Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Is there any advertising on the Saudi shows, or are they funded entirely by the Saudis?

Or could any of their existing advertisers go "hey, we don't want to be associated with journalist murderers", and put pressure on WWE that way?

Also, could this be an opportunity for ROH, or Impact to go "We don't make deals with murderous regimes! Watch us instead!"? Or would that just be a waste of money, and also largely irrellevent to the rasslin' loving demographic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Somebody tweet Snickers that this is our hour of need. Only they can save us. WWE isn't themselves when they're hungry (for money)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Somebody tweet Snickers that this is our hour of need. Only they can save us. WWE isn't themselves when they're hungry (for money)

I think you'll find that's their purest form.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Save us, Snickers Nakamura

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
WWE got called out explicitly for their propaganda on John Oliver's show tonight, so that's a few extra million eyes on that story that they were probably hoping to avoid.

https://twitter.com/HeelByNatureYT/status/1051680693711859712

We still aren't past lazy homo-eroticism jokes though, so mainstream wrestling comedy hasn't changed.

Psychepath fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 15, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Psychepath posted:

WWE got called out explicitly for their propaganda on John Oliver's show tonight, so that's a few extra million eyes on that story that they were probably hoping to avoid.

That just ensures literally nothing will come of this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

That just ensures literally nothing will come of this.

Maybe Vince McMahon will get a fuzzy animal STD ward named after him?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

I, for one, am looking forward to the Jamal Khashoggi Memorial Battle Royale

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
the political hit

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Triple H is handy with a shovel.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tokamak posted:

Triple H is handy with a shovel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS4tDjXtjJs

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I feel real bad for Shawn. Not because of the financial issues he may be going through, but because the WWE has been trying to get him to break his retirement for loving years now. Like, this isn't a case of "Shawn, out of the blue, offered millions and decides to do the match and ruin his retirement." It was WWE constantly throwing matches his way, flying him down to NXT to do stuff with the talent there, you know, push push push, get that itch just a little scratched to entice him. They've been trying to get him back in a ring since 2013 at least.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Psychepath posted:

https://twitter.com/HeelByNatureYT/status/1051680693711859712

We still aren't past lazy homo-eroticism jokes though, so mainstream wrestling comedy hasn't changed.

WTF i love the saudis now!?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Onmi posted:

I feel real bad for Shawn. Not because of the financial issues he may be going through, but because the WWE has been trying to get him to break his retirement for loving years now. Like, this isn't a case of "Shawn, out of the blue, offered millions and decides to do the match and ruin his retirement." It was WWE constantly throwing matches his way, flying him down to NXT to do stuff with the talent there, you know, push push push, get that itch just a little scratched to entice him. They've been trying to get him back in a ring since 2013 at least.

Sounds like they're gonna put that lazy eye right back to work

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
HBK will superkick the Saudi Crown Prince through a barbershop window.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Onmi posted:

I feel sorry for him getting $4 million for one tag match too.

Meltzer on WOR:

quote:

“What I was actually told was that unless the State Department tells them they can’t go or Donald Trump tells them they can’t go, then they are going.”

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Onmi posted:

I would go back and do the worst job I ever had in my life for 30 minutes for $400, never mind $4,000,000

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rovert posted:

I feel sorry for him getting $4 million for one tag match too.

Meltzer on WOR:

Has Rachel Maddow condemned the WWE for this? I think Vince would listen to her!!!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Nothing is going to happen with Saudi Arabia. The oil companies and defense contractors who control our politicians and government will lose money if sanctions are put in place. No pasa nada

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Onmi posted:

But it's super easy to not pick up the phone

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Trump seems so determined to avoid admitting that the Saudis killed him that I wouldn't be surprised if he's leaning on Linda to keep the show going or lose her job.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Blaise330 posted:

I would go back and do the worst job I ever had in my life for 30 minutes for $400, never mind $4,000,000

Please let HBK oversell everything ala his match against Hogan at SummerSlam...

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1051814214212485120?s=19

President Trump is on the case.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

This tweet makes exactly as much sense if you imagine the last word is referring to Lawler

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Oh. I thought he'd say something like "That guy? Yeah we totally killed that guy. gently caress him." Guess I was wrong.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
"Don't make fun of gay people also guys isn't wrestling super loving gay lol so loving gayyyyyy"

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Scoopz: He's returning at the Crown Jewel

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If WWE was to pull out of these events how hosed are they though? Don't they have an insane contract with them that would cost them a poo poo ton of cash were they to pull out? Not saying WWE are in the clear but how much of a choice do they have at this point?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

OldTennisCourt posted:

If WWE was to pull out of these events how hosed are they though? Don't they have an insane contract with them that would cost them a poo poo ton of cash were they to pull out? Not saying WWE are in the clear but how much of a choice do they have at this point?

Depends on how the US government handles the Saudi situation. I imagine WWE won't be in any sort of real trouble if sanctions are put in place by the US government (because they'll have an excuse to break the contract). That being said, its a huge IF. Not because of congress (both republicans and democrats are seriously considering sanctions if Saudi Arabia murdered that journalist), but because of Trump.

That being said, I am fully behind WWE breaking the contract. And Vince would likely take out his anger on those new signees from KSA. I mean I would probably feel bad for most of them, but if Mansoor got called up and promptly buried, I would be all for it since he's a giant rear end in a top hat.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 15, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

In theory they could just keep the cash.

It's not like Saudi Arabia holds grudges.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Can’t wait for Vince to be offered a trip to NYC for a luxury dinner at the Saudi embassy

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

"Don't make fun of gay people also guys isn't wrestling super loving gay lol so loving gayyyyyy"

The answer is yes, it is, and it is all the better for it.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
If HBK grows a conscience they could always slot the Undertaker back into something he did last time they were there

CrcleSqreSanchz fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 15, 2018

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Gumball Gumption posted:

The answer is yes, it is, and it is all the better for it.

"Heh really? Funny how you can watch wrestling and not be a loving gay guy! NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!" ~grins awful teeth while crowd shrieks and applauds~

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’s cool when wrestling is gay but there’s a lot of dog whistle homophobia in non-fans ridiculing it for being homoerotic, so it’s problematic for the same reasons it was problematic when people said trump has gay sex with putin

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wrestling is very gay and it owns

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

jesus WEP posted:

it’s cool when wrestling is gay but there’s a lot of dog whistle homophobia in non-fans ridiculing it for being homoerotic, so it’s problematic for the same reasons it was problematic when people said trump has gay sex with putin

:yeah:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

jesus WEP posted:

pretty much exactly, yeah

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OldTennisCourt posted:

"Heh really? Funny how you can watch wrestling and not be a loving gay guy! NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!" ~grins awful teeth while crowd shrieks and applauds~

Drumpf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
calling regular wrestling homoerotic is dumb especially when there is specifically homoerotic wrestling

• Locked thread