Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vinegar Syndrome just announced on their site that one of the November blus is going to be Cutting Class.

quote:

Important note: The flash preorder for ‘The Killer Covers of Cutting Class’ package will be available the weekend of October 19-21 (EST). During this flash preorder event, you will also be able to preorder our two secret Black Friday limited edition horror releases (just like last year). Current yearly/halfway subscribers will get the complete ‘Killer Covers’ package, of course.

We are finally ready to announce what is probably our best kept secret in some time; that we’ve completed a new 4k restoration of Rospo Pallenberg’s star studded 1988 slasher, CUTTING CLASS, and will be issuing its 30th anniversary Blu-ray debut on Black Friday. What’s more is that, unlike the old DVD which purported to be ‘unrated,’ but was in fact the much tamer MPAA ‘R’ version, our Blu is totally uncut.

To further commemorate the excitement of being able to watch sleaze-era Brad Pitt in HD, we’ve asked five of our favorite artists (Jay Shaw, Earl Kessler Jr., Derek Gabryszak, Chris Garofalo and Cody Brown) to each design a slipcover based upon their favorite kill in the film. Hence the ‘Killer Covers of CUTTING CLASS’ package.

As we did last year, we’ll be having a flash preorder (here) for the CUTTING CLASS slipcover package as well as our two Black Friday limited edition surprise horror Blu-rays. During the flash preorder event, you’ll have the ability to order ‘The Killer Covers of CUTTING CLASS’ package with or without the two surprise horror releases. The stress-free flash preorder will take place over the weekend of October 19th-21st.

The ‘Killer Covers’ package will only be available during our flash preorder event: October 19th-21st. Individual slipcovers will be available for purchase during our Black Friday sale (complicated, huh?).

It’s worth mentioning that any CUTTING CLASS slips left over after our Black Friday sale will be shredded (if there are any left to shred); this is a 100% Black Friday sale exclusive and no slipcover editions will be sold at conventions or by any other retailer.

Also, to be completely clear, the ‘Killer Covers of CUTTING CLASS’ package consists of:
(1) Blu-ray and (5) Slipcovers

Check back HERE October 19th-21st EST to place your preorder.

Earl Kessler Jr. = ‘axe to the head’ cover
Derek Gabryszak = ‘copy death machine‘ cover
Jay Shaw = ‘trampoline of death’ cover
Chris Garofalo = ‘killer kiln’ cover
Cody Brown = ‘bleacher death’ cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Vinegar Syndrome just announced on their site that one of the November blus is going to be Cutting Class.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
And the two non mystery blus are sudden Fury and Beware My Bretheren

quote:

Also in November...

We continue our international excursions with two forgotten gems of 70's cinema. First, Brian Damude's masterful Toronto shot Hitchcockian thriller (and some would say Coen Brothers influencing) thriller, SUDDEN FURY, in its Blu-ray and disc in general debut, newly restored from its original camera negative!

Then, from the crazed mind behind Corruption (the Cushing one), comes Brian Hartford Davis'assault on Christian fundamentalism meets proto-slasher, BEWARE MY BRETHREN, a post-mod suspenser sure to scare you away from your church going relatives. What's more is that while previous editions of BRETHREN have been the heavily cut UK cinema version, our new camera negative sourced Blu is the fully uncut International edit.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Thanks to this thread, I ended up grabbing The Crazies, Maniac Cop, Frankenhooker, Dead End Drive In, Bride of Re-Animator and Contamination from the Arrow sale. This is going to lead to me buying a region-free player and some difficult revamping of our household budgeting.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Anyone know if the 4K release of The Big Lebowski is any good?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

AdmiralViscen posted:

Anyone know if the 4K release of The Big Lebowski is any good?

No reviews up yet. Hopefully tomorrow, but probably not until Monday.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Comparison of the Shout! and Indicator releases of The Tingler. Shout! used Sony's existing 2K master, which features the color insert scene blown up from 16mm in decidedly bad quality. Indicator had a rare British print scanned in 4K to fill in for that sequence on their edition and...
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=12449&d2=12448&s1=123590&s2=123596&i=6&l=0

(The rest of the film looks exactly the same)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Holy poo poo, my Shout order came already. I’m watching Carrie tonight!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Speaking of Shout, my Creepshow disc came today. The whole package here is some criterion level poo poo. Super impressive.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Holy gently caress, Arrow is doing an extended edition release of Waterworld this December, I cannot loving believe it. An extended cut of Waterworld has been at the top of my “video release wish list” for ages, along with an extended edition of Event Horizon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Holy gently caress, Arrow is doing an extended edition release of Waterworld this December, I cannot loving believe it. An extended cut of Waterworld has been at the top of my “video release wish list” for ages, along with an extended edition of Event Horizon.
The latter is supposedly never happening because the footage is just plain gone. It could always turn up but who knows? I want somebody to release the original cut of The Thirteenth Warrior.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Xenomrph posted:

:lol: awesome

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I'm a simple man, all I want is the Extended Cut of Margaret to get a blu-ray release. Can't believe that's DVD only, in a pack with a blu-ray of the abridged version.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Xenomrph posted:

Is there a bunch of really crazy poo poo cut from Waterworld because of studio interference/bad test screenings or are they just cramming in a bunch of deleted scenes?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

Is there a bunch of really crazy poo poo cut from Waterworld because of studio interference/bad test screenings or are they just cramming in a bunch of deleted scenes?

