Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I didn't think it was possible to dislike every character in a game but there it is. That was pretty obnoxious.

Curious to see where it's going, at least, but ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ratoslov posted:

I think Nagito wasn't required to put the collar and chain leash on, he just did it himself one day and all of the kids think someone else asked him to do it.

I'd believe either

A. Monaca told him to

B. When he came in saying he was SHSL Despair they were impressed, only for him to go on about hope or something, causing them to collar him.

LegionAreI posted:

I didn't think it was possible to dislike every character in a game but there it is. That was pretty obnoxious.

Curious to see where it's going, at least, but ugh.

I find most of the kids charming in their introductions.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
If I recall correctly, the kid's "Classes" (Hero/Sage/Priest/Fighter/Mage) is a reference to one of the Dragon Quest games. I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Those do match the job names from Dragon Quest III. On the other hand, they're also completely generic, so who knows?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Even if they aren't from a specific game, they are definitely supposed to be an RPG class analogue.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

ultrafilter posted:

Those do match the job names from Dragon Quest III. On the other hand, they're also completely generic, so who knows?

They're missing a few, but yes, these are your pretty standard Dragon Quest classes, and 3 was the first game to have them. Hero is the all-rounder leader, Priest is the healer, Mage is the offensive spellcaster, Fighter is the physical attacker, and Sage is kind of a mix of Priest and Mage. Since Dragon Quest is so popular in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors of Hope are just copying one of their favourite video games. They're children, after all.

Of course, the real elephant in the room here is that there are five of them. There's no such thing as a 5-person party! What were the writers thinking!? And you can't even get Sages until halfway through the game!

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Fitting that Monaco picked mage. The wizard is the most dangerous one. She even said she was more dangerous because she said that her talent is getting people to do things for her, which is extremely dangerous.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So we've got a bunch of kids who seem to have it in for all adults, to the extent that they'll distrust and/or kill anyone over 18(?). They all seem to have suffered some form of abuse or neglect from adults (Daimon seems a possible exception, but we know Leon hated baseball so it could be something like that). I think it's a possible theory, especially given the way this series tends to portray the motivation for evil. That does not bode well for Utsugi's backstory at this point.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

TheMcD posted:

As a side note, the music track that plays in these little extra scenes, "It's a Kids' World", is another one of my particular favorites. It's just so happy. It always puts me in an amusement park kind of mood.

Yeah, um..."happy" is certainly one way to describe it. I agree with you about it sounding like an amusement park, though. I just think we may differ as to where that amusement park actually is.

IT'S IN HELL

On a side note, Jataro's voice actor is so, so great here. And speaking of which, I volunteer to post voice actor information in this thread unless McD is planning on doing that himself.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Yeah, um..."happy" is certainly one way to describe it. I agree with you about it sounding like an amusement park, though. I just think we may differ as to where that amusement park actually is.

IT'S IN HELL

Hey, hell ain't a bad place to be. At least I hope so, given that we're in it right now.

SoundwaveAU posted:

On a side note, Jataro's voice actor is so, so great here. And speaking of which, I volunteer to post voice actor information in this thread unless McD is planning on doing that himself.

Go for it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kangra posted:

So we've got a bunch of kids who seem to have it in for all adults, to the extent that they'll distrust and/or kill anyone over 18(?). They all seem to have suffered some form of abuse or neglect from adults (Daimon seems a possible exception, but we know Leon hated baseball so it could be something like that). I think it's a possible theory, especially given the way this series tends to portray the motivation for evil. That does not bode well for Utsugi's backstory at this point.

Generally teenaged and up seems to be the age range. I don't think Komaru is older than 16, but I could be wrong.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Voice Actor Talk

Hello, I'm Soundwave and I'll be guiding you goons through the fine voice actors behind the English dub of Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls. The Danganronpa games have an excellent dub so I'm here to give you some information about the folks behind it. I'll give as much information as I can about the actor in question, and maybe chip in with my own two cents.

We'll start off with our "common, boring" protagonist. Komaru Naegi is voiced by Cherami Leigh, a very prolific and well known voice actress in the anime scene. Some of her most well-known roles are Asuna Yuuki from Sword Art Online, Lucy Heartfilia from Fairy Tail, Makoto Nijima from Persona 5 and recently got a potentially huge one as Sarada Uchiha, one of the main characters of Boruto (Naruto sequel). She's an exceptionally talented actress who does great work in whatever she's been cast in.

