Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

quote:

to get 1 offer, you need on the order of 2-5 onsites,
it even takes a few times to get the story out as far as rattling stuff out like it’s a standup performance.

had a recent interview where a manager intentionally misunderstood a few descriptions I gave for one of my last companies architectures in an attempt to fluster me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Coffee Jones posted:

it even takes a few times to get the story out as far as rattling stuff out like it’s a standup performance.

had a recent interview where a manager intentionally misunderstood a few descriptions I gave for one of my last companies architectures in an attempt to fluster me.

this is a red flag btw unless you're interviewing for a customer-facing position or a consulting gig where you'll regularly be interacting with bad faith actors

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well that phone interview didn't go so well :v:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

this is a red flag btw unless you're interviewing for a customer-facing position or a consulting gig where you'll regularly be interacting with bad faith actors

yeah for real. I always feel incredibly awful when I misunderstand an interviewee and make sure they know I’m the one failing here, not them.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 14, 2018

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

who's in boston that's worth working for? i don't want to commute to the companies out by 128 and i don't even want to bother with ms, facebook, or the goog.

i have a bud who works for IBM in cambridge

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Glorgnole posted:

that's that company that puts people out to pasture when they get old, right

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Glorgnole posted:

didnt answer their question

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cheque_some posted:

it's the company that should be put out to pasture because they are so old

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

had my first coding interview in a long while and my nerves got the better of me. even though the questions were easy i got anxious, tongue-tied, and struggled to debug some dumb mistakes.

made it to the next round but they let me know i would no longer be considered for the "senior" level role. oh well. guess ill just try not to sweat it too much and keep practicing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cheque_some posted:

only if they are Americans

it’s been ibm policy to eliminate senior onshore positions for like 30years now. it just took that long for people to sue :smith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

here let me quote you this

that post was targeted at some fuckstick who thought he was gonna leave a first world country for greener pastures. that’s rare for exactly the reason I elucidated

you are in a different situation. you are presumably educated and well qualified, and competent in the global business language of choice, but finding nothing in your home market

so, why is it worth it for a foreign firm to hire you? unlike their domestic candidates or American expats you are desperate, and you are likely willing to accept pay grades the locals and high dollar expats will not

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that post was targeted at some fuckstick who thought he was gonna leave a first world country for greener pastures. that’s rare for exactly the reason I elucidated

you are in a different situation. you are presumably educated and well qualified, and competent in the global business language of choice, but finding nothing in your home market

so, why is it worth it for a foreign firm to hire you? unlike their domestic candidates or American expats you are desperate, and you are likely willing to accept pay grades the locals and high dollar expats will not

money that i and lots of us citizen peeps would laugh at and reject, like 100k usd + 50k in rsu's or whatever

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mexican Apple Shipment posted:

had my first coding interview in a long while and my nerves got the better of me. even though the questions were easy i got anxious, tongue-tied, and struggled to debug some dumb mistakes.

made it to the next round but they let me know i would no longer be considered for the "senior" level role. oh well. guess ill just try not to sweat it too much and keep practicing.

yep, I hosed up really bad on a super simple question on the first interview I did on my most recent round of interviewing too. it happens, interviewing is bullshit, keep practicing until you get good at it, it doesn’t take that long

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

money that i and lots of us citizen peeps would laugh at and reject, like 100k usd + 50k in rsu's or whatever

... which would be better than average outside of the top four markets in the US?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Munkeymon posted:

... which would be better than average outside of the top four markets in the US?

i think he's being sarcastic

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

if they're angling for a remote job, congrats, anything outside the top 4 markets in the us or maybe some other global finance hubs if they're willing to do that poo poo, they don't exist

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

jit bull transpile posted:

i think he's being sarcastic

idk posting history says otherwise

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

if they're angling for a remote job, congrats, anything outside the top 4 markets in the us or maybe some other global finance hubs if they're willing to do that poo poo, they don't exist

remote jobs basically don't exist for foreign nationals, unless you're talking about outsourcing

