Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Panfilo posted:

Also, I really like what they did with heat management - it's closer to the tabletop, where overheating just increases the chances of shutdown or ammo explosion, and the more you overheat, the more likely something bad happens. Or you can roll the dice and push your mech to the limit.

Multiple piloting skill checks, fall damage, pilot panic, and pilot checks on missed melee are also nice additions.

Ammo explosion chance on overheat is loving awful, for a variety of reasons. And only one of them is "don't loving nerf ammo using weapons further you idiots".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'd say RT is mostly just better than the base game. Both revolve around maxing your alpha and spamming called shots but RT gives you way more toys and has a better skill tree. If you think the added difficulty isn't for you that's easily fixable, turn off pilot fatigue and give yourself more starting cash and regular repair times.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Xarbala posted:

Man, there's already more crazy nonsense that already exists in canon than anybody knows what to do with. I don't see why RT feels the need to make up even more stuff. Also the whole making up "legendary variants" thing.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Orca_(BattleMech) Orca when

In the article you linked the Orca was called project omega so maybe the Omega is the Orca.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

How Disgusting posted:

That's all down to project management and doesn't say anything about coders and content creators.

The RT project manager is, in fact, a huge bitch.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Conspiratiorist posted:

The RT project manager is, in fact, a huge bitch.

He's incredibly counter-productive, that's for sure. A neckbeard who thinks he's Asuka, eg. the worst sort of non-contributor.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Panfilo posted:

Also, I really like what they did with heat management - it's closer to the tabletop, where overheating just increases the chances of shutdown or ammo explosion, and the more you overheat, the more likely something bad happens. Or you can roll the dice and push your mech to the limit.

Multiple piloting skill checks, fall damage, pilot panic, and pilot checks on missed melee are also nice additions.

Note that some of these improvements are from other mods. The heat thing in particular I’ve played with a mostly vanilla game. You’re right it’s great but the Rogue Tech guys didn’t come up with it, they just rolled it (and a lot of other projects) into their mega revamp.

Don’t take this as some kind of modder ehonor claim. I truly don’t give a gently caress. I’m just pointing out that you can get great QOL stuff and alternate mechanics without buying into all the insanity that is rogue tech

Fake edit: you’ve mentioned the revamped skills before. That’s also a stand alone mod. Same with the large deployment contracts.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah it's really easy to mod Battletech into something that is far better than Roguetech. Without even getting your hands dirty doing any notepad edits yourself (although doing that makes the experience even better - see the often linked goon-mod for simple vanilla-esque improvements).

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that some of these improvements are from other mods. The heat thing in particular I’ve played with a mostly vanilla game. You’re right it’s great but the Rogue Tech guys didn’t come up with it, they just rolled it (and a lot of other projects) into their mega revamp.

Don’t take this as some kind of modder ehonor claim. I truly don’t give a gently caress. I’m just pointing out that you can get great QOL stuff and alternate mechanics without buying into all the insanity that is rogue tech

Fake edit: you’ve mentioned the revamped skills before. That’s also a stand alone mod. Same with the large deployment contracts.

To follow up on this here is the list of the mods within RT: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/articles/27 a lot of them have links to the original mod

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MrTargetPractice posted:

In the article you linked the Orca was called project omega so maybe the Omega is the Orca.

Actually the Omega is the Omega

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Omega_(BattleMech)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I first started getting interested in Roguetech when I heard someone was combining a bunch of other mods into one supermod package. But they started to lose me when I heard they'd made up a bunch of "legendary variants" out of whole cloth.

And the 200t Leviathan, even as a fan-made mech, was originally only supposed to be 100 tons.
http://battletechfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Leviathan_(Custom_%27Mech)

I'd hoped it was going to be a love letter to the vast decades-old library of canon material that the base game left untapped but apparently nah, they don't really give a gently caress so I may as well just play mekhq instead

Like sure, going hog wild like that can be fun but that's not what I'm here for.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah I’d love to play “Batletech with 3080/3145 tech” but I don’t want to play MechCommander MekTek.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah it's really easy to mod Battletech into something that is far better than Roguetech. Without even getting your hands dirty doing any notepad edits yourself (although doing that makes the experience even better - see the often linked goon-mod for simple vanilla-esque improvements).

