Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Okay so here’s an example of some confusion I face with my factory:

I’ll spot a reasonably sized dense coal patch separate from a larger one I’ll use for smelting.

So I position my power plants and burner inserters to form an aisle that faces the direction of the coal field.
I set up my electric mines and belts to feed the plant and all is well.

Now fast forward to when I get refineries and oil. I have heavy oil that I can convert to solid fuel and have no use for. The coal patch is running low.

How do I set up an efficient way to feed my power plants with solid fuel from the oil fields.

Let’s say the oil fields and refineries are northwest of the power plants but my power plants are fed from the coal patch directly south.

This is kind of where my brain hits a block and I’m not sure what to do.

On a side note. I typically overproduce coal for these plants and realize I could probably shift the coal elsewhere, but for safety I let the belt fill up and run slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Your power infrastructure should generally be somewhere dedicated that you can send fuel to from whatever source you're using.

Alternatively just move them closer to the oil if you're going to be using that from now on.

Liquids are easy to move long distance with underground pipes so you can do that with either the water, oil, or both.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Your power infrastructure should generally be somewhere dedicated that you can send fuel to from whatever source you're using.

Alternatively just move them closer to the oil if you're going to be using that from now on.

Liquids are easy to move long distance with underground pipes so you can do that with either the water, oil, or both.

Does the distance from water pump to furnaces matter much?

I form two lines of 7 furnaces for a total of 14 and they form a fork pattern adjacent to the shoreline.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kraftwerk posted:

Does the distance from water pump to furnaces matter much?

I form two lines of 7 furnaces for a total of 14 and they form a fork pattern adjacent to the shoreline.

Distance wise, that's fine.

As long as you build reasonably close to water you should be fine. I wouldn't try to pipe water across the length of your base to fuel power boilers though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You're overthinking it. Make a belt from the solid fuel plant to the boilers.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

LLSix posted:

You can get by with just yellow bullets for a long time, so I'd suggest not worrying about upgrading to red bullets until you've cleared out the biter nests under your pollution cloud.

Red bullets also take a loooooooooot more resources per bullet than yellow does.

Roughly triple the resources:
1 firearm magazine = 4 iron plates
1 piercing rounds magazine= 4 iron plates + 1 steel (5 iron plates) + 5 copper.

Bullet damage is 5 damage vs 8. However - and this is a big however - you should be upgraded to piercing rounds by the time medium biters start showing up in any real quantity, because medium biters and up have physical resist. Mediums have 4/10% resist - they take 4 damage off the top and 10% of the remainder, so piercing rounds end up being around 4x as effective to start with. Nests also have a little bit of physical resist (2/15%) - not a ton, but it makes piercing rounds still twice as good as regular yellow bullets when clearing out nests, which is very helpful since the faster you kill the nest, the fewer rounds you end up having to spend on the associated biters.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

How do you guys keep turrets supplied with ammo away from the main factory? The belts sometimes get in the way of other construction.

Do you guys use a bus? What do you do with the 2 middle belts on a 4 lane bus? (Excluding dedicated belts for green circuits, steel etc).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Early on I just do the a lap around my perimeter every so often, load up my inventory with ammo and give each turret ~25 magazines. More if they're busy.

Next tier is to set up a belt with inserters, it's a pretty big and ugly construction but it works. Remote outposts get a chest full of ammo and a belt delivering to turrets.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

xzzy posted:

Early on I just do the a lap around my perimeter every so often, load up my inventory with ammo and give each turret ~25 magazines. More if they're busy.

Next tier is to set up a belt with inserters, it's a pretty big and ugly construction but it works. Remote outposts get a chest full of ammo and a belt delivering to turrets.

These are typically better than lasers right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, gun turrets do more damage than lasers. The upside to lasers is all they need is electricity.

But long term, flame turrets and gun turrets are what everyone relies on.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

redleader posted:

Are you close to the tank? The tank is v. good in midgame. Ignore its main cannon; just use its machine gun with red ammo. It shreds bases and biters real good.
Look at this wrong and bad opinion, more explosives more cannon shells! DAKKA DAKKA

Kraftwerk posted:

Lasers have the benefit of range and no need for ammo (but do need power infrastructure), turrets have a higher damage cap and can be dropped anywhere but need to be resupplied

Flame turrets burn everything :getin:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

redleader posted:

Are you close to the tank? The tank is v. good in midgame. Ignore its main cannon; just use its machine gun with red ammo. It shreds bases and biters real good.

Honestly the main cannon's great too, and for tank & car both, never underestimate the power of chucking grenades from a moving vehicle. Drive-by grenadings cure biters.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Kraftwerk posted:

Laser turrets do also have the advantages of ignoring resistance and longer range.

