Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

One thing that might help is to go all the way to no added liquid at all. Kenji has a fantastic chicken stew with no liquid added at all, and the consistency is perfect every time. Try that recipe to get some confidence.

Have you done this in the instant pot? From what I understand it needs to have a minimum of a cup of liquid or it won't work. It should be fine on a stove top pressure cooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you done this in the instant pot? From what I understand it needs to have a minimum of a cup of liquid or it won't work. It should be fine on a stove top pressure cooker.

There might be enough liquid in the tomatoes and chicken to seal it up, but I would probably add a cup of something to get it to seal.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mu Zeta posted:

No, but a few people in the comments are reporting success.

Luchadeer2:34 AM on 10/5/2017recipe rating:This is a neat, simple, homey stew. Made this in a 6qt instant pot, with 3/4 ingredients because it wouldn’t all fit otherwise. I’m fairly new to the pressure cooking game. Scorching and overfilling were not an issue despite the instant pot manual warnings. Definitely have salt and pepper and maybe a favored hot sauce at the table, as it’s fairly bland. A good crusty bread and maybe a salad would also be good to accompany this stew. The strength of this dish is its cheap ingredients, dead simple preparation and hearty results. This’ll be fun to mess with next time.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

One thing that might help is to go all the way to no added liquid at all. Kenji has a fantastic chicken stew with no liquid added at all, and the consistency is perfect every time. Try that recipe to get some confidence.
I've made this several times, and it's virtually foolproof. Throw in the ingredients (all five of them), turn on, go watch a TV show, eat.

I never added any extra liquid when cooking it in my Instant Pot. There's enough in the chicken, onion, and tomatoes to make it work. The veggies almost completely disintegrate, but they leave their flavors behind.

I know the recipe calls for a whole chicken, but I've also made it with a bunch of boneless (not skinless!) chicken thighs and it was just as good -- and a lot easier to eat without having to pick out tiny bones.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 8, 2018

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That makes me curious. I've been told that you need at least 2 cups of liquid in the Instant Pot to maintain pressure, but I found a recipe on The Wirecutter for 'American-style chicken and vegetables' that doesn't use any liquid. If Kenji's stew works, then it doesn't need liquid as long as there's enough stuff in it, right?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gamingCaffeinator posted:

That makes me curious. I've been told that you need at least 2 cups of liquid in the Instant Pot to maintain pressure, but I found a recipe on The Wirecutter for 'American-style chicken and vegetables' that doesn't use any liquid. If Kenji's stew works, then it doesn't need liquid as long as there's enough stuff in it, right?

I've always heard you need 1 cup. And never had an issue, as that's exactly what I use when I cook eggs.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The ingredients produce the liquid in the recipe I linked.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The ingredients produce the liquid in the recipe I linked.

I imagine most of that comes from the tomatoes, though.

This is the recipe I'm talking about :

quote:

Sauté (or simply add to the pot if you’re short on time) about 4 cups’ worth of veggies cut to roughly equal-size chunks with a drizzle of oil and salt and pepper. Potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions, and garlic are all good options. Layer about 4 pounds of chicken leg quarters on top (thighs and breasts also work well, with or without bones), along with more salt and pepper and an optional bay leaf or other herbs if you’d like. Manual, high pressure, 20 minutes (15 minutes if using boneless chicken). Natural release until it opens on its own (about 20 minutes). Optional: Garnish with chopped parsley.

Do you goons suggest I add a cup of chicken broth, or just leave it as is? I'm really unsure, and definitely new to instant pot cooking.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Onions, celery and mushrooms will give off a boatload of liquid, especially if you salt them early. If you are going light on those, and heavy on the other veggies, I would add a little liquid, otherwise you're probably fine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Do you goons suggest I add a cup of chicken broth, or just leave it as is? I'm really unsure, and definitely new to instant pot cooking.

Between the tomatoes, onions, and chicken, you'll have plenty of water, no need to add more unless you want soup.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've had mixed success with the "vegetables will give you enough water" thing. I've often ended up waiting for 20 minutes just to find out that the thing never came to pressure. And when I do add enough water to bring to pressure, it's super watery and lovely and I have to reduce it for a while to get it decent.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Can't you just add raw steam to the ingredients?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Croatoan posted:

Can't you just add raw steam to the ingredients?

Raw steam is a pain in the rear end to prep, I prefer frozen.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Dehydrated steam takes up less space, just add water and heat.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Internet Explorer posted:

Almost certainly. I grill chicken on Sunday and eat it Mon through Thur. I imagine the salt in the soup would help keep it an extra day. If not, hey, Friday cheat day. :cool:

Sweet, sounds like I have lunches for next week ready. I can't find an exact chicken tortilla soup recipe, so I'm thinking of adding dried beans to this one: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_chicken_soup_in_the_pressure_cooker/

All the ones I've been finding call for chicken pieces; I've got an 8 quart pressure cooker and I'd really like to put it through its paces with a whole chicken.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

wormil posted:

Dehydrated steam takes up less space, just add water and heat.

