Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

fishmech posted:

If you want everything copied, you need to copy everything. It's that simple. It's not like there's any other modern operating system out there where you can transfer everything to a new machine without copying stuff over manually - Android, iOS, various Linuxes offer transfer mechanisms but you end up with things left out.

Hello my name is MacOS and I have this neat thing called time machine that does exactly this and has done so for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Windows does have an imaging service, it's just that it doesn't play nice with the Linux subsystem for Windows.

Also, Mac OS is an OS that feels perpetually stuck in 2006 but with some terrible Ios additions sprinkled in.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

loving around with making the entire Users directory into a junction link is a terrible idea, because if that junction fails for any reason your system becomes unusable.

N-no? It still boots normally, I just can't log into my own user acct. I've been using this since early vista days and never had an issue. Thanks for the tip on changing path in settings though, I'll use that next time I reinstall.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Truga posted:

N-no? It still boots normally, I just can't log into my own user acct. I've been using this since early vista days and never had an issue. Thanks for the tip on changing path in settings though, I'll use that next time I reinstall.
Just your own account? Wait, did you junction Users\Truga or did you junction Users itself?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Laserface posted:

Hello my name is MacOS and I have this neat thing called time machine that does exactly this and has done so for years.

No it doesn't. It again breaks things on the edges and you get weird results moving between several generations apart hardware.

What all these OS systems for transfers have in common is that they work best hen you only want a small amount of info to transfer over, and the more things you need to keep the more difficult it gets.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Truga posted:

N-no? It still boots normally, I just can't log into my own user acct.

So I haven't actually seen that happen, what options does it present you when it boots and the users directory is empty? I had been going with the assumption that no accounts to log into = can't log into anything. But I suppose if it gives you access to safe mode or recovery tools it's not completely terrible.

Anyways junctions and symbolic links are not as low-level on windows as mounting points are on linux, so in general it's best to use them with restraint.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The only time it didn't work for me was when I upgraded to OS X 10.9 or similar and the version of python I installed for sickbeard to work got overwritten with a new one and there was no update for python to work on the new os.

Otherwise I have had no issue with it the sever times I've used it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

So I haven't actually seen that happen, what options does it present you when it boots and the users directory is empty? I had been going with the assumption that no accounts to log into = can't log into anything. But I suppose if it gives you access to safe mode or recovery tools it's not completely terrible.

I think it just goes "oh..." and then takes a long-rear end time to spin up a new profile for temporary use. Then you load and your desktop is all empty and there's a little notification in the corner that says your profile was corrupted and you're in a temporary profile and that data you store in it will be lost.
At least that's what my work computer did when the network was on the fritz again.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
In short, automatically transferring all your installed apps and data is impossible because Windows doesn't keep track of where all those legacy apps come from or changes they made when they were installed. As developers move onto the appx package framework this should be more possible, but there's still brand new code being pushed that doesn't use it so we're a long ways away. You can already see some of the legacy app issues with resuming after an update reboot, anything that isn't on the UWP framework is essentially invisible.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Raygereio posted:

After turning the machine on, win10 got stuck on the loading screen and rebooted itself. This repeated itself a couple of times until I got the message that automatic repair failed.

I got this a couple weeks ago. I paid money for a utility that fixed it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My computer installed the October update today without my knowledge while I was at dinner and the sound suddenly failed. Apparently that's a common problem: https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-october-2018-update-could-wreck-havoc-with-intels-new-graphics-driver

The computer started saying there were no audio devices or drivers on the system at all. The "Sounds" section of the Device manager was empty. Finally I was able to find something that sounded like an audio driver in the System Devices section of Device Manager, and I rolled it back to the previous version. Sound came back, drivers reappeared.

This windows update really sucked.

fishmech posted:

No it doesn't. It again breaks things on the edges and you get weird results moving between several generations apart hardware.

What all these OS systems for transfers have in common is that they work best hen you only want a small amount of info to transfer over, and the more things you need to keep the more difficult it gets.

Yeah a few months ago after my 2011 Mac died I tried to buy a new Mac and transfer everything over with time machine. The new mac finished updating everything and a couple hours later completely stopped working. Went to the Apple store, they couldn't fix it. Got a full refund and switched to PC.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 12, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ccs posted:

My computer installed the October update today without my knowledge while I was at dinner and the sound suddenly failed. Apparently that's a common problem: https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-october-2018-update-could-wreck-havoc-with-intels-new-graphics-driver

The computer started saying there were no audio devices or drivers on the system at all. The "Sounds" section of the Device manager was empty. Finally I was able to find something that sounded like an audio driver in the System Devices section of Device Manager, and I rolled it back to the previous version. Sound came back, drivers reappeared.

This windows update really sucked.

