Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
FFRRPG 4e Part 9: The Monk

Ahhhhh The Monk, rather than have two classes that try to do the punch and blast thing, we have one. Let's see how they turn out.

Level 1- Martial Artist, Standard equipment and hp/mp ability....why are these abilities?
Specializations
Brawler: Get the dual wield ability for your gloves/claws, ie reroll first failed !Attack. Not bad, but probably a think you want core.
Drunken Dodge: Whenever you are missed lower an initiative die by 1 to a minimum of this tick, if this was all dice I'd like it, one isn't much weaker just less fun.
Elemental Arts: If mp bonus=0, gain mp bonus=1. gain the Gravity, Healing, Poison or Purify spell group. As with most of these abilities perfectly serviceable.

Level 1- Jutsu: Pick one of the following jutsu's which are a slow(3) action. They all do a certain element of damage and use Fire vs. (4+ that stat), they also on a crit inflict that status. They do 4xfire at lvl1, 8xfire at lvl20, and 12*fire at lvl40.
!Katon: Fire, sleep on crit.
!Suiton: Water, Weaken (Mental) on crit.
!Doiton: Earth, poison on crit.
!Fuuton: Wind, blind on crit.
Specializations
Elan- Your jutsu hits all enemies.
Vengeful Spirits- Your jutsus always crit if they hit.
!Raiton- A reaction which negates an attack with an element related to your jutsu. (Katon: Fire/Light, Suiton: Water/Ice, !Doton: Air/Lighting, Fuuton: Earth/Shadow)
So, is Jutsu good? No, no it isn't for a CT of 3 you do barely more than an attack to start, equals an attack at the first upgrate, than becomes weaker than an attack at the second upgrade.

Level 15- Serenity: Gain R:Mental, R is fine for low level accessories and mid level stuff but for abilities I want I thanks.
Specializations
Jutsu Acolyte- Get another jutsu, why isn't this under Jutsu like the other "Pick another spell group" style stuff.
!Punch Rush- Use two iniative dice in one tick with gloves/claws to do 300% ST damage. This is a pretty unique and powerful charge move.
Swivel Kick- Gives the quick action !Kick, allowing you to attack all enemies halving the damage after the attack, ignores protect and resistance.
This is clearly meant as a punch poo poo level, why is jutsu acolyte here?

Level 24- Soul Volley: You gain the Slow(4) action Aura bolt(light) or Dark Bolt(shadow), which deals 13*Fire damage, or 20*Fire damage at level 50. How do these compare to normal attacks? Well basically good when gotten, on par with an auto attack when they upgrade.
Specializations
Awaken Chakra: Gives you !Chakra, which restores all status from you, can't be used while under a mental status effect.
Atemi: Gives you !Atemi, which for a slow(2) action....immboilizes. yep, that's it.
Suplex: If you hit twice in one tick with !attack or hit with !punch rush the target is confused. At least i can suplex trains.

Level 42- Release Chakra: Pick one of the following 4 options!
1) When using !Chakra you may spend any amount of mp to gain that much hp.
2) When using !Atemi you may spend 40mp to inflict disable.
3) When using a jutsu you can spend 40mp to increase it's damage to 16*Mag....yep still not competing with on level weapons.
4) When using a slow action you can spend X*15 mp to skip a charge of X.
Criticism: Spending mp to scale is the druids shtick, only one of these feels like a monk ability(x*15 mp to skip charge), and that feels like a specialization. Also i have an entire core ability devoted to spending mp when i have a base mp mod of 0.
Specialization
Soul explosion: When you hit with aura or dark bolt you can drop an initiative die to hit again on a different target. Now this is a specialization I can get behind, it's an upgrade to something for or something i don't actually need to function but really works.
Zen Awareness: I can use reactions while preparing slow actions, I don't get reactions as a monk. It's a great ability it just belongs on a reaction heavy sub job.
Elemental Field: when i hit with a jutsu both me and the target get R: That element until end of round. This blows, if it was "When I use a jutsu I get R:that element" that would be pretty cool(and jutsu's were good, and i didn't only have one), but nope.

Level 60- Timeless Body: You get R:Time, it's one of those levels where the ult is the spec, ugh.
Jutsu Master: Only the avatar master of three elements(you get two for taking this) can use !Kuuton, a slow(5) action. You make an attack roll of Fire vs. (2+Stat) once for each element compared to all enemies defenses(one roll per element), each hit does 6*Fire damage of that element ignoring magic armor. This is.....legitimately pretty dope.
Elemental Union: You get +1 mp multiplier and the Magebane, Enhancement, Regeneration or Divination group. Only take this if you are riding the suplex train for life.
!Phantom Rush: A Slow(6) action that inflicts 33*Earth crush elemental damage ignoring armor. A good choice for physical monks who took kick.

Criticism: Lemme just quote for a moment.

quote:

Most monks either devote themselves to the martial arts or to spiritual and magical pursues, however some masters try to balance these two paths.
This in a nutshell is the fundamental flaw of the monk, in addition to magic monks being awful until jutsu master and then you have one awesome spell, the class isn't designed for me to utilize both physical and magical abilities into my combat style like it's inspirations do in the FF games.
Besides buffing their magic side, make it clear what levels are magical and which are physical for cores and specs. I'd even say include a choice in the ult for !Kuuton or !Phantom Rush if not find a way to make an ult that uses both. (ie 1 & 24 give magic stuff, 15 & 42 give physical stuff.)

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I actually have a lot of problems with Druid and think that it's the worst main Job if you aren't going into Geomancy (which takes up a ton of room fo a rather... weirdly-niche FF job, I feel like.) Blue Mage and Summoner are still restricted by GM fiat which isn't guaranteed, a lot of the Summons are actually terrible at the level you could minimally get them until you get into late game and then you can just hug Alexander and Bahamut and cry about how you were useless until Level 30. The Tame command feels really loving weird and like they were trying to staple a Beastmaster thing on at the very beginning, and it doesn't work.

Monk, yeah, is really conflicted. I don't really like the Jutsus much at all for some of the reasons you described but also it just feels like stapling Ninja t Monk gets you the worst of both.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Monathin posted:

I actually have a lot of problems with Druid and think that it's the worst main Job if you aren't going into Geomancy (which takes up a ton of room fo a rather... weirdly-niche FF job, I feel like.) Blue Mage and Summoner are still restricted by GM fiat which isn't guaranteed, a lot of the Summons are actually terrible at the level you could minimally get them until you get into late game and then you can just hug Alexander and Bahamut and cry about how you were useless until Level 30. The Tame command feels really loving weird and like they were trying to staple a Beastmaster thing on at the very beginning, and it doesn't work.

