Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

pile of brown posted:

Health Dept. Reports are public knowledge so you don't exactly need a self maintained spreadsheet

well yes but by having the state health departments reports autopopulate my database and cross-reference the USDA action and inspection announcements and CDC outbreak reports I get all the info in one place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's these guys http://www.handsomebrookfarm.com/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Generally, in most food/drug areas, the larger the company, the more likely it is to actually follow the law. There are massive, well-known exceptions to this, but the point is these exceptions are well-known; like 98% of violations occur with small-time operations that view safety regulations as an imposition by The Man. Handsome Brook is huge- they're a conglomerate of organic farm properties selling to the mothership, a couple who came up with a unified supply chain license approach that works well in their market. As far as a cursory examination of federal records indicates, they have no history of contamination issues, but I can't tell if their processing facilities are inspected by USDA or if they evade it by distributing entirely within NY, whose inspection records I can't access. No reports of outbreaks tied to their eggs, in any case.

Handsome Brook messaging combines legit animal welfare and environmental claims with some fairly spurious stuff like anti-GMO assertions, but this isn't really relevant to product safety. You should be aware, though, that they have a checkered history regarding their labeling claims. It's complicated, but when they were scaling up, they met demand by buying eggs from other sources. Some of these eggs met only part of the organic/free range/etc claims they made, and they got sued like 5 ways over it. That's not a great sign for the company's honesty, or a positive sign for whether they'd comply with safety regs.
https://www.cornucopia.org/2016/08/oca-sues-handsome-brook-farm-pasture-raised-claims/
https://www.cornucopia.org/scorecard/eggs/handsome-brook-farm/
(some other coverage downplays the lawsuits and states they weren't legit, but this was basically PR work by Handsome Brook).

In any case, eating raw eggs is against USDA regs, and there are broader reasons not to do it involving the spread of drug-resistant pathogens, but the likelihood of getting sick from eating raw eggs from this source seems no higher than any other source.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 15, 2018

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Raw eggs are good, and if I die from having a prairie oyster, it will be in the name of a good cause.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Scientastic posted:

Raw eggs are good, and if I die from having a prairie oyster, it will be in the name of a good cause.

isnt prarie oysters bull testicles

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

nah that's Rocky Mountain Oysters

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Discendo Vox posted:

egg nerd poo poo
Thanks man, that's everything I was asking for and more. It is a bit worrisome abut the lawsuits but I'm certain that these are by far way better treated than caged to free range eggs. I still can't believe caged eggs make up something like 90% of America's eggs. Poor birds.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

isnt prarie oysters bull testicles

It can be but there's another meaning. It's also a cocktail with a raw egg, worcestershire, tabasco and a bit of salt and pepper. They're pretty good but I don't like raw egg whites much so I omit that part if I ever have one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Croatoan posted:

egg nerd poo poo

My pleasure. You have no idea the inside beltway crap I've got. scandals at the Egg Board, dueling cert groups, the Mayonnaise Wars....

Anyway, my professional advice on this subject is on the record.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

My pleasure. You have no idea the inside beltway crap I've got. scandals at the Egg Board, dueling cert groups, the Mayonnaise Wars....

Anyway, my professional advice on this subject is on the record.

Every time you post I get the compulsion to go have raw oysters and crack a raw egg over whatever I'm eating.

Might be just giving me flashbacks to an in-law who works for the USDA, and still visibly struggles to not force her grown daughter to order well done burgers only, and once criticized a nearby family for letting their (teenish) son order a medium steak.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

I still can't believe caged eggs make up something like 90% of America's eggs. Poor birds.

Farmers markets have a rep for being bougie expensive, but eggs are $5/doz, the hens are happy, and they taste better than the $6.50 :airquote: pasture :airquote: eggs from Publix.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

BrianBoitano posted:

Farmers markets have a rep for being bougie expensive, but eggs are $5/doz, the hens are happy, and they taste better than the $6.50 :airquote: pasture :airquote: eggs from Publix.

Only $5 for a dozen eggs? What a deal!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Croatoan posted:

It can be but there's another meaning. It's also a cocktail with a raw egg, worcestershire, tabasco and a bit of salt and pepper. They're pretty good but I don't like raw egg whites much so I omit that part if I ever have one.

I always thought you were only supposed to use the yolk.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Like so:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

we all gonna die someday, just eat what you like

*chokes down chicken sashimi with a side of steak tartare and tamago kake gohan*

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Right? Like I'm down with a salt and seasoning blast comforted with egg yolk but raw egg white is boring and kinda gross egg snot.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

pplease cook the eggs

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Eat the eggs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Alas see thread title

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I made a salad dressing for a beet and celeriac salad I took to a party and used a raw egg yolk in it, just like the recipe said. I didn't even pasteurize the egg first. And I am not sorry.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Try 3x that around here.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Drink and Fight posted:

Try 3x that around here.