(and i think they're pants on head stupid for domestic candidates, but that is a different discussion)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

good luck recruiting senior candidates from the flyover states

it's not like programmers in, say, minnesota are unaware that wages double on the coasts. they just don't care. they have houses and families and they would rather face penury than leave

(that's how they ended up as senior developers in minnesota! could have left at any point in their careers and chose not to)

and don't forget yurop

no market in europe pays halfway decent by american standards, but every european city is going to pay better than anywhere in brazil

the obvious destination is london, but there are also sizable talent markets in berlin, frankfurt, etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it is also worth pointing out that the "top four" markets in the united states are literally millions of software jobs among them

industries concentrate in specific locations. just the bay area and the new york metro area constitute roughly half the software developers in the entire country

employers open offices where the talent is; the talent goes where the offices are; wages rise disproportionately. it's a cute little cycle

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
belfast and dublin have hot markets too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blinkz0rz posted:

what, really? new york has roughly as many software developers as dublin has people

what does a "hot market" mean in a small city?

edit: not being snarky I am genuinely curious. what's hot? how many developers or companies can their actually be in a city that size?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

for europe

you mentioned a few european cities that had decent programming market i was adding to that list

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
soma and financial district neighborhoods in sf has more billion dollar (usd) tech companies than the entire western hemisphere south of the us, if i counted correctly

e: just soma

e2: just the middle part of soma

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 14, 2018

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

isn't that because most us tech companies have their european offices there for reasons of tax shenanigans?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that post was targeted at some fuckstick who thought he was gonna leave a first world country for greener pastures.

I think that post was actually directed at me lol. and you're still like "why are you thinking anyone wants to hire you" when I already know nobody wants to hire me. no offense taken though

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

The_Franz posted:

isn't that because most us tech companies have their european offices there for reasons of tax shenanigans?

probably :shrug:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

belfast is a tiny market but it’s absurdly cheap to live in and you get about 3/4 of what you’d make in london, so it depends on whether it’s worth it to be in a backwards shithole of a region

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
which ireland is the good one? i always forget

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

the one that doesn't have unionists
(tiocfaidh ar la is pronounced "chucky ar la")

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

you’re looking for the dublin one not the belfast one

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not like programmers in, say, minnesota are unaware that wages double on the coasts. they just don't care. they have houses and families and they would rather face penury than leave

(that's how they ended up as senior developers in minnesota! could have left at any point in their careers and chose not to)

yeah, my salary that puts me well over the median income of two earners sure is poverty. you called it. now I don't have any more time to post I've got to walk to the dump and scrounge some tarps to rebuild the roof because it's snowing

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
wages being absurdly high in the us is kind of an academic point if you're not already living there though because who in their right mind would want to voluntarily move to the dystopian hellscape that is modern america? there is no amount of money in the world that could motivate that, and it's not like you can get a visa these days anyway

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TheFluff posted:

wages being absurdly high in the us is kind of an academic point if you're not already living there though because who in their right mind would want to voluntarily move to the dystopian hellscape that is modern america? there is no amount of money in the world that could motivate that, and it's not like you can get a visa these days anyway

People do a lot of demeaning things for that kind of money.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

:cawg:

Penury. Sure. Those dudes can afford to actually own their own houses, dude.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

and your coming children, free or cheap university.

Ummmmm not in London (or England in general) you don't.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

feedmegin posted:

:cawg:

Penury. Sure. Those dudes can afford to actually own their own houses, dude.

are you surprised a new york finance guy is completely out of touch with anyone who isn’t exactly him?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Yeah, but, I mean, look at those shoes.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

carry on then posted:

are you surprised a new york finance guy is completely out of touch with anyone who isn’t exactly him?

comes by it honestly? I get the sense though that if you are not self-absorbed and self-important in that particular industry, you're likely to get walked on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"look honey, sure we'll be uprooting our entire family to move into a $4000 a month closet, you are bailing on an 18 year teaching career in the local school system and we will need to shove your ailing mother into a nursing home where we will never see her, but once my stock options vest we might be able to afford a house with a mere 2 hour commute! our 10, 13 and 15 year olds won't mind sharing a futon in the corner for two years, it will be like camping!"