Those always have too much salt imo. Look for low sodium dehydrated steam.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

It takes ten dozen gallons of water to produce one gallon of steam. That's why pressure cookers are so important, they preserve the planet's steam reserves.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Has anyone said "2 cups 1 pot" yet?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Trabant posted:

Has anyone said "2 cups 1 pot" yet?

New thread title

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I made 3 batches of tomato soup to freeze for winter. I left out the cream to add when we reheat it since I figured it wouldn't freeze well that way. Have to say it came out lovely... I don't think I will go back to canned again! Definitely needed to strain it thru a fine mesh tho.. but its fantastic.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-tomato-soup/?utm_source=fbG&utm_medium=lk

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Disco Salmon posted:

I made 3 batches of tomato soup to freeze for winter. I left out the cream to add when we reheat it since I figured it wouldn't freeze well that way. Have to say it came out lovely... I don't think I will go back to canned again! Definitely needed to strain it thru a fine mesh tho.. but its fantastic.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-tomato-soup/?utm_source=fbG&utm_medium=lk

Ooh this sounds amazing, I think I may do this in the upcoming week. Would straining it through a nut-milk bag work fine, do you think? I should probably just buy a cheap, fine metal strainer..

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

So the recipe I made failed. First, it apparently never came to pressure to cook properly without added liquid, so the chicken was cooked on the outside and raw inside. The veg was still pretty raw.

So what the hell, no big, I'll add a cup of water and try repressurizing to cook everything through. This turned into super bland chicken and veggies swimming in a surprisingly flavorful stock. I don't even know. It's edible, but not particularly good. I might try warming everything in the stock and treating it as soup.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

that's normal in my experience. I had to add water or it doesn't pressurize. I just reduce the liquid afterwards now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

So the recipe I made failed. First, it apparently never came to pressure to cook properly without added liquid, so the chicken was cooked on the outside and raw inside. The veg was still pretty raw.

So what the hell, no big, I'll add a cup of water and try repressurizing to cook everything through. This turned into super bland chicken and veggies swimming in a surprisingly flavorful stock. I don't even know. It's edible, but not particularly good. I might try warming everything in the stock and treating it as soup.

It sounds like you didn't have heat the first time. Did you leave it on warm? You're not going to have raw vegetables after 25 minutes in a pressure cooker. The recipe looks bland to me regardless but I'm tempted to make it just because it seems to defeat some people. The comments are a mix of "it's delicious and there was lots of broth," and "it was a bland failure!"

edit; I picked up some chicken thighs and will make this tonight. It won't be exactly the same because I'm using all thighs, they were on sale, and canned tomatoes because I already have them. I really want to add carrots because a stew without carrots is hardly a stew.

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 11, 2018

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

wormil posted:

It sounds like you didn't have heat the first time. Did you leave it on warm? You're not going to have raw vegetables after 25 minutes in a pressure cooker. The recipe looks bland to me regardless but I'm tempted to make it just because it seems to defeat some people. The comments are a mix of "it's delicious and there was lots of broth," and "it was a bland failure!"

edit; I picked up some chicken thighs and will make this tonight. It won't be exactly the same because I'm using all thighs, they were on sale, and canned tomatoes because I already have them. I really want to add carrots because a stew without carrots is hardly a stew.

I had it heated, and I'm sure of that because the timer came on. Didn't use tomatoes, because the recipe doesn't call for them. I don't know if you're looking at the recipe I posted upthread or the one that someone else posted from Kenji.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I haven't seen a recipe like that one, it sounds fishy. What chicken parts did you use?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I haven't seen a recipe like that one, it sounds fishy. What chicken parts did you use?

I just used thighs, which the recipe suggests after leg quarters (couldn't get my hands on any when the shopping was done that day). Plenty of potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms, and the chicken.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Thighs should be a fine sub, that shouldn't be the problem.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made the Kenji recipe with some minor changes (3.77 lbs boneless/skinless chicken thighs, 28 oz crushed tomatoes, 1 large onion, 7 small-med red potatoes). I realize now that I've made variations of this recipe, with chicken or turkey, veg and sometimes fruit, about a dozen times since having my IP. Changes I would make: cut the chicken into chunks for more even cooking and easier to dish and eat, cut the potatoes into slightly smaller chunks (about 3/4"), cook 5 minutes longer. The amount of liquid from the veg was perfect, everything was tender and super delicious. It took 40 minutes exactly from the time I pressed the button until it beeped + 10 minute natural release.

I had it heated, and I'm sure of that because the timer came on. Didn't use tomatoes, because the recipe doesn't call for them. I don't know if you're looking at the recipe I posted upthread or the one that someone else posted from Kenji.

... recipe on The Wirecutter for 'American-style chicken and vegetables' that doesn't use any liquid.

