Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Ola posted:

Best Tesla color combo so far, IMO: Titanium metallic with beige interior and black headliner. Yes I like chinos, why do you ask?

RED CAUSE RED ONES GO FASTER

My volt delivered my new companion yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ola posted:

Best Tesla color combo so far, IMO: Titanium metallic with beige interior and black headliner. Yes I like chinos, why do you ask?

Incorrect.
Deep metallic blue with a black interior.

Alternate:
Deep forest green with a tan interior. (If that option existed)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tesla paints are too expensive and not really interesting.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Alternate:

Green with tan did exist at least, one for sale here: https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=126731943

Don't know about "deep forest" but you could stream this on the built-in spotify:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATmBOnMJJkE

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ola posted:

Sorry, but Deep Burgundy Metallic on Charcoal wheels with black alcantara / cf / leather interior.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ratbert90 posted:

Incorrect.
Deep metallic blue with a black interior.

Alternate:
Truth.

Also with paint being so expensive wraps are a lot more viable for whatever color you want.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Sorry, but Deep Burgundy Metallic on Charcoal wheels with black alcantara / cf / leather interior.

There's a Model X near me just like that. Its black 22"s are curbed to hell but it still looks great. It's not called Deep Burgundy though, it's Signature Red, only available for the first ordered X and S ones.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ola posted:

There's a Model X near me just like that. Its black 22"s are curbed to hell but it still looks great. It's not called Deep Burgundy though, it's Signature Red, only available for the first ordered X and S ones.
I think that is the same color I am thinking of, it's pretty great and somehow the charcoal wheels come off super classy on it

ilkhan posted:

Truth.

Also with paint being so expensive wraps are a lot more viable for whatever color you want.

A wrap starts at like $3k

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BlackMK4 posted:

I think that is the same color I am thinking of, it's pretty great and somehow the charcoal wheels come off super classy on it

A wrap starts at like $3k

It's still closer than it would be otherwise with how expensive the colors are. Isn't the red up to around $2k now?

An extra $2k to get the color you want and have perfect paint when you trade it in isn't that bad.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like wraps, but they do screw up my sense of math. A self healing clear wrap seems to make so much sense, even if somebody tells you you can repaint the whole car two times for the same price. I'd like to buy a dark grey primered car, then wrap it in my self healing colored wrap of choice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ola posted:

Don't know about "deep forest" but you could stream this on the built-in spotify:

Whoa whoa whoa, there’s built-in Spotify now?

E: oh, outside of North America. Jealous.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

700$ down, $6.4 million to go. (Or whatever electricians charge to install these)

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
coiled charge cable does get warm, kitty knows what's up

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Warrior Princess posted:

700$ down, $6.4 million to go. (Or whatever electricians charge to install these)

I personally had the electrician wire with a plug so I could plug in a welder. I mean this is AI and you aren't charging all the time. Think of all the fun you can have.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Elephanthead posted:

I personally had the electrician wire with a plug so I could plug in a welder. I mean this is AI and you aren't charging all the time. Think of all the fun you can have.

I don’t have a garage or carport.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

All the more reason to get the plug, then. There are weatherproof boxes the plug can live in, and then you can move the charger inside when you're away for a while.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

stevewm posted:

I absolutely HATE this on my old car... A 2011 Ford Fusion. The throttle response is such that it is nearly impossible to take off from any stop without giving everyone in the car whiplash. 1cm of pedal travel goes seemingly from 0% to 70% throttle.

I had an 09 Focus that was exactly the same way. I would accidentally squeak the tires turning at stop signs all the time.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

RZA Encryption posted:

All the more reason to get the plug, then. There are weatherproof boxes the plug can live in, and then you can move the charger inside when you're away for a while.

I can move the hardwired one inside nearly as easily if I felt so inclined. Which I don’t. Low crime, rural townhome. On a scale of things, worry of theft falls just under my excitement for jeb bush in the 2016 campaign. If it’s going to get stolen it’ll get stolen during the 90+ hours a week I’m either at work or asleep. Going on vacation for 4 days isn’t a sudden map ping to EVSE thieves across the country.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Warrior Princess posted:

What made you go with Chargepoint? Everything I have seen recommends the Clipper Creek for value, Juicebox for connectivity and Chargepoint as middle ground IF it is on sale. I really need to put in a level 2, I was thinking Chargepoint but only because they apparently have a new model coming out very soon and will be clearing out their old boxes.

And yeah, installation is a one of the biggest rip offs I have seen, I got quotes for like $950 to drag a line outside on the same wall like 15 feet from an outdoor breaker box with more than enough power for the job. It's literally like maybe, maybe if we are being generous $100 in parts and we are going to charge you out your as in labor because electric car. I think I need to find someone to do everything from mounting the box and the conduit with a pull line for like $100 and then offering an electrician like $200 bucks to connect them together in like 30 minutes worth of work, take it or leave it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My job is with Electric vehicle service equipment, and specifically I get to deal with Clipper Creek and juicebox. Go with Chargepoint. :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I thought 4 and 6 gauge wire was pretty expensive?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Charles posted:

I thought 4 and 6 gauge wire was pretty expensive?