Next up is the Ultimate Affluent Progeny, Byakuya Togami. His voice actor is Jason Wishnov, reprising his role from Danganronpa 1 and 2. He doesn't have many voice acting roles on record, but he is notably Nocturne in League of Legends and Chen Gong in Dynasty Warriors 8. The reason he doesn't do much VA work is because his primary job is video game director and designer. He's the CEO and co-founder of Iridium Studios, who have released Before the Echo and There Came an Echo, both available on Steam. Byakuya is a very stoic character, but Jason got the chance to really show his acting chops in Chapter 4 of Danganronpa 1, where Byakuya got angry when he was proven wrong in the class trial.

Finally, we have The Serva- uh, Nagito Komaeda. Like in Danganronpa 2, he is voiced by Bryce Papenbrook, who notably also voiced Komaru's brother Makoto in Danganronpa 1. Bryce is another very prolific voice actor, but is somewhat divisive due to him being typecast as 'every generic anime main character'. Some of these more well-known main characters are Kirito from Sword Art Online and Eren Jaeger from Attack on Titan. To a lot of people he just kinda suffers from overexposure, which is fair enough, but he generally does a good job. Of course, none of this applies to Nagito Komaeda. His role as Nagito is probably his best, simply because it really let him step away from the character archetype he's known for and go wild, with excellent results. As Nagito he's one of the stand-outs of the entire (extremely good) Danganronpa 2 dub. From his first appearance here in this LP you could probably tell he's playing Nagito a little bit differently this time. He's a bit more quiet and whispery, which makes perfect sense if you consider the differences between his mindwiped DR2 self and his appearance here.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 7, 2018

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SoundwaveAU posted:

The reason he doesn't do much VA work is because his primary job is video game director and designer. He's the CEO and co-founder of Iridium Studios, who have released Before the Echo and There Came an Echo, both available on Steam.

Huh. So that weird little rhythm game sitting in my Steam library that I feel like I should finish some day about once a year and I still remember from when it was still called "Sequence" is actually made by a company run by Byakuya.

I have no actual statement to go along with this realization because it's just such a strange connection. "Voice acts in a super anime game" and "runs an indie game company" is not a Venn diagram crossover I would have expected to exist.

Anyway, as a quick progress report, I recorded some footage. I'll start working on the update tomorrow or so.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Every time I see a picture of Nagito I remember that the character artist for this series has apparently never encountered human hair before

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

We call that hairstyle the Bakura.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Blue Labrador posted:

Every time I see a picture of Nagito I remember that the character artist for this series has apparently never encountered human hair before

I dunno, some days I wake up and my hair isn't that far off.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blue Labrador posted:

Welcome to anime hairstyles, enjoy your stay.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I dunno, that reads to me as 'Frizzy haired teenaged boy has heard of a comb, but refuses to use one on principle'.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

♪ BGM: Chapter Title

Alright, let's get into the first chapter. Our game is officially beginning.

And we begin with Komaru hurtling towards the ground screaming.

Ow ow ow ow...

However, thanks to the parachute, she's mostly fine!

Ugh... that was so scary!

But then, a sound!

Uh oh!

More Monokumas start showing up.

They're here...

Komaru has no answer but to hide under her parachute as the Monokumas start closing in.

Please help me, please help me, please help me, please help me, please help me...

But then, the sound of the moving Monokumas stops and is replaced with a metal clang. Komaru decides to take a look...

And combat is joined! Claws vs. scissors!

Scissors win!

Hehehehe...

♪ BGM: DSO_Mr. Monokuma's Extracurricular Lesson

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, killing these things just doesn't light my fire!

Komaru doesn't know what the gently caress.

Foooound you...

Hey, you! You're Komaru Naegi, right? Right right right? Isn't that riiiight?

If you're not, you better tell me...

...I'll cut you into pieces and line you up at the meat counter!

Th-that's right! I'm Komaru Naegi!

But then, more Monokumas show up!

Oh no... there's more of them!

Kyahahahaha!

Man, what a pain.

She then tosses another scissor...

...with effective results.

She then grabs Komaru.

Reeeendezvous!

I had to run through the entire game up to that point with Japanese voices on just to get the subtitle, because I could not for the life of me understand what she was saying there. Of course, with scene skips, it only took like ten minutes at most. Cheers to SoundwaveAU for pointing out to me in the Sandcastle that only the Japanese voices get subtitles, that's probably going to come in handy a few more times.