From what I could dredge up, it improves it. It’s 40 extra minutes of character development and dialogue. The extended cut has been available on DVD, but as the censored tv edit. This new version from Arrow says its including a fan edit that uses the extra content but cuts in the uncensored footage. Here’s a good video I found that talks about the movie and the edit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcAvCwPH3KM

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Waterworld is good as hell gently caress all the haters

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
They actually built all that poo poo

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Chucky: Complete 7-Movie Collection is back down to $24.99 on Amazon. I went ahead and snagged it. They're not all great movies but for the price it's hard to resist.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073H5D441/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They are actually pretty great. There isn’t a bad film in the whole lot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

They are actually pretty great. There isn’t a bad film in the whole lot.

If I bought that set I'd watch everything in there several times over with the exception of Child's Play 3, which I'd happily skip over every single time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheScott2K posted:

It really is. The practical effects, props, sets, and costumes are fantastic, the soundtrack rules, Dennis Hopper is fantastic, and the whole thing is basically Mad Max On Water. I’m super stoked to have an extended cut on Blu.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
BTW, ended up dropping 200 bucks on Scream Factory sale, thank you whoever posted that. You are a horrible monster.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I should finally get a good copy of Child's Play. Pretty sure the one in my DVD set was non-anamorphic.

e: Not that I'd really like to rewatch a DVD anyway.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 15, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

If I bought that set I'd watch everything in there several times over with the exception of Child's Play 3, which I'd happily skip over every single time.

It’s the least good but it’s not horrible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the least good but it’s not horrible.

nah, Child's Play 3 is really bad. there's a reason why Bride pretty much pretends it didn't happen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

I should finally get a good copy of Child's Play. Pretty sure the one in my DVD set was non-anamorphic.

e: Not that I'd really like to rewatch a DVD anyway.

It's one of those rare blu rays these days that's actually not tough to find just sitting around on store shelves, you have a pretty good shot at Best Buy or Walmart. Especially this time of year.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

nah, Child's Play 3 is really bad. there's a reason why Bride pretty much pretends it didn't happen.

Thought it didn't since Chucky sewed together appearance is after his encounter with the fan at the end of 3?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rirse posted:

Thought it didn't since Chucky sewed together appearance is after his encounter with the fan at the end of 3?

they never explicitly say, iirc. both the end of 2 and the end of 3 basically completely obliterate Chucky, so it could pretty much work going from either, and it doesn't contain any other references to 3.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Waterworld was one of those movies that got unfairly bashed at the time and largely by people who didn't even see it, just because the bashing became fashionable. Cable Guy also suffered from this. In both cases we're far enough away from that dumb bullshit to have an honest conversation about the movie on it's own merits outside of the era's pop culture. And in both cases I find that the majority of people now speak favorably of these movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I’ll never watch it again but I will defend it because it fits my narrative that the child’s play franchise is the best. 3 is mediocre but it never hits the low low lows as Friday part 8-9, ANOES 5-6, Halloween 5-the rest of the series(maybe barring H20, need a rewatch), or the most trash garbage worthless franchise, Hellrasier after Hellbound.

Give me childs play3 any day over those.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll never watch it again but I will defend it because it fits my narrative that the child’s play franchise is the best. 3 is mediocre but it never hits the low low lows as Friday part 8-9, ANOES 5-6, Halloween 5-the rest of the series(maybe barring H20, need a rewatch), or the most trash garbage worthless franchise, Hellrasier after Hellbound.

i can definitely agree with that, yeah. the fact that the worst movie in the CP series is just pretty mediocre and not, like, an abomination puts it at the top imo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

But franchise horror is largely a garbage dump anyway. The only worthwhile Child's Play movie is the first one and even then it's just pretty okay. The original premise they had in mind would have been way more interesting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll take an abomination over a complete snoozer like Child's Play 3. Stuff like Jason Takes Manhattan or Hellraiser 3 are at least dumb fun, the things that are bad about them will at least not put you to sleep like the extended stretches of nothing in Child's Play 3.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

The only worthwhile Child's Play movie is the first one and even then it's just pretty okay.

2, Bride, Curse, and Cult are all better than the original

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I forgot about the Scream Factory sale.

Is John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness worth a $16 blind buy? So far, I have the They Live steelbook and Vincent Price Vol. 2 in my cart.

On the fence about Carrie and Dead Ringers.

I will say that everyone needs to buy Phantom of the Paradise and Army of Darkness since they're fantastic.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

I forgot about the Scream Factory sale.

Is John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness worth a $16 blind buy? So far, I have the They Live steelbook and Vincent Price Vol. 2 in my cart.

On the fence about Carrie and Dead Ringers.

I will say that everyone needs to buy Phantom of the Paradise and Army of Darkness since they're fantastic.

Prince of Darkness is totally worth it, even at full price.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

Whoa now, ANOES 4-6 are solid (if dumb) horror sequels. I’d even say they’re more entertaining than the consistently-praised but secretly boring New Nightmare.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loathe 5-6 of the nightmare movies. 5 is so slow and dull, 6 is just annoying. I hate the way Freddy looks in both too. Super cheap.

Anoes 4 is amazing and the most gonzo fun of the series. (I didn’t say best, don’t @ me.)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Milestone is releasing The Adventures of Prince Achmed on Nov. 13.

New restoration plus an hour-long documentary on director Lotte Reiniger plus an extra 12 short films by her from 1921-1974.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

I loathe 5-6 of the nightmare movies. 5 is so slow and dull, 6 is just annoying. I hate the way Freddy looks in both too. Super cheap.

Anoes 4 is amazing and the most gonzo fun of the series. (I didn’t say best, don’t @ me.)

This is partly my bad, I mixed up the numbering. What I meant to say was that 3-5 are dumb, fun, solid sequels.

I’ve never even seen 6 :doh: