Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

MOST UP TO DATE GOONCRAWL WEBTILES AT CKO AND CPO! CHECK SECOND POST FOR MORE!

What is Dungeon Crawl?

Dungeon Crawl is a popular, free roguelike game focusing on tactics, balance, variety and a lasting challenge. A roguelike is generally a turn-based RPG, with an emphasis on randomly generated worlds, a high depth of play, huge menageries of monsters, and some MacGuffin you have to dig up and escape with. Most roguelikes use ASCII characters for graphics, though an increasing number utilize graphical tiles, like Crawl. Roguelikes are usually very tough to beat, and death is often permanent: once you're dead, you're dead. The original version of Dungeon Crawl was released by Linley Henzell in 1997, but the version most are familiar with is Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup.

This has all of the elements of a classic roguelike, but avoids the major annoyances and monotonous requirements present in many of them. It makes playing the game a natural experience, without "gotcha" deaths that demand an encyclopedia of knowledge. Everything you need to know to survive is present in each turn, whether it be through careful observation, making use of the resources you've collected and learned, or referring to the help by pressing "?" if you're not sure what each key does yet.

Crawl is great because it demands attention to survive, but skips or automates a lot of the boring stuff that slows down similar games. New changes always have reasoning based in fun or balance. When you die, it's usually because you overestimated your strength, took a chance, and lost. You'll learn from each death; you will die early and often. When the game smiles upon you with some really good items and luck, hubris often becomes your worst enemy. Although the game is heavily dependent on luck, victory is always possible even if you are getting the short stick at every turn. Veteran players can streak wins together with random characters.

So how do I play?

Although Stone Soup is still the most well-known version, many communities (including us) have started making their own forks: versions that split off of Stone Soup and started making their own changes based on their own opinion of what the game should be. Depending on your interests, you may be interested in one of the following (if you want something else mentioned here, PM me wherever you find me with the info):

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
The original New Coke. Stone Soup aims for:
  • challenging and unpredictable gameplay, with an emphasis on tactical skill
  • meaningful decisions (no no-brainer, works-every-time-with-every-character play choices)
  • grinding is unnecessary
  • a simplified and elegant interface, with a helpful tutorial and mouse support for new players
  • clarity of design (playable without the need for external spoilers)
  • thematic consistency (no lightsaber-wielding orcs)
  • replayability and lasting challenge (with optional branches, multiple race/background/god choices, and optional challenges)
  • proper use of out-of-depth monsters
Recent versions of Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup have gotten flak from many communities (including us) that more is being removed than added and from valuing the design philosophy over player input, but it is still actively developed with plenty of useful quality of life and bug fixes (in addition to the content changes) daily.
Online:
Other servers and instructions for joining via SSH/Telnet (with a client such as KiTTY or PuTTY) are available here: How to play Online.

Offline:
If you prefer a lagless experience offline, you can Download Crawl for Windows, Max OSX, Linux and Android.

Gooncrawl
A democratic fork for Something Awful! See the second post for more info.
Online:
Offline:
Stable releases (currently v1.0, ~8 months old)- https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/releases/
Development-

Hellcrawl
Hellcrawl ramps up the removals that Stone Soup normally does to a radical extreme, aiming to streamline the game to a much shorter and more intense experience.
Tavern thread
Online:
Offline:
Stable releases- https://github.com/Hellmonk/hellcrawl/releases
Development- https://github.com/Hellmonk/hellcrawl

X-Crawl
Another democracy styled fork, created and voted on by players on the CXC Discord server.
Tavern thread
CXC Discord
Online:
Offline:
Stable releases- https://github.com/Vajrapani/X-Crawl/releases
Development- https://github.com/Vajrapani/X-Crawl

Bloatcrawl 2
Bloatcrawl 2 expands on Bloatcrawl, adding a total of 69 new species and backgrounds to the game. Play a Butterfly Inheritor!
Online:
  • CPO: Australia
  • CKO: NYC, USA
Development (completed, but you can still compile from source here)- https://github.com/Hellmonk/bloatcrawl2/blob/master/README.md

