Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I know that, I mean the whole "put him in uniform and give him a commission" part. Just make him do the job with freedom after.

The Burnham Maneuver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

It's because he was an ace pilot for their Badlands mission.

Which is dumb, but I guess their computers can't fly for poo poo.

He wasn't the pilot for the mission, he was just an adviser. Stadi was pilot.

If I recall he wasn't ranked either, he was just wearing a uniform. He got a provisional rank at the end of Caretaker.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 13, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

He wasn't the pilot for the mission, he was just an adviser. Stadi was pilot.

If I recall he wasn't ranked either, he was just wearing a uniform. He got a provisional rank at the end of Caretaker.

You've clearly watched Voyager more than I have :smug:

Like many things Voyager, the details soon the character were silly and perfunctory. If course, on Voyager almost everything about the characters was silly and perfunctory.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, I just watched Caretaker out of boredom.

Apparently the reason they put the mention of the Caretaker's mate in the episode was because the studio was like "Look we're not sure about this whole 'lost in space' idea, we really just want more TNG." and Rick Berman had to put in a reset button so the show could be sent back to the Alpha Quadrant whenever they want in order to sell it to them.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I wouldn't mind it if they straight-up remade Voyager or Enterprise with the same concept and time period, but with common criticisms fixed

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

MikeJF posted:

Hah, I just watched Caretaker out of boredom.

Apparently the reason they put the mention of the Caretaker's mate in the episode was because the studio was like "Look we're not sure about this whole 'lost in space' idea, we really just want more TNG." and Rick Berman had to put in a reset button so the show could be sent back to the Alpha Quadrant whenever they want in order to sell it to them.

I'm honestly surprised they never did. They obviously never really had any interest in doing anything other than a warmed-over TNG.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BrandonGK posted:

I'm honestly surprised they never did. They obviously never really had any interest in doing anything other than a warmed-over TNG.

Yeah, but then at some point they would have to acknowledge the Dominion war, which I think they would probably have been reluctant to do.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

galenanorth posted:

I wouldn't mind it if they straight-up remade Voyager or Enterprise with the same concept and time period, but with common criticisms fixed

It really would be best if they could just move forward

Set a show a hundred years after TNG with the first intergalactic ship that really has to be autonomous because of communication time. All new poo poo. EXPLORE

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Set a show a hundred years after TNG with the first intergalactic ship that really has to be autonomous because of communication time. All new poo poo. EXPLORE

But can they put Kirk and Spock on it?

McCoy? Never heard of him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Send a whole fleet, we can follow the Enterprise-H but there can be a whole set of them as secondary characters.

Star Trek: Andromeda.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just set it after the fall of the Federation. Everything is Gorn now. All the crewmen, all the characters. Just the Gorn hunting down survivors and feasting on their flesh. It's funny though because it turns out the Gorn are really wacky. At point Spock shows up, but they explain he was Gorn the whole time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In Star Trek Online one of the little gags is that the Gorn are the Klingon Empire's science nerd race.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Star Trek: the Pakled Era

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Send a whole fleet, we can follow the Enterprise-H but there can be a whole set of them as secondary characters.

This really is a good idea. The Enterprise can be the flying Star Base that it should be, and you can have science ships and nu-defiants and things doing their proper work.

Probably have an Admiral in charge of the fleet on the Ent, but not as a major character.

Cool. Won't happen. But cool.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

In Star Trek Online one of the little gags is that the Gorn are the Klingon Empire's science nerd race.

I love the Gorn. I don't know why. Of course I am one of those people who likes reptiles way too much so that probably helps.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
can we get a "Gorn Buddies" gangtag

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

can we get a "Gorn Buddies" gangtag

I am Tosk

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Gorn Addicts

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pakled posted:

Star Trek: the Pakled Era

We look for things to make us boldly go.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

I doubt it'll happen, but I'd really like them to go further into the future too. I'd go even further though, into the 30th or 31st century. The idea is for them to have achieved a Culture-like level of technology where they can basically do whatever they want, and plots focus more on things like diplomacy, ethical dilemmas, and interpersonal relationships. I imagine the ship having an embassy on board, with the Romulan and Dominion ambassadors as major characters, and they can occasionally take on diplomats from new species they encounter. Having Spock, Worf, and Quark as part of the cast gave a lot of opportunities to delve into their respective cultures and develop them. Imagine if after the Enterprise encountered Tholians, they had a Tholian ambassador, or a Pakled, or Tamarian, even as minor characters. I think that would be interesting to see.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A Tamarian school teacher.

"Sophie and D'val, in detention."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Pick posted:

Just set it after the fall of the Federation. Everything is Gorn now. All the crewmen, all the characters. Just the Gorn hunting down survivors and feasting on their flesh. It's funny though because it turns out the Gorn are really wacky. At point Spock shows up, but they explain he was Gorn the whole time.

And once again, I’m made sad by everything Andromeda could have been, but wasn’t. drat you Sorbo.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

TNG S04E20 - I groaned when I realized this would be another paper-thin-excuse-to-put-the-crew-in-period-costume episode, but it turned out pretty entertaining.

