Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ihmemies posted:

I use https://displaycal.net/ to calibrate my screens. It also includes a program which keeps applying the calibration files in case something fucks with the color calibration.

I'll give this a go, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Here's an amusing parallel I noticed, related to this Windows bug. In WSL you can change the Windows mount point from /mnt/c to whatever. Someone posted a github issue where they changed the mount point, but the previous /mnt/c folder still existed, and wondered if they should be removed by the system when you change your mount point.

A Microsoft engineer replied

quote:

This is by-design. The /mnt/c directory is the mount point. Cleaning these up would be problematic because let's say you changed your DrvFs drives to mount at /win/* and started putting files under /mnt/c which is now just a real directory. If we deleted these directories we could potentially be causing user data loss. I suggest after changing the automount root directory, that you clean these up manually.

Too bad that guy didn't review the very similar sounding change to redirected user folders :)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good summary for 1809 issues

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/known-problems-and-fixes-for-october-2018-windows-10-updates/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Shout-out to everyone who pointed out that I could re-use the Win7 key from my wife's desktop to re-install it on her new SSD and get a free upgrade to 10 :hellyeah: If the Office 2013 key that I used on my laptop can be re-used on her desktop then I'll be golden (sorry if it's :files: to suggest that)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

C-Euro posted:

Shout-out to everyone who pointed out that I could re-use the Win7 key from my wife's desktop to re-install it on her new SSD and get a free upgrade to 10 :hellyeah: If the Office 2013 key that I used on my laptop can be re-used on her desktop then I'll be golden (sorry if it's :files: to suggest that)

Office 2013/16/19/365 keys are active keys for the most part. You could end up taking the license away from her computer. You want to roll the dice, that's up to you. On the other hand, I know I still have an institution-account Office 365 5-seat license from my community college from yonks ago going strong.

Windows 10 cares less about upgrade licenses because they're device-specific and once the hardware configuration is licensed via the old Hit the Internet With Windows 10 After Upgrading From an Activated Old Windows With Windows 10 Install Media trick Microsoft's licensing servers don't give a poo poo what 7/8/.1 key it came from. (Note that this is also likely :filez: :ssh: if you're reusing a license key on multiple systems but the BSA/Marshals/Mounties/etc probably don't care unless you're doing business stuff with it.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 16, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

dont be mean to me posted:

Office 2013/16/19/365 keys are active keys for the most part. You could end up taking the license away from her computer. You want to roll the dice, that's up to you. On the other hand, I know I still have an institution-account Office 365 5-seat license from my community college from yonks ago going strong.

Windows 10 cares less about upgrade licenses because they're device-specific and once the hardware configuration is licensed via the old Hit the Internet With Windows 10 After Upgrading From an Activated Old Windows With Windows 10 Install Media trick Microsoft's licensing servers don't give a poo poo what 7/8/.1 key it came from. (Note that this is also likely :filez: :ssh: if you're reusing a license key on multiple systems but the BSA/Marshals/Mounties/etc probably don't care unless you're doing business stuff with it.)

Nah the Windows 7 key that I first installed on the new SSD was from her old now-dead HDD, so I don't feel bad about re-using it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Windows 10 cares less about upgrade licenses because they're device-specific and once the hardware configuration is licensed via the old Hit the Internet With Windows 10 After Upgrading From an Activated Old Windows With Windows 10 Install Media trick Microsoft's licensing servers don't give a poo poo what 7/8/.1 key it came from.

Windows 10 cares less about upgrade licenses because it's got data-collection and ads

also because all the pirated XP & 7 installs that never got updated inflicted a massive amount of damage to their ecosystem and the public perception of windows' security

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Klyith posted:

Windows 10 cares less about upgrade licenses because it's got data-collection and ads

also because all the pirated XP & 7 installs that never got updated inflicted a massive amount of damage to their ecosystem and the public perception of windows' security

But more importantly because a good quarter billion legit licenses are bought anyway with new consumer/business computers, and then a lot of those need additional licensing. Same as it ever was.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Does anyone else have the History button show up underneath the Close Window button at the top right in the Calculator app? Assuming you have the window shrunk to minimum size.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

isndl posted:

Does anyone else have the History button show up underneath the Close Window button at the top right in the Calculator app? Assuming you have the window shrunk to minimum size.

