Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Anyway, this is a discussion for the VR thread, not the laptop thread, so this'll be my last reply on the topic here. Sorry for perpetuating this silly derail.
Yeah, sorry for bringing it here, I didn't realize it would be a derail. And thanks everyone who responded because I found two related interesting products I was previously not aware of as a result!
(I don't think it's a discussion for the VR thread either, the content there is all about stuff that's probably even less related to anything I'm interested in than this derail was to the interests of people looking for laptops! Maybe should have been its own short thread.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
To make up for my derail, there's a cheap 4GB chromebook on meh today, as of 2 minutes ago.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

roomforthetuna posted:

To make up for my derail, there's a cheap 4GB chromebook on meh today, as of 2 minutes ago.

So I'm looking for a tiny portable laptop to use on airplanes and carry around all die. The catch: I need it to arrive by the end of the week.. do y'all suggest this one? A different one? Cheaperer is betterer as long as it can do basic poo poo like web and email etc and maybe watch movies on the airplane?

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 15, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Delthalaz posted:

So I'm looking for a tiny portable laptop to use on airplanes and carry around all die. The catch: I need it to arrive by the end of the week.. do y'all suggest this one? A different one? Cheaperer is betterer as long as it can do basic poo poo like web and email etc and maybe watch movies on the airplane?

Meh won't guarantee shipping times like that, and I'm not sure what a chromebook would use to watch movies offline, but maybe someone who has one can help there. There's 11 and 14" HP Stream laptops on amazon prime for reasonable prices. They use low power CPUs and soldered in RAM and eMMC storage but they generally fit your use case.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Rexxed posted:

Meh won't guarantee shipping times like that, and I'm not sure what a chromebook would use to watch movies offline, but maybe someone who has one can help there. There's 11 and 14" HP Stream laptops on amazon prime for reasonable prices. They use low power CPUs and soldered in RAM and eMMC storage but they generally fit your use case.

Thanks! Do you recommend any one in particular?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Delthalaz posted:

Thanks! Do you recommend any one in particular?

The OP suggests the Stream 11 so I'd shoot for the most up to date one of those as possible with as much ram and storage as you can get without getting fleeced. Also the Asus X205 is mentioned there, although I'm not sure if it's still regarded as highly. It looks like with the Stream 11 the 32GB of storage models are $160-180 depending on seller and color, the 64GB is a little more expensive, but for windows 10 you really want 64GB of storage if you can get it. I've had my mini pc get failed updates and had to reinstall with only 32GB.

I'm going to tentatively suggest this one, bearing in mind that I have not used it before. It seems to fit your goals but perhaps another poster will have a better suggestion or more advice:
https://smile.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Pro-11-6-Netbook/dp/B077J58D17/

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat but I have more time to play with, so I'm all ears to anyone who has suggestions for this kind of use scenario. Essentially I just want a cheap-ish, simple laptop to primarily take on vacation for general browsing/email/video playback and PLEX streaming from my home server. Once my vacation is over I'd probably toss it in the living room and hook it up to the TV, using it rarely but for essentially the same uses(occasional browsing/email/video playback/PLEX). Ideally sub-$500 but lower is better of course.

What I've been searching for is essentially:
- Modern-ish Intel Mobile Processor(7th or 8th Gen) -- I've been mainly looking at the i5 variants, are any of the i3 tier mobile processors worthwhile?
- 8GB+ RAM - I'm not opposed to getting something with 4GB and buying an additional stick and tossing it inside as long as it's fairly easy and it makes sense pricewise. I'm looking for that just from general experience using Win10 and anything less than 8GB seems to take a huge performance hit. Some of the ones I've been looking at say they have 16GB Intel Optane SSD Memory but then only 4GB of actual RAM, what does that translate into performance wise?
- Some form of SSD - I'm not too particular if it's a 2.5in SATA drive or a NVME M.2 unit, again I'm not adverse to purchasing this later and adding it in. I don't think that should be an issue, SSD prices have tanked and I wouldn't need more than a ~128GB drive or so. Could probably get away with a ~60GB drive honestly, again I'm not planning on really using this computer for much and definitely not storing any large amounts of data on it. If anything it would just be a few movies/tv shows/etc for playback when I cannot access my PLEX and I could always throw that stuff on a spare thumb drive if it came down to it.
- 1920x1080 Resolution screen preferrably
- Decent battery life - Enough to play at least a few movies or a handful of TV shows(like ~4-5 hours would be plenty).

