Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Friends at least tries to explainn how these 20somethings can afford to live where they do. Monica is illegally renting under her grandma's (or was ir aunt's) name so she's probably paying 70s rent rates and Chandler has a really high paying job so he pays for everything for Joey.

Chandler had a job making so much where during the run-up to their wedding Monica found out that his savings were insanely high, likely 6+ figures, and she wanted to spend it all on her dream wedding. Even as a kid I remember being shocked that the episode ends happily with him agreeing to drain his savings to fund her big time wedding.

Thinking back, Chandler and Ross were the only ones of the group making real money. As a Professor Ross could've made close to 6 figures depending on tenure or pay, and Chandler was some kind of finance/marketing exec? Joey, Rachel, Phoebe were all basically transients and as a chef Monica probably made a few dollars above minimum wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pentyne posted:

Chandler had a job making so much where during the run-up to their wedding Monica found out that his savings were insanely high, likely 6+ figures, and she wanted to spend it all on her dream wedding. Even as a kid I remember being shocked that the episode ends happily with him agreeing to drain his savings to fund her big time wedding.

Thinking back, Chandler and Ross were the only ones of the group making real money. As a Professor Ross could've made close to 6 figures depending on tenure or pay, and Chandler was some kind of finance/marketing exec? Joey, Rachel, Phoebe were all basically transients and as a chef Monica probably made a few dollars above minimum wage.

Monica did just fine. See also: The Hootie and the Blowfish episode.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

pentyne posted:

There's at least two sitcoms I can think of and there's probably more where a plot point is "Let's just elope instead of having a big fancy wedding!" and then one of the characters (the woman) has a change of heart and decides that they want to have a big fancy wedding after all, never mind the cost. I remember even as they aired that these plots seemed a little weird to me and boy they sure haven't aged well in the era of $25k weddings.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Chandler was some kind of finance/marketing exec?

He was a transponster.

And yeah, Monica and Ross were the worst. Who knew Joey would turn out to be the Best Friend?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Am I misremembering, or was Chandler technically a 'temp' for a long time on the show until the company he was working assumed he was an internal employee when they wanted to promote him to a higher, more supervisory position?

(I might be thinking of some other 90s sitcom)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Depressio111117 posted:

There's at least two sitcoms I can think of and there's probably more where a plot point is "Let's just elope instead of having a big fancy wedding!" and then one of the characters (the woman) has a change of heart and decides that they want to have a big fancy wedding after all, never mind the cost. I remember even as they aired that these plots seemed a little weird to me and boy they sure haven't aged well in the era of $25k weddings.

Also the obligatory "They were on a break"-mention where Rachel cut her thing with Ross because she wanted to have more good looking and less nerdy boyfriend, but the guy she was eyeing out turned out to be not interested. Ross was devastated because of their break-up, and ended up having a drunken one night stand with some random woman.

So when Rachel finally gives up and comes back and finds out about this, its Ross who was the rear end in a top hat the whole time. And for some reason everyone agrees on that.

Because Rachel left him to bone someone hotter, and she struck out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sitcom and soap opera characters with extremely ill-defined jobs is pretty standard. Animated shows are usually a bit better about this, possibly with the medium allowing them to actually show a workplace as a secondary location where for a live action show it'd have to be a new set and associated characters. (King of the Hill comes to mind, with Boomhauer as the exception and the reveal in the finale raises far more questions than it answers)

Kinda funny that the 'adult' medium is often the one with a vague and childish idea of adulthood when it comes to making a living while the 'childish' medium goes into more detail on work. That said, tends to be equally guilty of character seemingly living well above their means. Rocko has a drat nice house for a bachelor working as a comic book store cashier.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Rachel wanted a break because Ross was doing stuff like sending massive floral displays and barbershop quartets around to her workplace because he was being too clingy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought Rachel wanted a break because Ross was doing stuff like sending massive floral displays and barbershop quartets around to her workplace because he was being too clingy.

It's almost like everyone on Friends is a massively terrible human being who should gently caress off and die while we enjoy the unstable but fundamentally decent cast of New Girl.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Laterite posted:

He was a transponster.