Could the thread do this? Like via a google doc or something? I'd be really interested in trying a well curated mod list.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DatonKallandor posted:

Ammo explosion chance on overheat is loving awful, for a variety of reasons. And only one of them is "don't loving nerf ammo using weapons further you idiots".

It isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be, because the % chance is a lot lower than the % to shut down at a given amount of overheat. Note that the AI is susceptible to this as well, and overheating an enemy mech and having it trigger an ammo explosion is pretty satisfying. There were historically some mechs that were prone to suffering this fate, like one or two of the Panther variants. From a customization perspective, it simply discourages you from building an energy heavy build that tacks on a missile rack as an afterthought, because that ton of ammo might be more of a liability than you care to take.

That isn't getting into the fact that there's CASE and CASEII. CASE is especially valueable on lighter mechs and saves them from getting blown up outright, while CASEII you only take 3 internal damage, lose all the back armor but it spares all the other equipment in the location (including other ammo that didn't initially blow up).

Ballistic weapons are still useful, because they get different ammo types that can be stacked with the rare +++ versions of weapons you find. An +++AC/5 with +1 accuracy, -1 evasion to the target, and bonus range stacks nicely with Precision Ammo, giving you another +1 accuracy. Deadfire SRMs do much more per-missile damage and keep the lighter, standard SRM racks viable over the longer ranged, more accurate (but heavier) Streak SRM racks.

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's true. Though LadyAlekto has directly collaborated with some other modders, and many of the individual mods do dovetail together well. There has also been much more granularity in difficulty, by allowing the player to toggle certain features on or off. Weapons that get bonuses vs overheating targets, and weapons that do scaled damage based on the range bracket they are in are also pretty innovative changes I haven't seen other people pull off.

How Disgusting posted:

He's incredibly counter-productive, that's for sure. A neckbeard who thinks he's Asuka, eg. the worst sort of non-contributor.

Pretty sure the modder is a woman. I figure a lot of the abrasiveness has to do with dealing with a lot of sexism and answering the same dumb questions a hundred times. Take all the toxicity of the Battletech community and imagine what it is like for a woman to make a mod like RogueTech.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Honestly, I found ballistics in RogueTech to be completely underwhelming except for RAC-5s and maybe UACs. The weight, risk of explosion, and heat generated in addition to the ammo cost just tended to be prohibitive compared to lasers, especially since energy weapons did stability damage too. There wasn't much upside to ballistics. SRMs, yes, but I never got much use out of anything besides an early RAC-5 or dual UAC-10s.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Panfilo posted:

Pretty sure the modder is a woman. I figure a lot of the abrasiveness has to do with dealing with a lot of sexism and answering the same dumb questions a hundred times. Take all the toxicity of the Battletech community and imagine what it is like for a woman to make a mod like RogueTech.

Oh, that changes everything.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ravenfood posted:

Honestly, I found ballistics in RogueTech to be completely underwhelming except for RAC-5s and maybe UACs. The weight, risk of explosion, and heat generated in addition to the ammo cost just tended to be prohibitive compared to lasers, especially since energy weapons did stability damage too. There wasn't much upside to ballistics. SRMs, yes, but I never got much use out of anything besides an early RAC-5 or dual UAC-10s.

Really? I found them okay. Ultras are nice, but heat becomes a factor and the per hit damage is lower. Rotates are excellent no doubt but chew through ammo.

Rifles are a decent low tech option if you don't have the tonnage for standard autocannon.

SRMs, like I said, are really good. Streak can't use special ammo but they have better range, bonus accuracy and evasion ignore. A Butterbee (catapult variant) with twin SRM6 and dead fire ammo does 23 damage a missile compared to the stock 8.

The rare autocannon bonuses combined with armor piercing ammo and through armor criticals give you a much better crit chance than just using energy weapons.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Really? I found them okay. Ultras are nice, but heat becomes a factor and the per hit damage is lower. Rotates are excellent no doubt but chew through ammo.

