Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Link the article please. It’s something I’d like to read.

You got it friend!

https://tvline.com/2018/10/15/arrow-recap-season-7-episode-1-premiere-flash-forward-william-roy/

That was my favorite premiere of Arrow in YEARS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Yeah, Roy has gray hair and old man makeup wrinkles. Definitely more than 5 years.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Getting Vinny Jones, Michael Jae White, and Cody Rhodes together, along with not having Oliver break out in the first 30 minutes, made this episode way more ambitious and interesting than I was expecting. Solid premiere, reduced slightly by Diaz getting run off after being effectively threatening by Argus off-screen.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Overall, I thought it was a pretty good premiere episode. Anyone have any ideas for a new thread title?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

That was an appropriately brutal prison shower fight.

Show almost went full Eastern Promises there.

That was the best non-Slade episode of Arrow in years.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yo I thought that premiere loving ruled.

Agreed but how will they end up screwing up the rest of the season

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhyteRyce posted:

Agreed but how will they end up screwing up the rest of the season

They doubled down on Diaz.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

They doubled down on Diaz.

Earth 2 Diaz?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

Earth 2 Diaz?

The only way to beat Diaz is more Diaz.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Earth 2 Diaz?

Oh dios mio, los gemelos Diaz!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Earth 2 Diaz?

Diaz has Earth One already.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

Diaz has Earth One already.

Booooo. Booooooooooooo

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Who was the actor playing the guy in the coffee shop? He looked super familiar, but I fast forward through the opening and closing credits religiously so I missed the name.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hatelull posted:

Who was the actor playing the guy in the coffee shop? He looked super familiar, but I fast forward through the opening and closing credits religiously so I missed the name.

This geezer?
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5932094/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t9

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yup, but not really who I thought it was after all. I had it my head he was more recognizable and was going to end up being a minor plot point in the season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hatelull posted:

Yup, but not really who I thought it was after all. I had it my head he was more recognizable and was going to end up being a minor plot point in the season.

"Still got it" Yeah Felicity you look like a million bucks in dunagrees and peircings... shocker.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Don't forget the punk rock highlights.

I found it clumsily weird the way the "tense cliff hanger" between Diaz and Felicity ended. One moment dude is standing over her with a knife saying "you're going to suffer for that beating with a fireplace poker" and the next scene she's walking in to the visiting room somewhat battered? I guess the throwaway line of "ARGUS got there just in time" wasn't enough for me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hatelull posted:

Don't forget the punk rock highlights.

I found it clumsily weird the way the "tense cliff hanger" between Diaz and Felicity ended. One moment dude is standing over her with a knife saying "you're going to suffer for that beating with a fireplace poker" and the next scene she's walking in to the visiting room somewhat battered? I guess the throwaway line of "ARGUS got there just in time" wasn't enough for me.

Maybe Diaz tracked her down from her coding signature javscript power move.

I'm throwing that out there for a hail mary guess.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

Maybe Diaz tracked her down from her coding signature javscript power move.

I'm throwing that out there for a hail mary guess.

Yeah, I mean I'm fine with him tracking her down. It was sort of a nice misdirection since the it happens at the beginning of the episode in what is a pretty obvious dream sequence. Having it all resolved off camera with dialog was weak sauce. He has supernatural teleportation powers I guess, if ARGUS managed to save Felicity but yet he's still "on the loose?"

I get it. Diaz wins. Always winning. He never stops.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vietnamwees posted:

Anyone have any ideas for a new thread title?

We're the flashbacks now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hi Grunkle Roy. I'm Dipper.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We're going full Lost. First Flashbacks, now Flash-forwards. soon, flash-sideways

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every time there's a flashforward Barry should run across the screen as a transition wipe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Every time there's a flashforward Barry should run across the screen as a transition wipe.

Big dramatic Island moment, Barry runs in. "Hey guys. Uh, I know I said time travel is bad and never do it, but Grodd's tearing the city apart. Do either of you know where he left his keys back in 2018? No? Sorry to bother you."

