Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just let the loving rabbit have some sugar cereal, goddamn.

Also, reminded of the LCMs ads, which had a... well, very Australian kind of take on them.

Fun Fact: Every single time viewers were given the option, they chose for the rabbit to get the drat cereal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally getting around to watching Avatar (The original cartoon), just got past episode 2. Something funny is with Zuko totally sabotaging himself. You *had* the Avatar. He was coming willingly, but because you are a prideful turd who wanted it to look good you pissed him off and lost him. There was no reason to treat him as anything other than a passenger, Zuko just wanted to throw his weight around. That's a common thing in that kind of story, the villain needlessly antagonising the hero because of what seems to be some idiotic presentation issue.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BioEnchanted posted:

Finally getting around to watching Avatar (The original cartoon), just got past episode 2. Something funny is with Zuko totally sabotaging himself. You *had* the Avatar. He was coming willingly, but because you are a prideful turd who wanted it to look good you pissed him off and lost him. There was no reason to treat him as anything other than a passenger, Zuko just wanted to throw his weight around. That's a common thing in that kind of story, the villain needlessly antagonising the hero because of what seems to be some idiotic presentation issue.

Really it's because they needed some way to get Aang off the boat.

Also this is a good time to mention that the first half of the first season is a little rough. If you aren't feeling the series because of, say, The Great Divide, keep with it. It gets better. Way better. Watch to at least episode 13 (The Blue Spirit).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

mikemil828 posted:

Fun Fact: Every single time viewers were given the option, they chose for the rabbit to get the drat cereal.

Seems like children don't understand the gently caress you got mine aspect of capitalism yet.

asecondduck posted:

Also this is a good time to mention that the first half of the first season is a little rough. If you aren't feeling the series because of, say, The Great Divide, keep with it. It gets better. Way better. Watch to at least episode 13 (The Blue Spirit).

Never really understood the hate for The Great Divide. It's a little shallow, but it's hardly damning the series as a whole. It's just part of the show's initial episodic phase. Not even sure it's the worst episode.

Cartoons are becoming more comfortable with overarching narratives, but there's always this grace period they start out with getting episodes which can go in any order,I guess so they have a buffer they can play around with in scheduling.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

asecondduck posted:

I haven't seen the episode but that sounds like one of those JP lines that no one acknowledges.

I could not have been more wrong. I never expected Del Tha Funky Homosapien of all people would show up as a guest star.

Goddamn this show is good

SlothfulCobra posted:

Never really understood the hate for The Great Divide. It's a little shallow, but it's hardly damning the series as a whole. It's just part of the show's initial episodic phase. Not even sure it's the worst episode.

It's the most "kids show" the series gets and has absolutely zero relevance to the overarching plot, which is why it gets singled out as the worst episode by most people (including the show's creators).

It's not bad, just the worst the series gets.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 10, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whoops, doubleposted

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

asecondduck posted:

I could not have been more wrong. I never expected Del Tha Funky Homosapien of all people would show up as a guest star.

Goddamn this show is good

It's the most "kids show" the series gets and has absolutely zero relevance to the overarching plot, which is why it gets singled out as the worst episode by most people (including the show's creators).

It's not bad, just the worst the series gets.

Yeah, the Great Divide is probably the only Avatar/Korra episode that's completely skippable as it contributes nothing to the development of the plot or characters (even the recap episode later on just glosses over it quickly and moves on).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just let the loving rabbit have some sugar cereal, goddamn.

The rabbit is diabetic and they're just trying to save him from himself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm also pretty sure the repeated harassment to and attempted theft from Lucky counts as a hate crime against the Irish.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, Toucan Sam and Coco the monkey are actively trying to promote their product, there's at least an honesty there.

Froot Loops always hosed up my mouth though. I'd be kinda scared that some kids are eating those EVERY morning.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What about Barney Rubble? Victim or entitled motherfucker?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Froot Loops always hosed up my mouth though. I'd be kinda scared that some kids are eating those EVERY morning.

People always said Captain Crunch cuts your mouth up, I'm convinced those people had weak babyman mouths.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I love Captain Crunch and it's never given me mouth discomfort.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yardbomb posted:

People always said Captain Crunch cuts your mouth up, I'm convinced those people had weak babyman mouths.

I think captain crunch has gone through a couple revisions of being super hard and being regular cereal a few times over the years. It's corn and oat cereal and I think it's gone through cycles of being super soft corn puffs that looked at an oat once and hard little rocks maybe more than once. Like how honey nut cheerios may or may not contain honey or nuts depending on prices and whats selling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Presumably your gums harden after a point.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
i ate captain crunch on a occasion and it was....it hurt my teeth a lot. i like cereal that's less bad for the mouth and much more healthy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yardbomb posted:

It's Apple Jacks for me and it sucks because I hate the taste of blood in my vaguely-fruity cereals :mad:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
And that's why you eat cereal with milk, to soften it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

What about Barney Rubble? Victim or entitled motherfucker?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There were two parts I liked about the episode

Aang using his status as the Avatar to try resolve an ancient feud

Telling a huge whopping lie to succeed in doing so

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gnome de plume posted:

There were two parts I liked about the episode

Aang using his status as the Avatar to try resolve an ancient feud

Telling a huge whopping lie to succeed in doing so

That’s actually a tenet in Buddhism. It’s ok to lie if doing so helps bring someone closer to Enlightenment. There’s lots of Buddhism in TLA.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
God drat it, Marinette, your love rival gave you literally the exact advice you needed and you still managed to blow it and stay stuck in the status quo. It's almost as if the writers don't want the romance to develop! :thunk:

It was funny how the akuma fight in 'Frozer' was so cursory compared to the double-dating misadventures that they had to throw in an extra one at the beginning just to get some more action, though. "Do we have to have an akuma? Can't we just have Marinette and Adrien at excruciating cross-purposes for 22 minutes?"