I've been checking the Dell Outlet like a hawk every few days and watching prices, is there anywhere else good I should be looking around? Any specific models? The one's I keep seeing pop up that meet most/all of those characteristics are the Inspiron 13" and 15" or the Latitude 12" and 13". I'm not in a huge rush as my trip isn't coming up for a few months so I'll probably try to wait for some black friday/cyber monday/christmas type deals coming up, but it'd be really nice to know what to look out for!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Delthalaz posted:

outside the box serious post: a tablet, probably kindle fire

E: If a kb/mouse is paramount to your happiness, fintie makes a good bt keyboard/folio case and whatever cheapo bt mouse. I do this sometimes when i want a keyboard but not my laptop for whatever reason. It is good.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

100% Dundee posted:

I've been checking the Dell Outlet like a hawk every few days and watching prices, is there anywhere else good I should be looking around? Any specific models? The one's I keep seeing pop up that meet most/all of those characteristics are the Inspiron 13" and 15" or the Latitude 12" and 13". I'm not in a huge rush as my trip isn't coming up for a few months so I'll probably try to wait for some black friday/cyber monday/christmas type deals coming up, but it'd be really nice to know what to look out for!
For under $500 try a used Thinkpad t460 or x260 e.g. this.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Rexxed posted:

My Chromebook* will play mp4 videos natively with a builtin video player app if you copy them to the hard drive. It'll play anything if you install a Crouton desktop and VLC.

*Intel; not sure if ARM has the same capabilities

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Statutory Ape posted:

outside the box serious post: a tablet, probably kindle fire

E: If a kb/mouse is paramount to your happiness, fintie makes a good bt keyboard/folio case and whatever cheapo bt mouse. I do this sometimes when i want a keyboard but not my laptop for whatever reason. It is good.

Why would a tablet be better than a cheap notebook?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Delthalaz posted:

Why would a tablet be better than a cheap notebook?

For the use of browsing web/email/movies on plane the weight and form factor lend itself considerably better to it imo. Its also a good e-reader which would be decently convenient in that sort of situation as well. Good battery life, durability. Also theyre comically cheap.

Practically disposable theyre so cheap, imo. I actually have the x205 that was mentioned earlier as well. It is solid and good but the annoyingness of carrying its proprietary charger around cant be understated. My other recommendation would be something that charges off of USB-C, which at a cheap price point basically means chromebook, which afaik is basically Not Great for watching movies that are stored on it afaik. Love to be wrong on that tho!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Rexxed posted:

The OP suggests the Stream 11 so I'd shoot for the most up to date one of those as possible with as much ram and storage as you can get without getting fleeced. Also the Asus X205 is mentioned there, although I'm not sure if it's still regarded as highly. It looks like with the Stream 11 the 32GB of storage models are $160-180 depending on seller and color, the 64GB is a little more expensive, but for windows 10 you really want 64GB of storage if you can get it. I've had my mini pc get failed updates and had to reinstall with only 32GB.

I'm going to tentatively suggest this one, bearing in mind that I have not used it before. It seems to fit your goals but perhaps another poster will have a better suggestion or more advice:
https://smile.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Pro-11-6-Netbook/dp/B077J58D17/

Thanks- I'm seriously considering that one.

What do you think of this?

https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-E203NA-YS03-Featherweight-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B07B2GRSTJ/

I can't figure out what the real difference is between them tbh

Statutory Ape posted:

For the use of browsing web/email/movies on plane the weight and form factor lend itself considerably better to it imo. Its also a good e-reader which would be decently convenient in that sort of situation as well. Good battery life, durability. Also theyre comically cheap.

Practically disposable theyre so cheap, imo. I actually have the x205 that was mentioned earlier as well. It is solid and good but the annoyingness of carrying its proprietary charger around cant be understated. My other recommendation would be something that charges off of USB-C, which at a cheap price point basically means chromebook, which afaik is basically Not Great for watching movies that are stored on it afaik. Love to be wrong on that tho!

