Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beefstew posted:

WELP
Show's going on hiatus until loving April.
Got a link to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So this being a two-cour season ended up being total bullshit. Incredible.

What the gently caress was that at the end. No, no, you can't just randomly throw that into the ending then go into a giant hiatus, it doesn't work that way. Especially coming after a lie. Christ.

Captain Invictus posted:

Got a link to that?

https://myanimelist.net/news/55967234

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's not the cruelest thing they could have teased, but it's close

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 14, 2018

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah 2 cours with 5 months in between isn't a two cour season, its two 1-cour seasons.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Out of all the things teased I honestly wouldn't have expected that, but it makes for a great whiplash considering how hopeful this episode was.

But yeah for the record:

Maera Sior posted:

Except none of them had this innocent or happy time in their lives! The characters are not nostalgic for these times, unlike what the imagery portrays (extremely generic shots, in pastels or sepia, with sparkles). By the time of the trio running and laughing, Mikasa had seen both her parents murdered, Eren went after several adults with a knife, and both of them had killed. Armin was always being beat up, so he didn't exactly have a great life there, although it certainly was less traumatic than the others. Levi was never innocent or happy (or properly fed), and Erwin can't get over what an idiot he was.

As you could see this episode Eren, Armin, and Mikasa actually are nostalgic for those times when they were kids. They went through some poo poo but at the end of the day they were still kids that led somewhat happy lives despite their traumas. I don't think Levi or Erwin were shown as having happy lives as kids in the opening though. It just seems to show a super abridged version of Levi's childhood with Kenny, and Erwin's determination fulfill the dream of his father and find out the truth of the world.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really, really like kid Eren patting adult Eren on the arm.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Tamba posted:

Don't skip the ending.

I have no idea what I just saw, but that was a really cool way to do a cliffhanger!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wow, this episode really proves that Sasha's a Titan then, and a dangerous one at that.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I think I've screenshot most of the stuff in the credits that we haven't seen before.

:siren: Episode 49 SPOILER WARNING :siren:
Whole gallery here, 19 images: https://imgur.com/a/rpkK6P4
:siren: Episode 49 SPOILER WARNING :siren:

Not much makes sense, but it's metal as gently caress.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 14, 2018

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That bee is a titan

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

What a loving tease, get hype anime-onlys, poo poo's gonna be real in April.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tweet my meat posted:

That bee is a titan

If you mean the bug chowing down on another one, it's a robber fly. Which opens the door to even more interesting speculation so by all means go for it

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Captain Invictus posted:

If you mean the bug chowing down on another one, it's a robber fly. Which opens the door to even more interesting speculation so by all means go for it

No more speculation to be had, I solved the riddle with my first post

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Blaze Dragon posted:

So this being a two-cour season ended up being total bullshit. Incredible.

JahRoo posted:

Yeah 2 cours with 5 months in between isn't a two cour season, its two 1-cour seasons.

It is going to be a 2-cour season. "Seasons" refer to production runs with assigned programming blocs, and split cours (~24 episodes with a gap halfway through) aren't uncommon. It's usually 3 months but well, poo poo happens; it's likely they ran into production issues or couldn't secure the desired programming black for Winter.

The promo card for the Spring bloc says Season 3 still.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Wow, yet another moment of respectful silence for you, my anime-only friends, having to wait at least ANOTHER year wondering if to see if it's finally going to be the season where they get to the basement. :smith:

Sindai posted:

That's not the cruelest thing they could have teased, but it's close

If it's any help, yeah, that's like the second cruelest thing they could have put there as a teaser.

Ok, that's not any help at all. Come back soon, Attack on Titan.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Catalina posted:

Wow, yet another moment of respectful silence for you, my anime-only friends, having to wait at least ANOTHER year wondering if to see if it's finally going to be the season where they get to the basement. :smith:

If it's any help, yeah, that's like the second cruelest thing they could have put there as a teaser.

Ok, that's not any help at all. Come back soon, Attack on Titan.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
They just To You: 2000 Years From Now'd us with this hiatus.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Out of all the things teased I honestly wouldn't have expected that, but it makes for a great whiplash considering how hopeful this episode was.