Granted, the instantaneous travel of bullets and relatively low speed of laser bolts mean that the range difference doesn't matter as much as it should right now. It'll be interesting to see what the balance looks like after lasers become continuous instantaneous beams in the next version.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah beam lasers should be pretty wild

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

How do you guys keep turrets supplied with ammo away from the main factory? The belts sometimes get in the way of other construction.

Do you guys use a bus? What do you do with the 2 middle belts on a 4 lane bus? (Excluding dedicated belts for green circuits, steel etc).

I kill all biters under or likely to come under my pollution cloud during the day's play so I don't get attacked often. What few static defenses I do have will last tens of hours with only 100 bullets in each turret.

You can load turrets by hand. Roflex described a quick way to do so.

Toast Museum posted:

Granted, the instantaneous travel of bullets and relatively low speed of laser bolts mean that the range difference doesn't matter as much as it should right now. It'll be interesting to see what the balance looks like after lasers become continuous instantaneous beams in the next version.
Laser turrets still make a great second line since spitter biters will otherwise stay just out of range of most of the gun turrets in a heavily defended area. Like an artillery train stop.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 11, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Quote is not edit.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The tank is amazing and super useful. Grenade drive-bys are solving all my problems.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The tank doesn't really fall off in usefulness until the latest late game, when you can cram a powered armor mk2 full of shields and exoskeletons. And by the time you're feasibly able to do that you've probably already launched the rocket.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

My friends and I were thinking of starting a new multiplayer game with lots of mods, in particular Angel's and Bob's. Anyone got advice for doing a playthrough like this? Any other mods we should pick up?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Olesh posted:

4/10% resist - they take 4 damage off the top and 10% of the remainder

Unless this has changed or I'm very mistaken, it's the other way around: damage is reduced by 10% and then 4 is subtracted. However, this can't reduce damage to zero, as damage reduction beyond zero becomes 1/(remainder+1); e.g., 5 damage reduced by 5 becomes 1/2. 5 damaged reduced by 6 becomes 1/3, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LLSix posted:

Distance wise, that's fine.

As long as you build reasonably close to water you should be fine. I wouldn't try to pipe water across the length of your base to fuel power boilers though.

I mean it's true that there's probably not a great reason to do that if that's all you're using the water for but I'm used to angelbobs which uses water for a bunch of things so i have a water line running around the base anyway.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

My friends and I were thinking of starting a new multiplayer game with lots of mods, in particular Angel's and Bob's. Anyone got advice for doing a playthrough like this? Any other mods we should pick up?

Angel/Bobs is all about getting that feeling you had the first time you played, again. You’ll build a furnace column, research 4 more techs, then realize you should dismantle it in favor of something else. Give lots of room between “steps” and you should do fine.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's true that there's probably not a great reason to do that if that's all you're using the water for but I'm used to angelbobs which uses water for a bunch of things so i have a water line running around the base anyway.

I'm surprised you haven't run into problems from that yet. There's an upper limit to the amount of water a pump can create per second and an upper limit to the amount of water that can be pumped through a single pipe network that is not just the sum of all the pumps attached to it. A single pump maxes out at feeding 20 boilers (I think it's actually 20 and a bit but its still better to have a separate pump and pipe line for every 20 boilers). I run almost every water requester in my base on its own pipe line unless its just one or two assemblers.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think it was balanced to just be exactly 20. The original ratio was the one that was freaking weird.

Nuclear has a goofy ratio now but that's fine because of how nuclear works.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I quite like building the solar arrays and trying to be a green boi.

Also I keep on, after researching blues, get this feeling I want to start over again. It's like the early game is my poo poo.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

jokes posted:

Also I keep on, after researching blues, get this feeling I want to start over again. It's like the early game is my poo poo.

This was the same for me. Hundreds of hours later I got the early game down and now I'm all about that late game optimization. I still feel like I haven't figured out the most effective automated base expansion. I know all the pieces are available to me but setting up a new mining outpost should only require one trip ever - building a railway there. :colbert:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

jokes posted:

If you get this feeling, convert your current base to produce only entities and ammo. No science. Then you find a new spot some ways away, establish a beachhead with gun turrets and walls, then pack up all the assemblers and inserters and belts you can fit in a car/tank/train, head over, and get going on building your new base. All the space and flexibility of the early game wothout having to wait for another stack of yellow belt to finally finish.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Can someone give me some pointers here? I feel like I built myself into a corner.
As you can see from the map I am trying to get my main bus going - but I am unsure in which direction without having my assemblers or lanes interfere with the resource patches.