At that point, buy some hens!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The thing people don't realize about hens is they stop laying eggs at like age 3-5...and they live for 10 years. Or up to 20.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Anne Whateley posted:

The thing people don't realize about hens is they stop laying eggs at like age 3-5...and they live for 10 years. Or up to 20.

After 3-5 years the only living they should do is in the stewpot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Most people who get into backyard chickens without doing even that much research aren't likely to up and stewpot Henrietta, who still has a great quality of life but is just postmenopausal

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i'm curious how many backyarders have them last 5+ with raccoons and whatnot. I'd check PI but I don't think that's a good sample

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

i'm curious how many backyarders have them last 5+ with raccoons and whatnot. I'd check PI but I don't think that's a good sample

You do NOT want to ask about chickens in the Ask Me About Chickens thread.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

With raccoons, rats, hawks, and the galliform propensity for suicidal behavior, you have to really rig up a good safe shelter.

Most people fail at this. I did, several times. At 3am, the last thing you want is to follow screaming out into the snow, where you see your favorite hen headless and upright, spurting arterial blood like a Monty Python sketch.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

My first group of girls died between 2 and 3. One just randomly died, one has ascites and was put down, one got really bad fly strike and got put down, one got sick with something we never did figure out and got put down. (When I say put down I mean I snapped their necks and buried them. I use the axe handle method where you put a handle behind their skull and lift their bodies quickly and pull. It dislocates their skull and severs the spinal cord. I would then reverse the axe and whack their head off just to ensure it was done. Took around 5 seconds total)

The next batch were 2 years old when I moved and they went to live my friend on their organic hippy farm and then all got murdered by a weasel with the other 40 hens they had.

I will let you know how the next batch works out. I treat them as livestock. They aren't getting major vet treatment. They are getting put down.

But keeping them alive is a continual struggle to prevent them from killing themselves in unique and completely unforeseen ways.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 18, 2018

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Happy Hat posted:

It is cheaper to move Nike trainers than to move food, and the price of moving Nike trainers from China to the US is (per pair of shoes) less than the price you pay to VISA to clear the payment. (that has zero bearing on the argument, but it is an interesting factoid from one of the largest transport companies in the world).

Currently working with really large shipping companies and freight forwarders. It costs me the same to ship a 20' container with 20 metric tons of cargo from Asia to the USA (either coast) than it does to truck it from Los Angeles to Oakland. Suppose I add in the FDA, USDA, and Customs duty/exam costs to the mix. It's still cheaper to move it from Asia to the USA (either coast) than to get it on a train from Long Beach to Newark. And that's with nonperishable food products. Make that sucker a reefer, and all of a sudden, poo poo gets ugly. When you compare what I spend on shipping to what a company like Nike would spend on the same, it's staggering. I work for a small business, and I can still negotiate decent rates on shipping. To think of companies that move entire ship loads of cargo at a time? Man.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My boyfriend owns the shittiest knives.

TJ's Unexpectedly Mighty Cheddar

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

speaking of animal husbandry, my wife really wants alpacas. She has for a while now, but we visited an alpaca ranch while on vacation in Portland last week and talked the owner's ear off about raising pacas and now she's super excited about it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GrAviTy84 posted:

speaking of animal husbandry, my wife really wants alpacas. She has for a while now, but we visited an alpaca ranch while on vacation in Portland last week and talked the owner's ear off about raising pacas and now she's super excited about it.

Do they taste good?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That Works posted:

Do they taste good?

Their eggs do.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Alpacas are extremely cute and good, but please don't think they're an investment. That bubble (actually more of a pyramid scam tbh) popped years back. If you can afford to do it as a hobby (especially assuming she spins/knits?) and you have the land, then definitely get a couple, but whatever you do, don't think of it as a business proposition. They are pets or hobbies, not investments.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

Don’t you live in Corona?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Alpacas are extremely cute and good, but please don't think they're an investment. That bubble (actually more of a pyramid scam tbh) popped years back. If you can afford to do it as a hobby (especially assuming she spins/knits?) and you have the land, then definitely get a couple, but whatever you do, don't think of it as a business proposition. They are pets or hobbies, not investments.

Def spins/knits and yeah most definitely not an investment proposition.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Don’t you live in Corona?

Moreno Valley. We need to get the hell out of here, but we're trying to pay off some debt first. I need to reign in the "holy poo poo I make real money now" so I can have a better living/commute situation.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
In that case you should absolutely get some alpaca buddies and post pics nonstop so I can live vicariously through you. I like the gray ones best, tia

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

In that case you should absolutely get some alpaca buddies and post pics nonstop so I can live vicariously through you. I like the gray ones best, tia

Have some video footage of the ones we visited last week.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bow_w64Dy0j/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's the good poo poo, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GrAviTy84 posted:

I am buying alpacas for fun

GrAviTy84 posted:

I need to reign in the "holy poo poo I make real money now".

I'm sensing a degree of tension between these positions