♪ BGM: Monster That Shouts Its Love in the Middle of Hell

Ha! No wonder it sucks more than the other one! Well, that's modern technology for you!
I mean, it's not like this is sci-fi or something. It's borderline sci-fi at most.
Kyeeeahahaha!
U-Um...?
Yes, madame? What business do you have with me?
A-Are you...here to rescue me?

...Hm, Dekomaru, was it?
I-It's "Komaru"... Komaru Naegi!
And where's Master Byakuya? You know where he is, right?
H-Huh?

Y-You can...smell it?

N-No, no, no, I'm, I'm not hiding hi--
Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven...
...Wh-What are you doing?
If you don't give me my Master by the time I get to zero, I'm gonna cut you like wet mochi!
Four. Three. Two...
H-Hold on! I really don't know--
One... ...

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

We have a standoff...

...but suddenly, her hand starts shaking.

She seems to be having some problems...

...and having eyes spinning like slot machine reels doesn't sound great either.

And then they stop!

She lets the scissors fall.

Wh-who are you?

Huh!?

Komaru still doesn't know what the gently caress, and probably knows even less now.

♪ BGM: DSO_Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

Uh, I...just told you that...
Oh, did you?
I-I can't help it, y'know! I don't share memories with her!
Her? Memories...?
Gah, jeez! Stop saying stuff that makes no sense! Everything is confusing enough as it is... At least tell me whether you're an enemy or a friend!
W-Well...you can call me your ally.
Then come on! If we don't hurry, we're gonna get attacked!
I-It's alright...
...Huh?
N-No it's...it's alright...I can do it because... I made a promise... With hiiim...

♪ BGM: Absolute Delusional Girl

I very much recommend watching the "meeting Toko Fukawa" video to see this scene. It is absolutely magical.

Y-Yes...

An a-amazing talent...that holds...ah... incredible possibilities!
Ah! Master! Th-Th-Thank you! ...Thank you! Very! Much!
Master that talent... Do it for me!
Y-Y-Yeees!

And with some incredibly suggestive white splurts, we fade back.

♪ BGM: DSO_Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

Um...are you okay?

I can make good use of her now! I've learned a lot since then...

Toko here talks a whole bunch assuming that you know about the events of DR1, including her inability to control her serial killer split personality, Genocide Jack. Of course, you should be in the know about Toko and Jack and their one-sided relationship with Byakuya now. Seems like she's managed to work some sort of solution for that whole serial killer problem out.

We're gonna take them all down right here, right now! I'll, I'll...smash 'em to pieces!
L-Let's go! Um... O... Omaru Naegi!
Omaru!?

♪ BGM: Absolute Despair Girl

Yay!

If you press the C Key, you will switch with Genocide Jack. Not only does she not take damage, but she uses super strong attacks as well! Press Left mouse button to attack and Shift Key to evade. Hold Left mouse button for a special skill. Also, you can focus on enemies with the Right mouse button and... If you press either the SPACE Key or the Ctrl Key, you can unleash the super powerful Slash Lust! Feel free to try it out!

Alright, so let's get this show going. We press C, and...

♪ BGM: Fever Time

...it's scissoring time!

The game basically switches to a hack-and-slash game when you use Genocide Jack. We can slash regularly...

...charge up and do some sort of Psycho Crusher-like spinning attack...

...some spinny attack thing...

...and when we lock on, we get to use a special attack.

The special attacks are little vignettes that have the enemies on screen in them.

The Monokumas get a bit of a makeover...

...and get some spiffy new haircuts!

And then they explode to conclude our little playaround.

Oops, I forgot to mention... There's a time limit for using Genocide Jack.

Also, you can't just use Slash Lust limitlessly.

The Lust Gauge fills up when Genocide Jack defeats enemies. Do a single, 1 gauge attack with Right mouse button + SPACE Key and a 3 gauge combo move with Right mouse button + Ctrl Key. You can go back to Komaru with C Key at any time, so be smart during battle!