'Maledikteur' was good all-round, though. Holy poo poo, Chloe gets sympathy and actual character development and (maybe (possibly)) starts on the road to redemption! Can't believe there are now somehow only two episodes left in the season - it's been almost a full year since 'The Collector' first aired.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly even as a kid I found that confusing too

Same. But then again, I also was never a fan of Apple Jacks.

Don't think I had a "favorite" cereal though. It was always a combination of Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Honey Comb, Golden Grahams, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Rice Crispies/Treats.

Huh. I guess I wasn't as much of a picky eater as I thought, growing up. :monocle:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 13, 2018

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm like halfway through episode 1 of Hilda and my god this show is gorgeous

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the Great Divide is probably the only Avatar/Korra episode that's completely skippable as it contributes nothing to the development of the plot or characters (even the recap episode later on just glosses over it quickly and moves on).

The recap episode skips most of the show.

And, ironically, watching The Great Divide is essential to getting the (very funny) joke about how disposable the episode is.

(I'd argue there are worse episodes anyway. Nightmares and Daydreams isn't great, for instance.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Aang screaming into the sheep is all-time.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Finally started watching Miraculous and I was wondering how the heck Ladybug figures out how to use her Lucky Charm even after a few objects are highlighted....like how do you connect those dots together?.

Also, does Tigermoth just stay in that room until someone in that school expressed some emotion? If Tigermoth is attracted to negative emotions, why just focus on people connected to that high school?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

TV Zombie posted:

Finally started watching Miraculous and I was wondering how the heck Ladybug figures out how to use her Lucky Charm even after a few objects are highlighted....like how do you connect those dots together?
I just figured Ladybug was pulling an Action Man and it all just clicks for her.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Marinette is just a smart girl; the dots are just visual shorthand for the fans.

Also yes it was recently confirmed that Hawkmoth spends all his time at home waiting for someone to get mad in Paris. Luckily he has the worst person ever supplying negative emotions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Senerio posted:

Marinette is just a smart girl; the dots are just visual shorthand for the fans.

Also yes it was recently confirmed that Hawkmoth spends all his time at home waiting for someone to get mad in Paris. Luckily he has the worst person ever supplying negative emotions.

I like when he deliberately pisses someone off as his alter ego as a shortcut. That's always pretty funny.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/RiseFallNick/status/1051642073017913346

This might be terrifying...but at least it's finally happened?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Is total dramarama popular with kids, or is it a nostalgia thing? Or is it actually good to an adult audience that doesn't have any connection to the original series?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I for one look forward to Total Drama quickly transitioning to consume 93% of CN's airtime.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
How the gently caress is this show so popular, I seriously don't get it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Twitter is going nuts about that new TMNT cartoon, apparently the action really good?

https://twitter.com/jeezreeze05/status/1051159122039775232

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That is some good, good animation. It looks like they're beating the budget by using mostly dynamic poses with few inbetweens, so you get this jolty but super lively sequence of poses.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://twitter.com/RiseFallNick/status/1051642073017913346

This might be terrifying...but at least it's finally happened?

Who wished on the monkey's paw? Reveal yourself, coward.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My son watches that Total Drama garbage and frankly I would take endless reruns of TTG over it any day.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BioEnchanted posted:

I like when he deliberately pisses someone off as his alter ego as a shortcut. That's always pretty funny.
Gabe being an rear end in a top hat to people (even Santa!) for no apparent reason throughout season 1 is even more entertaining in retrospect.

It does make you wonder why he never tried to akumatise Adrien, though. The kid is constantly miserable when he's at home, so no shortage of negative emotions! Plus Gabe knows that Ladybug will rescue him safe and sound if he doesn't get her miraculous, so it's a no-risk plan. (He's put Adrien in direct danger several times already, so it's not as if his "I must protect my precious son!" routine doesn't get tossed aside when it's convenient.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Payndz posted:

Gabe being an rear end in a top hat to people (even Santa!) for no apparent reason throughout season 1 is even more entertaining in retrospect.

It does make you wonder why he never tried to akumatise Adrien, though. The kid is constantly miserable when he's at home, so no shortage of negative emotions! Plus Gabe knows that Ladybug will rescue him safe and sound if he doesn't get her miraculous, so it's a no-risk plan. (He's put Adrien in direct danger several times already, so it's not as if his "I must protect my precious son!" routine doesn't get tossed aside when it's convenient.)

To be fair Adrien being in direct danger is almost always accidental. I liked that "My God Adrien, if you really are Cat Noire, please just transform and SAVE YOURSELF!" Also Adrien's misery may just never reach the level of despair he needs for akumatisation, as he has Plagg for emotional support.

I also like that Gabriel hides his Miraculous behind his ascot. It's a clever visual touch.