Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
One of the articles about it said it'll work with the Sega CD, I wonder how that'll hook up or if it has enough power for the extra hardware and will run images off an SD card. I didn't see any mention of the 32x though.

Maybe someday when the site comes back up, it'll have that info.

[edit]This article has more.

Short version - the Sega CD connects normally to the edge connector, the 32x is no-go right now. If I remember, it actually did something weird with overlaying the 32x's images on top of the Genesis' images via the video cable, and I guess that won't work with digital. But they're thinking about ways around it.

Now I just wonder how it'll look sitting on top of my Model 2 Sega CD, hopefully it's close to Genesis 2 sized.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008
I am a whore for Analogue's FPGA consoles, but at this rate I should've just bought a friggin' Framemeister and been done with it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TVs Ian posted:

One of the articles about it said it'll work with the Sega CD, I wonder how that'll hook up or if it has enough power for the extra hardware and will run images off an SD card. I didn't see any mention of the 32x though.

Maybe someday when the site comes back up, it'll have that info.

Apparently it has connections for you to hook a Sega CD into it and they're still working on 32X stuff. I totally want one of these for Master System stuff though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Tryke posted:

I am a whore for Analogue's FPGA consoles, but at this rate I should've just bought a friggin' Framemeister and been done with it.

:emptyquote:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I already have like 5 Geneses across 4 models so I’m not going to pick this up, especially since it can’t do 32x or CD on its own. It does look really good though and I’m glad now people just starting the hobby will have an easy answer to the “how do I play sonic in my he tv” that doesn’t involve a scaler.

Though the cost of a framemeister seems lower than buying 2 analogue consoles now.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Tryke posted:

I have a Framemeister and a modded Genesis, and I'm still considering buying this.

If it gets hacked to play Sega CD games off of an SD card, I'm sold.

Also, TG-16 when?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

:f5:

I'm also seeing something about there being a Game Gear adapter? How many Sega systems are we going to be able to play on this thing? Maybe a stupid question, but is this going to require multiple flash carts?

Saw this the other day, hard for me to justify the price especially knowing we are finally getting an Analogue Sega console: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=fpga

I have some mild nostalgia for the ColecoVision, maybe if I were made of money I would pick one up as well.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They're going to do adapters later on, right now it comes with a master system one.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Coming with the Master System adapter is cool, and since the adapters are only $10 each the Game Gear one is a no-brainer to pick up once that's a thing. It's like having a Super Gameboy for my Genesis :allears:

The Super NT was an easy buy for me since I've got a ton of SNES games, but my Genesis library is a lot smaller so I'm probably going to wait and see what they do about 32X stuff and how well the Sega CD stuff plays out before really thinking about getting one of these. I'm not a fan of having to use the original Sega CD with this since those are all pretty old and many aren't working well anymore, but I guess it's hard to make something to solve that problem.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tryke posted:

I have a Genesis 2 and a OSSC (and my Mega EverDrive is arriving on Wednesday), and I'm still considering getting this. The Game Gear adapter is icing on the cake, because I was just about to go down the rabbit hole of LCD-modding my current Game Gear.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sega CD and Game Gear support?

Now i'm intrigued.

Also, the SMS support should theoretically allow SG-1000 games, since iirc an Everdrive on a stock Genesis will play SG-1000 roms.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Silhouette posted:

Sega CD and Game Gear support?

Now i'm intrigued.

Also, the SMS support should theoretically allow SG-1000 games, since iirc an Everdrive on a stock Genesis will play SG-1000 roms.

The Genesis doesn’t have the SG-1000 chip but it can play them on the Master Everdrive in a SMS.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wonder if they solve the nightmare of the Genesis soundchip. Finding the right model with good sound makes this sound like a better alternative.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Chainclaw posted:

I'm excited to see all the positive response to this! I also posted a different cut to the Warhammer thread, which you can find here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3823939&perpage=40&pagenumber=1254#post488893102

I typed up about half of my process and then bumped the page back button and lost it. Basically I took a screenshot, split it into layers, loaded it into Inkscape, built vectors around the edges, and then sent it to my laser cutter.

For color, I went with B&W Gameboy here because I thought the grayscale would work great with the laser cutter. The main problem with color is it becomes a huge time factor. These didn't take too long to cut or assemble, but doing any sort of finishing, like the stain in the other photo, adds a ton of time to processing these. I might make a few to see how they come out.

As for selling these, not sure yet. I'll see about making a few more. This was a sort of experiment between making myself some Warhammer supplies, but people seem to like it a lot so I might try something out.

Great catch! Thanks for pointing it out, it would suck to make a bunch of these and have that defect. I've changed my emulator settings so my next cuts will come out better.