The blue mage could probably use some free spell picks, but there are no ways to get around the GM Fiat problems of blue mages and summoners. yeah.
I think tame is fine on the summoner as an early mpless alternative to call, beast master is normally it's own thing but never fully fleshed out of good, and call is basically uniformly an mp hog(which it still is.)

But overall I can't rate balance too much without playing unless it's glaring.

quote:

Monk, yeah, is really conflicted. I don't really like the Jutsus much at all for some of the reasons you described but also it just feels like stapling Ninja t Monk gets you the worst of both.

Well the Monk and the Ninja were both trying to do code/magic damage and weapon attacks, so reducing that down to one class is a good thing because it's clear they want the classes to have more identity. And It is what Monks generally do in the video games consistently, high physical damage supplemented by magical attacks and utility. But they aren't doing that because their "magic" is just AWFUL.

(Ninja's consistent thing is dual wield and that's a secondary job so you know, that's fine.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

FFRRPG 4e Part 9: The Druid

Wait Druids? Those aren't part of FFLore,

In FF14, conjurers and white mages are druids in everything but name.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cythereal posted:

In FF14, conjurers and white mages are druids in everything but name.

pretty much, even the conjurer questline is very Druid-y balance of elements and nature, and purifying corrupted elemental bits - white mages are still primarily healer-focused.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Robindaybird posted:

pretty much, even the conjurer questline is very Druid-y balance of elements and nature, and purifying corrupted elemental bits - white mages are still primarily healer-focused.

That and they draw their power specifically from nature. The moment the kid you're mentoring really starts to click as a conjurer is when she realizes how beautiful the natural world is and finds a sense of wonder and awe.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Robindaybird posted:

Don't forget "being told you communed with and heard the voice of the Elementals and poo poo when there was absolutely no indication whatsoever that this happened"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sufficiently Advanced Part 7: Nested Combats.

Now that we've learned everything about Sufficiently Advanced's setting, and how to make characters, it's finally time to learn the rules. I don't know why so many games arrange themselves in this completely rear end-backwards fashion, but, that's just the way it goes.

Chapter 3: In the future, dice rolls will be multiplicative.

Dice Rolls

The very first thing this chapter explains, thankfully, is how dice are rolled. For any given check, you roll a d10 for your Capability, and a d10 for the relevant Profession. Then, you multiply the die result by the corresponding score, and take the higher result of the two. For example, in order to make an attack, you use Nanotech and the Soldier or Police Profession. The character I made has Nanotech 7 and Police 6. If I rolled a 3 and 8, the results would be 21 (7x3) and 48 (6x8), and the 48 would be the actual result of the roll. Core Values can add a +1 or +2 to the die roll (pre-multiplication) if it's consistent with the CV, or will add their full rating directly to your Metatech and Profession to resist attempts to sway you from your beliefs (as mentioned before).

Reserve can be spent from the Capability or Profession you used either one-for-one to increase the result of the corresponding die roll, or to reroll either die (so, in the above example, I could spend one Reserve from Nanotech or Police to reroll that 3 if I needed to beat, say, a 50, or I could spend a Reserve from Police to push that 8 to a 9, for 54). However, running dry on Reserve imposes a -1 penalty to rolls using that score, as you start to tire out.

This is an... interesting system. It lets you set an extremely wide range of difficulties, with low numbers being "normal, non-transhuman stuff", and as the numbers climb up towards 100 or more, you can keep up just by becoming more and more superhuman. The random factor is mitigated somewhat by the ability to spend Reserve, focusing your mind to ensure that you make it, while it reinforces the themes of needing to be enhanced to get anywhere significant. No matter how much Reserve you spend, a 3 (the maximum an Old Worlder can have) in Nanotech is never going to get you more than a 45 (10 on the die, plus 3 from Reserve, +2 from a very strong Core Value, times 3). This is in a system/setting where the "average" difficulty, while not explicitly said to be such, can be inferred to be about 60, with hard rolls going up to 80 or even 100. Around 40 is the maximum an unenhanced human can hope for if they give it everything they've got, and it serves as the easy difficulty. It really underscores just how much humanity has advanced over the past few thousand years.

Conflicts

Next is the section on how conflicts work, which can take the form of a single roll (with sample difficulties given), which is what's usually employed against static obstacles, or as extended conflicts, which are the form Sufficiently Advanced's opposed checks take. All opposed tests take place over multiple rolls, and combat is included in this. One thing I like a lot is that initiative isn't handled through a die roll. Instead, whoever declares that it's a conflict gets to throw the first punch (literally or metaphorically). They give a method of rolling off after that, if it's particularly important to know the order of action, but I get the sense the writers only added that bit in to shut up whiners.

Conflict goes back and forth, with each side describing their actions and rolling off with their respective Offense and Defense checks (more on that in a sec), with the defender losing Reserve (on top of any they spent in the roll) if their result is lower. If the Defender runs out of Reserve, the attacker wins and can describe their victory. In the case of combat, that usually means the defender dies. As mentioned, weapons in Sufficiently Advanced are so overwhelmingly powerful that a single hit decides the fight, and all that Reserve being spent or lost represents blocking or dodging.

Now, here are a couple charts, the first is a flowchart of how all conflicts play out. The second is a listing of every type of conflict in the game ("Baseball" being a stand-in for any sporting event). Listed are the Capability and Professions used by default for Offense, Defense, and Escape (how "escaping" works differs from one conflict to another, and can be somewhat abstract), with the Escape option representing getting yourself out of harm's way, but also letting the opponent go unopposed. The Timescale is how turns are measured within the conflict, and yes, any conflict with a smaller Timescale may be initiated while engaging in a larger conflict (for example, a Political Debate within a Political Campaign), with the winning side recovering Reserve for the main conflict.

Is it just me or does everything looks more convoluted when presented as flow chart? This system is really quite simple, honest.

I hope you didn't think I was joking when I mentioned ad campaigns as a type of conflict.

Now, some of these conflicts may not be self-explanatory. A Research Blitz is when one group is trying to invent something or reach a breakthrough before another, in order to retain the rights to it, and Psychohistorical Maneuvering is basically subtly manipulating events in order to influence the course of history in your favor, the sort of "grand conspiracy" poo poo that's often paralleled in metaphor through a chess match or some poo poo between the two people in charge of the competing factions. A Nanotech Bloom is using harmful nanobots to destroy an area (Nanowarfare is basically a large campaign of Nanotech Blooms), and a Mimetic Assault is when you use specially-designed phrasing, imagery, and so on to change your target's mind not through your argument, but by manipulating their psyche directly (essentially, you're flash-radicalizing them, and it's implied you're using the exact same combination of techniques, such as gaslighting, love-bombing, Gish galloping, and so on).