Gnollcrawl
DCSS, but you are XL 1 and every enemy is a gnoll.
Online:
Stable releases- https://github.com/Dracunos/gnollcrawl/releases
Development (completed, but you can still compile source from here)- https://github.com/Dracunos/gnollcrawl/

Bcrawl
A fork of X-Crawl: "X-Crawl development stalled after it replaced all stairs with hatches. I didn't like that, and I had some pull requests sitting around, so I made my own fork."
Tavern thread: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25940&sid=ad9c94f2381e022b81687c37c94c6b92
Online:
  • CKO
  • (let me know if it is elsewhere)

BcadrenCrawl
Not to be confused with bcrawl
Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/comments/aumr1f/my_fork_bcadrencrawl_is_up_on_cko/
Online:
  • CKO
  • (let me know if it is elsewhere)

Stoat Crawl
Made by damerell/bloodnok and friends (who also host the cross-server Gooncrawl scoring!)
Tavern post: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26253
Github: https://github.com/damerell/crawl
Online:
Kimchi
Korean fork, focused on adding content instead of removing it as well as restoring old content.
Github: https://github.com/kimjoy2002/
Online:
CWZ

Why play Online?
  • Spectate live games and chat with the player and others! Check out this list of everyone playing right now, and click "Watch" to see their live game.
  • Progress and settings (rcfile) are saved.
  • Always up-to-date (mostly), with nightly builds available to play.
  • (Stone Soup only) Keep track of your victories, defeats, and all kinds of stats.
  • (Stone Soup only) Participate in tournaments with every new version!

The chats, communities and resources:
  • ##crawl on Freenode - Official Dungeon Crawl IRC. You can chat, ask for help, and get up-to-date information from bots, veterans, and devs.
  • Crawl Wiki - A good source for general information and spoilers. Be wary of the game version displayed on each page; some will be quite outdated!
  • LearnDB - Searchable repository of Dungeon Crawl lore. Almost always up to date & accurate, but sometimes its terseness and in-jokes do it no favors.
  • Knowledge Bot - Uses LearnDB, IRC bots and sprites to provide a very nice search engine for almost anything about the game.
  • The Tavern - Official Dungeon Crawl forum.
  • /r/DCSS - le reddit.
  • ##gooncrawl on Freenode - For a goonier chat.
  • Gooncrawl Discord - nuIRC

Other Stuff:

Earlier threads:
Crawl 0.21(/0.22): Stick a Fork In It
Crawl 0.20: Home of the Frog Dog
Crawl 0.19: Just Riposte (pastebin dump)
Crawl 0.18: Purple Reign
Crawl 0.17: Corn enemies no longer popcorn
Crawl 0.16: Ru asks you to sacrifice your free time! This is a trivial butt
Crawl 0.15: Terrifying, Ever-Gnashing Radulae
Crawl 0.14: You feel energized by your suffering!
Crawl 0.13: FoIE GrAs: You are engorged.
Crawl 0.12: Erolcha banished me and gave me apocalypse crabs
Crawl 0.11: Eight legs and it's not an Octopode: Welcome to Spider
Crawl 0.10: Your tentacles turn into razor-sharp scythe blades
Crawl 0.9: A meow rips itself from your throat
Crawl 0.8: Mennas II Society
Crawl 0.7: The Dying Game
Crawl 0.6: Slouching towards The Abyss
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.5.0: Now with less Oklob!
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.4.0
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.3.0

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl is no longer being actively developed, v2.0/WebTiles is the latest version

Gooncrawl

Gooncrawl is a fork that was started by me for Something Awful, in response to wanting to do something productive out of all the doomsaying from recent versions!

