Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Motherfucker I knew he looked familiar.

Edit: one hell of a page starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Spiritus Nox posted:

Plus there's also my creeping suspicion that we're in the Matrix and it's not clear if anyone who's died has stayed dead or even been a real person to begin with. Akane might just be playing glorified GTA (or think that she is) for all we know, running around ganking NPCs and kicking over sandcastles in a harmless simulation.

Some people have noted in the opening that there's a character who looks a bit like Akane, but far creepier, like a person with their house full of trash would in real life. If this is just some simulation she set up to be popular and good-looking, that would be interesting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Some people have noted in the opening that there's a character who looks a bit like Akane, but far creepier, like a person with their house full of trash would in real life. If this is just some simulation she set up to be popular and good-looking, that would be interesting.

Another possibility is this is reality and Akane is just being manipulated into believing it's a simulation by Alexis. Of course, you could also flip that particular trope on its head later and have it turn out that she really is as depraved as she currently appears to be

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Forget transformers, the villain is literally Over Justice, down to the VA and badge on head

I suppose Justice... is OVER.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Justin_Brett posted:

Series website says that's a different character with a different VA, 'Mysterious Boy': https://gridman.net/character/#/nazo. Though if we're in Matrix territory, I guess anything's possible.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
My thoughts on Akane: Given the various Kaiju bodies already dotting the skyline Akane has been at this a while, offing people and altering the timeline. My theory is Akane is targeting her victims based on perceived/actual wrongs from the "original timeline". Seeing her Hikikomori like living arrangements I wouldn't be surprised is OG Akane was the victim say horrific bullying and driven out of school, so flipping out at the teacher wasn't about him not looking where he was walking, but not paying attention in a previous timeline when she was bullied. Hell, if Rikka is the Megatron to her Optimus Prime in design, I imagine that some past iteration of Rikka is central to whatever Akane's deal is.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the beginning riff of the op is literally just the same chord progression and sirius https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNJ4Hjftstg&t=36s

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://my.mixtape.moe/wkfpes.webm

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/a-shattered-glass-anime-ssss-gridman-piles-on-transformers-references/42231/

Good write-up on 2nd episode references.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Little details in the ED that I absolutely love: Rikka's finger-walking to the piano, Akane mouthing the words, the photo shots of Rikka's jumping.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Apraxin posted:

Series website says that's a different character with a different VA, 'Mysterious Boy': https://gridman.net/character/#/nazo. Though if we're in Matrix territory, I guess anything's possible.

Nah, the person I meant isn't actually in that rollcall.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Sorry to :goonsay: but the OP lists Tsuburaya Productions as Tsurabaya Productions twice

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rikka and Akane definitely have some sort of connection (otherwise why would they put them together in the ED?) which will be interesting to see explored further. From some of her dialogue when talking with him in this episode it seems she might possibly know who Yuta really is as well.

But yeah, I kind of like Akane as a villain so far (she's a sociopath but at the same time there are hints that there might be a few more layers to her underneath).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 14, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ignis posted:

Sorry to :goonsay: but the OP lists Tsuburaya Productions as Tsurabaya Productions twice

Whoopsies, fixed.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Okay, after watching the episode and seeing the spoilered comments here - is this actually a sequel to the live action series or not? I'm confused.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

There's elements that make people suspect it might be, but as far as I can tell they haven't outright spelt it out for the audience yet

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Deleter posted:

Okay, after watching the episode and seeing the spoilered comments here - is this actually a sequel to the live action series or not? I'm confused.

Two of the characters (Yuta and Akane) are named after characters that were going to be in the cancelled sequel Gridman F. Also aside from Gridman himself and Junk there hasn't been a single other thing from the original that's shown up so far so it can't exactly be called a reboot but I'm not 100% sure if this is a sequel either. Time will tell of course (also I believe when this was in development the producers were intentionally vague on that front).

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm asking because I've seen stuff saying it has no relation to the original storyline. So now I'm confused and I'm wondering if I need to go watch the original to understand what's happening in this show. I hope it isn't because I have no time or inclination to do so but I don't want to be totally lost down the line.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've never touched OG Gridman or the western version other than looking at quick summaries and I'm following along fine. Time will tell if the connections go beyond Gridman and Junk though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, so far at least you really don't need any knowledge of the previous series to enjoy this on its own merits. My current guess is it's more like something along the lines of Gatchaman Crowds (that is, it has some similar names and terminology but otherwise has nothing to do with its predecessor above a superficial level).

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
OP revealed there's definitely a combined form with all the assist machines. probably no standalone combined form ala God Zenon, unfortunately. But each one having a combination with Gridman is cool too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

OP revealed there's definitely a combined form with all the assist machines. probably no standalone combined form ala God Zenon, unfortunately. But each one having a combination with Gridman is cool too.

You were saying?

https://twitter.com/tokunation/status/1033033090359279617?s=21

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Oh gently caress yes, it's almost exactly a new Thunder Gridman. I can't wait to display it with my original.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

LunarCress posted:

So it looks like all the character designs are actually low-key transformers humanizations? They're relatively deep cut one's at that.

That's an er, interesting place to draw inspiration from.

I did a lil' bit of searching.

quote:

The director, Akira Amemiya has done art for Transformers products in the past and he was a member of the Transformers Go! design competition, but he was not hired.

Guess the director really loves Transformers.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Ccs posted:

That’s fun that they integrated both titles. I wonder what Japan thinks of western recuts of their live action shows.

IIRC, Power Rangers SPD, the US version of Dekaranger, was dubbed in Japanese using the sentai cast, no?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

V-Men posted:

IIRC, Power Rangers SPD, the US version of Dekaranger, was dubbed in Japanese using the sentai cast, no?

Several Power Rangers shows have been redubbed and aired in Japan, it's actually fairly popular over there too (not by a huge amount mind you but there is a fanbase at least). Kamen Rider Dragon Knight was also brought over there and wound up being more successful than it was in the west.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 15, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Larryb posted:

Several Power Rangers shows have been redubbed and aired in Japan, it's actually fairly popular over there too (not by a huge amount mind you but there is a fanbase at least). Kamen Rider Dragon Knight was also brought over there and wound up being more successful than it was in the west.

what the gently caress

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Xarbala posted:

what the gently caress

To be fair you don't have to be very successful to be more successful than Dragon Knight was in the U.S. I'm talking like 2 viewers instead of 1 levels of failure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good enough to actually get a DVD release anyway (also I believe a few Kamen Rider alumni were part of the Japanese dub cast). They even recorded a brand new opening song for it.

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
https://www.facebook.com/HisAwes0meness/videos/2161561390534670/

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1052062045779226624

p low bar

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/makaiJ/status/1051532038535172096

amemiya: "make her locks big and thicc"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

pro click

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who does the Samurai Caliber dude look like, I know I've seen the exact same guy in a show from the 60's or 70's, maybe Lupin?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Who does the Samurai Caliber dude look like, I know I've seen the exact same guy in a show from the 60's or 70's, maybe Lupin?

Grow his beard, give him a hat and he's pretty much Jigen. He had perfect Monkey Punch proportions.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

this show is very good wow

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

He's not kidding, that's a pro click, don't skip just because it's a non-embed fb link (like i did)

e: really looking forward to seeing just what Lindsay Seidel's deal is.

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
https://youtu.be/rcwMwpgqw9E

Translated audio drama.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Nice to hear that Gridman and Samurai Caliber have senses of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This is outstanding and at least as fun as the first two episodes of the actual series. Is there a 1.1 out there somewhere?