Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

I keep forgetting that Saw and Gaolang are supposed to have had a longstanding "rivalry" and Gaolang is 28. I had Saw pegged for being 19 or so myself for some reason.

Wait he is also OLDER then Gaolang? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was really expecting everyone aside from Ohma, Cosmo, Rei and Setsuna to be in at least their 28-29 late twenties or their thirties.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Rei looks completely exhausted because his style isn't supposed to be used for fights

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

I was really expecting everyone aside from Ohma, Cosmo, Rei and Setsuna to be in at least their 28-29 late twenties or their thirties.

Inaba also looks fairly young. Dunno what his actual age is, though. Same age as Cosmo's employer and his own employer is all I recall.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I want to make a translation note at the end, because while that is Muteba's hobby, it's a very culturally linked one the translators didn't get quie right. He's more specifically is a Les Sapeur, which is specfically Congo fashion movement

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

NutritiousSnack posted:

I want to make a translation note at the end, because while that is Muteba's hobby, it's a very culturally linked one the translators didn't get quie right. He's more specifically is a Les Sapeur, which is specfically Congo fashion movement

Muteba is a top 3 character in this manga, that is so drat cool

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

NutritiousSnack posted:

Implying that only does Muteba fight using his senses of smell and taste, he's also able to choose and coordinate clothes, and cultivated a taste for fashion, using smell and taste. :allears:

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Mikazuchi just used Aoshi Shinomori's ryusui no ugoki, basically. In Kenshin its weakness was the moment where he switches to attack but no idea if that's gonna be a thing here. Gaolang seems to think he has some sort of weakness, though it might just be stamina or something because he usually takes everyone out in one hit.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

my parents boyfriend posted:

Mikazuchi just used Aoshi Shinomori's ryusui no ugoki, basically. In Kenshin its weakness was the moment where he switches to attack but no idea if that's gonna be a thing here. Gaolang seems to think he has some sort of weakness, though it might just be stamina or something because he usually takes everyone out in one hit.

I think it might be that Rei's not hitting with deadly force as someone already postulated in this thread, because of the implication of his new style not being a killing art and Saw Paing so far not wilting to anything besides a blow designated to decapitate one ton tuna fish (and even then he got back into the game due to brain trauma applied fast enough after the initial blow)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Joseance posted:

Rei looks completely exhausted because his style isn't supposed to be used for fights

On a similar note, I wonder if lightning punching adamantium skeleton Saw Paing isn't causing a lot more damage to Rei than he is used to.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

On a similar note, I wonder if lightning punching adamantium skeleton Saw Paing isn't causing a lot more damage to Rei than he is used to.

Captain Ahab broke a couple fingers going for an uppercut. I can imagine that just hitting Saw with any real force has a similar effect to Seki's offensive guard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

Gaolong says he has the advantage, I think he is right. Sawpaing is someone you have to do lethal force to if you want a quick end to the fight. Nonlethal blows are not going to end him fast enough and rei won't kill anymore. I bet his style like removal or advance has a limited time frame because of its stress on the body.

Admittedly Julius or Wata would probably be able to break his bones with sheer overwhelming force but otherwise you need to really kill him... Muteba could do it with his heart punch.

I think you guys might be forgetting how much Rei hosed up that one assassin guy who attacked him earlier in the series (because his most recent fight was the simple one-shot against Mockey).

RareAcumen posted:

The surprising thing is that Raian is one of the younger characters (I think he's a teenager, maybe even high school aged).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

I think you guys might be forgetting how much Rei hosed up that one assassin guy who attacked him earlier in the series (because his most recent fight was the simple one-shot against Mockey).

The surprising thing is that Raian is one of the younger characters (I think he's a teenager, maybe even high school aged).

Raian is 21. Cosmo is the youngest at 19.

EDIT: Fishing grandpa and Bando are tied for oldest(in the tournament) at 51.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 13, 2018

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

who did nogi's fighter (sen?) fight in the first round, i don't remember it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

where the red fern gropes posted:

who did nogi's fighter (sen?) fight in the first round, i don't remember it

Actor guy who could copy other fighters moves.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://mangadex.org/chapter/462953/1

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
"The Hammer of Burma" ftmfw.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The ultimate skull's power is something to behold.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

lose already rei you absolute tool

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Aug 24, 2011

wow, rei's going into lethal mode to try and win, who could have seen that coming :smugjones: get the gently caress out of here

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cool that it acknowledged gensais skill being great for fighting as well as killing

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Big fan of the Kure Clan Head giving props to Inaba :3:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet Rihito could have hosed up Mockey guy.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

K. Flaps posted:

"The Hammer of Burma" ftmfw.

seriously that was An Attack for sure

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hahahaha Saw Paing dodging made Gaolong's expression change.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Masami rooting for the opponent of the one who beat him is pretty good. Also, Jerry Tyson has no words for that headbutt.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gaolang apparently has telepathy since he replied to Nezu's thoughts.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

RatHat posted:

Gaolang apparently has telepathy since he replied to Nezu's thoughts.

This has happened a few times and it always bugs me

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I've always just taken it as folks having similar thoughts and the author just progressing through different characters to get them across.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tweet my meat posted:

Gandai and Togo also did it during the Jun vs Muteba fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

These fighters are in the fuckin zone so much that they all exist in the same headspace as they focus on the fights.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://mangadex.org/chapter/463516/1

Aug 24, 2011

rei please just hurry up and lose

:same:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stop. Hammer time.

Brought To You By