Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I thought one of the books said the “classic” uniforms are a fancy Constitution Class exclusive at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Maybe they are special uniforms for the flagship officers that get adopted for general use later.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Captain Pike paid for his Constitution preorder and by god he's gonna wear the bonus DLC uniforms.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The Bloop posted:

It's the Romulan Cloaking Officer all over again!

also the battle bridge lmao

edit: shameful snipe.

What are the most underwhelming things in Trek? Like, things that should have been really cool but were just :effort:?

I think 1st place goes to Archer's speech.
Next for me are Voyager's amazing off-screen cities and the hydroponics bay meant to feed a starship that is just like a dozen spiderplants on a bookshelf

My vote goes to the Dominion. I finally finished DS9, two decades after I started, and lol the whole threat the Dominion is said to pose just becomes laughable in the execution in those final couple of season. I mean you have:

The Jem'Hadar. The most feared, deadly, genetically engineered soldiers who were bred only for war. Aaaand in most of their episodes they are either rebelling against their indoctrination, or getting murked in one on one combat against whichever random human Federation member is fighting them. Finally someone who is more of a jobber than Worf.

The Vorta. Which mostly ended up being represented by that one dude, as a series of clones, and he's a pathetic lickspittle who exudes no menace whatsoever when trying to act threatening to the Federation, mostly because we've seen him spend most of his time with his tongue right up the arse of the Founders.

The Founders. Which mostly ended up being that one woman, who for R E A S O N S has the same stupid as gently caress rubber face as Odo. See, it made sense with Odo because he's just not very good at making a human form. The other Founders actually know how to be any kind of creature and they don't have the same restriction. But someone decided having them all looking like Morph from Aardman Animations is the best way to represent these mysterious and ageless "gods" from another quadrant who pose a threat to all life in the Federation. loving lol.

Bonus shout out to the wormhole appearing like once, possibly twice, in the entire final season of DS9.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Parkingtigers posted:

My vote goes to the Dominion. I finally finished DS9, two decades after I started, and lol the whole threat the Dominion is said to pose just becomes laughable in the execution in those final couple of season. I mean you have:

The Jem'Hadar. The most feared, deadly, genetically engineered soldiers who were bred only for war. Aaaand in most of their episodes they are either rebelling against their indoctrination, or getting murked in one on one combat against whichever random human Federation member is fighting them. Finally someone who is more of a jobber than Worf.

The Vorta. Which mostly ended up being represented by that one dude, as a series of clones, and he's a pathetic lickspittle who exudes no menace whatsoever when trying to act threatening to the Federation, mostly because we've seen him spend most of his time with his tongue right up the arse of the Founders.

The Founders. Which mostly ended up being that one woman, who for R E A S O N S has the same stupid as gently caress rubber face as Odo. See, it made sense with Odo because he's just not very good at making a human form. The other Founders actually know how to be any kind of creature and they don't have the same restriction. But someone decided having them all looking like Morph from Aardman Animations is the best way to represent these mysterious and ageless "gods" from another quadrant who pose a threat to all life in the Federation. loving lol.

Bonus shout out to the wormhole appearing like once, possibly twice, in the entire final season of DS9.

I agree that TNG is the better Trek.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thanks to the CBS-mandated Discovery era expansion to Star Trek Online today, we now have yet another thing the magic mushrooms can do: when used to power a Klingon superweapon, they can disrupt time and rather than destroy the target as they seem to, they instead hurl everything in the tri-state area two hundred years into the future.

At least we got Captain Shran's grandson as a recurring character, still voiced by Combs.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't really care about uniform consistency but I can't help but wonder if the "new" uniforms are in part because they're probably less expensive than "we put hundreds of teeny little Starfleet deltas on each shirt because we have a corporate mandate to pack as many of those fuckin' things as we can into every frame possible"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cythereal posted:

Thanks to the CBS-mandated Discovery era expansion to Star Trek Online today, we now have yet another thing the magic mushrooms can do: when used to power a Klingon superweapon, they can disrupt time and rather than destroy the target as they seem to, they instead hurl everything in the tri-state area two hundred years into the future.

At least we got Captain Shran's grandson as a recurring character, still voiced by Combs.

Into the 24th century you say? How convenient

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HD DAD posted:

Into the 24th century you say? How convenient

25th, STO starts about 20 years after the end of Voyager. And yes, the Discovery era start is a thin STD coat of paint over the normal Federation tutorial, then two missions before you're sent into the 25th century right where normal Federation players are leaving their introductory sequence.

This Discovery era expansion was apparently ordered by CBS for ongoing cross-promotion with Discovery and forced Cryptic to abandon the DS9 expansion that had just launched.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just watched the trailer, some good things in there. Sensible looking Klingons. Michael telling Saru that he's her family :3:

Dumb: Spock, red angels.