The writers simply never bothering defining what his job was for a very long time.
Then it became a running joke that none of the characters knew what he did.
They finally got around to revealing it much later in the game when they needed a plot to revolve around it.

Barney Stimpson was similar, except that from the beginning it was decided that it would be funny that no-one knew what his job was (wonder where they got the inspiration for that)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
From a Brit pov all your TV houses are goddamn insane. Sookie stackhouse is a barmaid with a detached house on like an acre plot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

spog posted:

The writers simply never bothering defining what his job was for a very long time.
Then it became a running joke that none of the characters knew what he did.
They finally got around to revealing it much later in the game when they needed a plot to revolve around it.

Barney Stimpson was similar, except that from the beginning it was decided that it would be funny that no-one knew what his job was (wonder where they got the inspiration for that)

Barney is definitely a case where his job being mysterious is by far the funniest option. (especially fitting given he's the most out-there and crazy member of the cast who basically operates in a slightly different genre)

Interestingly, Frasier comes to mind as a show where the main character's work, home and social lives are all in quite different spheres, and the show gets a lot of mileage out of it; the eclectic staff of the radio station, Frasier's mixed family with blue-collar retiree Martin and care worker Daphne, and the wealthy snob social circles that Frasier and Niles desperately try to impress all the time. A show usually focuses on just one of the three, with one of the other two for side plots.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sloth Life posted:

From a Brit pov all your TV houses are goddamn insane. Sookie stackhouse is a barmaid with a detached house on like an acre plot.

As long as you're not in LA/SF/NYC you can get comfortable housing for the most part. California and New York alone has the same population as the entire UK.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I remember reading an article that Seinfeld's apartment was pretty much the most realistic sitcom 90's apartment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sloth Life posted:

Sookie lives in the family home, she didn't buy it herself. Things were cheaper five generations ago. :shrug:

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Sloth Life posted:

My British in laws say this all the time. A lot of these big houses (like Sookie's and Roseanne's) are in areas of America where homes are cheap because of the area. My house was only like $130,000 and has three bathrooms, six bedrooms, a workshop and a game room on an acre of land. Sookie's house is in a shithole on Louisiana so even if she bought it (she didn't) it would be like a $400 a month mortgage payment. Move out of the city and homes are affordable. The problem is most city people can't just pull up roots and that's why they get stuck paying out the nose.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Der Kyhe posted:

Also the obligatory "They were on a break"-mention where Rachel cut her thing with Ross because she wanted to have more good looking and less nerdy boyfriend, but the guy she was eyeing out turned out to be not interested. Ross was devastated because of their break-up, and ended up having a drunken one night stand with some random woman.

So when Rachel finally gives up and comes back and finds out about this, its Ross who was the rear end in a top hat the whole time. And for some reason everyone agrees on that.

Because Rachel left him to bone someone hotter, and she struck out.

Rachel wanted a chance to improve her lot in life from coffee waitress to a job in her actual field of interest which involved sacrificing some of her free time and having a hot coworker who was dating someone else and it burned Ross's tits so bad he became a creepy manipulative jealous rear end in a top hat who jumped on to the first opportunity to be unfaithful as petty revenge. At least David Schwimmer was in on the joke and played Ross as a complete and utter intentional psycho

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jedit posted:

Sookie lives in the family home, she didn't buy it herself. Things were cheaper five generations ago. :shrug:

Yeah, she inherited it from their parents. In the books, the fact that she lives in the old house while her brother has to get his own place is a big source of tension; and getting any one of her string of rich, supernatural boyfriends to pay for all the damages that are caused to it also features, if I remember correctly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

California and New York alone has the same population as the entire UK.

The UK has more people than those states combined

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's almost like everyone on Friends is a massively terrible human being who should gently caress off and die while we enjoy the unstable but fundamentally decent cast of New Girl.

I enjoy the classic Winston and Cece mess arounds

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah if you combine those two states the UK still has them beat by like 7 million or so.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Henchman of Santa posted:

And is also much smaller; the whole UK is less than half the size of California and NY state, and since hardly anyone lives in Scotland, the rest of the UK is very crowded.
UK: 242,495 km²
California: 423,970 km²
New York State: 141,300 km²

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Laterite posted:

He was a transponster.