I happen to really like this system (even though Mimetic Assault feels way the gently caress too real for my liking these days), because it gives a great feel for the scale and scope of the game. It's implied, by being included in the rules, that Inspectors may end up having to conduct (or defend against) years-long shadow wars in order to complete certain missions, but rather than actually taking up years worth of sessions, they're handled in exactly the same amount of real-world time as a fistfight (well, assuming nobody starts a smaller conflict inside the main conflict). It puts a number of big ideas into stark relief. Mainly, these are people who live for centuries, they can afford to spend a few years overhauling a society in order to resolve a patent dispute.

However, as a sidebar notes, all the rolling and Reserve in the world will not stand against Twists and Complications. Spending a Twist or taking a Complication will let you declare something that no amount of dice can countermand. If you have a high enough Theme rating, and the Twists to spend, you can declare just about anything. In fact, the book says that Themes are the absolute, hands-down, most important part of any character, and the game as a whole. Now, while I enjoy the idea of the game being run mostly on narrative convention and players voluntarily taking on problems in order to automatically succeed at the thing they really want, the fact is, the mechanics don't do very much to emphasize the importance of Themes. It feels like the writers may have been at odds to an extend on how important Themes should be, with one guy wanting a ton of other mechanics, while another wanted to make sure they had primacy, and the result is a book that seems to be at odds with itself, despite the overall functional system.

By the way, there's another sidebar that suggests that GMs pass out a handful of free Twists right before all hell breaks loose, both to help players deal with the poo poo hitting the fan, and to give them a chance to bail out unscathed (most Themes can be used to declare "I get away") if they'd rather avoid the oncoming disaster.

Themes, again

The following section expands upon what the Themes mean and how they're used, and it's basically just an even wordier version of what I typed up in the last update. It's good in terms of advice, but there's nothing noteworthy in terms of this overview.

Story Triggers

Now we get to the point where maybe things are a little overdesigned. Story Triggers are the typical GM tool for creating a broad outline for subplots the players might stumble upon, split up into four discreet segments. The Secret is the premise of what's going on, The Reveal is how the PCs learn about it, The Lever is what triggers the story's resolution, and The Effect is the long-term consequences of what the players did. This setting of specific conditions under which things happen feels like a bit too much, in terms of rule-crafting. Rules are also provided for players to spend Twists to create Story Triggers of their own, and the system for that is decent enough, though the only apparent incentive for burning all those Twists is just the satisfaction of having impacted the story, which might not be enough for some players.

Advice

The rules chapter ends with some advice to GMs on handling Themes, since they can be used to totally derail a story in progress. It mostly boils down to "roll with it, and always have a backup plan, just in case".

Next Time: All your questions will be answered! No, seriously, most of the concerns brought up by the thread will be answered by the book.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Cults: Judges

Degenesis Rebirth
Primal Punk
Chapter 3: Cults

Judges

Homeland

Do you want to be an Old West lawman, but with a hammer instead of a six shooter? Do you want to be Ray McCall that replaced the Bible with the Codex of law? Judge Dredd with a wide-brimmed hat and a leather duster? Then you're in the right place!

I can't wait to see how the writing undermines any coolness in the concept :/

The starting fluff piece is about a Judge riding through Justitian. He looks like you'd imagine him to look. Justitian, on the other hand, is a dusty shanty town – can't have have Western hammer-slingers in a place that isn't at the very least dusty. I wouldn't be surprised that the whole thing about Borca being covered by rust-dust is just an excuse to set up the terrain for cowboy-ing.

There's also a mention of a Scrapper pulling a cart of scrap through the streets. The Judge understands that there's no use in trying to get him to hurry. This little tidbit, together with the previous mentions of Scrapper hivemind, suggests that there might be more to scrappers than just looting (they’re the next cult to be covered).

The fluff piece points out the almost religious reverence the Judges give to Codex, with the dude in question keeping it in a hermetical flask and reading it to draw strength.

Our Judge joins a mounted expedition. The other dudes look like him, and rifles as well as muskets are mentioned. They're going out to crush some Cockroaches that have overtaken a ruin.

First Judge

After the Eschaton, people took to looting and pillaging with great aplomb.

First Judge posted:

Some claimed their circumstances were to blame. Centuries of ethical and moral development were gone with the wind.

I wonder what the authors mean by that.

Gangs formed and individuals were powerless against them.

The first Judge appeared in 2381, making them a relative newcomer as far as cults are concerned. It was in a fortified village near Bochum. He apprehended a Clanner that was wounded during a raid and left behind. The Judge recited the Clanner's crimes and smashed his head in with a sledgehammer using an overturned bucket as the executioner's block.

First Judge posted:

There was no axe to be found in the village.

People were shocked by this and the peasant the Judge had borrowed the hammer from did not want it back.

And thus the story of this particular Judge began. He traveled from settlement to settlement, mediating disputes between the people with “the patience of a snake waiting for its prey.” Of course, he also got to execute criminals. The book calls his judgments “merciless, but just” and his executions grim and brutal.

First Judge posted:

His trademark floppy hat, the glasses, the coat and hammer were all soon known throughout West Borca.

When you're trying to describe a dude as a badass, you probably don't want to call his hat “floppy.”

Hat: not really floppy

Despite the questionable state of his headdress, the Judge became a living legend – and a target for Clanners.

First Judge posted:

They resisted. They ambushed him, attacked him with two, three and finally four people.

Wow, they sent four actual people to ambush one dude? How did he survive?! This is some Marty Sue bullshit! :rolleyes:

Such formidable ambushes brought the Judge off his horse time and again, but he was a tough dude and always survived. Eventually, he started attracting a following of young people. At first, they just provided logistical support. Then, they rode out with him as protection.

Stone Heads

Teeny-tiny side section! When a Supreme Judge dies, he is burred – together with the codex he wrote - “in a giant stone head above head height.” You can see these heads in the Judgment Alley in Justitian.

I bet it looks goofy if they're just giant, disembodied heads. There's 23 of them at this point.