Anyone who :justpost:s in the thread is eligible for suggested additons/changes/removals and voting on those suggestions, as well as whether any pull requests or major features from Stone Soup should be merged. After voting, I do my best to code/merge it all for the fun of it! Even if you don't want to contribute to the design process (or are lurking without an account and don't want to pony up the :10bux:) you can still contribute with your own development (artwork, code, vaults, documentation, etc.) through pull requests, play and enjoy the game, and sharpen your pitchforks for whenever "I've gone too far".

Major Contributors:
Floodkiller - Coding, Project Management, Lazy rear end in a top hat, Mainline Dev Apologist
Patashu - Coding, Fixing Things Flood Broke/Gave Up On
Metoron - Spritework, Removing Awful Programmer Art Flood Made, Generous Dev Update Builds
Araganzar, Hito - Pull Request Processing, Save File Corrupting
Also thanks to anyone else who contributed, as well as to all server admins for hosting it online!

Changelog for v2.0: https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/blob/gooncrawl/crawl-ref/docs/gooncrawl/changelog.txt

Other Gooncrawl documents:
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/tree/gooncrawl/crawl-ref/docs/gooncrawl

Where to play (again, since you probably scrolled past it):
Offline:
Stable releases (v2.0, latest trunk build downloads)- https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/releases/
Development-
ONLINE SCOREBOARD FOR GOONCRAWL:
Aggregate scoring (hosted by Bloodnok/damerell)
CKO scoring (hosted by Floraline)

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 21, 2022

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
All hail lord Floodkiller. All hail the purple. :frogsiren:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
put in a cute god who will go out on dates with me :smith:

I love Gooncrawl. I also love Hellcrawl. What does this say about me.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Always eat the purple

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Eat purple. Hail Xom. Thanks Floodkiller.

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.
The Branding Update!!!! !

Yeah this version is really just changed branding since my previous compile, title card changes and app icons, but it's good to have a fresh compile for a new thread.

Gooncrawl Windows Version 08/10/18

https://www.dropbox.com/s/er52obusk50z7kk/gooncrawl-win64-tiles-8-10-18.zip?dl=1

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Grats to Tollymain for getting on the devteam. I don't think even they know they managed that.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't stop eating the purple

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The lack of purple in MtG is negatively affecting my experience.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Good stuff---I had no idea about Bloatcrawl even being a thing. I suppose it takes some of the mantle from Circus Animals Variation that has gone quiet of late~

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Great Thread, Great OP, Great Game. Thank you for setting this up and to everyone who works on gooncrawl! I’ve bit off more than I can chew in the game I’m GMing right now, but I would like to look into helping set up a scoreboard at some point, though it probably wouldn’t be till January, tbh.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

not played crawl in a while, booted up gooncrawl:

what on earth

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

not played crawl in a while, booted up gooncrawl:

what on earth

That's from a while ago in DCSS. Too many people were hitting the wrong stat by accident (usually while doing something else), so now it uses capitals only to confirm that's what you want.

Another big one you will run into: use the Descend Staircase key to pray at altars, since the prayer button was removed.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Race idea: purple chunks are nutritious, all dropped chunks are purple, all rations replaced with Potions of Purple Porridge.

E: Call them Goons, give them human apts, look at me I'm a dev!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I kind of want a Demonspawn-shaped race that gain and lose mutations over time, but they're weighted based on your stat spread/equipment/general skill usage at the time/whatever. Bad mutations could be affected, too, so you'd be less likely to get shoutitis as a stabber, for example. Maybe they have below-average aptitudes across the board as a downside? Or maybe their aptitudes shift around, too, but they're still generally below-average (in this case, aptitude-shifting would be based on skill usage, maaaaaaaaybe with some interaction with training focus). Haven't really put much thought into it, and it could very well be too much work to be worth it, but I feel like there could be some neat interactions with Ash/Jivya and pretty much any god that gives gifts.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006
Has anyone tried the new bloatcrawl races/classes and has a trip report? I'm curious just how busted it is.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
How's the permabuff work going FK? I've been crawling again lately and would drop every other version for Gooncrawl, except Hellcrawl is still the funnest way to play my beloved OpTm.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

How's the permabuff work going FK? I've been crawling again lately and would drop every other version for Gooncrawl, except Hellcrawl is still the funnest way to play my beloved OpTm.