And yeah, Monica and Ross were the worst. Who knew Joey would turn out to be the Best Friend?

Joey was a sexual predator

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

He's Joey

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Then he moved to california to dodge charges.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

Not that different from Yorkshire or non-city scotland surely? You can see the big houses in all those british shows set in....oh

fruit BOO!ts posted:

I enjoy the classic Winston and Cece mess arounds

Also this! It's so great just to see friends on tv that literally just friends, with no weird sexual tension or childhood drama. How often did Rachel and Chandler hang out, or Ross and Phoebe?

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Oct 16, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Monty Python's Flying Circus is on Netflix now, and so I'm seeing bits I've never seen before. In the first season there's a bit about Eric Idle in full redskin body-paint playing a Native American stereotype who loves theater ("Director heap good!"). I know the gag is supposed to contrast his appearance and his interests, which is predicated on the racist portrayal, and if you were to argue it has social merit, it was more relevant in1969, but still the bit went on so long it was uncomfortable.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
The thing most people forget about Monty Python is you only remember the good sketches. 90+% of the bits were either too weird or just terrible, but they threw enough of it in that there was enough cream to rise to the top.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

marshmallow creep posted:

Monty Python's Flying Circus is on Netflix now, and so I'm seeing bits I've never seen before. In the first season there's a bit about Eric Idle in full redskin body-paint playing a Native American stereotype who loves theater ("Director heap good!"). I know the gag is supposed to contrast his appearance and his interests, which is predicated on the racist portrayal, and if you were to argue it has social merit, it was more relevant in1969, but still the bit went on so long it was uncomfortable.

I've just finished the whole thing and boy, there's some uncomfortable watching in there. Series 3 episode 3 'The Money Programme' is astonishingly racist. Some of the homophobic stuff is pretty bad, too. I'm sure the vast majority is satirising then prevalent racism/sexism/homophobia but, well, you wouldn't do it like that these days.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It also was never at all intended to be the historically important phenomenon it ended up being. It was tossed off in a time slot that basically had no viewers but then people watched at that time specifically to see it. The best bits are just so insanely good and nothing as crazy had really been done before.

Its also very much a product of its times, really. Weren't anti gay laws very recently repealed at the time? Lampooning homophobia at all was a huge deal.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My wife put on Peter Pan for the kids the other night and hooo boy

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

dirksteadfast posted:

The thing most people forget about Monty Python is you only remember the good sketches. 90+% of the bits were either too weird or just terrible, but they threw enough of it in that there was enough cream to rise to the top.

Yes, this is how all good sketch shows work, really.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Reno 911 is all good baby

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

My wife put on Peter Pan for the kids the other night and hooo boy

At least now your kids know what makes the red man red.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

marshmallow creep posted:

The Carry On like ogling of nameless women in some of the Python sketches is hard to watch.

The Lumberjack sketch came up on my YouTube feed recently, and I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's still hilarious. I know it's playing up cross dressing for laughs, but it's so unexpected the way he accidentally reveals himself through a song about a masculine stereotype.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Netflix has a separate program of just the good Monty Python bits for a reason.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

EvilGenius posted:

The Lumberjack sketch came up on my YouTube feed recently, and I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's still hilarious. I know it's playing up cross dressing for laughs, but it's so unexpected the way he accidentally reveals himself through a song about a masculine stereotype.

I think it also works because it's just plain silly. It's not insulting anyone except as you mentioned the masculine stereotype.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mokinokaro posted:

I think it also works because it's just plain silly. It's not insulting anyone except as you mentioned the masculine stereotype.

One version has the chorus storm off in disgust tossing f-bombs as they go.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

dirksteadfast posted:

SNL is like this too. Even in the classic very well regarded seasons there were a poo poo ton of clunkers and duds. They're fondly remembered as better than they were because they're usually condensed into 45 minute shows for the compilations and people only remember the highlights.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Honestly I think Belushi's sketches suck and he's pretty highly regarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

Honestly I think Belushi's sketches suck and he's pretty highly regarded.

Belushi would deliberately gently caress up sketches written by women because he didn’t think ladies could be funny.

His sketches are largely meh by today’s standards, but that’s partly because he set the standard for that kind of humor. It’s pretty normal now, but was radical and new at the time.