Guardians of Order

The Judge had soon attracted over 100 followers (yet didn't get the blue check mark, since Jack is a Clanner). They dressed like him and spread his word over Borca. The locals were surprisingly happy to have a wandering cowboy cosplayer preside over their disagreements and courts. They were offered food and even permanent residence. But many remembered that the first Judge was a wandering justicehobo, and went back on the road.

Hilariously enough, the Judges didn't notice when the First Judge disappeared, because they were cosplaying just that well.

Guardians of Order posted:

With their scarves in front of nose and mouth, the floppy hats and the glasses it was nearly impossible to discern one Judge from the other. Their mentor could have moved amongst them unnoticed. But his disciples wondered what new deeds the old one had done, where he might be and how he might feel. No one knew the answers. Only after months the Judges realized that their founder was not amongst them anymore.

They also understood that they didn't need him to be able to judge people.

The Testament

On December 15th, 2409, two Judges received the Testament of the First Judge from a Chronicler.

The Testament posted:

The two Judges held in their hands the First One’s travel diary, holding his collected experiences, epigrams and pages full of paragraphs. The knowledge of a holy life and the testament to his successors, collected in tiny, scratchy handwriting on greasy pages.

Soon, people used this Codex Judgestartes to base their judgments on. Others analyzed and interpreted the text. Eventually, it became the core of everything the Judges stood for.

Justitian – The Righteous Fist

Justitian started out when Chroniclers offered home next to their Central Cluster to two Judges and several of the more civilized clans. The Judges were supposed to act as a protection force from the rowdier of the new settlers.

All two of those Judges.

They fortified the hidden wells near the Cluster and started getting comfortable. Advocates, the theorcrafters of Judges, liked having a safe place to be nerds at.

'Justitian – The Righteous Fist[/b posted:

To the old-fashioned Judges who wanted to beat the word into the faces of fat criminals with an iron fist, the nascent city was a corset hindering their movement. They made the best of it, even if they disliked the centralization.

The new city was called Justitian after Justia, the goddess of justice – it was a Chronicler idea, again. Judges were, of course, prominent in the city, getting their nose into everything and counseling even when unasked.

Before long, one Judge went for the kill, that is, trying to become the leader of the Cult. Thus, Justus I became the first Supreme Judge.

Justitian – The Righteous Fist posted:

He elevated his own version of the testament to a universally valid law and called it “the Codex”. He ordered the Advocates to make laws and asked the practitioners to apply them in the field. To each his own. Internal strife he countered with a hierarchy making clear who was right in the end.

I really don't know what value judgment the book is trying to pass here.

Anyways, the Judges rode through the city, making law, while enforcers and capital-V Vagrants guarded the gates.

Eventually, The Judges came to dominate Western Borca. The survivor groups appreciated law and protection after spending years defending against rowing bands of bandits and tribals.

Next time: how do I judge poo poo?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 16, 2018

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Mors Rattus posted:

Okay, not gonna lie, the idea of a society eternally replaying the drama of the rise and fall of the Khanate as both a means to understand history and a popular tv show owns.

E: like, I would play Chagatai, Son of Temujin, Temporarily On Loan While He Pretends To Be Sick In Story.

this is going back a couple days, but yeah, you just described Piers Anthony's Steppe, a novel where the Computer who controls the great game decides that they need someone unique to play the role of Temujin, so they kidnap a 9th century Chieftan via time travel and make it seem like he has to "win" the game to avoid being sent back to the moment of his apparent demise.

https://smile.amazon.com/Steppe-Pie...L40_&dpSrc=srch

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/Steppe (warning, TVTropes link, Do not let it suck you in).

Considering some of the things, that they talk about in the game, it's kinda amazing for two reasons.

1) That this book was written in 1972.

2) Piers Anthony wrote a book that didn't skeeve me out completely.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Haqqislam

The Haqq chapters aren’t perfect. There’s still a lot of “I read about this in a book once, so it in it goes” effect, especially once we get to the organizational structure of the government and the sectorials. It’s also got a weird thing where it feels very much like the Christian Reformation. Still, it’s nothing but an upward trend from the Yu Jing section, so let’s hop to it.

Farhad Khadivar was always emphatic that he was simply a messenger, and not a prophet. Especially not a Prophet, in the doctrinaire sense. His past is shrouded in mystery, for reasons never fully explained, with the strong hint that the obvious candidates are engaging in a coverup. By his own words, “only the message, not the messenger, is of consequence.” Given that he radically redefined the entire Muslim world single-handedly, it’s also saving the authors a lot of biography and wordcount.

Haqqislam (New or High Islam, depending) holds to the basic precepts enshrined in the Quran, but divests itself of the rest of Islamic jurisprudence; it’s not quite full fledged sola scriptura, but it’s definitely focused on personal interpretation of scripture. Humanism, the Search for Knowledge (inevitably capitalized, just roll with it), and Sufi metaphysics are the dominant forces in Haqqislamite theology. Per Khadivar, “Oppressive regimes create toxic societies that produce and export nothing but hate, fear and ignorance, the three greatest enemies of Faith. Muslims must abandon the reactionary teachings of clerics and allow themselves to be guided by no one but their only sacred book, the Quran.”

You can imagine the reaction of traditional clerics to this position. Khadivar was assassinated at the age of 42, some ten years after his philosophical and theological debut. The message of Haqqislam, oriented at the downtrodden masses over those in power (and helped by what the fluff describes as one of the best PR men to ever have lived converting to the religion) spread far and fast. To escape persecution at the hands of the traditional power structure, the followers of Haqqislam sought a new home among the stars.

The practical concerns of actually forming a new nation-state and migrating its populace off the Earth and to a new planet were easier said than done, however. At this point in future history, the US is busy collapsing, and NASA in particular is reeling from the failed international effort to launch the Ariadna. Donors and sponsors across the globe contributed to the faith’s bankrolling of a new project, trusting that God would see them through to a new home, and contracting out to a desperate NASA would handle the temporal side of things.

Lacking the traditional access to the levers of power afforded the old nations or the rising PanO and State Empire, the Haqqislamites put their faith on the line. They'd have one shot at colonization, and they had to get it absolutely right the first time. Sufi astronomers calculated the recession of the stars to the date and segment of the sky over the Dome of the Rock the night the Prophet ascended to Heaven. After some failed launches to ratchet up the tension for the season finale, one wormhole probe sent to that spot punched through space and time to discover an inhabitable system.