Also, I'm still kinda not okay with captain Pike. Lorca was the bomb, but I'm not sure we need another older (looking) white man in the captain's chair.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Delsaber posted:

Captain Pike paid for his Constitution preorder and by god he's gonna wear the bonus DLC uniforms.

As a Star Trek Online player this is so relatable it hurts. Much like being a Star Trek Online player.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Also, I'm still kinda not okay with captain Pike. Lorca was the bomb, but I'm not sure we need another older (looking) white man in the captain's chair.
I liked that Lorca "looked the part" of a captain (older white guy), but was in fact evil. Having someone who's pretty much the same demographic replace him but is actually a really good swell guy (and we know he is because he's an existing character), kind of undercuts what good imagery evil Lorca was.

Plus Pike's just kind of boring and there's less you can do with him since he's an existing character.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

I liked that Lorca "looked the part" of a captain (older white guy), but was in fact evil. Having someone who's pretty much the same demographic replace him but is actually a really good swell guy (and we know he is because he's an existing character), kind of undercuts what good imagery evil Lorca was.

Plus Pike's just kind of boring and there's less you can do with him since he's an existing character.

all we know about Pike is that he had a bad experience one time on a planet and eventually got turned into a beeping chair long after the events of disco

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

all we know about Pike is that he had a bad experience one time on a planet and eventually got turned into a beeping chair long after the events of disco

Wasn't he also on some in-show list of heroes something on a display

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So I just rewatched The Darkness and the Light, which was apparently Brian Fuller’s first Trek foray. Great episode, but boy can you see his penchant for grim even here.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Wasn't he also on some in-show list of heroes something on a display

and he had a horse

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I hate that too.

This one actually makes perfect sense because until Voyager/Generations came along and hosed it up, Deep Space 9 ran with the idea that the black uniforms with colored shoulders were for people based on space stations while the standard uniforms were for starship crew and Starfleet HQ. Sisco even rocks the picard-style command reds when he goes to Starfleet HQ to investigate changelings infiltrating Earth.

Then First Contact happened, and the uniforms became more, well, uniform.

But I think even TOS had it built-in that different ships had different uniforms/insignia on the uniforms.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
TOS had it for one episode that implied that each ship had it's own uniform insignia even, till they realized it'd be a pain (and expensive) to do, costume wise.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TOS did that consistently, it's just that they only showed crews from other ships a few times. From TMP onward the delta became the general Starfleet symbol for simplicity's sake.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
That actually wasn't something they were supposed to do in TOS, rather the costume designer thought it'd be cool and it was already done before the producers stepped in and said "No."
(source)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

macnbc posted:

That actually wasn't something they were supposed to do in TOS, rather the costume designer thought it'd be cool and it was already done before the producers stepped in and said "No."
(source)

The problem with that article is that it totally ignores how all the uniforms from the Defiant (as seen in In a Mirror, Darkly) have their own patch, that angular boomerang thing.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
It points out that in TOS the Defiant crew had the standard logo.
That was something that was changed for Enterprise. Because Enterprise.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

macnbc posted:

(source)

That's a really good article, thanks for the checkup. I'll have to dig out my old Star Trek Encyclopedia sometime and see if I was misremembering the entry about TOS-era fleet insignia or if that was just the interpretation at that time.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spoileriffic stuff from Comic Con here:

https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/08/nycc-star-trek-discovery-panel-discusses-season-two-mysteries-promises-return-to-classic-trek/

Klingons will now have hair but they totally were always gonna, honest!

Talosians are coming back, not sure if in reality or flashback/dream form. Makes sense that Pike would be affected by them years later, and you could fit in another meeting before The Menagerie. But God help them if they gently caress up the makeup on what was literally the second ST alien (after Spock) by making it "modern"...

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Astroman posted:

https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/08/nycc-star-trek-discovery-panel-discusses-season-two-mysteries-promises-return-to-classic-trek/

Talosians are coming back, not sure if in reality or flashback/dream form. Makes sense that Pike would be affected by them years later, and you could fit in another meeting before The Menagerie. But God help them if they gently caress up the makeup on what was literally the second ST alien (after Spock) by making it "modern"...

Say what you will about Enterprise, they were great at “modernizing” existing aliens. Discovery wasn’t terrible at it, but I lol’d at the extra layer of “alien” they jammed onto Andorians for no good reason. Sure, yeah MORE forehead ridges. And voice modulation? Why not!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Say what you will about Enterprise, they were great at “modernizing” existing aliens. Discovery wasn’t terrible at it, but I lol’d at the extra layer of “alien” they jammed onto Andorians for no good reason. Sure, yeah MORE forehead ridges. And voice modulation? Why not!

Yeah, they don't seem to get that slapping a few more ridges on your basic humanoid biped won't make them more impressive or more alien.

