Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

I remember the first time I ever ran into that in my first IT job; it'd been after I'd made some sort of config change for a customer, and the ticket reply I got was "Please revert back on the change". I chalked it up to poor grammar, and happily went about reverting the change, which took some amount of poo poo down without my knowing. They were not very happy.

My boss at the time thought it was hilarious and apologized for not catching it and stopping me. :shobon:

It is only thanks to £95/hr that I'm happy to put up with emails like this:

quote:

Thanks for the quote. At a meet this am. Will revert later cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kyrosiris posted:

I remember the first time I ever ran into that in my first IT job; it'd been after I'd made some sort of config change for a customer, and the ticket reply I got was "Please revert back on the change". I chalked it up to poor grammar, and happily went about reverting the change, which took some amount of poo poo down without my knowing. They were not very happy.

My boss at the time thought it was hilarious and apologized for not catching it and stopping me. :shobon:

*Holds up sign that says*

Kyrosiris did nothing wrong

stevewm
May 10, 2005

nominal posted:

Lightning damage is always completely crazy and there is always some sort of extremely improbable, borderline-unbelievable nonsense involved. That place is going to have the technological equivalent of a poltergeist for a while.

Yes it is....

We had a direct lightning strike behind one of our store locations. It exploded a tree, but it didn't actually hit the building, or any electrical infrastructure. However it still fried a bunch of stuff inside and in another building. Took out the phone system, the core network switch, 2 access switches, and a couple phones. It also took out several IP cameras and both Ubiquiti PTP wireless devices in a separate out-building (that was at least 400 ft from the strike!). The Ubiquiti equipment and IP cameras where interesting; most of the RJ45s going into the PoE switch had melted into the switch.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kyrosiris posted:

My workplace has decided on a policy of calling the customer and explicitly laying out the course of action they have proposed as we understand it at every point in the process and then emailing them to confirm before touching anything due to stuff like this. Sadly it's not a good idea to assume that the other person has a clue what they just asked for.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arquinsiel posted:

My workplace has decided on a policy of calling the customer and explicitly laying out the course of action they have proposed as we understand it at every point in the process and then emailing them to confirm before touching anything due to stuff like this. Sadly it's not a good idea to assume that the other person has a clue what they just asked for.

Yeah, this was at a small potatoes dedicated server hosting company back in the early 2000s; something like that wouldn't fly where I'm at now. Luckily I'm older and supposedly wiser.

But yeah, it was just such a hilarious thing to me at the time. The ticket update came like five minutes after my "all done, you should see the changes in effect" update, and I never would've considered it meant "hey, explain what you did", especially since I'd spelled that out earlier in the ticket.

A month into the industry and I had my first "revert back" and "needful". :v:

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I just got my first "revert" the other day; luckily it wasn't in any context that would lead me to revert changes. Thankfully due to my SA IT lurking I was able to determine its meaning.

Considering I've never actually used the phrase in that context before this thread, I still believe it's only used by people who don't know English or as an SHSC-specific version of "do you have stairs in your house".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MisterZimbu posted:

I just got my first "revert" the other day; luckily it wasn't in any context that would lead me to revert changes. Thankfully due to my SA IT lurking I was able to determine its meaning.

Considering I've never actually used the phrase in that context before this thread, I still believe it's only used by people who don't know English or as an SHSC-specific version of "do you have stairs in your house".

I am reverted

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Renegret posted:

I am reverted

You have done the needful

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

MisterZimbu posted:

I thought that was the case too until this lawyer fella

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If I made a change and somebody told me to "revert" I would undo it immediately. Words have loving meanings.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MisterZimbu posted:

You have done the needful

I have reverted the needful.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

It is only thanks to £95/hr that I'm happy to put up with emails like this:

I'd ask for more...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/12/magazine/on-language-doing-the-needful.html

People have been confused/charmed/outraged by Indian English forever.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Can one revert something that has already been reverted?

:thunk:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zil posted:

What does GOD need with a SPACE--

Oh, sorry. Wrong thread.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just the butt was the 'best value'.
There's a cloud metajoke here.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Zil posted:

I've had chains of at least 3 of these on pull requests.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

AlexDeGruven posted:

My neighbor's house 3 doors down took a direct hit once and it fried the WAN port on my router.

stevewm posted:

Yes it is....