Being able to say “My faith tells me God put our new home at this exact tiny, tiny point in the night sky” and be demonstrably right is sort of a big deal for a religion. If anything sealed the deal for Haqqislam as a modern force, the discovery of the Bourak system was it. With the money coming in from fresh converts in the wake of the discovery, the faith was able to purchase the rest of the old US space infrastructure outright. Most of the NASA staff came along as citizens in the new polity, with a substantial number converting as well.

Because nothing in Infinity is ever safe from stereotypes, planet Bourak is a mostly desert world, dry and hot due to its close proximity to a fierce sun. Early terraforming efforts are underway, and with no sign of sandworms thus far, the planet’s transformation into a new garden world is on schedule.

Haqqislam is at the least described as fiercely democratic and anti-authoriarian. How this is squared with some of the political subunits described later is beyond me, but I like it, so let’s roll with it. A civil, areligious government headed by a prime minister handles temporal affairs; the PM is advised by the council of Tariqas, a group composed entirely of women, as it’s held that speaking to power is far too important to entrust to men. There is a central religious figure, the Wali, but they’re more of a social exemplar figure than a theocrat, and they possess no specific religious authority. You get to be Wali by being the most scholastically-badass around. Since this is weird space Islamic Lutheranism, presumably the Wali is selected by getting holders of multiple PhDs together in the mosque basement and seeing who can make the best lemon bars for the bake sale.

Haqq doesn’t do computing technology or heavy industry as well as its peer nations. They are, however, the undisputed masters of biotechnology. The creation of Silk, the metamaterial that allows for resurrection via Cube would be enough to hold that claim by itself. They've also figured out how to reverse aging, beat cancer, and to genetically modify living people on the fly. Bourak is the premier spot for medical tourism throughout the Human Sphere. Doctors in particular are a focus of the religion, as it best exemplifies the Search for Knowledge in practical and philosophical terms. Perfect knowledge is divine, and while humans can never attain that level, the pursuit of it is of paramount importance. Doctors seek knowledge and put it to a practical use in the betterment of human life.

Public education is a priority for the religion and its civic counterparts. Extensive public universities, primary schools, teaching hospitals, libraries, and even orphanages for unfortunate children across the Sphere can be found on Bourak. If you can’t be a doctor, being a teacher or philosopher is often the next best thing.

Medicine along doesn’t pay the bills, however. Haqqislamite citizens operate, on the whole, the most extensive network of trade vessels and military ships to be found in human territory. They accomplished this feat by a simple logical chain - if PanO and Yu Jing were going to go big and wide into space exploration, Haqqislam would go small. The two great powers claim the most systems to their names and their corporations operate the giant starships that ply the wormhole network, but intrasystem travel and trade is the domain of the Haqqislamite trader. Something’s got to get your goods from the planet to the staging areas, and someone’s got to make arrangements for sorting and distribution, and someone else has to provide the air and food and entertainment while you wait for the megaship to show up and haul you around. Haqq traders occupy the interstices that make intersystem commerce work, and they’ve profited from it quite a bit. Traditional rules of hospitality apply, and Haqq stations are neutral ground in the struggle between great powers, which the navy and privateer forces must sometimes emphasize by force.

Haqqislamite citizens tend towards social liberalism. Because someone was going to bring it up, yes, polygamy is still a thing. So’s polyandry. The official law is that a household can consist of any combination and number of married partners, so long as the household can maintain itself financially. Because the nerds who wrote this game couldn’t help themselves, there are also space concubines and space harems. One step forward, one giant leap backward. The concubines are specifically called out as of all sorts of gender norms, for any sort of gender norm, but curiously all the art and miniatures that even get close to that territory are of sexy ladies. This issue will surely be resolved in the next supplement.

The central government is somewhat beholden to the regional governments on Bourak, while each region is competitive against its fellows, the idea being that keeping each entity busy with the other’s affairs will prevent them from amassing individual power or straying too far from the religion’s beliefs without requiring the imposition of a theocracy. Those regions are:

The Sultanate of Funduq, located around the planet’s solitary space elevator, with a strong Ottoman influence. The Sultanate is also responsible for the extra-solar territories of the faith and protecting the trade routes, which they do so with vigor. Apparently the Sultan is elected by all citizens in transparent elections. The current Sultan, Kerim Bey, has been the target of multiple assassination attempts by Combined Army operatives, to the point where everyone around him is subject to random biometric screenings.

The Caliphate of Al Medinat, comprised largely of Arabic peoples, home to the planet’s premier universities and biotech firms. They exist, and that's about all I got.

The Shanate of Iran Zhat Al Amat, overseeing the largest geographic region of the planet, the vast central desert and outlying regions that have been terraformed into paradise zones. No points for figuring out the demographics of this one.

The Khanate of Gabqar, a wild region largely untouched by the other local governments. The fiercely democratic and anti-authoritarian citizens of Bourak have allowed this place to slip into martial law.

Yeah, I don’t know either.

The general Haqqislamite armed forces are characterized by high order counts, large numbers of irregular units, mediocre physical stats, very high Willpower, and exclusive access to the best doctors in the game. They're sort of what you'd get if your primary army was a militia composed of bright, religious nerds, who have also hired a biker gang to help out with the heavy lifting.

Qapu Khalqi (the People of the Gate) are the armed forces of the Sultanate, charged with protecting the faith and commerce across the Sphere. QK forces feature higher numbers of harder-hitting soldiers, and a whole lot of mercenaries. QK is distinct from the central government's army, which we're to assume is vanilla Haqq.

You didn’t think we’d get this far without assassins, right? In this friggin’ game?

The Hassasins were formed in the immediate aftermath of the death of Farhad Khadivar. This group of mystics, scholars and soldiers banded together not only to avenge Khadivar’s death, or to protect the young religion from its enemies, but to safeguard the Search for Knowledge itself. The Hassassins most definitely act in the best interest of Haqqislam whenever possible, but also seek to protect knowledge seekers regardless of their affiliation. If that leads them to the faith, well, isn’t that a happy coincidence? They also effectively police mad science; if there’s an extinction-level threat brewing in Bakunin’s black labs, the Hassassins will attempt to root it out and destroy its creators. Likewise, they are profoundly opposed to the Evolved Intelligence of the Combined Army, which they see as the ultimate perversion of the Search. Assassins don’t have Cubes, so that nobody can datamine their corpses if they don’t succeed in their missions; being unable to get assimilated by the EI is a nice fringe benefit.