If you want to show how much better your special effects are now than in the bloody 1960s then show us something new. The tardigrade was kinda dumb, but at least it was something new. There are presumably lots of things like the Horta that aren't just a guy who spent 4 hours in the make up chair. They could even join the federation, and the reason we never hear about them "later" is that they mostly don't enjoy human-style colonies and humanoids mostly don't enjoy the places they like to live, so there was no reason for TOS or TNG to ever hang out with them. Maybe a subterranean species that find federation standard levels of illumination painful, so Discovery is the only federation ship they feel comfortable on. :v:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Those articulated antenna corresponding to mood were 100 times more interesting than what you could do by slapping on more latex to a creature.

Thats the kind of thing I want to see more of. 4 armed aliens, 2 headed creatures, eye stalks, tentacle limbs, etc.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Astroman posted:

I bet all Klingons are actually naturally bald, as seen in season 1. However after meeting Tilly they were so awed by her hair that all klingons from then on wear Tilly wigs. Nothing makes your enemies tremble like hair three times the size of your head.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, they don't seem to get that slapping a few more ridges on your basic humanoid biped won't make them more impressive or more alien.

If you want to show how much better your special effects are now than in the bloody 1960s then show us something new. The tardigrade was kinda dumb, but at least it was something new. There are presumably lots of things like the Horta that aren't just a guy who spent 4 hours in the make up chair. They could even join the federation, and the reason we never hear about them "later" is that they mostly don't enjoy human-style colonies and humanoids mostly don't enjoy the places they like to live, so there was no reason for TOS or TNG to ever hang out with them. Maybe a subterranean species that find federation standard levels of illumination painful, so Discovery is the only federation ship they feel comfortable on. :v:

I'm very slowly going through DS9 for the first time after my recent first run through TNG so this may be covered there: have there ever been any federation ships where certain decks/areas are at different environmental settings for certain species?

Not that they're even shooting for the same thing, but I remember that being a fun aspect in some Alastair Reynolds novels.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I'm very slowly going through DS9 for the first time after my recent first run through TNG so this may be covered there: have there ever been any federation ships where certain decks/areas are at different environmental settings for certain species?

Not that they're even shooting for the same thing, but I remember that being a fun aspect in some Alastair Reynolds novels.

There's the occasional references to how some whales apparently live on the Ent-D but apart from that not so much.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Almost all of the Trek novels run with this idea, and posit that most Starfleet ships are crewed exclusively or nearly so by one race, and that ship's interior is optimized for that race's comfort. Vulcans like it dry and scorching hot, Andorians are ice worlders and so keep it very cold, Tellarites have much higher artificial gravity setting, etc. The really funny one I remember is the Horta ship, noted to look like a normal Intrepid class from the outside, but inside the ship is mostly made out of rock.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Why are Star Trek makeup designers so obsessed with forehead ridges anyway?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

marktheando posted:

Why are Star Trek makeup designers so obsessed with forehead ridges anyway?

It's the cheapest, easiest, most obvious way to make a human actor look like not-a-human.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

it's cheap

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It also allows the actor to emote.

Not everyone is Andy Serkis and capable of delivering a performance though 5 degrees of abstraction. Acting while completely covered up is the whole reason why he and Doug Jones are so successful.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

All good points, but they could have mixed things up a bit more than they did. Even some TOS style simple face/body paint would be fine sometimes. Trek approaches self parody sometimes with the number of forehead aliens in the TNG/DS9/Voyager era.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Almost all of the Trek novels run with this idea, and posit that most Starfleet ships are crewed exclusively or nearly so by one race, and that ship's interior is optimized for that race's comfort. Vulcans like it dry and scorching hot, Andorians are ice worlders and so keep it very cold, Tellarites have much higher artificial gravity setting, etc. The really funny one I remember is the Horta ship, noted to look like a normal Intrepid class from the outside, but inside the ship is mostly made out of rock.

Klingon Academy even made this a gameplay mechanic -- Tholians could neither board or be boarded due to their extreme environmental needs being so incompatible with humanoid races.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

McSpanky posted:

Klingon Academy even made this a gameplay mechanic -- Tholians could neither board or be boarded due to their extreme environmental needs being so incompatible with humanoid races.

It's such a shame that Space Suit technology has been lost in the future. :(

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's such a shame that Space Suit technology has been lost in the future. :(

Considering Tholians supposedly live at REALLY high temperatures, and have rather nasty air requirements besides, I would say not being able to make a suit that can both stand up to those conditions AND fight in at the same time isn't exactly a sign of technological inferiority. I doubt you'd get terribly good results dropping modern space suits on Venus after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I always liked on Enterprise when other Vulcans would ask T'Pol how she could possibly stand the smell of a ship full of humans