Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Those of you who train/have trained have you ever had that put on you? If so share your nightmare and does it feel like your jaw is going to break into pieces?

It basically feels like your jaw and teeth are going to explode, add in a neck crank for extra torture. I've also never had someone with a world class squeeze who is actively trying to hurt me do that, just a training partner, so I can imagine it's even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I think Aldo came out looking the worst from all of this, he went through the same circus as Khabib but only masturbated or something.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

FishBowlRobot posted:

Who is the Uber Gay though? The man who cowardly takes his opponent down or the man who runs away?

It's me.

edit--misunderstood the question. Ortega and Ferguson could both theoretically beat Khabib, not because they can stop the takedown but because the mat is their world as much as it is Khabib's. Khabib is absolutely 100% going to put you on the mat if he wants so you need to live there like he does. Ortega and Ferguson are the only ones who fit that bill really, Ortega more so than Ferg

Bell the Cat
Apr 5, 2004

Dirty pool old man. I like it.
I had a wrestler throw one on me. He didn't quite know what he was doing or how close he was to fracturing my jaw. Don't remember my jaw hurting until after, but the pain in my neck was immediate and scary.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

it would take 0.5 mark colemans to beat a khabib

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Still crazy that Khabib shut Conor up by trying to crush his jaw into paste instead of putting him out and I can't even imagine how painful that was.

Those of you who train/have trained have you ever had that put on you? If so share your nightmare and does it feel like your jaw is going to break into pieces?

I posted about it in the GDT towards the end but... it feels as if your teeth are going to fly out of your face in a torrent of blood as your mandible gets compressed like a worn spring. You can literally feel your jaw bending. It's so loving painful that most people just raise their chins to take the choke when it happens. If you ask me if I'd rather be in an armbar or a chinlock I'll say armbar 100% of the time.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

We had a white belt who, like a lot of white belts, was way too excited and way too unaware of his own strength, and would crank the basic cross-choke as hard as he could and do it right on your chin rather than your neck, and it sort of felt like having your jawbone slowly separated between two pieces of metal.

And that was a wiry 17 year-old. I cannot imagine Khabib.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Untrustable posted:

How does someone beat Khabib? What's the game plan there? Is it just like "you better hope you kill him with the first punch because after that it's all downhill."?

I'm no expert but I think a better wrestler with above average cardio.

Khabib's wrestling isn't the greatest, or I should say, when he shoots, he doesn't always get the take down (unlike someone like GSP). He just has great cardio, and strings the take downs one after the other. He shoots, opponent defends, but they stay grappling, Khabib transitions to a second take down, then third, which he almost always gets by that point. Then over the course of 5 rounds, the opponent just gets so worn out, Khabib dominates.

I would think someone like BJ Penn or Frankie Edgar would win? Khabib is pretty good.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I dunno if there's anyone at 155 that can beat Khabib but I think if he moved up to 170 Woodley would absolutely crush him.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Not saying he'd win, but champion-era Bendo would have been a fun fight for Khabib.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Only name i can think of who excites me is Ben Askren, and really who knows how good he really is.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Could Askren even make 155?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No and he sucks

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Still crazy that Khabib shut Conor up by trying to crush his jaw into paste instead of putting him out and I can't even imagine how painful that was.

It sucks and Conor couldn't have fought through it. I think Herb Dean did well with removing the choke because Khabib wasn't going to let go and possibly break Conor's jaw. "now we talk" indeed

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I would like to see Khabib vs Woodley or Ortega/Ryan Hall vs Khabib.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I can't see why anyone wants to watch Ortega try and play bottom and get his brains punched out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheKingslayer posted:

I can't see why anyone wants to watch Ortega try and play bottom and get his brains punched out.

Because Ortega is a drug cheat and it would be cool to see

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

Would like to see him vs a good Jiu-jitsu fighter

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ortega is always losing then wins somehow. Khabib always wins. So, it would take Ortega powering up his super bar, then performing two quarter circle forwards and pressing strong punch, resulting in him winning by guillotine.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ortega has popped?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Ortega is always losing then wins somehow. Khabib always wins. So, it would take Ortega powering up his super bar, then performing two quarter circle forwards and pressing strong punch, resulting in him winning by guillotine.

LMAO classic poo poo

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Skip My Posts posted:

ortega has popped?

It was pre-USADA. He was suspended for nine months in 2014 for drostanolone.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

ortega has popped?

Yeah, I saw some interview before the cancelled Holloway fight where he talks about it.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
drat

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah, I saw some interview before the cancelled Holloway fight where he talks about it.

Did he give any excuse other than tainted supplements? A quick glance makes it seem perfect for people trying to make weight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He said something like it was a moment of weakness and he thought he needed an extra edge. His mom probably beat the poo poo out of him.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Aldo in his prime would have beat Khabib. so just find...someone like that

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Aldo in his prime would have beat Khabib. so just find...someone like that

I don't disagree with that. That takedown defense was something else.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I have, and it sucks entirely. It basically feels like your lower jaw is going one way, while the rest of your head is staying put. It's not a fun feeling. People whinging that it "wasn't actually a choke so why did he even tap" are dumb as poo poo and should stop pretending they know much about MMA.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 15, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm watching Sunday Football with my Pops and Conor McGregor was at the game in Dallas kissing babies and shaking hands. Don't think he's gonna be down for long.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Captain Log posted:

I'm watching Sunday Football with my Pops and Conor McGregor was at the game in Dallas kissing babies and shaking hands. Don't think he's gonna be down for long.

half the cowboys are doing the conor walk as a celebration dance

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Captain Log posted:

https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1051603977643548672

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'd like to see Khabib fight Max Holloway

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lid posted:

I'd like to see Khabib fight Max Holloway

absolutely

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd like to see Khabib QB for the Pats.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

piratepilates posted:

half the cowboys are doing the conor walk as a celebration dance

I thought you were joking

https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/1051605284953542662

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
NFL guys did that back when Conor first brought that out and it’s sick

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I would like to see Max Holloway fight anyone. Dude has great fights.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
All these 145-lb guys you're all mentioning would be pretty undersized against Khabib and get ragdolled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm sure if you played Giant Growth on MMDJ he could beat Khabib but unfortunately Magic: The Gathering isn't real

• Locked thread