But yeah for the record:

As you could see this episode Eren, Armin, and Mikasa actually are nostalgic for those times when they were kids. They went through some poo poo but at the end of the day they were still kids that led somewhat happy lives despite their traumas. I don't think Levi or Erwin were shown as having happy lives as kids in the opening though. It just seems to show a super abridged version of Levi's childhood with Kenny, and Erwin's determination fulfill the dream of his father and find out the truth of the world.

I'll accept that as the intent, but still think it has terrible execution for a number of reasons.

That was an amazing end and I did not think I could be as hyped as I am. After going through frame by frame, I was able to figure out what most of the shots were. Speculation below:
  • Ymir is dead (there was a shot of her hand from when she was being eaten in S2). RIP Ymir, not that I ever had any hope in her showing up again.
  • The other guy with Reiner is R&B's new partner, possibly someone who was just promoted (after eating Ymir?). They returned a shifter, so they get a new one to bring with them. Their mission wasn't supposed to be just the two of them, after all.
  • The photo(?!) of the woman is someone who was important to Grisha, and seeing the child on her lap (best guess as to the composition) would give things away, so of course it was cropped out.
  • My best guess is that she's a relative of Grisha (mother? sister? Grisha's on her lap?), and something happened to her that made him flee the outside civilization (for lack of a better term). He kept the photo to remember her and it's in the basement, so we'll actually see it in the show.
  • Man, that's a lot of The Titan That Ate Eren's Mom. Apparently it's important.
  • There is going to be a massive, massive body count. The ending had shots of people being burned, eaten, and just generally lying around dead. Presumably a bunch of these new-to-us, distinctively designed squad leaders will die. Erwin is leading the pack, waving his own death flag with his remaining arm.
  • I'm not sure what Eren and Mikasa were doing, but Levi thinks they made a really terrible, giant mistake. Presumably this is in the aftermath of taking Shiganshina, given the carnage around them. Given how they like to do episodes, this will be at the end of one and we'll have to wait yet another week to see how the situation is defused.
  • Speaking of which, given that they showed part of the aftermath as a teaser for the rest of the season, I'm guessing the battle won't actually climax at the very end of the show. There will be several episodes to play out the ramifications of whatever (arguably) dumb thing they did.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:tviv:
:thumbsup:

That was a good ep. I was :smith: when that dude looked like Hannes for a second...

Credits was :wtc:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Maera Sior posted:

[*]The other guy with Reiner is R&B's new partner, possibly someone who was just promoted (after eating Ymir?). They returned a shifter, so they get a new one to bring with them. Their mission wasn't supposed to be just the two of them, after all.

That's our boy Bertoto with a bad case of bed hair.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Anime cliffhangers must have broken me, because I'm cool with that ending and the six month hiatus.

I'm curious about the scorched body and the dismembered person with titan steam though. They have scout clothing, so it can't be Reiner and Bertolt. I could see Levi being upset if one was Erwin, but if it's the same scorched body in the close-up as on the roof, then it has both arms intact, and the dismembered shifter has brown hair.

What really makes my head spin is the way they introduced the cliffhanger. I don't know if it's just a stylistic choice or if the g-g-glitch means science-fiction is at foot. The comments about the injection being tech their civilization don't have access to could foreshadow a sci-fi twist. Same thing with that damned flower. It's hard to tell if it's a stylistic choice the way J.J. Abrams uses lense flares, or if AOT's obsession with flowers leads somewhere.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 15, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That glitch/teaser/cliffhanger was loving incredible. THAT'S how you build suspense for the second half! I have no clue what went down, what could have went down, I went frame by frame through those images and have no idea what the gently caress. If I could have one thing explained, it would be that weird tall hairy titan just walking through the forest. Why include THAT? I love this show!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Conspiratiorist posted:

If it is, the animators forgot he's got a widow's peak.

Also yeah that glitch ending had me psyched, really sucks we have to wait until spring.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ok, then I'm a moron and more face-blind than I thought.

ETA: Rewatched that bit and it still doesn't look like Bertholt to me.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 15, 2018

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Someone else put together a nice image gallery here.