Worf's dumb I AM NOT A MERRY MAN! :reject: pun made me laugh more then it probably deserved.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I doubt it'll happen, but I'd really like them to go further into the future too. I'd go even further though, into the 30th or 31st century. The idea is for them to have achieved a Culture-like level of technology where they can basically do whatever they want, and plots focus more on things like diplomacy, ethical dilemmas, and interpersonal relationships. I imagine the ship having an embassy on board, with the Romulan and Dominion ambassadors as major characters, and they can occasionally take on diplomats from new species they encounter. Having Spock, Worf, and Quark as part of the cast gave a lot of opportunities to delve into their respective cultures and develop them. Imagine if after the Enterprise encountered Tholians, they had a Tholian ambassador, or a Pakled, or Tamarian, even as minor characters. I think that would be interesting to see.

Something like that could be a good angle for the Picard show to take. Rather than find some excuse for him to be in the captain's chair of another regular old starship, put him in charge of this sort of mobile embassy representing the Alpha Quadrant or major powers of the galaxy as we know it. You could have all kinds of political stories inside and outside the ship on top of running into weird space poo poo.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The Picard Show better be about Jean-luc running the family vinyard and having to move the still-smouldering corpses of his brother and nephew for the entire first episode.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
"The Picard Show" is a late night variety program featuring celebrity guests and musical acts

how about those mets, eh numbah one?

*cuts to Riker playing a sad trombone*

*cue audience laughter*

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tighclops posted:

"The Picard Show" is a late night variety program featuring celebrity guests and musical acts

how about those mets, eh numbah one?

*cuts to Riker playing a sad trombone*

*cue audience laughter*

... and the audience is the comedy club audience from that episode of ST:TNG where Data tried to be a comedian.

I always loved how appropriate it was that Joe Piscopo was teaching Data how to be funny. It's like they say: if you can't do, teach!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

tarlibone posted:

... and the audience is Joe Piscopo

I made it better

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I made it better

Well played, sir.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Delsaber posted:

Same here. Mine finally died somewhere in early DS9, but the colours started going years before that. Sky shots, Andorians, and Sonic the Hedgehog were all a weird pale shade of green for a lot of my childhood.

The phosphors used on the screens have a finite lifespan. In fact nuclear batteries that use beta emitters get their lifespan ratings from the phosphor used, because the phosphor will degrade faster than the nuclear material.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Picard family vineyard is also an interstellar embassy, where all manner of weird and wonderful aliens come to get drunk and get into wacky adventures. And sometimes, Q shows up!

ed: Picard is made the deputy commander of Starfleet Intelligence

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

The phosphors used on the screens have a finite lifespan. In fact nuclear batteries that use beta emitters get their lifespan ratings from the phosphor used, because the phosphor will degrade faster than the nuclear material.

This poo poo always fascinates me :eng101:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Picard family vineyard is also an interstellar embassy, where all manner of weird and wonderful aliens come to get drunk and get into wacky adventures. And sometimes, Q shows up!

And Riker shows up to talk about finally tying the knot with Troi, and the two of them go for a week out in wine country. Of course, little does Picard know that Riker's out looking for one last fling...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

And Riker shows up to talk about finally tying the knot with Troi, and the two of them go for a week out in wine country. Of course, little does Picard know that Riker's out looking for one last fling...

Keep this up and you're going to get a contract for six to ten novels

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HD DAD posted:

This poo poo always fascinates me :eng101:

Actually that's kinda not true, professional nuclear batteries use betavoltaics to convert the radiation directly to electricity with a diode very much like a photovoltaic cell. However you can build one with phosphors and a photovoltaic cell at home using the little tritium hand lights they sell online. Just buy like ten hand lights, sandwich them between a couple calculator solar cells and wrap it in electrical tape and you have a nuclear battery. In that particular design the phosphor is the part that degrades first. In the factory version the tritium decaying is what limits the lifetime.

These batteries are very small and inefficient. They're only useful for stuff like circuit boards that need constant power (like military chips that need to be able to fry themselves) or medical implants. They started putting nuclear batteries in people back in the 70s in pacemakers but they used Prometheum 147, which is fine by itself but its decay chain includes Pm 146. Pm 146 is a gamma emitter and they decided that actually implanting people with a gamma emitter no matter how small the contamination in the battery was not okay.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thomas Riker is tasked with building a bridge for the Cardassian high command to use in a ceremony. He's really good at it, and begins to take pride in his work even though this is a labor camp. A bajoran prisoner plans to destroy the bridge during a parade, but Tom's gone native and is way too into that bridge.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Thomas Riker is tasked with building a bridge for the Cardassian high command to use in a ceremony. He's really good at it, and begins to take pride in his work even though this is a labor camp. A bajoran prisoner plans to destroy the bridge during a parade, but Tom's gone native and is way too into that bridge.

So the labor camp worked :911:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pick posted:

So the labor camp worked :911:

Well, in the end Thomas realized what he had done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

*Takes off sideburns, falls on plunger, dies.*