Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
[i][/iGodzilla Raids Again] has, at the very least, the most boring scene in any Godzilla movie, that one near the beginning where a bunch of people watch clips from the first film in a board room in total silence. It's not enough to have to watch stock footage, it has to be watched with all sound effects and music ripped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I have never seen Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla but I love the idea of someone coming up with the title and concept after a night of heavy drinking

“Ughhhhhhh the new Godzilla is due tomorrow what should we do?”

“Uh... Space Godzilla?”

“Sure whatever we need to start filming in 10 minutes let’s go”

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

DC Murderverse posted:

I have never seen Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla but I love the idea of someone coming up with the title and concept after a night of heavy drinking

“Uh... Space Godzilla?”

What's really weird is that in the early stages of development, it was going to be Godzilla vs Bagan, to the point where they made a fully usable suit for the monster that never appeared in any movies (he also was a candidate for one of the Rebirth of Mothra films). He looks like a weird bipedal red and gray triceratops with huge shoulder spikes. I'm positive Super Godzilla for the SNES was intended to tie into this version of the movie, as Bagan's only true appearance is as the last boss of that game. (Also you go through the rest of the heisei monsters up to that point as well, but oddly the people porting it to the US switched out Super Mechagodzilla for the Showa version. It's weird.)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

“Uh... Space Godzilla?”

There was a real fixation in the Heisei era to give every monster multiple variants. Call it the Pokemon Effect.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

It's better than all but two or three films in the Heisei series, and that's me being charitable to Heisei.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I will say that I kind of liked MOGERA as a kid.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

It's better than all but two or three films in the Heisei series, and that's me being charitable to Heisei.

I strongly disagree.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HannibalBarca posted:

Look I don’t really give a tinker’s drat about GRA, I’m more just sick of people bagging on Revenge despite its easily being a giant monster version of the wizard of oz.

Also, Gabara is such a dick

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

K. Waste posted:

Look I don’t really give a tinker’s drat about GRA, I’m more just sick of people bagging on Revenge despite its easily being a giant monster version of the wizard of oz.

Also, Gabara is such a dick

I have nothing against Revenge, which is better than Spacegodzilla and Mothra vs. Godzilla Battle For Earth.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Did somebody say Godzilla's Revenge?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjcfiYH38pA

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I can see why Godzilla's Revenge gets called the worst by fans, but yeah, it's got some interesting stuff going on alongside the clip show.

GRA almost works, you know? Like the angle of it all being from a working class perspective with a bunch of people whose lives are dependent on the fishery is a good one, but the cheapness and some pacing problems hinder it (the plot with the escaped criminals takes way too long.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dylazodelan posted:

[i][/iGodzilla Raids Again] has, at the very least, the most boring scene in any Godzilla movie, that one near the beginning where a bunch of people watch clips from the first film in a board room in total silence. It's not enough to have to watch stock footage, it has to be watched with all sound effects and music ripped out.

ok uh

is this different between the Japanese and American versions

because iirc the US version has narration over that bit, and it's some of the most insanely loving bonkers B-movie science of all time

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ok uh

is this different between the Japanese and American versions

because iirc the US version has narration over that bit, and it's some of the most insanely loving bonkers B-movie science of all time

Yeah, there's no narration in the Japanese version, which is the only version I've ever seen (even before the DVD came out I picked up a subtitled VHS copy at a comic convention, a very exciting find).

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
You’re missing out on the dubbed version. Yogi Bear is in it

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I didn't really care for Godzilla Raids Again.

I've liked all of the Heisei era so far but I'm currently stuck on vs. Spacegodzilla. I've fallen asleep to it four times now and it's really hurting my pace for the October movie challenge.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Heisei peaked really hard with GvKG and never really recovered

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

K. Waste posted:

Heisei peaked really hard with GvKG and never really recovered

Destroyah has its moments, but otherwise it's hard to argue with this

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

K. Waste posted:

Heisei peaked really hard with Godzilla vs Biollante and never really recovered

Fixed that up for you.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

dentist toy box posted:

Fixed that up for you.