I thought we were talking about the Kenji recipe but if this is the recipe you made? It's not that much different. Don't saute the veg (much) or you'll cook off the moisture. I don't think 20 minutes is enough time, 25 was just barely enough. I would do 30.
https://thewirecutter.com/blog/instant-pot-recipes/

Here is a good IP recipe blog, Dad Cooks Dinner. Everything I've made from it was delicious and the cooking times were spot on.
https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-recipe-index/

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I really don't get why potatoes are recommended but tomatoes aren't. That recipe is a bit fast and loose which I like but does lead to potential failures. You're cooker really should not have started a timer without hitting pressure, that's concerning imho.
can't embed but here's a hopefully accurate water content of veggies:
http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server./INFO/BOOKS-PHDS/BOOKS/FOODFACTS/html/data/water/water-vegetables.gif

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I would return the IP and get another one. You shouldn't have raw food after 25 minutes.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone made this in an instant pot?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

Just wondering if they have any tips or if I need to add any liquid to it based on what other people’s experience is.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Kenji's pea soup recipe is a great base. Super quick and creamy as advertised. I left out the ham, added carrots equal to the celery, a healthy amount of paprika, and a dash of smoked paprika.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

nwin posted:

Anyone made this in an instant pot?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

Just wondering if they have any tips or if I need to add any liquid to it based on what other people’s experience is.

Works great in the IP for me as written. If anything it could do with a bit of simmering to thicken after your release the pressure.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Is there any reason a stovetop jiggletop pressure cooker wouldn't work with the same exact recipes that an Instant Pot works with? The IP just has a pressure sensor, right? Like, if my 15PSI stovetop Presto wouldn't come to pressure, the IP won't, and if mine will, wouldn't the Instant Pot?

Am I being dumb? Is there some computerized wizardry happening?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made spicy collards in tomato sauce tonight for dinner, very easy and basic. 1.5# chopped collards, .5 cup tomato puree, .5 cup white wine, .5 cup chicken stock, cook for 6 minutes.
Edit + 1 tsp red pepper flakes and 2 cloves garlic

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 14, 2018

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Am I being dumb? Is there some computerized wizardry happening?

Any Instant Pot recipe should work in a stovetop pressure cooker, with a few notes:
1) As long as the IP recipe uses manual mode, and not one of the fancy auto-settings. Even then you could probably make it work, those auto-settings don’t work all that great in my experience.
2) Stovetop pressure cookers get to a slightly higher pressure than electric ones, so you might need to reduce the cooking time (I think up to ~20%? YMMV)
3) Some of the trickier recipes may rely on how the IP gets up to temperature- I’m thinking particularly of the ones that rely on cooking enough moisture out of some vegetables instead of added water. I’m sure you could recreate this with some trial and error though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Arcsech posted:

Any Instant Pot recipe should work in a stovetop pressure cooker, with a few notes:
1) As long as the IP recipe uses manual mode, and not one of the fancy auto-settings. Even then you could probably make it work, those auto-settings don’t work all that great in my experience.
2) Stovetop pressure cookers get to a slightly higher pressure than electric ones, so you might need to reduce the cooking time (I think up to ~20%? YMMV)
3) Some of the trickier recipes may rely on how the IP gets up to temperature- I’m thinking particularly of the ones that rely on cooking enough moisture out of some vegetables instead of added water. I’m sure you could recreate this with some trial and error though.

The other way is what I'm more curious about. People keep asking if a stovetop recipe works in an IP. Why wouldn't it? The pressure difference just means that you need to add a little bit of extra cook time. Some recipes, like those that rely on the pH of the ingredients (caramelized carrot soup for instance) might need a more basic pH, but you can still get there. Those are edge cases, anyway. Why would a recipe without added liquid work in a stovetop model but not an electronic one?

As far as I'm aware, an instant pot comes to pressure the same way as any other pressure cooker: apply heat, make steam, trap steam. What do you mean exactly?

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 14, 2018

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

wormil posted:

Made spicy collards in tomato sauce tonight for dinner, very easy and basic. 1.5# chopped collards, .5 cup tomato puree, .5 cup white wine, .5 cup chicken stock, cook for 6 minutes.
What makes them spicy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The other way is what I'm more curious about. People keep asking if a stovetop recipe works in an IP. Why wouldn't it? The pressure difference just means that you need to add a little bit of extra cook time. Some recipes, like those that rely on the pH of the ingredients (caramelized carrot soup for instance) might need a more basic pH, but you can still get there. Those are edge cases, anyway. Why would a recipe without added liquid work in a stovetop model but not an electronic one?

As far as I'm aware, an instant pot comes to pressure the same way as any other pressure cooker: apply heat, make steam, trap steam. What do you mean exactly?

I have a stovetop and it can come to pressure more easily with just the liquid from tomatoes. With my IP I have to add a cup of water at least. They even say in the manual that you should put in a cup. Try making a beef chili con carne with just some chopped tomatoes and no added liquid in the IP and it won't work. For some reason the IP just seems more sensitive to having liquid. It will give a burning warning and not come to pressure without liquid. Maybe it's something to do with the electronic sensors.