The Old Man of the Mountain leads the Hassassins Bahram. He, or she, or they, or possibly it, may or may not be the founder of the assassins, or a contemporary of Khadivar, or a chain of people possibly dating from before Khadivar himself. No one can put a face or faces to the name, and the Old Man constantly operates under disguise or via proxies. The Old Man could be a council of shadowy figures, or another AI, or it could be one profoundly intelligent and aged individual. In an ideal world, they’ll never actually tell us, but who knows what kind of bad decision Interruptor may take a fancy to?

So, mystic Sufi assassins could work for me except for one thing - they’re a government agency. I don’t know how you look at this secret society of murderers and philosophers and decide they need to be public servants, let alone ones of a society you describe as open and anti-authoritarian. If you've really got to have the society of assassins, at least throw some doubt on who's really pulling what strings. As it stands now, we get the full cliche, but none of the potentially-interesting tension that goes along with a secret society.

On the balance, I like Haqq a little better than PanO, and there’s no contest compared to Yu Jing. The ideas are there, but the execution stumbles hard in places.

Next: Haqq units, and gosh, there’s a lot of them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Y'know what, this is stupid but it isn't stupid enough to make me actively angry. Wholescale jettisoning Islamic jurisprudence is a hell of a loss and extremely unlikely to ever happen, the mixing of the Sultanate and Caliphate and Shahdom and Khanate without a firm understanding of the context of each is dumb as hell, but at least they're loving trying. I would've gone with a religiously influenced anti-authoritarian democracy, myself, just for the fact that you barely ever see them but it'd be pretty doable for something set up by Sufis.

That said, 'any number of spouses' is doctrinally wrong if they're going by-the-book Quran, I'm pretty sure. They should limit it to any combination of up to five people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am always happy to see the old idea of 'The actual acquisition of perfect wisdom is the province of the divine, yet the highest calling is to seek it anyway' because the Wisdom Interlude in Job is one of my favorite parts of the book.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The word "Judge" has lost all meaning to me after that Degenesis update

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

They should limit it to any combination of up to five people.

Fireteam: Core.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Barudak posted:

The word "Judge" has lost all meaning to me after that Degenesis update

I'm glad at least someone read it.

There's at least four more on the way.

E: Qualpu aren't that heavy on Mercenaries, but they can take a number of Nomad units. Their benefit is... that they're cheaper and they get a better gun, I guess.

Curiously enough, Infinity is a game that's very lenient on proxying. As long as the silhuette value is the same and it's produced by CB, go wild. That's why you don't have to have miniatures for every weapon combo (though they make those for heavy weapon, hacker and medic dudes, usually).

The fluff explanation is that Combirifle, the advanced standard future rifle most factions use universally (Haqq and Ariadna don't, at least on cheaper units) is, like, super modular and you can cram a lot of poo poo in it. That's why you don't have a, say, Bolt with light shotgun miniature. Or Bolt with Boarding shotgun.

Combi-rifle has better stats than rifle - more accurate in one of the range bands, but that's it.

Haven't read the RPG yet, I wonder what's the situation there.

Also, one thing about Infinity fluff: I still find it hard for myself to be drawn into it. I'll generally root for PanO (and humanity if it comes to head against aliens), but it's kinda hard to get excited about stuff or be that into it like with 40K.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 15, 2018

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'll take these guys over a thousand other attempts at Islamic factions in gaming, oh heck yes.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

I'll take these guys over a thousand other attempts at Islamic factions in gaming, oh heck yes.

Anecdote: I know an Egyptian guy who was really freaking out over Haqq. One day, he understood that he was drinking Saudi cool aid (he was studying at working in Saudi Arabia) and mellowed out, a lot.

And that's that.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Haqqislam (New or High Islam, depending) holds to the basic precepts enshrined in the Quran, but divests itself of the rest of Islamic jurisprudence; it’s not quite full fledged sola scriptura, but it’s definitely focused on personal interpretation of scripture. Humanism, the Search for Knowledge (inevitably capitalized, just roll with it), and Sufi metaphysics are the dominant forces in Haqqislamite theology. Per Khadivar, “Oppressive regimes create toxic societies that produce and export nothing but hate, fear and ignorance, the three greatest enemies of Faith. Muslims must abandon the reactionary teachings of clerics and allow themselves to be guided by no one but their only sacred book, the Quran.”

Ah yes Protestant Muslims, because everything must be made more protestant.
And the Protestant revolution wasn't a total disaster for Humanism, and the Search for Knowlede. (It was, it absolutely was.)

quote:

Lacking the traditional access to the levers of power afforded the old nations or the rising PanO and State Empire, the Haqqislamites put their faith on the line. They'd have one shot at colonization, and they had to get it absolutely right the first time. Sufi astronomers calculated the recession of the stars to the date and segment of the sky over the Dome of the Rock the night the Prophet ascended to Heaven. After some failed launches to ratchet up the tension for the season finale, one wormhole probe sent to that spot punched through space and time to discover an inhabitable system.

Being able to say “My faith tells me God put our new home at this exact tiny, tiny point in the night sky” and be demonstrably right is sort of a big deal for a religion. If anything sealed the deal for Haqqislam as a modern force, the discovery of the Bourak system was it. With the money coming in from fresh converts in the wake of the discovery, the faith was able to purchase the rest of the old US space infrastructure outright. Most of the NASA staff came along as citizens in the new polity, with a substantial number converting as well.

But this is loving ballers awesome.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Everyone knows Muslims are logical and good at math and astronomy" is technically racist, but I'll take it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Even if the execution isn't perfect, the urge to recreate the Golden Age instead of space suicide bombers both looks more fun to play with and is a much better urge as is.

Also nice to see one group whose claim to fame is medical and biotech enhancement instead of cybernetics, too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Even if the execution isn't perfect, the urge to recreate the Golden Age instead of space suicide bombers both looks more fun to play with and is a much better urge as is.

Also nice to see one group whose claim to fame is medical and biotech enhancement instead of cybernetics, too.

Wait till we get to Bakunin.

Also, Orion's Arm has biologically engineered suicide bombers.

Yeah.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

FFRRPG 4e Part 10: The Freelancer & Rogue

Freelancer
The freelancer can use points to buy class abilities and specializations, 1 point per ability......
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE MOVING ALONG.

Criticism: It exists, it is a giant pile of ways to break the system(not good) or fail points(extremely bad). At least it's got proper warning labels, and will have around half the main job abilities of a non-freelancer(though not by much).

The Rogue
The gambler and thief converge to make.....well let's see.