I guess I'm hesitant to go for a tablet because I'm needing the productivity functions of a laptop too - keyboard, excel and word. I suppose the google chromebook has all of those with google drive and google apps, which I use, but I also use onedrive and word and poo poo on my main computer, so a cheapo windows 10 machine has appeal for me there as well.

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 16, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Delthalaz posted:

Thanks- I'm seriously considering that one.

What do you think of this?

https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-E203NA-YS03-Featherweight-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B07B2GRSTJ/

I can't figure out what the real difference is between them tbh

I guess I'm hesitant to go for a tablet because I'm needing the productivity functions of a laptop too - keyboard, excel and word. I suppose the google chromebook has all of those with google drive and google apps, which I use, but I also use onedrive and word and poo poo on my main computer, so a cheapo windows 10 machine has appeal for me there as well.

that laptop you linked is basically an x205 with 2x the ram and storage - i would still use my x205 for certain things if it had 4g ram

also fwiw i was making the tablet recommendation based on

quote:

Cheaperer is betterer as long as it can do basic poo poo like web and email etc and maybe watch movies on the airplane?

:shrug:

I agree its a bad suggestion when you consider the productivity requirement

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Statutory Ape posted:

that laptop you linked is basically an x205 with 2x the ram and storage - i would still use my x205 for certain things if it had 4g ram

also fwiw i was making the tablet recommendation based on

:shrug:

I agree its a bad suggestion when you consider the productivity requirement

Ahh yeah I should have clarified I want basic functions like that in my initial post. So I guess at this point I'm torn between the ASUS VivoBook E203NA-YS03 and the HP Stream 11 Pro G4 11.6".

I noted that the HP Steam 11 got a better review from Laptop Mag: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/hp-stream-11
than the ASUS VivoBook: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-vivobook-e203na

Not sure I understand the reason for the ratings. It sounds like he trashed the VivoBook because he doesn't like the webcam.

Unless someone has a better suggestion for a cheapo tiny laptop in this range...

E: thanks for the help folks! I made my purchase. I'll let you know how it goes...

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 16, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
What's this thread's opinion on the Surface laptop? I adore the way it looks, and am considering just springing for the $800 boring gray edition because I don't need an insane amount of oomph, and that gorgeous blue model is not worth an extra $400. I might get it for Black Friday but am also happy to explore other options.

This device is specifically for my freelance work (technical and professional writer) so it has to be Windows. Otherwise my Acer r11 would have sufficed, god I love that thing. But I need something that can run full office + really any writing or image editing software I might need to get poo poo done for clients. Mostly just full office though, tbh Google docs suffices for 85 percent of my needs. It's that 15 percent that is making me go, oh gently caress it I should have a full blown OS since I make money through this poo poo.

I do want a touch screen, 12.5 to 14 inches, as gorgeous of a display as I can get, awesome battery life, and an enjoyable typing experience. I guess I'd also be dumb to not get an SSD plus minimum 8 gigs of RAM while I'm spending the money.

Oh yeah gaming is a non issue. I have a Switch (tm) for that nonsense

Budget is $600 to $1200, the lower the better! Any generic boring laptops I should look at first before getting the slick and potentially overpriced surface laptop? I do like the 3:2 aspect ratio on it...

I hear the Alcatraz keyboard or whatever it's called isn't the most durable since it's a fuzzy type of leather cloth but I can live with that.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 16, 2018

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Automatonic Water posted:

Is buying a laptop even worth it anymore? It seems like I'm buying a laptop every 3 years or so, looking for the sturdiest components, best build quality, specs that will remain relevant, etc. and yet they inevitably go to poo poo as soon as the warranty expires, either by the entire case falling apart or the internal components setting themselves on fire.

I believe these two bits are related. If you try to cram the fastest components into a laptop you will either end up with something you don't want on your lap because it's heavy thanks to the insane cooling system, or that you don't want on your lap because it fries all your baby batter.

I've split up my computing into various little devices and it still costs less than a proper gaming laptop. One console, one laptop with a decent processor for work, one tablet for reading and Netflix, and one desktop for everything else with two monitors.