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Run, Ollie, Run!

https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/1052227461650337792

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At least Amell has the right chin for that mask.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm not up on a much of the major DC events. How does Elseworld different from the Infinite Earth stuff? Is this just a different flavor of "alternate universe/timeline characters where expectations are flipped" (this Ollie is really all about crossbows and sling shots) or s it a different thing entirely? I mean, I guess the flash forward stuff we're getting where Ollie is implied Dead in the future could tie back to this but it seems like they did alternate reality last year.

Any one got a Cliff's Notes summary of what the comic run was?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Elseworlds wasn't a storyline, it was an imprint. Elseworlds stories were just ones that didn't take place in the normal continuity of the monthly comics going on at the time.

They were all technically canon because every DC story is canon with the whole multiverse thing, but they were essentially DC's What Ifs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was a solid premiere but I am discouraged to tune back in because I just can't stand Felicity any longer.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

I skipped the back half of the season last year. I think the last I saw Ollie found out Rene was the one who betrayed him to the FBI. What did I miss?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I would watch this.

Variant A:
The Allens are from Starling City instead and while Barry's dad gets framed for murdering his mom, it's by organized crime and dirty cops including maybe Mob boss, Eobard Thawne. Barry is on a plane for a CSI conference in Asia which ends up crashing and he ends up in Lian Yu. Queue all the events of the Arrow Flashbacks except it's Barry instead of Oliver.

The Queens reside as part of the upper crust in Central City. Harrison Wells unveils his new Particle Accelerator with generous donations from both the Merlyn and Queen families and their companies. Ollie is at a rooftop party during the unveiling and as the accelerator explodes, he's drunkenly climbing a lightning rod which gets struck.

Variant B:
Ollie becomes the Flash of Starling City as Wells/Thawne sets up his Accelerator there instead of Central City and Merlyn sabotages the accelerator as part of the Undertaking. Ollie goes into a five year coma and wakes up as the Fastest Man alive.
Barry's father is still killed, but as the leads grow colder and colder and his obsession with finding his father's killer deepens, he decides to become someone else. Something else. Guns leave powder residue and bullets can be traced. Arrows? Not quite.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 16, 2018

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I would totally watch an angsty pissy flash who carries the world on his shoulders (quickly) while Arrow is super upbeat and full of quips and nerd references.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Variant C: Oliver is still going to have crashed on Lian Yu, but he just trains to run really fast, beyond the limits of conventional human capacity. Barry still got particle accelerated, but he got superhuman accuracy instead.

Most boring variant: this other universe is exactly the same as the Arrowverse except the actors and possibly character names were just traded around.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BobbyDrake posted:

I skipped the back half of the season last year. I think the last I saw Ollie found out Rene was the one who betrayed him to the FBI. What did I miss?

Diaz got some characterization way too late (poor kid on the criminal totem pole who wanted this really badly and has such a solid plan because he's been dreaming it up for years and is willing to do anything to get it) that then got abandoned again for magical "Diaz has already won and people are terrified of him who could easily put a couple of bullets in his back" super-criminal powers. Alt-universe Laurel played double agent getting into Lance's blind spot thinking she could reform, publicly came out as "Laurel" with some flimsy story about not dying. And... um, the arrow-vigilante who wasn't Prometheus can't recall his name... was Dinah's former partner who got some healing abilities from the particle accelerator. He was a mole in Diaz's organization.

So anyway, there's a whole bunch of drama and double/triple crosses and "who can we trust" stuff. Diaz kills Lance, Laurel kills the partner (he could heal faster, but not fast enough), Dinah went aggro for a while until Olly talker her down, everyone sorted out their issues enough to work together. Diaz lost, and when Ollie was about to kill him Laurel screamed him off a building (actually called out in-episode as "you idiot we could've killed him in full view with an actual body, now he probably survived that"). Laurel becomes mayor, Ollie confesses to the feds in exchange for immunity for everyone else, Dinah becomes the new police chief, and that's about it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bruceski posted:

And... um, the arrow-vigilante who wasn't Prometheus can't recall his name...