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

...Amazing... That was amazing! What was that just now!? It's like you were a totally different person!
... ...Too casual.
...Huh?
D-Don't speak to me so casually, like I'm one of your friends or something! I'm your senior!
B-But! You...still haven't told me your name.
Hmph... I'm sure you're just going to forget it right away, but...
It's Toko Fukawa.
Toko...Fukawa...
Oh, sorryyy for having such a boring name! I bet you think it's perfect for a hag like me, right!?
I-I don't think that at all!
And anyway... What was that all about earlier? You were a completely different person.
I couldn't tell you.
...What?
I d-don't remember. Didn't I already tell you? We don't share memories.
Um... I don't really get it...
Gr, it's like I said! I have a split personality! That...girl...was Genocide Jack!
...Oookayyy?
Y-You don't believe me, right? You think I'm just some filthy woman who's sick in the head! Y-You're probably wondering how a stupid pig managed to l-learn how to talk, aren't you!?
I don't think that! Well, maybe the first bit...
I mean, it's true that it's...a little hard to believe, and I was...pretty surprised... But if that's what you say, I believe you. It was a pretty drastic change, after all...
You believe me just like that? What are you, stupid or something?
Well, what was I supposed to say!?
Well, if you really are this stupid, that just makes this easier...
I-It's just... I feel like I've heard the name "Genocide Jack" somewhere before...
I-I see... So you still remember... Well, no point in hiding it now. It was all over the talk shows back in the day, after all...
Talk shows...? Wait, could it be...?
...No, never mind. Couldn't be.
Wh-What?
It's just, I feel like I've heard a similar name on the news about some serial killer...
...Yeah. That's the one.
...What!?
B-But! That was just in the old days! I-I've completely tamed her since then!
Mmm... Master commanded me to discover the secret, and I learned the stun gun does the trick... And depending on how much shock I give myself, after a while I go back to my normal self.
Hehehe, isn't it great!? It's all thanks to Master Byakuya!
Uh, anyway... It seems like a good skill to have. With that power, we can get through 'em easy.
D-Don't be dense!
Huh?
Didn't I just say I need the stun gun to change!? My brain would fry if I just did it over and over! I can't just use it at will like that...
Really...?
Anyway, what is your relationship with Master Byakuya, hm? Why do you have that Hacking Gun?
I-I was saved by him earlier... H-He gave this gun to me.
S-Saved!? Master Byakuya...saved you!?

Oh no, I think we're losing her again!

♪ BGM: Absolute Delusional Girl

I swear in the name of the Togami family!

You better not get ahead of yourself! J-Just because you're ugly in a...in a cute way!
Why are you angry!?
R-Remember this: I won't let anyone interfere in my romance with Master!
I'm going to rescue Master, and then, in the heat of the moment, we'll... Oooh!
Huh? Rescue? W-Wait! Hold on! Byakuya...was captured!?
What, you just figured that out? Why would I even be here if it weren't for Master?
He was probably ambushed by cowards... There's no way he'd just allow himself to be captured...
I-I see... So he was caught after all...
You better not feel responsible for this! Your guilt would be an insult to my Master!
You're right... My worrying won't change anything...

...What was that?
N-Nothing! And watch your mouth!
I'm...so terribly...sorry?
It's fine, you're a lost cause anyway.
But more importantly, I want to hurry up and find Master. Now is not the time to relax.
Y-You're right. We've gotta get out of this building.
Well then, after you.
Huh!? Why do I have to go first!?
Y-You have Master's gun, don't you!?
But don't worry, when you're *really* in trouble, I'll save you... I can't have you dying on me...

This is a gameplay element Toko is bringing up here. We'll get to that when it becomes appropriate.

Now come on, stop staring off into space and get moving already! You're not dead yet!
F-Fine...

♪ BGM: We Can't Change The World

Alright, that'll do for this time. Next time: Gameplay that is actually fairly representative of what we'll be doing throughout the game, albeit a bit low on the combat since the game needs to start slow and all that!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Okay I'm not gonna lie I'm actually really digging Komaru as a protagonist, she's already my fav protagonist outside of v3. Her voice actor's doing good and I really respect how civil she's remaining. Also in terms of her freaking out.... I get it man.

Also I'm interested in where this goes with Toko. When I played DR1 I could never tell if I loved her or hated her

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Poor Komaru. What kind of parents would name their kid "Difficult"?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Toko in the first game is kinda ehhh. She's largely carried by her serial killer persona, I think.

I liked her more in this game, though.

TheMcD posted:

You better not get ahead of yourself! J-Just because you're ugly in a...in a cute way!

I'm not sure if this is a backhanded compliment or a backhanded insult. :allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Going back to the update before this.

Monaca posted:

For me, my skill isn't really about uniting people, it's about getting them all to help me. Believe it or not, I bring together a lot of wonderful people... it would be nice if you could be a wonderful person for Monaca, too...

It's amazing how manipulative sounding most of Monaca's lines are.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Toko was definitely my least favorite character in DR1, but I found Genocide JillJack to be relatively ok because she was at least pretty funny. This game has problems, but making Toko into a decent character is not one of them. I can at least give it that credit.