Nah, I was right before. GvB is all right, but it’s not even close to GvKG

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I liked Hesei Mothra and Mechagodzilla more than GvKG.

Biollante has been the best so far tho, I will agree with that.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
It's really hard to top the time traveling insanity. drat I need to watch that again.

It and Final Wars are perfect for just crazy Godzilla background noise

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I admire Biollante's ambition, but the execution is just dreadful. Plus, I was never really a fan of the whole "souls are real and you can psychically communicate with them" thing that was introduced out of the blue, and which sets up the tedious running Miki Saegusa plotline.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CRAYON posted:

I didn't really care for Godzilla Raids Again.

I've liked all of the Heisei era so far but I'm currently stuck on vs. Spacegodzilla. I've fallen asleep to it four times now and it's really hurting my pace for the October movie challenge.

yeah, that's the worst Godzilla of all. Just push through it, it's better from here. Though some of the Millennium series are a little dull too (looking at you megaguirus) none are as bad as that one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Megaguirus has Godzilla doing a flying body slam

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You guys are hurting my feelings. Space Godzilla is my favorite. Raditz kidnaps Gohan, and Goku teams up with Piccolo to defeat the superior foe.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

You guys are hurting my feelings. Space Godzilla is my favorite. Raditz kidnaps Gohan, and Goku teams up with Piccolo to defeat the superior foe.

I dare you to give that movie a rewatch. It's so goddamn boring, even with Space Godzilla's cool suit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like Space Godzilla's aesthetic (the movie, not just the monster- has a nice purple/blue palette going on) and some of the characters are good, notably Chinatsu Gondo. Honestly prefer it to Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth which gets bogged down by the faux Indiana Jones stuff.

Godzilla x Megaguirus is blander, and suffers from the male lead creeping on the female lead, what with the whole weird CG anime AI he creates.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If I'm watching Heisei with friends, can I just completely skip Space Godzilla? Or should I just show them a few scenes from it?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bad or boring movies with friends can be fun.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Jimbot posted:

Bad or boring movies with friends can be fun.

The issue is coordinating schedules is tricky so it's like 3 months between movies. Not sure I want to spend that on Space Godzilla.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

wdarkk posted:

If I'm watching Heisei with friends, can I just completely skip Space Godzilla? Or should I just show them a few scenes from it?

show them the DVD cover and then move on

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I forgot Space Godzilla was in it while watching it. Feel free to skip it.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
The only thing that the non-Space Godzilla reliably have going for them are amazing scores, and Space Godzilla doesn't even have that. That composer has now worked on a total of four Godzilla films and I can only remember at most two of his compositions that rise above being "meh."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

I admire Biollante's ambition, but the execution is just dreadful. Plus, I was never really a fan of the whole "souls are real and you can psychically communicate with them" thing that was introduced out of the blue, and which sets up the tedious running Miki Saegusa plotline.

Tbh once giant magic creatures are throwing beams and punches at each other souls being real is relatively simple in comparison

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Assuming they're going with Ghidorah somehow communicating with ecoterrorist lady in King of the Monsters, I wonder how they're gonna play that.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh once giant magic creatures are throwing beams and punches at each other souls being real is relatively simple in comparison

That's a fair point for Showa (where all the weirdness in, say, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster is fairly easy to take in stride), but Biollante was a direct sequel to G'84, which is relatively grounded as far as Godzilla movies go.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The flying, diamond tipped electric razor in 84 was very hard sci fi I agree.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Assuming they're going with Ghidorah somehow communicating with ecoterrorist lady in King of the Monsters, I wonder how they're gonna play that.

My money is still on Ghidorah talking the ecoterrorist lady into freeing him, convincing her that he'll restore the planet to the way it was meant to be. And then surprise, he's actually an alien here to destroy the planet. Exit ecoterrorist stage left, pursued by Ghidorah.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
They're going to use that same weird dubbing effect when Godzilla and Anguirus talked to each other in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMDyWH_ZmE
:allears: