Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

The best grantlanders didn’t go to the ringer. I like most of the podcasts bill does tho. He’s a pro podcaster.

Who are the best Grantlanders? Because at this point like 3/4 of that staff writes for the Ringer on at least a freelance basis, and they just hired the most obviously talented of the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Molly Lambert, Wesley Morris, Charles Pierce, Alex Pappademas, Emily Yoshida, Jay Caspian Kang. To name a few.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

soggybagel posted:

Molly Lambert, Wesley Morris, Charles Pierce, Alex Pappademas, Emily Yoshida, Jay Caspian Kang. To name a few.

This and Jonathan Abrams.

Grantland wasn’t without it’s awful garbage but the balance there was wayyyy better. Also, the design of Grantland was way less obnoxious.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Zach Lowe, Goldsberry, N3twork and Shea were also great.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fairly sure felix lurked/lurks the psp threads so this could be interesting. and i think everyone likes jon bois so that's exciting.

there's a fuckload of MMA history that is super fertile ground for longform stuff. Pride-era/any of the insane kickboxing criminal stuff

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

there's a fuckload of MMA history that is super fertile ground for longform stuff. Pride-era/any of the insane kickboxing criminal stuff

there are many other candidates, but every MMA/pro wrestling fan on the planet needs to know the story of Yoji Anjoh getting his rear end beat by Rickson Gracie

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Fauxhawk Express posted:

there are many other candidates, but every MMA/pro wrestling fan on the planet needs to know the story of Yoji Anjoh getting his rear end beat by Rickson Gracie

yeah or mark hunt trying to throw that dude out the window or any of the hammer house-chute boxe stuff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pride badly needs at least one and preferably several 30 for 30s

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fairly sure felix lurked/lurks the psp threads so this could be interesting. and i think everyone likes jon bois so that's exciting.

Even early UFC is pretty wild, you could probably do multiple videos on the freakshow nature of the first few cards alone

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Even early UFC is pretty wild, you could probably do multiple videos on the freakshow nature of the first few cards alone

Marco Ruas at like 200lbs taking down 300+ lb Paul Varlens using basically nothing but leg kicks was pretty rad though.

I'm not sure I want to read about the effects on the human body the old tournament format caused though.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Lockback posted:

Marco Ruas at like 200lbs taking down 300+ lb Paul Varlens using basically nothing but leg kicks was pretty rad though.

I'm not sure I want to read about the effects on the human body the old tournament format caused though.

Keith Hackney getting punched in the nuts a half dozen times by future Austin Powers actor and convicted torturer (would have been rape but for the statute of limitations) Joe Son was pretty amazing.

Edit: Oh, forgot, he was also convicted of manslaughter for killing his cell mate in prison. Nice guy.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 14, 2018

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

You could do docs about...

-Lee Murray robbing that bank
-the McCain crusade against MMA
-Jon Jones’ parade of fuckups
-Ken Shamrock’s hosed up life
-the legend of Rickson Gracie
-PrideFC
-Diaz Brothers
-Dennis Hallman’s banana hammock
-Kimbo Slice
-Rampage Jackson

The Lee Murray one is an absolute must.

Personally, I want a good 30-40 minute doc on the Joe Riggs-Nick Diaz hospital fight

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 14, 2018

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Do a doc about the 90-minute Royce-Sakuraba fight.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

sportsgenius86 posted:

-PrideFC
-Diaz Brothers
-Kimbo Slice
-Rampage Jackson

Personally, I want a good 30-40 minute doc on the Joe Riggs-Nick Diaz hospital fight

any good resources to read about this stuff? i only know boxing stuff

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
rampage now theres a name i haven't heard in a long time

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

sportsgenius86 posted:

-PrideFC
-Diaz Brothers
-Kimbo Slice
-Rampage Jackson

Alleged tank abbot abducting toothless meth strippers with Joe Rogan.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iwentdoodie posted:

Alleged tank abbot abducting toothless meth strippers with Joe Rogan.

tank abbott's career as a barber and beard shaver

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I want a video about Emanuel Yarborough getting bodied not once but twice by way smaller dudes

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

any good resources to read about this stuff? i only know boxing stuff

the kickboxing thread in psp is honestly one of the best ever threads on the forums. there was a link in there not long ago to a guy who ran a blog about the dutch underworld which is a complete venn diagram overlap with the Dutch martial arts scene, but i can't find it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the kickboxing thread in psp is honestly one of the best ever threads on the forums. there was a link in there not long ago to a guy who ran a blog about the dutch underworld which is a complete venn diagram overlap with the Dutch martial arts scene, but i can't find it

that’s fascinating, i’ll check it out when i have time to kill

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's probably a great thread in people just retelling the ridiculous stories that orbit around their favourite sports/leagues/promotions, because god knows there's enough of them.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The Kins posted:

There's probably a great thread in people just retelling the ridiculous stories that orbit around their favourite sports/leagues/promotions, because god knows there's enough of them.

theres a thread of just the like 2015 nba offseason where marc cuban was driving around impersonating a dominos driver to try to find deandre jordan who barricaded his door in with blake griffin

that season was wild

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ramadu posted:

theres a thread of just the like 2015 nba offseason where marc cuban was driving around impersonating a dominos driver to try to find deandre jordan who barricaded his door in with blake griffin

that season was wild

like a week ago a player demanded a trade, his team refused, so he showed up to practice, yelled at management, beat the first string team with the third string team, declared that the team needed him to win, then walked out of practice and did an interview on espn about it

nba owns

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Kins posted:

Agreed.

MMA just has a different take because until very recently it was so hidden. That straight up outlaw poo poo in the early promotions (or all of the eastern European promotions still) is goddamn fascinating.

What other sport has a dude who sets records and gets shown on primetime/ppv who was basically a terrorist or at the very least supported invading terrorists? Because mma has more than one. Plus numerous murderers who were huge.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

For the podcast fans in here:

- Boston Globe is a few episodes into an Aaron Hernandez serialized podcast called Gladiator.
- Charlotte Observer has one about Rae Carruth and all 7 episodes drop tomorrow.
- SI is doing one on Steve McNair that starts on Wednesday.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

sportsgenius86 posted:

For the podcast fans in here:

- Boston Globe is a few episodes into an Aaron Hernandez serialized podcast called Gladiator.
- Charlotte Observer has one about Rae Carruth and all 7 episodes drop tomorrow.
- SI is doing one on Steve McNair that starts on Wednesday.

I'm kind of conflicted about the true crime gold rush of the last few years. It's not like people haven't been reporting on these stories for years, but seeing everyone chase the whiff of money post-Serial makes everything feel a little more transparent

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

-PrideFC
-Diaz Brothers
-Kimbo Slice
-Rampage Jackson

A full doc about the don frye vs yoshihiro takayama fight where they only punch each other in the face.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

I'm kind of conflicted about the true crime gold rush of the last few years. It's not like people haven't been reporting on these stories for years, but seeing everyone chase the whiff of money post-Serial makes everything feel a little more transparent

Carruth is timely because isn't he about to get out?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Carruth is timely because isn't he about to get out?

A week from today it looks like.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

MMA just has a different take because until very recently it was so hidden. That straight up outlaw poo poo in the early promotions (or all of the eastern European promotions still) is goddamn fascinating.
My favorite was the trainwreck that was Dynamite!! USA, wherein one fighter tested positive for methamphetamines and another for nandrolone levels so high that the laboratory tests could not accurately measure it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The Kins posted:

My favorite was the trainwreck that was Dynamite!! USA, wherein one fighter tested positive for methamphetamines and another for nandrolone levels so high that the laboratory tests could not accurately measure it.

Also an NFL player getting brutally KO'd by a comedian

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Kins posted:

quote:

The paid gate for the event was $2,545,590. However, the promoters of the event paid $2,342,500 of that to buy 39,083 tickets to its own event. The final verified paid attendance number for K-1 Dynamite stands at 3,674 which generated $203,090 in revenue.

Amazing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I feel like the stories about pro sports from around whenever the cocaine boom began in the 70's until around 2000 or so could be a 30 for 30 episode or mini-series itself. Adding cocaine to a profession filled with people paid to be aggressive was a bomb waiting to go off. You had Hollywood Henderson doing blow during SBXIII, Tim Raines being so hooked he slid head first not because of grit or whatever but to protect the stash he had hidden in his socks, Lawrence Taylor trying to snort the country of Colombia, Dan Marino, Dwight Gooden, the Johnson-era Cowboys, Steve Howe, Jamal Anderson, Robert Eddins, Oil Can Boyd, Michael Ray Richardson, Len Bias, the '85 MLB drug trial, Daryl Strawberry, Roy Tarpley, Rich Dumas, and so on.

Mind you, I use 2000 as a cap off, but you have Jose Fernandez, Jamal Lewis, whatever the gently caress Esteban Loaiza was up to, and then there's this article

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/major-league-baseball-cocaine_us_597b505ae4b02a4ebb75150b

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 15, 2018

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ramadu posted:

that season was wild
You could do an eight-hour 30 for 30 on the 2015-2016 NBA and college basketball seasons without having any dead air.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The best thing about the MLB drug trial was finding out that the Pirates mascot was one of the coke dealers.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’d watch a 30 for 30 on YAMMA pit fighting

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

soggybagel posted:

The problem with the ringer is the problem with every contemporary site. The constant need for a churning front page with new “content” everyday. Even if you dedicate months and resources for a in depth 15k word article it’s “old” after a day. Things like “instant reaction to Venom” take little effort and are basically “let’s take a slack discussion and make it an article.”

I will say it’s very fun to hear Bill Simmons ad reads because it’s this very wealthy man with insane sports connections talking about how helpful it is to use some loving ticket buying service.

That's a huge problem with a lot of these sites. No point in pushing a 2-month longform piece when those pageviews count the same as the one's for an article thrown together over lunch about which Westworld character resembles which NBA coach. I still think in the long run, quality writing is going to have to come from subscriptions.

You can already see it in the entertainment industry. Network TV is mostly junk people will consume but few would pay for. And the quality is sitting behind pay services like HBO. That leaves me a bit of hope for The Athletic.

Also I doubt The Ringer makes money on the writing side. Those podcasts though print money. It's insane how much money is out there for big podcasters.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i have to imagine that eventually the rate of podcasts being started will eventually overtake the rate of ad revenue growth and they’ll stop being profitable because that’s just the way capitalism works

the market for podcasts hasn’t even begun to be tapped out (i think it’s something like 21% of people have listened to podcasts in the past month while only 55% of americans even know what a podcast is) but it’s hard to imagine a world where it isn’t oversaturated as soon as companies can decide the best way to monetize it

i suppose the saving grace is the low barrier of entry means that people can always start podcasts even if they don’t make much off of them

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
i feel like it'll bottom out as soon as DOLLAR SHAVE CLUB goes out of business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

chunkles posted:

i feel like it'll bottom out as soon as DOLLAR SHAVE CLUB goes out of business

I still don’t understand how Sherry’s Berries can have as much money as they seem to based on advertising frequency