Also I much prefer Genocide Jill as a name and it's too bad the localisations basically dropped that after DR1.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

TheMcD posted:

L-Let's go! Um... O... Omaru Naegi!
Omaru!?

"Omaru" means "toilet" in Japanese, so there's a nice little double meaning here that doesn't really translate across.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Toko in DR1 was on the list of characters I wanted to shut the hell up during trials, while Genocider was perpetually entertaining.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SoundwaveAU posted:

"Omaru" means "toilet" in Japanese, so there's a nice little double meaning here that doesn't really translate across.

This... explains some things.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

namehereguy posted:

Toko in DR1 was on the list of characters I wanted to shut the hell up during trials, while Genocider was perpetually entertaining.

Yes but if Genocider's laughs are all voice-acted this is gonna get on my nerves fast.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, time for some proper gameplay. First of all, let's check out the menu.

We have a few things to check out here. First, we get a map, which gives us a small overview of where we are right now as far as the "level" is concerned. So here, we're on the rooftop of a hospital, and our goal will probably be to go down to the bottom floor and exit. I don't use the map at all for this segment because it's pretty linear, but from then on, it's very useful to find out whether a door you can enter leads to a room that is a dead end (and therefore must be searched for stuff) or leads to the way forward (and therefore must be ignored until all the dead ends are explored).

The screen also shows Komaru's level, which will become relevant for skills, and our Monocoin count, which will become relevant when we can buy stuff later.

As an aside, there's a fair amount of these little chibi renditions of Komaru and Toko in the menus, and I think they're totally adorable and I love them.

Our skills menu is pretty barren right now. We have exactly one skill, which automatically focuses on the nearest enemy when we ready the megaphone, and we have exactly one skill point to use the skill with, so we might as well assign it. We will pick up more skills later that do all kinds of stuff.

Our truth bullets menu could also take some more stuff. For now, we have nothing to do here, but we can already see that we seem to have some ability to "bling up" our truth bullets, which probably makes them shoot faster, harder, more often, that kind of deal.

Move can't be upgraded, which makes sense, since it just hits objects and makes them do context-sensitive things. You can't exactly make that more "effective".

Our files menu will list all the different collectibles. These will come up throughout the first chapter, so we'll go over the different types then. To note: I have a list of collectibles, but will not be consulting it during gameplay for my first run through to keep the gameplay videos from entirely grinding to a halt. I'll make a second pass later and pick up the rest.

The people menu gives us some profiles for the main characters we've met. Let's transcribe these.

Komaru Naegi posted:

Height: 5'4''
Weight: 108 lbs
Vitals: 33''
DOB: May 31st
Blood: Type A

- Girl's Manga
- Whatever's trending

Dislikes:

- Lightning
- Rainy Season

Bio: A "normal girl", little sister to the "Ultimate Hope" Makoto Naegi. Doesn't have any special talents. Has been imprisoned in a Towa City apartment for a year and a half.

Toko Fukawa posted:

Height: 5'3''
Weight: 104 lbs
Vitals: 31''
DOB: March 3rd
Blood: Type O

- Byakuya Togami
- Romance novels

Dislikes:

- Light novels
- Manga

Bio: Former student of Hope's Peak Academy and the "Ultimate Writing Prodigy", famous as a young novelist. Currently a Future Foundation intern. In love with co-worker Byakuya Togami.

Genocide Jack posted:

Height: 5'3''
Weight: 104 lbs
Vitals: 31''
DOB: March 3rd

- Byakuya Togami
- Adorable boys

Dislikes:

- Unadorable boys
- Unadorable girls

Bio: The other personality that lurks inside Toko Fukawa. A former serial killer that solely targeted "adorable little men". Eccentric, energetic, and also in love with Byakuya Togami.

Byakuya Togami posted:

Height: 6'1''
Weight: 150 lbs
Vitals: 32''
DOB: May 5th
Blood: Type B

- Coffee
- French

Dislikes:

- Plebeians
- Microwave meals

Bio: Former student of Hope's Peak Academy and successor to Togami Group. Survived the school killing incident along with Makoto Naegi and Toko Fukawa.

Servant posted:

Height: 5'9''
Weight: 143 lbs
Vitals: 33''
DOB: April 28th

- Beautiful things
- Beautiful people

Dislikes:

- Noisy places
- Ugly people

Bio: Ever since he was captured by the Warriors of Hope, he serves as their "Servant". However, he appears to have ulterior motives. He believes hope to be the most precious thing on Earth.

