Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

i mean, python can do that too and isn't nearly as ugly

I agree 100%. I’m just tying to remember any use case for Perl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
the much-touted tmtowtdi-ness of perl & especially the mode of writing it where everything operates on the implicit argument made it a really non-uniform language, which hurt its reputation

being able to write it "like shell script!" is a bad thing for long-lived code

(says the motherfucker who wrote production MATLAB)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

akadajet posted:

i haven't done any serious perl for over a decade now, but working with regexes in perl was so much nicer than regexes in python

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

akadajet posted:

but some people get really upset about white space

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

duz posted:

but some people get really upset about white space

I really loving hate functional white space, ok?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I was writing perl way past its prime purely because I was annoyed at the lovely postgres driver situation in python that seemingly only got resolved fairly recently

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

perl will always have a special place for me, because it was my first professional p-lang. I also have never found anything that could process multi-gigabyte text files as quickly as perl (except for maybe barebones C). It really is dreamy for text processing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

I was writing perl way past its prime purely because I was annoyed at the lovely postgres driver situation in python that seemingly only got resolved fairly recently

psycopg is good and cool.
SQLAlchemy is also pretty good for very different reasons.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
perl is good if you're writing something that you know someone you hate will have to maintain

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Main Paineframe posted:

perl is good if you're writing something that you know someone you hate will have to maintain

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

the naming of endiannesses seems backwards to me

so we have a a system where the “big”, most significant bytes are towards the end of a stream of bytes, or higher memory, and it’s called little endian

and then if the big bytes are right at the start of a stream of bytes, or right at the first, lowest memory address, it’s called big endian

some neckbeards from 70 years ago decided that the word “end” means the start of something. maybe I should be glad my brain works the opposite way from theirs

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

DuckConference posted:

the naming of endiannesses seems backwards to me

so we have a a system where the “big”, most significant bytes are towards the end of a stream of bytes, or higher memory, and it’s called little endian

and then if the big bytes are right at the start of a stream of bytes, or right at the first, lowest memory address, it’s called big endian

some neckbeards from 70 years ago decided that the word “end” means the start of something. maybe I should be glad my brain works the opposite way from theirs

i think it has to do with some work of fiction where there are two factions, split about how they eat eggs.

the big-endians eat the big end of the egg first and the little-endians eat the little end first.

ergo, little-endian -> "least significant byte first", big-endian -> "most significant byte first"

e: yup, it's a gulliver's travels reference. also "MS byte first" and "LS byte first" are way less ambiguous phrases

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Spime Wrangler posted:

ctps: plotly es6 vuejs babel webpack npm django python2 matlab

ctps: goddamnit this actually works really good once you get it going

setting up the toolchain was complete poo poo though, and having to integrate six new tools at once to make the simple step from static django templates to something minimally reactive and modern is a pain in the dick

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Spime Wrangler posted:

ctps: plotly es6 vuejs babel webpack npm django python2 matlab

Spime Wrangler posted:

ctps: goddamnit this actually works really good once you get it going

setting up the toolchain was complete poo poo though, and having to integrate six new tools at once to make the simple step from static django templates to something minimally reactive and modern is a pain in the dick

what're you doing with all this? some kinda webapp with niceish design that involves generating graphs I assume

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yeah its just a decent-looking interface to some legacy matlab code that will probably get replaced eventually.

The app is mostly a reactive plot that describes the underlying model to be simulated and a different plot showing the simulation results once they're run. Really nothing fancy at all but it looks a lot better when doing live demos for clients and makes for a decent development path away from matlab's extremely expensive walled garden.

Having spent most of my life running scripts to generate static plots it's pretty wild having them update in realtime as you type numbers into a box.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fritz posted:

i haven't done any serious perl for over a decade now, but working with regexes in perl was so much nicer than regexes in python
yeah, python spills onto multiple lines and makes you cart around the re, perl would let you do awful regex things with a paucity of syntax

DuckConference posted:

both times i was taught the concept, the prof asked if there was an "obvious" right way, to which 100% of the students raised a hand, then asked if it was big or little, and got a 50-50 split

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol imagine thinking little-endian is right

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ugh I'm cursed by my own object model. list<IButt> with standard templates for rendering each butt is all well and good until the butts need to be rendered in a very specific non-generic way

so now I either fudge it which will probably introduce some horrid dependency on magic strings or crap out loads of IButt implementations that all look exactly the same which defeats the point

if only I could drink on the job

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Heh, look at this scrub who doesn't WFH. :smug:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

prisoner of waffles posted:

wrote production MATLAB

goondolences

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i moved on ages ago but i’ll always have a soft spot for perl. it’s a fun language, and mojolicious is still a really nice web framework.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Let's pour one out for webdev of old... here's to you, cgi-bin