We had a direct lightning strike behind one of our store locations. It exploded a tree, but it didn't actually hit the building, or any electrical infrastructure. However it still fried a bunch of stuff inside and in another building. Took out the phone system, the core network switch, 2 access switches, and a couple phones. It also took out several IP cameras and both Ubiquiti PTP wireless devices in a separate out-building (that was at least 400 ft from the strike!). The Ubiquiti equipment and IP cameras where interesting; most of the RJ45s going into the PoE switch had melted into the switch.

Always remember that most lightning jumps at least a mile of entirely non-conductive gas to hit the ground. The potential radius for (especially frail electronics) damage is quite large once it contacts any system of interconnected conductors.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I asked the lawyer why he says "revert", and his response was "I'm always a fan of using one word instead of five", which doesn't actually clear up where he got it from.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

I asked the lawyer why he says "revert", and his response was "I'm always a fan of using one word instead of five", which doesn't actually clear up where he got it from.

A lawyer said that?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

A lawyer said that?

It's amazing, it's a husband and wife who're both lawyers, and are together founding a startup that they've contracted me to do the code for, and so far they've both been lovely and helpful and clear, with an emphasis on keeping it simple.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's amazing, it's a husband and wife who're both lawyers, and are together founding a startup that they've contracted me to do the code for, and so far they've both been lovely and helpful and clear, with an emphasis on keeping it simple.

Bet they either
a) never pay you or
b) sue you

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

spog posted:

Bet they either
a) never pay you or
b) sue you

They've paid every invoice within 24 hours. Model clients.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
When I was doing cable, back when CRT TVs were still a common thing, I had a "customer's cable box is fried from lightning" ticket out in the suburbs. I get there and the guy shows me a straight-up crater in the easement near the corner of where 4 lots came together. Big yards, each of the houses was probably a good couple hundred feet from the blast. It was probably a good four feet around, maybe six inches deep in the middle. You could see lines radiating out from the center where it just blew dirt into the air.

Some other neighbors came out and wanted to know if I was with the cable company. Turns out they ALSO had trouble calls for lightning damage. So I grabbed them all, because it beats just getting sent these calls later when I'm already on the other side of town or something.

I worked three of those four houses and all of their cable boxes and house wiring were testing fine. All of their televisions were rainbow'd from EMP magnetization. On the one hand I felt bad for them, but on the other I was thinking "That is badass as gently caress."

My favorite part about lightning damage as a cable guy was that the cable boxes actually fried fairly rarely, especially once we started using those simple little DTA boxes. Those power supplies would pop at the drop of a hat, so I'd usually just have to replace a house full of power cords while the actual device would just keep on movin'. It drives customers NUTS if you don't switch their devices, though, so depending on the customer sometimes we'd have to swap out a box just for show. But yeah, usually? It's just going right back into stock once the warehouse guys shake the roaches out of it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tactlessbastard posted:

A lawyer said that?
In a second billable email, yes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

These motherfuckers use Slack.

They’re learning.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

They're evolving

Soon, it will be too late. You must--

*static noises*

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Even with all the modern tech lawyers will make Word cry in ways I didn't think was possible. Also their stupid need to have everything in one document and then they wonder why Word & Acrobat start going bonkers dealing with 2500 page files.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Will this post fix the stuck one

Edit: Word

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thants doing the needful

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

this revert chat really hosed me up so I googled it

:negative:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Fckng brevty.

Y ppl no use cmplt sntncs?

its not lk we use phnes w tchpds frm da 90s nemore. Dis is nt twttr also.

loving use complete sentences, punctuation and correct grammar in support cases you dimwits.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Agrikk posted:

Fckng brevty.

loving use complete sentences, punctuation and correct grammar in support cases you dimwits.

U mad?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

K

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Agrikk posted:

Fckng brevty.

we have one t1 agent who types like this//no punctuation or caps but just slashes between any thought//usually a stream of consciousness from the user//took about 6 months to get them out of aol texting mode to actually understand their tickets//they still use the slashes though

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

Fckng brevty.

Send that poo poo back and tell them to use all their big-person words.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Agrikk posted:

Fckng brevty.

If someone sent me a l33tsp3ak email I'd flatly tell them to rewrite it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"No task found, closing ticket".

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Arquinsiel posted:

"No task found, closing ticket".

Recommended user call 911 for seizure symptoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My supervisor sends me emails like that. Combined with his reluctance to read manuals I wondered for awhile if he was literate.