Masaru Daimon posted:

Height: 4'3''
Weight: 77 lbs
Vitals: 24''
DOB: May 7th

- Soccer
- Vaulting

Dislikes:

- Math
- Cigarettes

Bio: Hero and "leader" of the Warriors of Hope. The "Li'l Ultimate P.E.". Super skilled at physical activities and sports. Though he is boastful, the others rarely take him seriously.

Jataro Kemuri posted:

Height: 4'3''
Weight: 66 lbs
Vitals: 21''
DOB: February 29th

- Being hated
- Washing machines

Dislikes:

- Being liked
- Himself

Bio: Priest of the Warriors of Hope. The "Li'l Ultimate Art" who can handle any arts and crafts. Acknowledges and encourages being greatly disliked by his friends and himself.

Kotoko Utsugi posted:

Height: 4'4''
Weight: 64 lbs
Vitals: 26''
DOB: June 13th

- Peeled chestnuts
- Adorbs stuff

Dislikes:

- Unpeeled chestnuts
- Regular cute stuff

Bio: Fighter of the Warriors of Hope. The "Li'l Ultimate Drama" who used to be a famous child actor. Loves "adorbs" things and actively collects them.

Nagisa Shingetsu posted:

Height: 4'5''
Weight: 73 lbs
Vitals: 23''
DOB: October 23rd
Blood: Type AB

- Dictionaries
- Monaca

Dislikes:

- Earthworms
- Needles

Bio: Sage and vice leader of the Warriors of Hope. The "Li'l Ultimate Social Studies". Is more mature than the other Warriors of Hope, and thus often plays the role of babysitter.

Monaca posted:

Height: 4'4''
Weight: 62 lbs
Vitals: 26''
DOB: April 1st
Blood: Type B

- Free period
- Warm futons

Dislikes:

- Alone time
- Cold meals

Bio: Mage of the Warriors of Hope. The “Li'l Ultimate Homeroom" who loves to exchange opinions with everyone. She cannot walk and thus uses a wheelchair.

I'll be putting those into the second post of the thread as things go along.

Finally, we have some regular system options. Nothing too special here, though "retry" is going to become interesting down the line. We'll get to that later. Anyway, let's get back to gameplay.

On the roof, we find one more thing.

Well, hehe, if it isn't your little buddy! Maybe you should try riding on it!
Hey, who are you calling a baby!?

...Ah, this is surprisingly relaxing...
S-Seriously!?

♪ Jingle: Saving on a Potty

So yeah, these training potties are going to be spread around throughout the game, and they're going to be our save points.

Now, let's head down inside the hospital.

So here's the first of the gameplay videos. Just so you know, these are going to be unedited, just the straight shot of how I played the particular segment.

Dark and depressing... Just like me.
Yeah, right...
"Right"!? Why didn't you deny it!?
That means you agree, don't you!? Just as I thought, humans cannot be trusted...
Humans...? You're having delusions.
I prefer to call it imagination!

This wasn't here when I was on the roof before! What's going on?
You can't open it?
It's impossible, there's no power.
Then...what should we do?
Oh, don't worry, there's a mystical spell that magically opens the door! Let's chant it together!
What!? Seriously?
Of course not! Obviously we just have to look for the switch and turn on the power!

Aw, she's so disappointed there wasn't a magic spell to open the door.

♪ BGM: Alice in the Children's Land

Well, let's take a closer look.

W-Well obviously! You can't tell just by looking!? What are you, dense?
Wh-What're you doing...?
I-I'm trying not to look at the body! I... I have a fear of blood!
Oh... You with a fear of blood... Didn't expect that...
What? I'm not allowed to have a girly side just because my other personality is a serial killer?
I-I wasn't trying to be insulting!
But if you're afraid, shouldn't you just stay away from it?
I can't just keep saying I'm afraid. I need to overcome my fear of blood.
After all, you gain meaning in life through personal growth.
Th-That's a surprisingly positive outlook...
Surprisingly? I thought you said you didn't want to be insulting. But I was just repeating Master.
Ah, I just can't stand it! Just the *smell* of blood is enough to make me faint! If Master wants, I'll give up on that whole personal growth thing!

Moving on, we fairly quickly find the power supply room.

I think I have a solution for that.

There we go!