Level 1- Survivalist: Blah blah blah blah blah.
Specializations
!Steal: Get their common item, on a crit get their rare.
Gillionaire: An ability rather than an advantage, 25% more gp. The book tells you to be generous with interpreting this not a dick. A behemoth carcus is worth 4,000gp, you sell it for 4,250gp with 4 players. There's a 10,000gp reward and 5 players? The gillionaire argues the reward up 500gp. He sells his own old equipment? He sells it for 25% more.
Treasure hunter: Whenever you win a combat roll twice for random loot groups. ie x2 the gold&items.
This straight up is one of the best specializations in the book, it's just that a specialization. It sticks to a core theme "You get more money/stuff" and asks you how you implement it.

Level 1- Clinical Eye: Choose !Detect, !Peep, !Lucky Odds
All of these check hp/mp of monsters and something else.
!Detect: Elemental resistance/immunity/absorption/weakness.
!Peep: Status resist/immunity/weakness.
!Lucky Odds: The only one that stands out let's you look at common/rare items and swap them.
Criticism: Whitemages can get scan at level1 that does detect and peep as part of a spell school, lucky odds should just be a specialization that tweeks how your !Peep/Detect works.
Specializations
Feint: You can re-roll enemy reactions.
Fight Another Day: The difficulty of your !flee actions is 0. Ahhhhh good ol FF1 thieves only good for running.
Karma: You gain the reaction !Karma, when you are critically hit you can remove resistance/immunity/absorb of one magic element and add weakness.....Seriously? SERIOUSLY? This is dumb.

Level 15- Dice: Roll upto 5d10, do the total times*10 crush damage to an enemy ignoring m.arm, but if any Crit instead you take the damage(subtracting M.Arm). This is an ability not designed that works well with simple, one of the few. Also, this does 250 average damage when you get it so yeah it's broken until it's not. 0/10 for design.
Specializations
Arcane Trickster: +1 mp bonus, and one of the Transform, Poison, Images, Teleport, Weaken or Slow spell groups. SEE YOU CAN JUST GIVE THE MP BONUS.
!Dismantle: Hit to do inflict death on a construct, this has gotten no better.
Gambler: Gives you the quick action !Moogle Reels, attack 3 times with Water vs. (4+Highest enemy Fire), 0 hits: Confused until end of next round. 1hit: !Attack a random enemy. 2hit: 10xWater damage to all enemies. 3hits: Confuse, Slow and Poison on all enemies until end of next round. I really like how reels work in general, though moogle reels is pretty darn week, the other two are worth it.

Level 24- Invention: Is a bit complicated, when buying armor&weapons you can swap....
Monster killer/destroy to a different monster type.
Elemental damage to a different type.
Critical Spell, Spell Weave, and Arcane Focus to any spell of the same or lower level.
Resistance, Weakness, Immunity, Absorb for a physical element to a different one and likewise magical elements.
And SoS-Status, Auto-Status, Status Resistance, Status Immunity, Status Touch, Status Strike to a different status of the same or lower tier.
Now this is a much saner way to do invention, on the other hand, ahem. WHY IS IT ON THE ROGUE?!
Specializations
Steal the spotlight: You can spend allies initiative dice...this uhhhh, needs a with their permission clause. Also ON WHAT?
Lucky Number: You gain the reaction !lucky seven if your hp ends in 7 you can make a roll, miss 7 damage, hit 77 damage, crit 777 damage. Worse than 3e despite the lower numbers because this costs an action.
Abandon Subtlety: When you !Steal you can also !Attack, well mug is free, awesome.....Level 24 sucks.

Level 42- Charity's Lesson: You get !Gil toss, for every 100gil tossed you deal 1*Wind damage. This has....improved....massively. From a straight 10 for 1 to 100 for 10+ with lower base damage numbers. And this is the level's rare(ie non-buyable items) become the standard so gil becomes kind of irrelevant.
Specializations
Jackpot: Gives you !Moogle reels, 0 hits: condemned, 1hit: cura, 2hits: random 20*water elemental damage all enemies, 3 hit: Shell, protect, and haste on part until end of next round. As 3e reels don't get good until the setzer set.
Counter Theft: You can use !Steal as a reaction...even if you don't have it, mind by this point if you did take steal and abandon subtlety steal is actually pretty nice.
Steal Heart: It's quick action charm, I don't need explain that this is awesome.
.....I sense a pattern from the 3e thief emerging.

Level 60- Measured Risks: If your hp are 25% or lower you can perform one free reaction around. OH COME ON, this is the definition of specialization or secondary job material and has nothing to do with the gambler.
Specializations
Footwork: You get an extra initiative die at 10 each turn. A fine choice.
Distract: Inflicts meltdown on one enemy, sod that. Footwork or what is coming next every time.
MAGIC REELS: SWEET GOOGLY MOOGLY THIS IS GOOD. You'll roll an extra d10 over the other reels to determine what spell category to cast from. 0hits: you die the enemies heal for your hp, 1 hit: a meh spell, 2 hits: a fine spell, 3 hits: A good spell. In addition each crit gives an extra cast, you have 3 chances to crit, go wild.

Criticism: While this class way of getting gil has improved massively over it's previous version, it's still got a massive case of "High levelitis" from it's 3e counterparts still having no real abilities until high levels when it becomes able to contribute meaningfully. Well except you have dice, which kills you or kills them with no in between.

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 15, 2018

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm pretty sure based on how much of 3e was (and 4e partially is) based around having the proper equipment for the proper encounter that the rogue's invention rules are like, capital-b Busted good, if you have a good idea of what to expect you can trick everyone out so that any fight is a cakewalk. Other than that though, yeah, Rogue has a weird level curve where they don't have anything great until higher levels.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Monathin posted:

I'm pretty sure based on how much of 3e was (and 4e partially is) based around having the proper equipment for the proper encounter that the rogue's invention rules are like, capital-b Busted good, if you have a good idea of what to expect you can trick everyone out so that any fight is a cakewalk. Other than that though, yeah, Rogue has a weird level curve where they don't have anything great until higher levels.

The whole problem is there's a GM, it's not a static game. Especially with how monster creation works in 4e.
And even with gillionaire/treasure hunter you aren't going to have "An item for every occasion for every PC.", or even just the rogue. So given infinite Gil AND a GM who doesn't alter the monsters behind the screen, it is capital-b Busted.

The fact it only works when buying gear just leaves it as "Neet trick" to me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It sounds like they borrowed some elements of the Bene Tleilax and the Spacing Guild from Dune and combined them in the Haqqislam.

What is Silk, anyway? I know what it's for, and that it's organic, but do they tell you anything about how it's made, how it's actually used for the brain-mapping, and how the Haqq are able to keep the process a secret?