Yeah they need to stop pushing drivers over Windows Update except:

- when the device is non-functional because of no driver (even an INF-only driver counts as a driver in this case), OR
- there is an actual security problem that the new driver fixes, OR
- when the user has explicitly requested an updated driver from Windows Update, AND IN EITHER CASE
- the updated driver does not meaningfully introduce the risk of system instability, device instability (including 'does not come back from sleep'), or data loss, AND ALSO IN EITHER CASE
- Microsoft shall not value an OEM's word for poo poo.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Some of the worst driver problems I've had have been with my Surface Pro so I don't think Microsoft is an any position to be pointing the finger at other hardware manufacturers.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dissss posted:

Some of the worst driver problems I've had have been with my Surface Pro so I don't think Microsoft is an any position to be pointing the finger at other hardware manufacturers.

Then they can also not take their own device team's word for poo poo. You'd think they'd be used to that by now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

dont be mean to me posted:

Then they can also not take their own device team's word for poo poo. You'd think they'd be used to that by now.

The issues are way wider than just drivers - quality is in the toilet all round with updates these days both major and minor.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Well, looks like I wasn't the only one with this problem.
That HP Keyboard driver seems to have been the culprit. That's some great WHQL testing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dylan16807 posted:

Just your own account? Wait, did you junction Users\Truga or did you junction Users itself?

Oh yeah, I just junction my own account obviously. I'm stupid, but I'm not quite that stupid :v:

Sorry for the misinformation!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Raygereio posted:

That's some great WHQL testing.

Your making the assumption they actually do that... Because at this point it's painfully obvious they don't anymore.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
With the last large update my Westmere desktop became unbootable (no idea why, it was fine after reinstall) and my Skylake laptop wouldn't install the update (because I had a 600p as my SSD) but kept wanting to try even after failing repeatedly. I started out pretty sanguine with Windows 10 but after that experience I decided to run Current Branch for Business on any system I actually care about keeping stable instead of doing Microsoft's beta testing for them. It's unfortunate to have come to this point, but here we are.

Condolences to Home users.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 12, 2018

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to define new locations for the search to look? The one that comes up when you hit the windows key

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Question Friend posted:

Is there a way to define new locations for the search to look? The one that comes up when you hit the windows key

Indexing Options?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I mean, this app is a fat pig on the notion of being an Electron app, but it's also a nice alternative to conhost to run cmd.exe or Powershell:

https://hyper.is/

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

So what's the smart bet on when Windows will have a unified control panel/location for settings again?
2020? 2024? I legitimately cannot believe that what Windows 8 broke with regards to splitting settings in multiple places is still a thing in 2018.

It's absolutely amazing that I can go into network settings and get passed off into the old control panel if I want to change sharing settings. Only microsoft can gently caress that up.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SRQ posted:

So what's the smart bet on when Windows will have a unified control panel/location for settings again?
2020? 2024? I legitimately cannot believe that what Windows 8 broke with regards to splitting settings in multiple places is still a thing in 2018.

It's absolutely amazing that I can go into network settings and get passed off into the old control panel if I want to change sharing settings. Only microsoft can gently caress that up.

Windows really has had a "beta" feel since 8 because of crap like this.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
You would think that with all the manpower Microsoft has that this would be fixed in quite a short while, especially with the time between OS releases 7 -> 8 -> 10.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently there's still friction between teams. I've read some older anonymized post from 2013, where some supposed Microsoft dev claimed that dev team leads frown a lot upon submitting patches to other team's code, or merging there-of. Combine that with a recent-ish post on Reddit of another supposed dev ranting about the format of the UWP settings app, it sounds like the teams responsible for the features have to create the settings pages, and not the team that does the framework app, or another dedicated team trying to migrate everything that is old. So it's kinda not surprising, things aren't progressing.

It can't be that after years of the app existing, you still can't do basic important stuff like configuring network adapters. That is just loving ridiculous. The only thing that the UWP app lets you do is show the current configuration and mark an adapter on a public or private network. And if your adapter can't reach the public internet, it's ignored altogether. Per UWP app, I apparently don't have a dedicated NIC to my NAS. Ones without link don't show either.

Also, in relation to the 2013 post, a while ago when I was ranting about something similar in here, it was mentioned in this thread that the kernel team was probably still competent. Said post is kinda wishy-washy about it, saying they're decent guys but have an irrational fear of changes to existing/old stuff due to breakage. Like what the hell. How do you progress with the operating system then? Relying on CPU advances? Trying to find out whether Windows does something similar like Linux' transparent hugepages, which is a nice performance enhancing feature in relation to virtual memory, make me run into said 2013 post to begin with. And no, the NT kernel doesn't use large pages at all (you need to set a boot flag, and then still only userland apps can optionally use them. 7-zip gains like 15%-ish performance on compression, at least on my system).