U-Um, Toko?
About this gun... Wouldn't it be better if you used it?
... I'm...allergic. To machines.
O-Oh. Well, if you have allergies, then... I guess it can't be helped...

We see a little light on the floor. This indicates a collectible of some type.

This is the first type of collectible - called a "note". This is just a little bit of text, either a note written by somebody or a brochure of some kind. It gives us a bit of information about the city we find ourselves in or the world in general, and it's not further discussed by Komaru and Toko. From this, we can glean that the riots in Towa City broke out near instantaneously, which I guess we already could figure from what Byakuya and others have said. We head back out to the hallway, but suddenly...

Gah! Hurry up and shoot it!

...well, that was easy.

Shooting that Monokuma got us enough EXP to level up. That basically just gets us another skill point, and since we don't have any skills, that's not really relevant right now.

Monokuma blasting continues. I won't show every single enemy we kill from this point on - just imagine the occasional Monokuma sprinkled in for now.

Now, with the power restored, we can head down to the next lower floor.

This area comes with some chasms that force us into certain rooms.

It's at this point that I turn the camera from auto to manual. Turns out that I was subconsciously trying to control the camera and getting annoyed it wasn't working. Next, we enter the room the chasm is making us enter.

I've seen this kid before!
No, it's probably just another one. Those brats are all wearing helmets like this.
Huh? Really?
Tee hee...
But why are they...wearing helmets?
I-I don't know! These kids only ever talk to each other! Even at a time like this, they're playing around like a bunch of idiots! S-Stupid brats...
But isn't it dangerous? What if they get attacked by Monokumas?
No, you don't get it. These brats are working with the Monokumas to kill all the adults.
They‘re what!?
Kids killing adults...it's completely insane! But we can't just *attack* these brats... It's so...frustrating!
Tee hee...
Anyway, Toko... What's that box next to that kid?
Who knows? Maybe you should open it.

I'm sure a smart gamer like you already knows, but Truth Bullets are a limited resource. But, there are exceptions like Move. But worrying about exceptions is no way to live. Truth Bullets are replenished with item boxes, or by picking up the ones dropped by Monokumas. Other than bullets, you might find hearts to heal HP, or batteries for Genocide Jack. Resupply yourself skillfully so you don't find yourself full of one item but empty of another!

OK, so basically "collect items", gotcha.

We get a restock of our Break ammo in this present box.

And after picking that up, the Monokuma kid just bails.

Is that kid...giving this to us? Why help us like this?
M-My guess is...they're carrying out someone's order.
Huh? Order?
Wh-Who cares, anyway...? No point wasting our time worrying about mentally damaged kids...
Well, that might be true, but...
It's fine! Jeez, you're slow, hurry up already!
O-Okay...

We get to see a little Monokuma image on the x-ray display.

Another thing I notice here again is that Toko automatically ducks when you ready the megaphone.

More blasting Monokumas.

Mikan cameo on the hospital bulletin board!

We enter the diagnosis room and find two things to look at.

The first one is this note here. "Evidence points to the involvement of the Remnants of Despair"? Well, I think we've already spotted one of them.

The second one is our first of a new collectible type - "literature". The difference between literature and notes is...

...that Komaru and Toko discuss the literature they find.

Really? I thought it looked pretty good...
I'm sure an idiot like you would enjoy it, but I only acknowledge pure literature.
I mean, look at this! He's using dissociative identity disorder as a plot point, the hack! Poking fun at his subject without even considering how they feel... This is *not* professional!
I'm sure he's not writing about you, specifically...
Oh, and speaking of dissociative identities, I wanted to ask you something... Genocide Jack isn't gonna kill me...right? I'm totally safe, right?
No, she won't. She has a special thing about killing cute men. When it comes to Monokumas, I think she sees it as "breaking" them, not really "killing" them...
But she threatened me and told me she'd kill me...
Maybe it was just a threat... Or maybe you're actually a cute guy.
I-I'm a girl!
Oh? I'm not so sure. You could be lying to me. There's no proof you're *not* a guy...
Wh-Why would I lie like that for no reason!? What, you want me to show you!? Proof that I'm a girl!?
Wh-What'd you get all serious for!? I was kidding!
Well sorry! We just met, I'm not used to your brand of humor yet!

So these literature bits give a bit of an opportunity for Komaru and Toko to converse about assorted topics. As a side note, the title of this book is a reference to The Minds of Billy Milligan, a book about the real case of Billy Milligan, the first man acquitted of major crimes in the US because of his dissociative identity disorder, which exhibited itself in the form of 24 different personalites. Or it could just be a straight reference to Billy Milligan without the book being involved. Regardless, let's move on.