If I'm working it is very simple to git commit and go over to the desktop and continue working. If I'm gaming that can be done on the Xbox, or on the desktop. If I'm reading an article its simple enough to go from the desktop to the couch with the tablet.

All of that also means that if something goes wrong the damage is not as much as it would be for a huge expensive laptop.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KingSlime posted:

What's this thread's opinion on the Surface laptop? I adore the way it looks, and am considering just springing for the $800 boring gray edition because I don't need an insane amount of oomph, and that gorgeous blue model is not worth an extra $400. I might get it for Black Friday but am also happy to explore other options.

This device is specifically for my freelance work (technical and professional writer) so it has to be Windows. Otherwise my Acer r11 would have sufficed, god I love that thing. But I need something that can run full office + really any writing or image editing software I might need to get poo poo done for clients. Mostly just full office though, tbh Google docs suffices for 85 percent of my needs. It's that 15 percent that is making me go, oh gently caress it I should have a full blown OS since I make money through this poo poo.

I do want a touch screen, 12.5 to 14 inches, as gorgeous of a display as I can get, awesome battery life, and an enjoyable typing experience. I guess I'd also be dumb to not get an SSD plus minimum 8 gigs of RAM while I'm spending the money.

Budget is $600 to $1200, the lower the better! Any generic boring laptops I should look at first before getting the slick and potentially overpriced surface laptop? I do like the 3:2 aspect ratio on it...

I hear the Alcatraz keyboard or whatever it's called isn't the most durable since it's a fuzzy type of leather cloth but I can live with that.

Its a really nice laptop imo. If MS didn't have constant glitchy hardware issues I would say go for it. Maybe by now they have figured that stuff out though. The Surface Laptop doesnt have the alcantara type keyboard, its more like a better macbook pro keyboard.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KingSlime posted:

The OP has some good options but at least for windows the Dell XPS 13 is a pretty popular choice.

Dell Outlet has some good sales for people on a budget and other companies listed in the OP also have similar refurb/outlet models.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The Dell XPS 13 would have been perfect, if not for the lack of touchscreen on the 1080p model :argh:!!!

I can't justify the 4k upgrade and higher tier cost on such a small screen. And it costs battery life to boot! Really, any device that runs for over $800 should have a touch screen by default these days imo

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 16, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

KingSlime posted:

As far as I know, it's not a bad device, it's just distinctly mediocre given the price. Probably zero serviceability given its a Surface, you're either going to be happy with it or regretting it without much middle ground. As I recall it comes preloaded with Windows 10 S edition which is locked to Store apps until you go through an unlock process.

Pretty much any 13" ultralight should be able to cover your needs so it's mostly deciding which one has the feature set you want. Probably the only unique thing about the Surface Laptop is the screen aspect ratio which is admittedly nice for productivity work, though if you plan on killing time with a light game while waiting in the airport or something most games will freak and can't handle it well based on my experience with the SP3.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The surface devices are notoriously difficult if not impossible to repair or upgrade due to being glued together.

If that does not matter to you then they're probably fine

Also it's 2018 and not all of their devices use USB-C, so if you have one of those devices you're going to feel like you're living in the dark ages in about a year

If you haven't bought any new devices in the last few years USB-C probably won't matter much to you though

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah I guess those are too many downsides for what will realistically end up running me $1k.

What about the Yoga line? Looks like their battery isn't strictly stellar (6 hours-ish), and the brightness is supposedly a bit weak. Other than that, I like the design and footprint of the 12.5 inch model, have always enjoyed thinkpad style keyboards. and love the pricing ($600-800). On paper it hits all my needs fine.

Why are the ones in the OP scratched out? That section seems to suggest surface devices instead of a Yoga

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

KingSlime posted:

The Dell XPS 13 would have been perfect, if not for the lack of touchscreen on the 1080p model :argh:!!!

I can't justify the 4k upgrade and higher tier cost on such a small screen. And it costs battery life to boot! Really, any device that runs for over $800 should have a touch screen by default these days imo

Otoh the qhd+/4k screens they put on those are outstanding

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah the high end white xps13 is still on the table..it's such a large splurge that I don't need! I could prolly swing it though...

So I guess I'll narrow it down to either a Yoga or that pimpin' white xps 13. Oh poo poo, I could probably write some it off on my taxes too :allears:...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

KingSlime posted:

Ah I guess those are too many downsides for what will realistically end up running me $1k.

What about the Yoga line? Looks like their battery isn't strictly stellar (6 hours-ish), and the brightness is supposedly a bit weak. Other than that, I like the design and footprint of the 12.5 inch model, have always enjoyed thinkpad style keyboards. and love the pricing ($600-800). On paper it hits all my needs fine.

Why are the ones in the OP scratched out? That section seems to suggest surface devices instead of a Yoga

I have a Yoga 910. It would be my favorite ultrabook except for the keyboard layout and lack of pen support, both of which they fixed for the 920. I would recommend that machine unreservedly.

The 700 series is usually a pretty good machine at a pretty good price, but I really like my 910 (now that I've swapped keycaps around and hacked the registry to fix the keyboard. why you gotta do this lenovo)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Yoga line has been pretty good since it launched in ~2011

Lenovo often has some good deals on their outlet site, my buddy picked up a thinkpad yoga for a reasonable price

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

KingSlime posted:

Yeah the high end white xps13 is still on the table..it's such a large splurge that I don't need! I could prolly swing it though...

So I guess I'll narrow it down to either a Yoga or that pimpin' white xps 13. Oh poo poo, I could probably write some it off on my taxes too :allears:...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-1...3:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Going on a trip in the next month or so and it strikes me that having a laptop with me would probably be handy.

On a budget of about £800-£1000, I don't imagine I'll be playing massively intensive games on it but 2d steam titles/WoW seem relatively likely.

SSD is basically absolutely mandatory, but I can cope with lower storage or whatever else, I think I'd skew to portability over performance in most cases.

Beyond that I'd probably ideally like it to be able to record video relatively well if possible, encoding or editing won't matter.

I'd usually just use the list from the OP but since prices are super weird in the UK I'm worried I'll miss something. (Most laptops I checked from the OP were more expensive on a currency to currency basis even before accounting for pounds being stronger.)

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I plan on eventually getting something fairly beefy like an X1 Extreme to be my main workhorse laptop.

however I would like, ideally, a complementary 2-in-1 that I can draw and take notes on with a pen, or maybe bring by itself if I'm packing lighter.

main things I'm looking for:
* runs windows
* good for drawing/notetaking with a stylus
* type c chargeable
* $500 or less

Basically, getting an old surface pro 3 would be perfect if it was type c chargeable, but it's not. Anyone have recommendations?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So I've had my laptop for a while now. While it's a huge brick I hardly ever use outside of my own home, it occurred to me that owning a second charger might not be the pinnacle of decadence and sloth that would guarantee me a spot in hell. Y'know, just something to plop in the second most used parking spot so I don't have to lug the charger with me each time I move about the house.

Anything I should know about buying chargers so I'm not going in blind? It's a dell inspiron 7577, so I'm worried about picking one that will underperform for its needs. But at the same time I wouldn't mind one that's a little more portable than the one it was packaged with. The sticker says it runs at 180w.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Going on a trip in the next month or so and it strikes me that having a laptop with me would probably be handy.

On a budget of about £800-£1000, I don't imagine I'll be playing massively intensive games on it but 2d steam titles/WoW seem relatively likely.

SSD is basically absolutely mandatory, but I can cope with lower storage or whatever else, I think I'd skew to portability over performance in most cases.

Beyond that I'd probably ideally like it to be able to record video relatively well if possible, encoding or editing won't matter.

I'd usually just use the list from the OP but since prices are super weird in the UK I'm worried I'll miss something. (Most laptops I checked from the OP were more expensive on a currency to currency basis even before accounting for pounds being stronger.)

I agree absolutely with the SSD requirement, but the worst-case scenario is that you buy a laptop with an HDD and just install your own SSD. I can't give you laptop recommendations in the UK but look for a decent price on a system with a 1050 (base or Ti) or MX150; those should easily run the games you listed.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So I've had my laptop for a while now. While it's a huge brick I hardly ever use outside of my own home, it occurred to me that owning a second charger might not be the pinnacle of decadence and sloth that would guarantee me a spot in hell. Y'know, just something to plop in the second most used parking spot so I don't have to lug the charger with me each time I move about the house.