Yes. 1803 here.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm still on 1803 but last night I got the Intel spectre/meltdown microcode update. Seems okay so far, but every hour I'm getting a Controlled Folder Access notification from Defender that "IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe" has been blocked from making changes to memory. That's a component of Intel RST. I checked ASUS' site for any driver updates for my motherboard and they *still* haven't updated since december of last year. Is Intel RST something I can get and safely update from Intel or do I need to contact ASUS and bitch at them for new drivers?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can safely get it from the Intel Download Center. Just download the newest version, doesn't matter if it's described as being for the Intel NUC or not. And, most of the time, you only need the SATA driver - so, if you want, you can uninstall Rapid Storage and manually install the driver using Device Manager.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 16, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

That seems to have done the trick, thanks. Also updated my GPU drivers, which is always nerve-wracking, but so far so good.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Arivia posted:

Yes. 1803 here.

Unless there was a stealth update to the app the issue seems to be fixed now. I haven't even rebooted. :iiam:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I've noticed a couple of weird things on my Windows systems:
- Mobile devices end up with a dead battery after just a couple days being left off, and left at 100% when shut down (and not put into sleep mode.)
- An external HDD that I use for a weekly backup, then disconnect (via Windows, but leave plugged in physically) is not detected upon cold boot but it's listed in Device Manager as if I disconnected it after booting that session (i.e. "marked for disconnect, unplug and replug to use this device") except as above, the system has been powered down fully first since the last disconnect.
- Task Manager lists uptimes of days when the devices have been powered off for all that time. Only when the system is rebooted does the uptime indicator reset to 0.

Are those problems related to Windows Fast Startup? That does appear to be the case, so disabling it and hibernation (which I never use anyway) should resolve all of the issues above, correct?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Atomizer posted:

I've noticed a couple of weird things on my Windows systems:
- Mobile devices end up with a dead battery after just a couple days being left off, and left at 100% when shut down (and not put into sleep mode.)
- An external HDD that I use for a weekly backup, then disconnect (via Windows, but leave plugged in physically) is not detected upon cold boot but it's listed in Device Manager as if I disconnected it after booting that session (i.e. "marked for disconnect, unplug and replug to use this device") except as above, the system has been powered down fully first since the last disconnect.
- Task Manager lists uptimes of days when the devices have been powered off for all that time. Only when the system is rebooted does the uptime indicator reset to 0.

Are those problems related to Windows Fast Startup? That does appear to be the case, so disabling it and hibernation (which I never use anyway) should resolve all of the issues above, correct?

Yep. When Fast Startup is turned on Shutdown really means Hibernate. It causes all sorts of issues and if you're using an SSD it's completely pointless.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fast startup just suspends the kernel to disk so as with normal suspending to disk (hibernation) it shouldn't be able to cause battery drain. Otoh, lots of people claim it does cause battery drain for them and there's no harm in disabling it. I guess there could be some sort of bug where some laptops aren't fully shutting down with fast startup?

It is somewhat pointless with ssds anyway (normal sleep/hibernation/hybrid sleep are more useful since they maintain the state of applications), so I'm not sure why they enable it by default honestly.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 17, 2018

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
This is surprising

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Finally browbeat those teams into playing by the rules everyone else has to follow, instead of being special. It's good.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

This is surprising

Its a start.

Also surprising.

I guess the telemetry showed a lot of people uninstalling this stuff through powershell scripts or, worse, registry hacks so MS gave in a bit.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Don't worry, they'll helpfully reinstall those apps after each major update

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good thing they left the Xbox app off that list.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Atomizer posted:

This kinda feels like expected behaviour though - you've "disconnected" the drive, so it stays that way until you plug it in again. Like an off switch on the drive itself

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I just recently read an article and learned that the Windows "check for updates" button puts you at the front of the queue for new updates when they're normally intentionally rolled out to users progressively. This is why so many people were experiencing the "deletes files in the user folders" bug before it could get caught and fixed. I had no loving idea Windows did this; I checked for updates to make sure the system wouldn't reboot at a time that was inopportune! :bahgawd:

mystes posted:

Fast startup just suspends the kernel to disk so as with normal suspending to disk (hibernation) it shouldn't be able to cause battery drain. Otoh, lots of people claim it does cause battery drain for them and there's no harm in disabling it. I guess there could be some sort of bug where some laptops aren't fully shutting down with fast startup?