Thought dump on the (mostly) still images from the ending that are new (or might have new implications) to the audience:
  • Bloody Levi - Matches the teaser we got, but it looks like he's in shock. Possibly his initial reaction to whatever Eren and Mikasa did.
  • Burned body - Obviously a scout, either burned by the Colossal Titan or from Shiganshina catching on fire.
  • Dirty old shoe - Actually not sure what's going on with this, but we did see another single shoe in the opening. This will definitely be cleared up later.
  • Lady in photo - Someone attached to Grisha. There's part of a child's head, so we're being kept from any more information that would give her away. I still think she's related to Grisha and we'll find this photo in the basement.
  • The Titan That Ate Eren's Mom - Symbolic of where everything got screwed up. Also shows up a bunch of times, so it's now important. Someone more obsessive than me noticed that it's smashed against the lady in the photo, so it's possible they're the same person; this would point to a pretty specific reason why Grisha left the Outside.
  • Someone dead on a floor - Appears to be blond, but that doesn't look like Armin or Erwin. There's a piece of glass on the floor that's cracked.
  • Military uniformed figure - Doesn't seem to have a hand or head, and it looks like a shattered statue that's been dressed up or painted. I suspect this may be related to the origin of the titans; it certainly doesn't match anything we've seen inside the walls. No idea what the fireplace is about. ETA: I just realized this looks like a statue that has been purposefully defaced. I have some half-formed ideas that I need to think about.
  • Seashell - The actual or promised trip to the the ocean.
  • Guide book - Did we get a shot of one of Armin's books in season 1? It could also be Grisha's, and thus we would see it in the basement.
  • Titan bodies in a field - One of them has a visible skull and that plus the long arms make me think it's the Beast Titan (or an earlier experiment). Check out these hominid skulls for an idea of what he probably has.
  • Door with lock - Basement for sure.
  • General motifs - Eren's transformation, the key, the Beast Titan, people being eaten (including Ymir's titan form and a shot from the season 2 ending), general terror (attacking titans, extreme closeups of teeth, the imagined titans when they were looking for the hole in the wall in the dark).
I find these sorts of edits fascinating. Almost everything that goes on the screen needs to evoke a strong visceral reaction (for a strong initial viewing impact), but the ability to go frame by frame allows the committed viewer to find single-frame cuts that would otherwise be lost, and they're definitely editing for that audience as well.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 17, 2018

Catalina
May 20, 2008

As a manga reader, I want to thank you for the speculation. :allears:
I think confirming or denying, or telling you how many things you're close or far on would be too spoilery, so I'll leave it at that. It's fun seeing people react and speculate to the same good story, and it's interesting because certain things are being revealed and/or teased in a different order. For instance, at this point in the story, Ymir's backstory hadn't been revealed, and it was so painful.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
So if I was gonna start reading the manga because I'm impatient, at this point in the series what chapter should I start with, since they've mixed some stuff up?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

FordCQC posted:

So if I was gonna start reading the manga because I'm impatient, at this point in the series what chapter should I start with, since they've mixed some stuff up?

Welcome to the club! :hfive: The manga and anime are pretty much in the same place at this part of the story, meaning that you should start at chapter 73 "The Town Where Everything Began" (Volume 18, chapter 3). I don't think there's anything that's a strong enough difference that would throw you off, just a couple things that you've seen like Ymir's backstory and Bobo the Monkey Titan's human form not having appeared yet. I think that flashback to Marco’s death where Reiner, Burrito, and Annie were there doesn't show up until something like two more arcs from now.
This message brought to you by the Encouragment to Pay For the Official Kodansha USA English Translation if You Can Foundation. They're miles above the fan translations, and are complete, because quite often hosted on servers that cut things like excessive gore because of objections from ad companies where they get their illegal revenue from. Imagine the horror: reading Attack on Titan and not knowing about the poo poo machine
Actually, expect certain key scenes to be more gory in general, especially if it's of a named human character. Hannes's death scene was loving brutal, as was Jean discovering Marco's corpse.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 17, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:speculate:

Reiner got a new handler, the wide-faced dude we saw with him at the end. Really excited to see what kind of society exists beyond the Walls and what they think of the people inside, specifically:
Are there other, Walled enclaves?
Is this Earth? If so, when did everyone turn into titans, because if it was in modern history there are going to be a lot of titans...
Do the other bastions of :airquote: humanity :airquote: know more about titans, but lack the ability to control them?
What is the end-goal of the Outsiders trying to steal the Coordinate? Do they want to take over the walls for themselves, set up a new empire, or eliminate all titans?
Is eliminating them all even possible?

