Princess of Cruelty's boss or part of her organization in some way.