Compared to 10 and 12 gauge, yes it is. As an absolute, no. It’s still (significantly) less than a dollar a foot. That’s why the recommendation is to always install the highest-amperage service your panel can accept; The electrician’s time and labor is WAAAAY more valuable than the marginal price difference between (for example) a 15a and 50a installation.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Compared to 10 and 12 gauge, yes it is. As an absolute, no. It’s still (significantly) less than a dollar a foot. That’s why the recommendation is to always install the highest-amperage service your panel can accept; The electrician’s time and labor is WAAAAY more valuable than the marginal price difference between (for example) a 15a and 50a installation.

per-conductor

You're still looking at around $2/foot for 3 conductors and a ground for 6awg vs 50c or so for 12/3 romex. Depending on the length of the run it'll add up.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Three Olives posted:

What made you go with Chargepoint?

Looks/appearance. It’s getting mounted right next to my front door and I’m a vain person.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

And you preferred chargepoint over the bold beauty of OpenEVSE?

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

RZA Encryption posted:

Every EVSE looks ugly as poo poo except Tesla and ChargePoint. The worst offender is that Chevy-pushed AeroVironment abomination.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm no protectionist but

quote:

Let our experts hand-build you an advanced charging in the USA
(photo of Toronto)
:raise:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Qwijib0 posted:

per-conductor

You're still looking at around $2/foot for 3 conductors and a ground for 6awg vs 50c or so for 12/3 romex. Depending on the length of the run it'll add up.

Whoops, ya. Good point.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Warrior Princess posted:

Every EVSE looks ugly as poo poo except Tesla and ChargePoint. The worst offender is that Chevy-pushed AeroVironment abomination.

Oh yeah I was joking.

Aerovironment as an evse manufacturer is so weird because their main thing is building murder drones for militaries. Not that it would account for any appreciable amount of their revenue, but don't give them money.

I use a bosch that was given to me by my brother who used to have a gen 1 volt. It's only 16a, but the price ($0) was right. I think it charges the spark as quickly as the spark could handle, and in the event the other car needs a faster charge I could always unplug it from the 14-50 outlet and plug in that car's OEM evse. I think it's a 40a? Idk. The 16a is completely fine for our driving habits.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 13, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh yeah I was joking.

Aerovironment as an evse manufacturer is so weird because their main thing is building murder drones for militaries. Not that it would account for any appreciable amount of their revenue, but don't give them money.

They don't, actually, but thanks for the lovely opinion.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ratbert90 posted:

My job is with Electric vehicle service equipment, and specifically I get to deal with Clipper Creek and juicebox. Go with Chargepoint. :v:

Could you elaborate more? Do you mean they have bad customer service or reliability?

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Godholio posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroVironment_Switchblade

"The Switchblade is a loitering munition developed by AeroVironment. It is designed as a "kamikaze," being able to crash into its target with an explosive warhead to destroy it. The Switchblade is small enough to be carried in a backpack and can be launched from a variety of ground, maritime, and air platforms. "

idk that sounds exactly like a murder drone.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Got 9.0 on my 3 this morning. Autopilot is much improved, lanekeeping is more aggressive. Rather than pinballing off the lane markings, it will more actively try to track the center of the lane through turns. The nag seems to be more dynamically adjusted, and not the every-twenty-five-seconds that it was.

Also, missile command.

Also, I’m awful at missile command.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Warrior Princess posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroVironment_Switchblade

"The Switchblade is a loitering munition developed by AeroVironment. It is designed as a "kamikaze," being able to crash into its target with an explosive warhead to destroy it. The Switchblade is small enough to be carried in a backpack and can be launched from a variety of ground, maritime, and air platforms. "

idk that sounds exactly like a murder drone.

Their main business is recon drones. The Switchblade is a niche weapon that's used like a missile, guided by a very nearby human being. So not at all like the implication of a phrase like "murder drone." This is kind of a last-ditch weapon type thing. We can go down this derail if you really want to, but that was a lovely post that deserved a reply.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Godholio posted:

Their main business is recon drones. The Switchblade is a niche weapon that's used like a missile, guided by a very nearby human being. So not at all like the implication of a phrase like "murder drone." This is kind of a last-ditch weapon type thing. We can go down this derail if you really want to, but that was a lovely post that deserved a reply.

I mean you say its a niche thing but they had 51 million dollars worth of contracts involving the SwitchBlade and over 4,000 were used in Enduring Freedom. I'm not going to argue the point the other guy made where "murder drones" are a big part of their business but it is a murder drone that has seen a lot more use than 'niche'. I dont personally care either way, my car is GM who have made everything from the Stryker to Shermans. I don't like the AV EVSE because its the ugliest looking thing on the market, not because the company was involved in war profiteering.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Warrior Princess posted:

I don’t have a garage or carport.

https://www.uline.com/BL_582/Weldin...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Apparently uline is owned by crazy republicans if that matters to you. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/us/politics/liz-dick-uihlein-republican-donors.html

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Godholio posted:

:siren: Aerovironment employee spotted :siren:

You don't have to work for bad companies, you have a choice. If you want help finding a job with a company that doesn't make murder drones, PM me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

:siren: Aerovironment employee spotted :siren:

You don't have to work for bad companies, you have a choice. If you want help finding a job with a company that doesn't make murder drones, PM me.

I work in military aviation and felt like your childish jab deserved a response. Thanks, but I actually really like my current job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So you don’t build murder drones for *that* company but you DO do something for another death-from-the-sky organization?