Do I need to pack up and go somewhere else?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

Can someone give me some pointers here? I feel like I built myself into a corner.
As you can see from the map I am trying to get my main bus going - but I am unsure in which direction without having my assemblers or lanes interfere with the resource patches.

Do I need to pack up and go somewhere else?
You've got lots of patches visible around the edges, just build wherever and if it covers a resource patch oh well. Plenty more and better where that came from.

On default resource generation settings you get used to doing that after awhile.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I like playing RSO because I feel vanilla resource generation is too kind. Makes grabbing resources a cakewalk, and hampers the use of the best (in my opinion) part of the game: trains.

But yeah, building over resource patches doesn't matter, and if those are vanilla generation settings, no matter where you up and move to, you'll run into the same problem. If building over resource patches triggers an OCD, there's a mod that lets you delete resources (does paving over resources hide them?). Your main bus could go off to the West, you've got plenty of open space and no resource patches in the immediate vicinity.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Paving over resources does not hide them unfortunately.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

There’s over 3.9 million iron in one of those patches out west. That’s painful to pave over it’ll be an eyesore forever. Oh well. I’m sure a few more miles west I’ll find millions more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't build a bus then. Embrace the spaghetti. Or build an overly complex arrangement to avoid the ore.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

FNEI is a must have mod if you're running Angel Bobs. It lets you see every way to make a specific item, and every use for a any given thing, and what machines you can build this stuff in. I can't imagine trying to navigate petrochemical refining without this mod.

Water Pumps, the ones you get from researching "Water Boring" aren't broken. You need to choose what type of water they belch out, like you were picking a recipe for an assembler. These are invaluable because eventually you just reach a point where you accept failure and just want to have water where you need it without piping/processing.

It's not immediately obvious but "Flare Stacks" and "Clarifiers" will let you vent waste gas and fluids without needing to bother storing them.

The basic materials you'll need on your bus up until blue science are: Iron Plates (from Saphirite), Copper Plates (Stitarite), Steel Plates, Tin Plates (Bobmonium), Lead Plates (Rubytite), Wood (yes really), Coal, Stone, and Stone Bricks.

I know it seems like a waste product but crushed stone is eventually useful so try to save it.

Go forth and pollute!

I'm curious to see what you and you're friends think of the petrochemical processes :)

edit: Kraftwerk, if I were you I'd build out to the west, with the bus starting just below the lake. I know it's a long belt trip from your smelting set up, but it's plenty of room to expand.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 14, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LLSix posted:

I'm surprised you haven't run into problems from that yet. There's an upper limit to the amount of water a pump can create per second and an upper limit to the amount of water that can be pumped through a single pipe network that is not just the sum of all the pumps attached to it. A single pump maxes out at feeding 20 boilers (I think it's actually 20 and a bit but its still better to have a separate pump and pipe line for every 20 boilers). I run almost every water requester in my base on its own pipe line unless its just one or two assemblers.

I tend to plumb in extra pumps around the place whenever I go near a body of water and eventually just connect them all up to the same water loop, cos there's a bunch of stuff in angelbobs that need a bit of water here and thee. But I also haven't ever needed 20 boilers yet and I don't imagine you would at the point when you're debating where to put your power/oil infrastructure.

Angelbobs is slow enough that you spend more time setting up new things rather than scaling up existing ones.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

VostokProgram posted:

Some software systems are designed for 9 9s uptime
And until they're running for 1000 years without any failure, any claim they've achieved that is almost surely wrong.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

OwlFancier posted:

I tend to plumb in extra pumps around the place whenever I go near a body of water and eventually just connect them all up to the same water loop, cos there's a bunch of stuff in angelbobs that need a bit of water here and thee. But I also haven't ever needed 20 boilers yet and I don't imagine you would at the point when you're debating where to put your power/oil infrastructure.

Angelbobs is slow enough that you spend more time setting up new things rather than scaling up existing ones.

But when you do want to scale things up, all those new things are in the way. :argh:

Oh and while the further processing of ore is nice for getting later materials, you are getting lesser amounts of the common ones (ie. Saphrite's iron and copper ore) than if you had just crushed them. Don't be like me, have lines for both methods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The main problem I have is not getting insufficient amounts but rather getting too much of the stuff I don't need, so the first thing I tend to try to set up is a catalysed refining setup that produces what I actually need.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Kraftwerk posted:

There’s over 3.9 million iron in one of those patches out west. That’s painful to pave over it’ll be an eyesore forever. Oh well. I’m sure a few more miles west I’ll find millions more.

Your main bus doesn't have to go straight :eng101:

If you're all about that visual, take as many turns as the map requires because landfilling water is even uglier than building over resource patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Way back when corners in belts slowed products down, you wanted things to be straight as possible but now, go nuts. Spaghetti away!