Rifles are a decent low tech option if you don't have the tonnage for standard autocannon.

I did forget about rifles, which are good because they have no extra ammo and no heat to speak of. No, there's really no point where I'd want ballistics in RT because they weigh a fuckton and take up a ton of space, what with needing a lot of ammo and a lot of heatsinks just to make worthwhile, and unlike a laserboat, actually risk something besides shutdown when they overheat too. Unless they pack CASE, which is, again, more space. Plus, the ammo makes them vulnerable to through-armor criticals. There's just very little upside to them compared to SRMs or energy weapons, which can stack to stupid values if you boat them, and are basically safe choices at any point.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 16, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

dreadmojo posted:

Could the thread do this? Like via a google doc or something? I'd be really interested in trying a well curated mod list.

This is a great idea. I had a good campaign with mods back before the last patch that used one of the smaller multi mod packages plus a few add-ons. Look at my post history in the thread and you should find me talking about it. I’m probably going to go at it vanilla for a bit after the expansion to let the modding landscape settle for a while though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Toning down the heat on the regular ones, or upping the stability damage would help. I also don't get why the game has the recoil mechanic in the first place, which just punishes autocannon even more. I'd also make the pirate ones less crappy; let the pirate energy weapons be dubiously overengineered contraptions that have truck ballz welded under the barrel, and make pirate AC more like 'a regular AC that shoots twice sometimes/gives the enemy recoil debuffs/generates so much powder smoke it partially conceals your mech.

Energy weapons do get a lot of options in contrast, that's true. ER PPC+Capacitor is a brutal headcapper. Snub Nose PPC has a really big short range bracket and weighs less than half of its Gauss counterpart. ER small lasers have really good range for a 0.5 ton weapon.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I also don't get why the game has the recoil mechanic in the first place, which just punishes autocannon even more.

My guess would be to balance them having stab damage, back before stab got dialed back a bit in general. Lasers have a lot of things to say for them, but the fact that htey don't touch stab can be a downside.

Now, enough of a downside to need to slap recoil on ballistics to counteract the "advantage" of stab damage? Probably not. Personally I think ballistics also need to have their heat dialed back a bit, presuming they don't want to screw with tonnage because of all the knock-on effects for other balance issues.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

My guess would be to balance them having stab damage, back before stab got dialed back a bit in general. Lasers have a lot of things to say for them, but the fact that htey don't touch stab can be a downside.

Now, enough of a downside to need to slap recoil on ballistics to counteract the "advantage" of stab damage? Probably not. Personally I think ballistics also need to have their heat dialed back a bit, presuming they don't want to screw with tonnage because of all the knock-on effects for other balance issues.

Giving the AC10 a free ton of ammo built in goes a long way to helping it compete, but there's fewer levers to pull with it than most other weapons (can't give it more damage because that would turn it into a headcapper for example). AC2 needs a lot more help, but I've found that if you make it completely heatless, bump the damage to 30 and give it a free ton of ammo built in, it starts being a decent weapon. It maybe even approaches quite good if you slap some range brackets on all the weapons (which would give the AC2 quite good ones) and lower the Medium Laser to 20 damage (making the 30 damage AC2 a 50% increase on an ML instead of being equal to it).

I'll just link Sandwiches excellent, simple base game mods here again https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821533&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=318#post483957862

Put the goon-made AI mod on top of that and you've already got a massively more nuanced game and most importantly the changes aren't crazy enough to break the AI. Hell even the AI mod on it's own already is a big change - not being able to reserve-cheese the AI goes a long way.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Awesome mods for stock play:
BTML Color LOS mod - never be confused by indirect fire lines seen from directly overhead again. Plus have alternate color sets.
Pilot Health Popup - pilot injuries have an additional popup of "N/N health remaining". Makes capture by knockout much easier.
Quiet Darius - stop Darius from constantly reminding you about unspent XP.

Panfilo posted:

I also don't get why the game has the recoil mechanic in the first place, which just punishes autocannon even more.