You sure about that?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

howe_sam posted:

You sure about that?

Was he just The Vigilante? Too many hooded bow-users.

E: wait he used guns. Bah.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Diaz got some characterization way too late (poor kid on the criminal totem pole who wanted this really badly and has such a solid plan because he's been dreaming it up for years and is willing to do anything to get it) that then got abandoned again for magical "Diaz has already won and people are terrified of him who could easily put a couple of bullets in his back" super-criminal powers. Alt-universe Laurel played double agent getting into Lance's blind spot thinking she could reform, publicly came out as "Laurel" with some flimsy story about not dying. And... um, the arrow-vigilante who wasn't Prometheus can't recall his name... was Dinah's former partner who got some healing abilities from the particle accelerator. He was a mole in Diaz's organization.

So anyway, there's a whole bunch of drama and double/triple crosses and "who can we trust" stuff. Diaz kills Lance, Laurel kills the partner (he could heal faster, but not fast enough), Dinah went aggro for a while until Olly talker her down, everyone sorted out their issues enough to work together. Diaz lost, and when Ollie was about to kill him Laurel screamed him off a building (actually called out in-episode as "you idiot we could've killed him in full view with an actual body, now he probably survived that"). Laurel becomes mayor, Ollie confesses to the feds in exchange for immunity for everyone else, Dinah becomes the new police chief, and that's about it.

That’s... uh.. wow. Not too sad I skipped it then cause that sounds terrible. Should I give this season a chance? The season always starts good but turns to poo poo halfway through.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

BobbyDrake posted:

That’s... uh.. wow. Not too sad I skipped it then cause that sounds terrible. Should I give this season a chance? The season always starts good but turns to poo poo halfway through.

I think it depends on how long they keep Ollie in super max. If they keep him in there for half a season, the melodrama might get too grating. Letting him out free and clear to take down the long bow dudes and get back to some "crime of the week" stuff might be fun. However, the overarching "Future Oliver is missing (maybe along with Future Flash?) and Roy apparently got dumped by Thea and turned into a weird recluse eating beans and forest animals out of can in the shittiest island with an underground prison known to man" flash forward plot might just be too much for you if the last season didn't do you right.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I totally forgot Vinnie Jones' character was still alive. I could've sworn he died. Good to see him again though.

hatelull posted:

it happens at the beginning of the episode in what is a pretty obvious dream sequence. Having it all resolved off camera with dialog was weak sauce. He has supernatural teleportation powers I guess, if ARGUS managed to save Felicity but yet he's still "on the loose?"

I get it. Diaz wins. Always winning. He never stops.

Uh oh, watch out Diaz, magical teleportation powers are the first symptom of turning into a total non-threat. Next you'll be yelling about BEING RA'S AL GHUL and teaming up with Oliver for random bullshit.

I really liked that they actually showed that everybody had moved on in one way or another. After the season 6 intro instantly defusing the S5 "everyone got blown up!" cliffhanger with a weak "Actually no", I expected this season to have Oliver in jail for like one episode and show the whole rest of the team getting the band back together. I know it's gonna happen eventually but I'm glad it took at least a bit of time.

Rhyno posted:

That was a solid premiere but I am discouraged to tune back in because I just can't stand Felicity any longer.

I actually liked her... and then she started cry-talking again and I thought my eyes were going to roll out of my head.

Anyway, speculation: Oliver's pathetic next-cell neighbor is totally gonna turn out to be some secret Diaz/other villain spy or be some big villain himself. Whatever way it is, that little dude is gonna turn heel and try to shank Oliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just gonna say it now, I think Felicity looks pretty cute with the highlights in her hair.

Also, do you guys think Ra's Al Ghul is gonna be in the big crossover event? I mean he is traditionally thought of as a BATMAN villain.