It is somewhat pointless with ssds anyway (normal sleep/hibernation/hybrid sleep are more useful since they maintain the state of applications), so I'm not sure why they enable it by default honestly.

Yeah, every system I have has the OS on an SSD, so I've got no regrets about disabling Fast Startup.

I agree that hibernate, unlike sleep/suspend should still turn the whole PC off, preventing any battery drain, but how else can I explain a laptop that's "off," unplugged, with no other devices attached, whose battery drains from 100% to 0% in a matter of days? Top that off with Windows displaying days of uptime when it's clearly been off and that's why I'm trying to connect the dots here from Fast Startup to battery drain. :shrug:

baka kaba posted:

This kinda feels like expected behaviour though - you've "disconnected" the drive, so it stays that way until you plug it in again. Like an off switch on the drive itself

Right, but power cycling the system should do the same thing, unless Fast Startup is really not shutting down the system and instead resuming the previous session where the drive is still marked for disconnect (which makes sense and explains this behavior.) I'd rather not have to reach behind the PC and unplug/replug it every time. I'm using it this way because I want the drive to receive a backup and then immediately power down, both to limit wear/use of that drive and to protect it from any malady (malware, infection, etc.) that would impact any drive connected to and running on the PC.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I get why you want it to work that way, but it seems like they're intentionally and persistently marking the drive as "off" ("marked for disconnect" meaning "don't use this anymore it's getting pulled at some point"). So even when you reboot, the drive is still marked as unusable until someone explicitly reconnects it again. I mean it makes sense - it's safer and what if the computer reboots without you seeing it, say for an update or through some network admin action? This way it's the user who decides when they want to start using it again, not Windows

mystes
May 31, 2006

Atomizer posted:

I agree that hibernate, unlike sleep/suspend should still turn the whole PC off, preventing any battery drain, but how else can I explain a laptop that's "off," unplugged, with no other devices attached, whose battery drains from 100% to 0% in a matter of days? Top that off with Windows displaying days of uptime when it's clearly been off and that's why I'm trying to connect the dots here from Fast Startup to battery drain. :shrug:
Fast startup does prevent the uptime from being reset, so that's normal.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Atomizer posted:

...unless Fast Startup is really not shutting down the system and instead resuming the previous session...

This might be the cause; my understanding is that Fast Startup is a pseudo-hibernate (maybe logoff+hibernate, in effect) and if you want the full reboot experience with it enabled you pick Reboot these days. There also might be a command line way to do a real shutdown, I'm not sure but I know you can do a hibernate there (shutdown /h) without having it enabled in context menus.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 17, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I get why you want it to work that way, but it seems like they're intentionally and persistently marking the drive as "off" ("marked for disconnect" meaning "don't use this anymore it's getting pulled at some point"). So even when you reboot, the drive is still marked as unusable until someone explicitly reconnects it again. I mean it makes sense - it's safer and what if the computer reboots without you seeing it, say for an update or through some network admin action? This way it's the user who decides when they want to start using it again, not Windows

No it works as intended when you reboot, and it doesn't properly disconnect and reconnect when you power down as I'd expect (at least with hibernation in use.)

mystes posted:

Fast startup does prevent the uptime from being reset, so that's normal.

Right but I can only conclude that something in the system is draining the battery faster than expected. I mean to put it another way, if you fully power off a laptop how long would you expect it to drain? Definitely more than a few days, right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Normally I would expect it to last longer than that even if you suspend to ram.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There wouldn't happen to be any memory cards or whatever constantly plugged in to the laptop with unusual power drain, would there? I had a laptop once where the SD reader would constantly drain power in off mode for that reason.