I would put these up on my sons wall. I got him into retro games, I was sick of him playing the new generation of games, there is nothing like the games we grew up on, somewhere developers really lost the art of making fun games that are simple yet complicated enough for strategy and reaction timing. Too much emphasis on graphics it seems and tons of buttons and combinations to do things. He has fun with some new games too but the amount in retro is by far more substantial. He digs the pixelated graphics and these would fly real good with him and hanging on his wall! Excellent project my man!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
They list a US and Japanese versions, as well as two others. Are they all the same and that's just a colour scheme thing?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, it's just the color scheme and you can see it in the gif. The US version color scheme has grey buttons and a red led, the Japanese one has blue buttons and more of a magenta power window. They also have the PAL one with the white power and buttons, and a solid white version.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

ok, I just dont want them to have stupid phyiscal cart restrictions. yay this will scratch my itch for a Jap Megadrive scheme.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Island Nation posted:

The Genesis doesn’t have the SG-1000 chip but it can play them on the Master Everdrive in a SMS.
It looks like the Analogue system will support them, since they've announced cartridge adaptors for SG-1000 and SC-3000.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

The Kins posted:

It looks like the Analogue system will support them, since they've announced cartridge adaptors for SG-1000 and SC-3000.

Silhouette thought that SG-1000 games could run on a Genesis when it can’t.

The adapters look pretty slick though.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I think it's just the video chip in the Genesis doesn't support the SG1000 video mode. IIRC F-16 fighting falcon uses an sg1000 mode and also won't work.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ah, we've overlooked a very important detail.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Trailblazing ahead of apple and google now.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Is it just me or is the website not working? How much is this slated to cost?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

McCracAttack posted:

You actually have to use that if you want stereo audio output. It’s that authentic.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
That is amazing!! I haven’t invested at all in Sega stuff but may finally take the plunge with this. I’m an rear end in a top hat though so I’ll probably wait and see what happens with the firmware. Optical drive emulation for the Sega CD would be oh so nice.
How much 32x stuff would we be missing out on if that never happens?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SpitztheGreat posted:

Is it just me or is the website not working? How much is this slated to cost?

$189 + shipping, which was about 14 for me.
It's worth it to play Shining Force I + II from the cartridges on my TV.

In other retrogaming news, Super Metroid is still good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh man I really want the Mega Sg..but shipping to Aus is $80 (and I'm gonna assume that's USD). Ooooooof.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Pegnose Pete posted:

Not much.

I'm pretty pumped for this, guys.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
drat. If this had SCD support I'd have it instantly. My Model 1 started having issues a few weeks ago and I have a feeling it is going to take forever to figure out what is wrong with it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Djarum posted:

drat. If this had SCD support I'd have it instantly. My Model 1 started having issues a few weeks ago and I have a feeling it is going to take forever to figure out what is wrong with it.

it's probably the capacitors or the laser potentiometer on the scd

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah if this had a Sega CD function built in I probably would get it myself since it cost almost that much getting a working Sega CD these days.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Wonder if you will be able to interface with the CD hardware but run images off the sd card.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rirse posted:

Yeah if this had a Sega CD function built in I probably would get it myself since it cost almost that much getting a working Sega CD these days.

Most broken Sega CD units either require a belt or a fuse. They are super easy to repair and you can save big money that way. The laser assembly is pretty rock-solid.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
slightly related, I have a question about this with regards to regular SD cards for the genesis. I have a working sega cd but I'm worried about the laser dying or it breaking since I've already had trouble loading games a couple of times now. I heard you can load segacd isos from the flash carts that work on the genesis, but how is the compatability?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

That is not a thing you can do. You can only use physical CDs for Sega CD right now.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

You can load a different region sega cd bios from the flash card and that is it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

DoctorWhat posted:

it's probably the capacitors or the laser potentiometer on the scd

I replaced the fuse last weekend and it still isn't powering on. I checked all the caps when I took it apart (what a loving nightmare) and they were all surprisingly in perfect shape. I am going to take the multimeter to it when I get the time to figure out what is wrong with it. It is obviously something with the power board since it isn't getting power.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Pegnose Pete posted:

Kolibri is a weird shooter with gorgeous artwork from the Ecco the Dolphin folks, and is probably the only game really worth checking out just because it's so unique. Nearly everything else is either unplayable or was done better on another console.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The 32X really really helps with the Sega CD games that required it. It's only 6 games, all of which were also released as plain Sega CD before, but the video quality is severely nicer in the 32X versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Djarum posted:

I replaced the fuse last weekend and it still isn't powering on. I checked all the caps when I took it apart (what a loving nightmare) and they were all surprisingly in perfect shape. I am going to take the multimeter to it when I get the time to figure out what is wrong with it. It is obviously something with the power board since it isn't getting power.

There's a transistor that turns the Sega CD on as well. Might want to look into that. Console5 sells replacements.