Anything I should know about buying chargers so I'm not going in blind? It's a dell inspiron 7577, so I'm worried about picking one that will underperform for its needs. But at the same time I wouldn't mind one that's a little more portable than the one it was packaged with. The sticker says it runs at 180w.

I think it'll be more difficult to find a high-power laptop PSU like that, either an aftermarket one or an affordable OEM one, but you have to look for a few things: the connector size/shape & its polarity (i.e. if it's a barrel plug the size/diameters obviously need to match but then the +/- terminals must also be the same,) and the electrical output (the voltage must be in the specified range, and then power is the product of voltage and current.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unless you are playing games or compiling Firefox from source it's unlikely you will use more than 40-60w during a normal day.

My XPS 15 comes with a... 120w charger? I have it plugged in to a 100w Thunderbolt 3 docking station and play Battlefield on it no problem. At night it charges from an old spare 15w USB-C PD (Nexus 5x? Pixel 1?) charger.

Your new laptop will likely have USB-C with PD (power delivery). For serious extended work use the real charger. For couch use just get an 18w cell phone charger and a quality 6' USB-C cable from Anker.

I carry an aukey 18w folding wall wart USB-C pd adapter for both phone and laptop, works great. Was $8 on sale, currently $21... Part number aukey pa-y18. Don't need to spend a lot of money for a fancy big adapter when you can use the standard port. 60 and 80w USB-C pd adapters exist too but cost more.

Only buy USB-C devices and accessories from major name brands like Dell, Lenovo, Google, Apple, Aukey, Anker etc

Hadlock posted:

There's always going to be a non zero chance that someone has baked in a backdoor to your device. Cisco has been doing a years long audit and finding tons of them in their own products, they announce new backdoors every 6 months or so.

Intel's super cool vpro technology, that lets you bypass the bios for remotely administering stuff for IT departments of very large orgs, has been shown to have backdoors.

There's probably three or four chips on the motherboard of the device you're reading this on right now that are at least as capable as an Arduino, capable of running all kinds of sleeper code.

Then there's more benign stuff like installing questionable trusted root ca certs, pseudo spyware and man in the middle attack advertising stuff. Which Lenovo did, it was a big deal but there's been so many scandals since then I can't even remember what it was called now.

TL;DR assume any highly integrated device (laptop, cellphone, tablet, etc) you own is at least partially compromised.

The least compromised devices are going to come directly from Apple, then Google, then maybe (?) Amazon who actually have people on staff and budgets large enough to do an effective security audit.

Also you should probably go out and buy one of those U2F / FIDO security keys, they work with stuff like Facebook, Gmail etc and the cheaper ones are under $10 on Amazon these days. They exist to prevent people from logging in to your account even if/when your password gets compromised.

Apparently the Pixel 3 has a built in U2F chip

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2018/10/building-titan-better-security-through.html?m=1

Google, PayPal and others are working on FIDO 2 which will be called Web Authentication and/or Webauthn. I expect to see this in a bunch of phones in 2-3 years especially once FIDO 2 gets ratified and all the banks and PayPal start adopting it.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 17, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Atomizer posted:

I agree absolutely with the SSD requirement, but the worst-case scenario is that you buy a laptop with an HDD and just install your own SSD. I can't give you laptop recommendations in the UK but look for a decent price on a system with a 1050 (base or Ti) or MX150; those should easily run the games you listed.

Hrm basically everything I can find runs around 15'' which is probably larger than I want.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Hrm basically everything I can find runs around 15'' which is probably larger than I want.

The Acer Swift is an example of a fairly compact 14" laptop with the MX150 (1030 equivalent) but that's a US link first of all, second, you're unlikely to find anything with a dGPU smaller than that, and finally I don't think there's anything that small with a faster (i.e. 1050+) dGPU. The Dell XPS15 has a dGPU but is still 15", the Surface Book IIRC has a dGPU keyboard base dock thing but the Surface line has its own downsides (namely, expense and repairability,) and the Gigabyte Aero line is pretty compact as far as gaming laptops go but they're more expensive.