Sometimes it's even a fully internal part that doesn't shut off right, like a wifi card.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 17, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pull the battery and then toss the laptop into the trash

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Alternately one of the battery cells is knackered and windows has nothing to do with what's happening.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Last Chance posted:

pull the battery and then toss the laptop into the trash

This is not YOSPOS.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This is not YOSPOS.

OS sure sounds like 'POS if the laptop can't sleep

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Last Chance posted:

Or its a hardware problem, which is always likely.

I'm getting visions of "Vista broke my RAM!" again sometimes.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 18, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

There wouldn't happen to be any memory cards or whatever constantly plugged in to the laptop with unusual power drain, would there? I had a laptop once where the SD reader would constantly drain power in off mode for that reason.

Sometimes it's even a fully internal part that doesn't shut off right, like a wifi card.

There are no cards or USB devices or anything like that when this occurs, but it could certainly be an internal component if that's a possible cause of this battery drain issue. If that's indeed the case then it seems like a pretty difficult problem to deal with. :(

Klyith posted:

Alternately one of the battery cells is knackered and windows has nothing to do with what's happening.

Seems like the only way to diagnose that would be if I could reliably determine the runtime on battery is the appropriate proportion less than the expected runtime? Like if you'd expect 9 hours on a 3-cell battery and were getting close to 6 that would indicate 1/3 bad cells?

Last Chance posted:

I don't even need sleep mode for my Windows devices. I either have the Plex server running 24/7, otherwise any other device is basically, "turn on, play games, then turn off for a few days." I use ChromeOS for everything else that doesn't need Windows specifically.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Maybe see if disabling Connected Standby helps, I've heard of it sometimes causing battery drain because it prevents the laptop from entering sleep properly.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Seems like the only way to diagnose that would be if I could reliably determine the runtime on battery is the appropriate proportion less than the expected runtime? Like if you'd expect 9 hours on a 3-cell battery and were getting close to 6 that would indicate 1/3 bad cells?

That's really not how batteries work. A single bad cell can and will completely destroy battery life to the point where Windows will even tell you something is wrong with it and you should change it. But more often you get your notebook's charge indicator blinking angrily at you while Windows goes "what battery?"

You can use something like BatteryInfoView to check your battery's health.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Geemer posted:

That's really not how batteries work. A single bad cell can and will completely destroy battery life to the point where Windows will even tell you something is wrong with it and you should change it. But more often you get your notebook's charge indicator blinking angrily at you while Windows goes "what battery?"

You can use something like BatteryInfoView to check your battery's health.

I'm familiar with electronics in general as well as electrochemical cells. The effect of a bad cell will depend on how they're wired into a battery (series, parallel, both.) However, I've never known to have experienced a battery with one bad cell as opposed to the whole thing just wearing down over time, which is why I was inquiring about diagnosing it in a computing device. The worst-case scenario would be if it happened in a device where the battery is soldered in and/or in a glued-together device like the Surface line. I will check out that software and see if it offers any insight. Thanks for your advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Atomizer posted:

I'm familiar with electronics in general as well as electrochemical cells. The effect of a bad cell will depend on how they're wired into a battery (series, parallel, both.) However, I've never known to have experienced a battery with one bad cell as opposed to the whole thing just wearing down over time, which is why I was inquiring about diagnosing it in a computing device. The worst-case scenario would be if it happened in a device where the battery is soldered in and/or in a glued-together device like the Surface line. I will check out that software and see if it offers any insight. Thanks for your advice.

I have had the same issue with my laptop. When I first got it (with Win10 preinstalled) the battery drained overnight even while using shut down but disabling fast boot seemed to solve the issue (even though there's no reason it should). Fast forward to an update a few months ago (not sure which actual update did it) and the problem reappeared and fast boot had reenabled itself. I got it disabled but the problem persisted.

I wish I had a solution but at this point I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have to plug my laptop in to get it to boot if I haven't used it for a day. Once it is fully charged it has normal battery life so the battery itself is fine.