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ugh I'm cursed by my own object model. list<IButt> with standard templates for rendering each butt is all well and good until the butts need to be rendered in a very specific non-generic way

so now I either fudge it which will probably introduce some horrid dependency on magic strings or crap out loads of IButt implementations that all look exactly the same which defeats the point

just make a new IButt wrapper that takes another IButt and changes the way it gets rendered. or maybe swap to Tuple<IButt, Nullable<IButtRenderingOptions>> or something if you don't want to touch ibutt itself

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

and to you, joomla

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dont look at me like that, im only 26

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c tp s: im in data science and was asked today how much time would it take me to develop "mission critical" part of our architecture in a hypothetical new product

time to see where belize actually is

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

gonadic io posted:

just make a new IButt wrapper that takes another IButt and changes the way it gets rendered. or maybe swap to Tuple<IButt, Nullable<IButtRenderingOptions>> or something if you don't want to touch ibutt itself

Composable IButtStuff ITT

E: I meant to say, yes, this is a very good idea. especially if rendering is a concern orthogonal to IButt-ness you should use the IButtRenderingOptions

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 16, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

gonadic io posted:

yeah I think wrapping the render layer is the easiest solution. there is actually already a wrapper because some of the IButt implementations parent other IButts (it's Butts all the way down boys!) so I can put any magic strings based on properties of the collection items into the view template for the parent butt

or something. probably I'll do it three different ways and then throw it away and do it again

E: I meant to say, yes, this is a very good idea. especially if rendering is a concern orthogonal to IButt-ness you should use the IButtRenderingOptions

this works if I can pull the rendering option from a property of the Butt which.... Hmmm. maybe.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 16, 2018

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

cinci zoo sniper posted:

c tp s: im in data science and was asked today how much time would it take me to develop "mission critical" part of our architecture in a hypothetical new product

Just east of Guatemala. If you tell them you're a computer toucher, they give you a free scat hammock.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

wrote production MATLAB

Bloody posted:

goondolences

It was surprisingly not bad, mainly because it was replacing something written in a way worse language. The keystone of the style I started using came from a tiny bit hugely helpful function (that took a SQL query and returned a structure array, 1 row per row in the result set with the same structure fields as column names in the query) that biased me towards lots of use of struct arrays and plenty of cellfun / arrayfun. Basically functional data-oriented programming (Clojure-style MATLAB?), which is not at all inappropriate for report generation.

Spime Wrangler posted:

Yeah its just a decent-looking interface to some legacy matlab code that will probably get replaced eventually.

The app is mostly a reactive plot that describes the underlying model to be simulated and a different plot showing the simulation results once they're run. Really nothing fancy at all but it looks a lot better when doing live demos for clients and makes for a decent development path away from matlab's extremely expensive walled garden.

Having spent most of my life running scripts to generate static plots it's pretty wild having them update in realtime as you type numbers into a box.

Hmm if I get this new job I'm going to be helping one project that's vaguely like that, I'm kind of wishing that you will be my future coworker

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

They call it "AWS Lambda" now.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this lead me down the path to eventually be fired from my awful startup job

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Compostable

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

this lead me down the path to eventually be fired from my awful startup job

i quoted estimate of 3 full time weeks of my time + a month of full time of a full development team with overall prototype delivery in 2 months, which should be good enough to ward these thoughts away

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i quoted estimate of 3 full time weeks of my time + a month of full time of a full development team with overall prototype delivery in 2 months, which should be good enough to ward these thoughts away

“that’s nice but instead here’s 16 hours. we’re an agile company :downs:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Boiled Water posted:

“that’s nice but instead here’s 16 hours. we’re an agile company :downs:

you've got a day to deploy an mvp with all the features and all the scaling into production

don't worry it's an mvp though

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

gonadic io posted:

you've got a day to deploy an mvp with all the features and all the scaling into production

don't worry it's an mvp though

haha "mvp" is all our project managers favourite buzzword this year.i don't think a single one has been delivered yet

the other is "we need to establish what 'good' looks like" which usually gets followed by a good 6 hours of meetings that achieve nothing

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?

Symbolic Butt posted:

current q report: working with dates feels really nice but q is hella weakly typed so this is biting me a lot

Fun fact: this works with other handles as well:
code:
q)1 "lol\n" / 1 is the handle for stdout - lol printed directly to console, "function" returns 1
lol
q)x:read0 0 / 0 is stdin
stuff
q)x
"stuff"
q is something else.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

haha "mvp" is all our project managers favourite buzzword this year.i don't think a single one has been delivered yet

the other is "we need to establish what 'good' looks like" which usually gets followed by a good 6 hours of meetings that achieve nothing

we had a fun period of time where the product team would push us to plan an 'mvp' and 'mvp 2'

now it's 'day 1', 'day 2'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Still don't understand why people use vue instead of react

Protip redux is poo poo but nobody is forcing you to use it, it's a totally independent thing