I think you could get by with an iGPU (the 2D games will probably be fine, and you could lower the settings on WoW to get it reasonably playable,) so your options are like the Intel HD620 or similar, or the AMD 2200U or better (note that the Ryzen mobile APUs aren't nearly as performant as the desktop ones are, like the 2200G.) Maybe look for some models readily available for you that fall within your budget and size requirements, and list them here for our analysis?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I'm also in the market for a new laptop. I got my x250 3.5 years ago but I'm not as satisfied with the build quality as I was with the x120e I had before it. The keyboard layout feels more cramped and the screen isn't good (not to mention that it feels like the sides are separating from the actual screen. Recently it seems to have developed a very slight bulge too.

The main issue is that I'm an American living in Hong Kong. I'll be going home to the US for Christmas so I was thinking about getting a new laptop then, but I'll only be there two weeks. But the prices are so much cheaper at home. I guess my question is two-fold:
1) What is a good recommended computer? I guess I'll give myself a budget of $1000US but it'll be a bit flexible (and hopefully cheaper). I'd like something small, and I don't do much gaming. Mainly lots of word processing and using the Adobe family of software, watching videos, etc. I would like a good battery life as well. I like the small Lenovos and I know my experience with the x250 is probably not common, but it wasn't as impressive as I was hoping for, and now I want to get a laptop with a screen that looks nice. I'm leaning towards the xps13 because it looks really nice, though I'll miss the nipple and VGA port on my Lenovo. I like the look of the xps15 too but just from the thread it seems like they have more issues? That leads to my next question...
2) The price savings of buying a laptop in the US are huge (almost 50% more expensive in HK for the same models) and I could probably order one during Black Friday/Cyber Monday to be sent to an address in the US so it'll be waiting for me when I get there. Does anyone know how the warranties work in this case though? If I buy one in the US and use it here mostly, would the warranty still cover it if something goes wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Pretty sure the graphics in my 2014 X1 Carbon have died since it'll boot and I can log in using the fingerprint reader, but the screen does nothing and it won't output to an external monitor. So, in the market for a replacement.

Historically I've always gotten Thinkpads since my first T40 because I valued the reliability, but even before this one randomly died it was having screen issues with light bleeding a bit from one of the corners 1 year in and a pixel in the middle that was off starting a few months ago.

So I'm looking for something that'll have good reliability ideally. It'll be my primary machine. Will be used primarily for productivity stuff, but also some light gaming (have a console as my primary gaming platform) watching video and running statistics in SAS. For reference, I was originally planning on sticking with the old laptop at least for another year since I had no issues with usability for my usual stuff, unless I was trying to run some complex statistics on a large dataset. It also needs to be reasonably portable, easy to get out and use on flights/in the car. Have monitors/keyboards when at home that I'd plan to pair it with, so probably would plan on a dock. Would like to spend $1200 or less, but could go beyond if it really made a difference.

Options I'm considering are:
- 9370 XPS 13
- Thinkpad X1 Yoga or Carbon (feeling a little burned but still like the package, note taking with the pen is intriguing but probably not practical in meetings)
- Thinkpad T480s
- Lenovo Yoga 920 (like the concept of convertibles for travel)

Also considering a set up where I get an XPS 15 and a yoga tab 3 plus or something similar, since the size doesn't seem as large as I thought notebooks in that class typically were, and it'd give me an excuse to get back into PC gaming.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Natural 20 posted:

Yea once you get below 15.6 you're looking at laptops with an MX150. The Acer Swift mentioned is a good one and there's also an ASUS Zenbook with the MX150, the Dell 7472, the HP Envy, and quite a few other options.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
You can get the Alienware 13 with a GTX 1060, you're just stuck with a 7th gen CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

alienware 13 is almost 50% heavier than an xps 15

dimensions comparison:

XPS 15:
Height: 0.45-0.66 inches (11-17mm) Width: 14.06 inches (357mm) Depth: 9.27 inches (235mm), 4lbs (1.8kg) with 56WHr 4.5lbs (2.0kg) with 97WHr

Alienware 13:

Height Touch: 22 mm (0.87 in)
Non-touch: 24 mm (0.95 in)
Width 330 mm (13 in)
Depth 269 mm (10.60 in)
Weight 2.63 kg (5.80 lb)