Next, we head to the monitoring room, which has some swanky doors.

♪ BGM: It's a Monokuma World

Looks like a playground for those little b-brats. I've seen them playing around with that arcade machine before...

That arcade machine those kids just left ain't no normal arcade machine. It actually displays the surveillance camera in the next room! The kids use the controls to work the Monokumas in that room. Just like a video game! Oh, the horror! This is the life of a game brain! Anyways, there's always a strategy for rooms with a nearby arcade machine.

But if you use a certain route, you can get past without getting caught. Now then, try shooting Move at the arcade machine, then check next door!

Alright, sounds good. Let's do it.

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Activate

Now, this is one of the major gameplay components. Basically, every once in a while, we're going to find these Monoku-Man arcade machines, and they will display a surveillance camera video of the room after that. In this one, we just have to escape without getting caught by the Monokumas, but future rooms are going to be more complex than that. These puzzles have the job of mixing up the gameplay by forcing you to not just go in and shoot everything, but rather adapt a certain strategy and using enemy behaviors in order to make a certain outcome happen.

By pressing the F1 Key, you can see the arcade machine's video again. But, this will leave you vulnerable, so be very careful!

So, we enter from the bottom right of the surveillance video...

...walk behind the desk with the three computers...

...and head to the exit!

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Success

So, that was pretty easy, but like I said, the later ones will become more intricate. Anyway, that'll do it for this update. Next time, we head outside the hospital and start exploring Towa City.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SoundwaveAU posted:

TheMcD posted:

Well, hehe, if it isn't your little buddy!

And this is the reason why save points are toilets.

I also like how Touko grew an ahoge now that she's secondary main character.

TheMcD posted:

I'm sure an idiot like you would enjoy it, but I only acknowledge pure literature.
I mean, look at this! He's using dissociative identity disorder as a plot point, the hack! Poking fun at his subject without even considering how they feel... This is *not* professional!

Man, this is reminding me of a lot of fan-game LP discussions on this board.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 15, 2018

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
... like hell Byakuya is 6'1!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Hahaha

Collecting book snippets to activate banter is actually hilarious

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

TheMcD posted:

Maybe it was just a threat... Or maybe you're actually a cute guy.
I-I'm a girl!
Oh? I'm not so sure. You could be lying to me. There's no proof you're *not* a guy...
Wh-Why would I lie like that for no reason!? What, you want me to show you!? Proof that I'm a girl!?
Wh-What'd you get all serious for!? I was kidding!

Toko, that's the kind of joke that would be funnier if Genocider hadn't expressed a great deal of enthusiasm at the prospect of killing crossdressing boys.

Leave the jokes about murders she actually might commit to her and stick to snarking about literature. Play to your strengths.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is the second time that Touko has called Komaru cute within probably an hour of meeting her, and I'm fairly certain that's more compliments she's paid her than everyone who isn't Byakuya in the first game combined.

So maybe this is her awkward attempt at flirting. :v:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
A part of me wonders if that book is a reference to the M. Night Shyamalan movie Split, which also features a man with 24 split personalities.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Junpei posted:

A part of me wonders if that book is a reference to the M. Night Shyamalan movie Split, which also features a man with 24 split personalities.

The movie that came out two and a half years after this game? Sounds legit.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Solitair posted:

The movie that came out two and a half years after this game? Sounds legit.

You don't understand just how META the Danganronpa franchise really is, do you?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The DR devs were really ahead of their time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

namehereguy posted:

Toko, that's the kind of joke that would be funnier if Genocider hadn't expressed a great deal of enthusiasm at the prospect of killing crossdressing boys.

Leave the jokes about murders she actually might commit to her and stick to snarking about literature. Play to your strengths.

Toko was never the type to make appropriate comments at appropriate times, really. This is just par for the course.

Blue Labrador posted:

You don't understand just how META the Danganronpa franchise really is, do you?

FPzero posted:

The DR devs were really ahead of their time.

Clearly, in Kodaka's and Uchikoshi's efforts to keep copying stuff from each other, Kodaka decided to take up time travel as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

TheMcD posted:

Toko was never the type to make appropriate comments at appropriate times, really. This is just par for the course.

Yeah, Toko's real core strength is being such a horrible fujioshi that it's honestly a relief when she turns out to have been secretly a serial killer the whole time. Byakuya's most humanizing trait is hating her.