Microsoft can be glad that the wider Linux ecosystem suffers from the Cascade of Attention-deficit Teenagers.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 14, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

And no, the NT kernel doesn't use large pages at all (you need to set a boot flag, and then still only userland apps can optionally use them. 7-zip gains like 15%-ish performance on compression, at least on my system).

Whats this now? How do I set that and are there any downsides? Why isn't it default?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think it was in April where a flaw in the large page implementation was found, incidentally via 7-zip, probably because no one uses it. It's been fixed in the latest Windows releases.

To enable it, you need to go into the Local Security Policy MMC, under Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment and add your account to the "Lock pages in memory" privilege. That allows apps that support large pages to use them. The kernel itself doesn't appear to, at least according to Microsoft's own VMMap RAMMap tool.

Too bad that they don't, it'll allow the TLBs to cover larger memory regions and improve performance when memory accesses are all over the place. Linux does automatically allocate 2MB pages based on memory allocation requests, and merge sequences of 4KB pages where possible. For all applications (it's not like apps care about paging and poo poo).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 14, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thats really interesting. Do you know of any other apps that could take advantage of large pages? Im not sure 7zip is high on my list of priority apps. It's unreal the kernel itself can't use the extra size.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Large pages in NT smell very suspiciously like a bespoke feature that was added at the request of one specific Microsoft customer that had one very specific use case; and if you're using them in a way outside of how that very specific case uses them, you're off into uncharted and largely untested territory.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not sure. Some fractals renderer claims 12% with large pages, too: https://www.chaoticafractals.com/manual/getting-started/enabling-large-page-support-windows

As far as the kernel not using it. Ain't so much that it can't, probably it just won't. I figure, based the name of the access right, Microsoft doesn't use it because these pages probably can't be swapped in the current kernel. And the bug that arose this spring suggests it's not well used and tested, either. Which is too bad, because it leaves performance on the table.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not sure. Some fractals renderer claims 12% with large pages, too: https://www.chaoticafractals.com/manual/getting-started/enabling-large-page-support-windows

As far as the kernel not using it. Ain't so much that it can't, probably it just won't. I figure, based the name of the access right, Microsoft doesn't use it because these pages probably can't be swapped in the current kernel. And the bug that arose this spring suggests it's not well used and tested, either. Which is too bad, because it leaves performance on the table.

I went to check out the setting, guess what is enabled by default on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations? Yep.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Did you buy the Workstation edition in full, or some looted Ebay key? --edit: Also, what for?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 14, 2018

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Windows is a weird paradox between a rigorously compatible, relatively safe kernel & a wacky/randomly busted userland. No hate, but that's kind of the lay of the land. I can't really see people getting mad that a weird kernel setting is off by default, but ask people how they feel about context menus!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did you buy the Workstation edition in full, or some looted Ebay key? --edit: Also, what for?

Ebay, for why not, I prefer my windows performant, not power saving. Its like Enterprise+. Kinda.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think it was in April where a flaw in the large page implementation was found, incidentally via 7-zip, probably because no one uses it. It's been fixed in the latest Windows releases.

To enable it, you need to go into the Local Security Policy MMC, under Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment and add your account to the "Lock pages in memory" privilege. That allows apps that support large pages to use them. The kernel itself doesn't appear to, at least according to Microsoft's own VMMap RAMMap tool.

Too bad that they don't, it'll allow the TLBs to cover larger memory regions and improve performance when memory accesses are all over the place. Linux does automatically allocate 2MB pages based on memory allocation requests, and merge sequences of 4KB pages where possible. For all applications (it's not like apps care about paging and poo poo).

Which is weird, because it is a default installation procedure when installing SQL server, at least IIRC. You'd think it be pretty well tested,

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm having an issue with colour calibration. I use the calibrator to calibrate the screen. If I then turn the screen off or if it goes into standby, the calibration resets. The profile in colour management still says its default, it's still "applied". But it very obviously has reset to the default windows values. I have to recalibrate the screen to get it to calibrate again. Restarting doesn't fix it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use https://displaycal.net/ to calibrate my screens. It also includes a program which keeps applying the calibration files in case something fucks with the color calibration.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
With Windows 10's "Reset this PC" feature, if you use the option to erase everything, does it also wipe the hard drive? Or does it just do a quick format and re-install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

With Windows 10's "Reset this PC" feature, if you use the option to erase everything, does it also wipe the hard drive? Or does it just do a quick format and re-install?

There should be the choice of either reinstalling Windows only (leaves apps and data on your drive but nothing is 'installed' as far as Windows is concerned) or completely flatten and reinstall. I don't believe the latter is considered a secure erase, but if you're installed on a SSD then a TRIM pass afterwards ought to be good enough.