FordCQC posted:

While I'm told this cleaves more closely to the source material, having just fielded this question a bunch in The Expanse TV thread: I think it's best with any media to just start from the beginning.

If you just ~want to know~ what happens, then look up the wiki article. If you want the actual story experience, start it over in the new medium.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Catalina posted:

As a manga reader, I want to thank you for the speculation. :allears:
I think confirming or denying, or telling you how many things you're close or far on would be too spoilery, so I'll leave it at that. It's fun seeing people react and speculate to the same good story, and it's interesting because certain things are being revealed and/or teased in a different order. For instance, at this point in the story, Ymir's backstory hadn't been revealed, and it was so painful.
I think it's pretty smart of them to mix up the order a little. Not only does it give more flexibility to the pacing (I'm looking at you, season 1), but it also gives the manga readers a reason to keep up.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Maera Sior posted:

I think it's pretty smart of them to mix up the order a little. Not only does it give more flexibility to the pacing (I'm looking at you, season 1), but it also gives the manga readers a reason to keep up.

Tell that to the manga-reader guy who asks me every week what happened so that he can spam me with vague hints I don't want

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

Tell that to the manga-reader guy who asks me every week what happened so that he can spam me with vague hints I don't want
He sounds like an rear end in a top hat, I would block him.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I personally would never tell anyone to actually read early attack on titan because holy poo poo the art is real bad

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

My iPod was on shuffle and the first season’s opening theme came on while i was doing the dishes. Man does that get you pumped up and hype as hell

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, fascistic music tends to do that

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Maera Sior posted:

He sounds like an rear end in a top hat, I would block him.

Considered it, but that same compulsion can make people like him useful if I can get them onto a topic I actually want to hear about.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

I personally would never tell anyone to actually read early attack on titan because holy poo poo the art is real bad

please dont bully artists they try their best

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Catalina posted:

Welcome to the club! :hfive: The manga and anime are pretty much in the same place at this part of the story, meaning that you should start at chapter 73 "The Town Where Everything Began" (Volume 18, chapter 3). I don't think there's anything that's a strong enough difference that would throw you off, just a couple things that you've seen like Ymir's backstory and Bobo the Monkey Titan's human form not having appeared yet. I think that flashback to Marco’s death where Reiner, Burrito, and Annie were there doesn't show up until something like two more arcs from now.
This message brought to you by the Encouragment to Pay For the Official Kodansha USA English Translation if You Can Foundation. They're miles above the fan translations, and are complete, because quite often hosted on servers that cut things like excessive gore because of objections from ad companies where they get their illegal revenue from. Imagine the horror: reading Attack on Titan and not knowing about the poo poo machine
Actually, expect certain key scenes to be more gory in general, especially if it's of a named human character. Hannes's death scene was loving brutal, as was Jean discovering Marco's corpse.

Thanks for this.

I didn't realize you could get them digitally now, since as I mentioned, I'm impatient. Beats the old days of going to Media Play and them never having copies of the issues you're missing or waiting for the anime convention to roll around to get them.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

On the Japanese 2chan board, it became a meme to say "I can't tell if it's Reiner or Jean" for the early manga art, because it was hard to tell when the art was rough in the beginning. There's a Q&A session with each chapter published, and one was:
Q: How bad is Hange's eyesight without her glasses?
A: Hajime Isayama (the author): Without her glasses, Hange can't tell the difference between Jean and Reiner.

Personally, I think the anime follows the manga closely enough (the first half of the season being the exception, but the anime is more like the second draft as opposed to the anime's first draft) that if you're wanting to continue on with the story, it's not worth going back to the beginning of the whole thing unless you'd really like to. Most of the differences are a few small differences in characterization: maybe a small few instances a season of more development like Annie being the one that taught Eren martial arts, or Erwin having had to give up his love for titans, and her having ended up married to Erwin's best friend in the Military Police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

FordCQC posted:

Thanks for this.

I didn't realize you could get them digitally now, since as I mentioned, I'm impatient. Beats the old days of going to Media Play and them never having copies of the issues you're missing or waiting for the anime convention to roll around to get them.

Double Postin'
You're welcome! You should try a trial of Crunchy Roll then: It's 14 days for new users, and they have all the chapters. After that, it's $7 a month.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/freetrial
I also use my Amazon Prime shipping credits to buy copies to keep, too.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 18, 2018