Still a work in progress, unfortunately.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

Another big one you will run into: use the Descend Staircase key to pray at altars, since the prayer button was removed.

I like that they kept the prayer button in, but all it does is tell you to press the stair button instead. Thanks. That's very helpful, game.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Floodkiller posted:

That's from a while ago in DCSS. Too many people were hitting the wrong stat by accident (usually while doing something else), so now it uses capitals only to confirm that's what you want.

what am I, performing a magic trick behind Trog's altar?

Trog hates magic!

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some Xom altars should be simply a masked Abyss gate.

Like, make it so it actually says abyss gate in the text if you See or Inspect them, just give it the Xom sprite. Suppress "are you sure?" prompt if there's ever been one?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I don't suppose we have an ETA on paralysis not sucking in Gooncrawl? I want to play, but I refuse to play until Paralysis is fixed.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Arivia posted:

I don't suppose we have an ETA on paralysis not sucking in Gooncrawl? I want to play, but I refuse to play until Paralysis is fixed.

It's not currently on the plan for v2.0, so you'd have to wait until the next voting rounds.

Alternatively, you can always just mod it yourself temporarily (through removal) by finding any source of DUR_PARALYSIS in the code and changing it to always last zero turns (or never even get set).

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Been a year or so since I've played. Turns out +10 eveningstars are still pretty good though. Bought it for 700 gold from a gozag shop. Probably could have gone farther with this guy.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//FilthyApe/morgue-FilthyApe-20181011-040632.txt

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Is meem just beem that automatically joins your chat? Is there a way to ignore one or the other on CBRO? I don't need both of them responding at the same time to my noobish questions. Also, I haven't played this game in a long time and the lack of purp is really really really aggravating.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Play goon crawl eat the purp every day.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I have some vault ideas I'd like to contribute to gooncrawl, but can someone tell me what sorts of values are supposed to go in the value portion of user-definable tile sections? Where can I search for values to place in this area?

Example: If I wanted to place an altar of gozag in a vault, obviously I'd select "A user-definable feature" in the graphical tile editor, but I have no clue what I'm then supposed to set this "J=" to. altar.gozag? altarGozag? altar_gozag? z61fjdjd?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

um

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.

Jon Joe posted:

I have some vault ideas I'd like to contribute to gooncrawl, but can someone tell me what sorts of values are supposed to go in the value portion of user-definable tile sections? Where can I search for values to place in this area?

Example: If I wanted to place an altar of gozag in a vault, obviously I'd select "A user-definable feature" in the graphical tile editor, but I have no clue what I'm then supposed to set this "J=" to. altar.gozag? altarGozag? altar_gozag? z61fjdjd?

It would be altar_gozag, this text file in the git repository explains the syntax that the vaults use, though it doesn't list out the features and their references cleanly. https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/blob/gooncrawl/crawl-ref/docs/develop/levels/syntax.txt

There are also other text files in the Level folder which have some more instructions about making vaults as well, but none of them are just clear reference sheets either.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

Play goon crawl eat the purp every day.

Yes play Goon Crawl on CBRO. I'm getting tired of seeing my ghosts on every run. (I've been splatting a bunch today.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Let me guess, you're a deep elf.

Edit: Wait, grayed helmet... you're a formicid, aren't you? :respek:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sooo... would it be weird if Djinni could wear naga barding on their not-legs?

It doesn't feel like that's what'd make them particularly OP and it'd make naga barding marginally less prone to be a worthless find!