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

FFRRPG 4e Part11: Time Mage

Mage Job #2 time for some love from the game i suppose.

Level 1- Arcane Studies: Core Ability acquired at level 1. You can equip light armor and the following weapons: Claws / Gloves; Light Swords / Knives; Staffs; Wands. Your HP bonus is 3 times your level, the multiplier increasing by 1 at levels 15, 30 and 60. Your bonus MP is 3 times your level, the multiplier increasing by 1 at level 30.

Level 1- Astral Magic: Gain the cosmic, gravity, or teleport spell group. So Cosmic is the old Non-elemental line but now doing puncture damage, not quite non-elemental but still. Gravity is demi, right from lvl1 but you don't really need it, and teleport well it's lvl1 spell is lovely(auto flee) but every other spell is gold(party flees, ST:eject, MT:Eject) the fact that ejecting is teleportation changes up the flavor to "OUT STOP BUGGING ME" from the old "Banished to another dimension".
Specializations
Cosmic Mastery: Get another astral spell. So you know use it to get gravity or teleport to go with cosmic since those require levels to get good and cosmic is just some nice early damage.
!Phase: It's a fire vs. (4+water) dodge.
Arcane Archer: You can equip medium armor and bows. Yeah get cosmic mastery, leave the equipment tweeks to secondary classes.

Level 1- Subtle Magic: Slow, Weaken, Strengthen, Flight. Flight is terrible you can ignore it, Slow weaken and strengthen are all great.
Specializations
Subtle Mastery: It's on the tin.
Levitation: You have float always on, maybe if float DID something.
Procrastination: You gain the free reaction !Delay, once per round when a spell is cast you can delay it's effects until the start of the NEXT round. Why yes, I would like to delay my stop till the start of the next round at init tick 10. Why yes, I would like to deal that damage spell till After the white mage takes 2 actions.

Level 15- Void Magic: Speed or Meteors. Speed gives haste, meteors is the old hit random targets line doing crush damage, the choice is clear.
Specializations
Void Mastery: But I HAVE haste.
Acceleration: After casting a void spell i can reduce an init dice by 1 to a minimum of the current tick....not all dice, only when i cast haste.
Wild Magic: As a Slow(3) action you may make a spells difficulty 1d10 instead of the base. An average of 2 gained for status spells and 5 lost for damage spells. Why is this slow?

Level 30- Magical Inspiration: Regeneration, Paralysis, Divination.Well paralysis gives immobilize and disable, but i already have stop. Regeneration gives regen and mass time status clear(ewww), and divination gives me 1 reroll/round or party rerolls/round, well this is obvious.
Specializations
Inspiration mastery: Eh, i can live without regen.
Action and Reaction: At the start of each combat roll 2d10, replace any roll with these dice at any time. I'd be happy for this at 60.
Fluid Time: Roll an extra initiative die, then discard a die. It's good, but not ACTION AND REACTION good.

Level 64- Ancient Magics: Pick Old, I mean Meteor, Time Stop or Old.
Meteor- A crush element flare that doesn't ignore shell, hits for less, and if there is more than one enemy does less damage.
Time Stop- Stop on all enemies, my black mage did death, and shadow damage if they lived.
Old- Weaken GOD drat EVERYTHING, ok there we go, that's an ultimate spell.

Criticisms: Action and Reaction is capital B:Busted, there's a number of non-choices in the schools/specializations, and meteor and time stop are just bad. But it's still a mage, it's still a perfectly serviceable character.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

What is Silk, anyway? I know what it's for, and that it's organic, but do they tell you anything about how it's made, how it's actually used for the brain-mapping, and how the Haqq are able to keep the process a secret?

*shrugs in Corvus Belli*

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

"Everyone knows Muslims are logical and good at math and astronomy" is technically racist, but I'll take it.

It's a harkening back to the Islamic Golden Age in a sense and so it ends up being a little racist as a consequence of reference rather than out of stereotyping.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

It sounds like they borrowed some elements of the Bene Tleilax and the Spacing Guild from Dune and combined them in the Haqqislam.

They have gone into it a bit in the RPG. It’s described as a psuedo-fungus which interacts with some of the science-magic meta materials in the setting. Cultivated properly, it’s used for the recording side of Cubes by growing Silk networks through the body as a kind of parallel nervous system.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That reminds me of the explanation Jared Sorensen used for "Salt" in his Dune-based Burning Wheel supplement. (The spice Salt prevents aging by keeping your DNA telomeres glued together. If you don't keep up your dose, the glue dissolves and your DNA unravels quickly.)

It was Extremely Clever of them to call it "Silk" as opposed to "Spice," the other commodity we imported from the Mysterious Orient which was later used as the common name for a science-fictional immortality drug controlled by science-fictional quasi-Muslims.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

My space future drug is going to be a mixture of vIM and V.I.G.O.R.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Excuse me, why did you name your space future longevity drug "space krokodil"?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

JcDent posted:

Crocodiles are like a billion years old, must be doing something right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Do they have jezails?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

Crocodiles are like a billion years old, must be doing something right.

There is a SciFi original film about a manshark, possibly titled Manshark, which features a simply transcendant line reading. The evil villain talks to the main cast through a vid screen about how perfect sharks are before calmly asking them "Do you know how long a shark lives?" The main cast start to mumur and before anyone can say anything he cuts everyone off and full volume shrieks "NOBODY KNOWS!!!"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

JcDent posted:

"Space krokodil" sounds like something you'd find in a Heavy Metal magazine or an early Alan Moore comic. Or both.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Interstellar krokodil alligator, I fly a Chevrolet holo-theatre. Interstellar krokodil alligator, I fly a Chevrolet holo-theatre. Interstellar krokodil alligator, I fly a Chevrolet holo-theatre...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Kavak posted:

Interstellar krokodil alligator, I fly a Chevrolet holo-theatre. Interstellar krokodil alligator, I fly a Chevrolet holo-theatre. Interstellar krokodil alligator, I fly a Chevrolet holo-theatre...
Dr. Kroktagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

There is a SciFi original film about a manshark, possibly titled Manshark, which features a simply transcendant line reading. The evil villain talks to the main cast through a vid screen about how perfect sharks are before calmly asking them "Do you know how long a shark lives?" The main cast start to mumur and before anyone can say anything he cuts everyone off and full volume shrieks "NOBODY KNOWS!!!"

There are apparently Greenland Sharks that are probably over a century old.

And their maximum lifespan at least according to one article might be up to 400 years.