Something to put on the guts skill tree.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Kiva confirmed in the last devstream that all of the Flashpoints are created in JSON, so we should be able to go wild and create our own campaigns.

First Try Solutions military company simulator?

The Rise and Fall of the Word of Lowtax?

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Panfilo posted:

I fail to see how providing problems is as legitimate as providing solutions. Especially if the cause of said problems is nothing but a selfish desire to insult and humiliate ten people per day. It's bad for your teammates, it's bad for your players since they won't provide any feedback, and it's ultimately bad for your own health. But cats don't judge.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Phrosphor posted:

Kiva confirmed in the last devstream that all of the Flashpoints are created in JSON, so we should be able to go wild and create our own campaigns.

I'm wondering if you can do the Kamea - Panzyr thing where the pilot and mech are mandatory for the mission. I'm envisioning chained missions where you are given mechs and pilots each step of the way. Which could lead to a narrative campaign where you go through the events as part of a House or a challenge mode where you have to complete missions with a fixed setup

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I'm wondering if you can do the Kamea - Panzyr thing where the pilot and mech are mandatory for the mission. I'm envisioning chained missions where you are given mechs and pilots each step of the way. Which could lead to a narrative campaign where you go through the events as part of a House or a challenge mode where you have to complete missions with a fixed setup

Or like a solaris with a chain of 1v1s until you either get beaten or get to the champion.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Phrosphor posted:

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Soon we'll have all we need for a Battletech the Animated Series campaign

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Only if the campaign is called "MY HOME PLANET!"

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I'm wondering if you can do the Kamea - Panzyr thing where the pilot and mech are mandatory for the mission.
yes, you can do that now, if you take a look in the contract json. Find the player lance and swap in mechdefs and pilotdefs for the null values that are there right now, and when you go to take that contract, it will have those slots blocked off in the lance configuration screen.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Is there a file I can edit to make new games start with more money?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

clone on the phone posted:

Is there a file I can edit to make new games start with more money?

You can edit JSONs to make heat sinks worth 20m each just for enough money to make payroll and maintenance each month. Just remember to change it back.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Starting money is in SimGameConstants.json, look for "StartingCBills". The heatsink thing is better if you have a game in progress tho.

Also a warning about money I've become aware of: this playthrough I've been cheatin' with money a little bit, just enough so I don't have to sell off captured mechs until I have duplicates. Catching all the pokemon, that whole thing. Having a shitload of stored mechs makes the store interface take like 20-30 seconds to load. And I'm not even halfway done with my collection!

VVVV edit: yeah I keep my saves trimmed down. maybe it's something else if other people don't have that problem?

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 18, 2018

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Klyith posted:

Also a warning about money I've become aware of: this playthrough I've been cheatin' with money a little bit, just enough so I don't have to sell off captured mechs until I have duplicates. Catching all the pokemon, that whole thing. Having a shitload of stored mechs makes the store interface take like 20-30 seconds to load. And I'm not even halfway done with my collection!

They had an issue shortly after release where this kind of slowdown happened based on the number of used saved game slots - not sure if they ever fixed that, so if you have a lot of old saves you could try deleting some to see if it speeds things up.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Flashpoint releases November 27th -- looks like they have two more expansions (first urban combat, second TBA) planned for 2019.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

pangstrom posted:

(first urban combat, second TBA)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't really been following it, does the upcoming DLC come with any new weapons or just mechs?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Mordja posted:

I haven't really been following it, does the upcoming DLC come with any new weapons or just mechs?

e: dorp, misread.

It's just making it possible to get more LosTech

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I can't wait to have a lance of Crabs and King Crabs. Too bad there's no light or heavy crabs. Could have been the Hermit Crab and the Snow Crab or something equally crabby.

CRABS!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Improbable Lobster posted:

I can't wait to have a lance of Crabs and King Crabs. Too bad there's no light or heavy crabs. Could have been the Hermit Crab and the Snow Crab or something equally crabby.

CRABS!

I like this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

dreadmojo posted:

:same:

I mean, I enjoyed RougeTech, but it's so bloated now that every time I try to play it, it just crashes my computer now.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 18, 2018