In my head I'm imagining it like a tubular "skirt" of sorts. Since the "lack of legs" translates to an AC penalty of sorts, I assume the "jet" at the bottom of Djinni is corporeal enough for wearing armor too?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I really feel like barding needs to be collapsed into just barding. Literally nothing is more frustrating than finding tons of Naga bardings over the course of the game and never finding a Centaur one or vice versa.
Though you'd probably leave Lightning Scales and Black Knight as specific to the species.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I just found Gold Dragon Scales on D4, as a Minotaur Berserker. I can't wait till I gently caress this one up.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

JerikTelorian posted:

I just found Gold Dragon Scales on D4, as a Minotaur Berserker. I can't wait till I gently caress this one up.

I just hosed up an incredible DjGo run where I picked up +4 Vamp Eveningstar on first Gozag shop and then ran into http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Elemental_Staff , had +32 Strength from rings so I could just wear Chainmail while constantly spamming Inner Flame on groups and then exploding them (guess what 100% fire immunity + Inner Flame means?)

Guess what happens with the hunger-to-equip penalty on Vamp that's meant to prevent you from hotswapping? [sp]it's just gone, you can vampswap all battle, every battle[/sp]

...and I died to a loving lone Kraken when I randomly flew about in water and then when it nearly ate me felt like "well, I'm nearly above ground, no need to waste a Blink scroll" and got slapped out of the air. :smithicide:

https://x-crawl.de/morgues/gooncrawl/gooncrawl-trunk/milly/morgue-milly-20181014-132642.txt

please somebody tell me I'm a loving idiot

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Let me guess, you're a deep elf.

Edit: Wait, grayed helmet... you're a formicid, aren't you? :respek:

Yeah. I hosed up in tomb, though. I was worshiping TSO, but for some reason I got swarmed by actually living enemies - loving phoenixes.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Reading through the design docs, I think I have a pretty good idea now how to impliment new species. I'm currently working on an Abomination species, an item-dependent crime against nature. Before I go through all the effort of implimenting it, I'd like to fetch what you all think of the idea.

Using the small abomination sprite, the species fluff is a wizard who was banished to the abyss, went mad, and escaped decided to create the ultimate species. Using insperation/pieces from merfolk, formicid, octopede, and trolls, with some human as well because it's good filler, he succeeded. However, the thing's mind could barely comprehend its new body (think frankenstein's monster) so it ran away and into the dungeon.

The positives:

8 rings!
2-handed weapons + shield!
Full equipment slots except gloves
Water breathing!
Regeneration!
+1 XP, +10% HP, +10% MP

Now I'm sure that sounds overpowered as poo poo, and that's because it is. Let's look at how this balances out, though.

The negatives:
-2 pips of fire resistence (the stiched-together body holds poorly against fire)
No natural magic resistence (held together with magic, innate resistence would tear itself apart)
The second worst base stats in the game, next to the ghoul
Terrible aptitudes (not sure how terrible yet. At least -1 in all but select skills, and probably -2 in the majority. Also -5 stealth.)

Other negatives im unsure about adding:
Innate shouting mutation
Innate blurry vision mutation

The idea is a species which sorely needs to use most of its slot-enhancements just to cover its weaknesses, with an easy early game, an insanely difficult mid game, and will probably be one of the best species imaginable for late game if you're lucky with items/don't train all over place. Think of it like the opposite of a gnoll.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 14, 2018

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Changelog for .22 posted:

The Mace of Variability is reworked to sometimes create arcs of chaos that harm nearby monsters, but not the wielder. The enchantment is now a fixed +7.

Dungeon Crawl v.22: Mace of Variability no longer variable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl updates:
  • Fixed most of the backside implementation stuff for permabuffs (I think). I could push it out quick tonight with Deflect Missiles for testing, but would prefer to get perma-forms in first to make it easier for testing (since I think forms are going to be the buggiest spell to get working).
  • Metoron ported over the Archaeologist background from X-Crawl for a PR, so that's now merged! Changes from X-Crawl's version: they don't get enchanted boots and gloves at the start, but they do get a whip. Mortal enemies: snakes and boulder beetles.