Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The kind of people who trust Russo over Meltzer absolutely have to be younger than the death of wcw

Yeah I think most of them are people who weren't old enough to actually watch WCW when it was around, and their only knowledge of it comes from WWE's comically revisionist "documentaries" or professional bullshit artists like ... Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff. So you can see the dilemma here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The right wing cultists of American politics have been programmed for decades now to think of the Saudis as "the good arabs", ever since Bush held hands and made out with them back in the day.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/AJH_182/status/1051949600993673216

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Stop giving WWE Studios ideas.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Why would Saudi Arabia kidnap the wrestlers? Vince is pretty much the kingdom's most effective propaganda arm at the moment.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Hold them hostage until they send Yokozuna like the prince wanted

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TinTower posted:

Why would Saudi Arabia kidnap the wrestlers? Vince is pretty much the kingdom's most effective propaganda arm at the moment.

because the people in charge of Saudi Arabia sent a hit squad after a journo and the current excuse(revision 6) is that he died during an interrogation accident. If MBS decides he wants a pet Shawn Michaels, he's going to have a pet Shawn Michaels, UN handwringing be damned.

The more likely scenario is that KSA will decide that they won't pay WWE what they've promised and tell them to get hosed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Stop giving WWE Studios ideas.

The next Wolf Warrior movie is set in the Middle East maybe he can save the roster while he's beating ISIS and Al Qaeda.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
This Crown Jewel poo poo is like if Russo were somehow booking real life

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

coconono posted:

because the people in charge of Saudi Arabia sent a hit squad after a journo and the current excuse(revision 6) is that he died during an interrogation accident. If MBS decides he wants a pet Shawn Michaels, he's going to have a pet Shawn Michaels, UN handwringing be damned.

The more likely scenario is that KSA will decide that they won't pay WWE what they've promised and tell them to get hosed.

My point is exactly that MBS is definitely going to use Crown Jewel, like he used the Oil Rumble, to deflect and be like “oh, look at us, we’re so progressive now!”

I’m actually surprised he hasn’t tried to muscle into the F1 calendar; F1 and Eurovision has done a lot to brush Aliyev’s human rights issues under the carpet, after all.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TinTower posted:

My point is exactly that MBS is definitely going to use Crown Jewel, like he used the Oil Rumble, to deflect and be like “oh, look at us, we’re so progressive now!”

I’m actually surprised he hasn’t tried to muscle into the F1 calendar; F1 and Eurovision has done a lot to brush Aliyev’s human rights issues under the carpet, after all.

Tbf I’m having a hard time imagining the type of non Saudi who looks at them hosting a WWE show and thinks “how progressive”

Benne posted:

You must've missed the last time WWE went to KSA for the Greatest Royal Rumble, because there were a loving myriad of Western fans claiming how this was a good thing, that WWE can help enact positive change in the country. You probably don't even have to dig through this thread far enough to find such takes. So many people bought the "progressive" line hook and sinker.

It's almost like well-produced propaganda is scary effective or something.

Honestly I must have cause I though except for a lunatic fringe most people thought it was awful. But I don’t branch very far out into crazy internet wrestler fan land except for the bad opinions thread

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 16, 2018

sprdelfin
Mar 4, 2005

Let me tell you about the okey-doke.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Tbf I’m having a hard time imagining the type of non Saudi who looks at them hosting a WWE show and thinks “how progressive”

You don't have to imagine him, he's president.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Aesop Poprock posted:

You must've missed the last time WWE went to KSA for the Greatest Royal Rumble, because there were a loving myriad of Western fans claiming how this was a good thing, that WWE can help enact positive change in the country, and how important it was to "build bridges" or whatever. You probably don't even have to dig through this thread far enough to find such takes. So many people bought the "progressive" line hook and sinker.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nah trump looks at wwe in Saudi Arabia and gets a little cranky that his buddy Vince didn’t cut him in on the profits

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Benne posted:

You must've missed the last time WWE went to KSA for the Greatest Royal Rumble, because there were a loving myriad of Western fans claiming how this was a good thing, that WWE can help enact positive change in the country, and how important it was to "build bridges" or whatever. You probably don't even have to dig through this thread far enough to find such takes. So many people bought the "progressive" line hook and sinker.

I dunno if they even believed the whole progressive thing so much. A lot of people just don't want to stop watching WWE and will find ways to rationalize that no matter what they do or how bad the product gets.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I was DMing with someone a few minutes ago. It was half Ronda/half WWE verbiage wise. Apparently she is slowly getting more and more control over her lines.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Ronda loving sucks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

Ronda loving sucks

Let's go loving Ronda

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Ronda loving sucks

:yeah:

Her stupid bigoted rear end getting hired on was a sad day.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

:yeah:

the company that hired her venerates the Ultimate Warrior every year

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Alaois posted:

the company that hired her venerates the Ultimate Warrior every year

That doesn't make her not a bigoted idiot

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Alaois posted:

The company that hired her venerates the Ultimate Warrior every year

Yes and

Both can be bad. Ultimate Warrior was a douche with a clown persona to cover it up but he's dead, it's still lame, but Rousey's a lovely overrated homophobe/transphobe right now.

Low Desert Punk posted:

That doesn't make her not a bigoted idiot

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 17, 2018

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Any individual worker being a lovely person is usually something I overlook due to management being worse. But yeah, also, Warrior's dead.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Any individual worker being a lovely person is usually something I overlook due to management being worse.

Management's done a pretty good job so far of not publicly saying they don't think any of the Sandy Hook kids actually died

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Yardbomb posted:

Yes and

Both can be bad. Ultimate Warrior was a douche with a clown persona to cover it up but he's dead, it's still lame, but Rousey's a lovely overrated homophobe/transphobe right now.

I’ve heard about her being a Truther, and I’m not doubting you, but what has she said that’s homophobic and/or transphobic?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’ve heard about her being a Truther, and I’m not doubting you, but what has she said that’s homophobic and/or transphobic?

She was on someone or another's show and started running her mouth about stuff like MTF transpeople being allowed to Do The Sports, in the usual way idiots do. (IE It's not fair, they're just trying to cheat with their MAN skeleton!)

Ronda Rousey posted:

She can try hormones, chop her pecker off, but it’s still the same bone structure a man has. It’s an advantage. I don’t think it’s fair.

I understand the UFC doesn’t want to be associated with views like (Mitrione’s). I’m also glad they didn’t straight cut him.

What if she became UFC champion and we had a transgender women’s champion? It’s a very socially difficult situation.

Matt Mitrione had also just gone on a big transphobic rant, the guy she's trying to play defense for, calling Fallon Fox (Trans fighter) Buffalo Bill and a "sociopathic freak" and poo poo. :ughh:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 17, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
person who beats people unconscious for money surprisingly not a paragon of progressive values

news at 11

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

person who beats people unconscious for money surprisingly not a paragon of progressive values

news at 11

Thanks for doing your duty in defending horrible bigots lunkhead :thumbsup:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The last WWE PPV was main evented by the guy behind the Hulk Hogan Redemption Tour.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Yardbomb posted:

lol totally not my point

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Yes and

hiring ronda rousey wasn't some ah jeez black mark tarnishing a brand sad day, it was the WWE keeping exactly in line with its core values

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Yardbomb posted:

There's literally no room to discuss the actual issues with trans athletic competitors without being a permanently irredeemable bigot, it's 100% true.

:somestupidassemojitoreallyhammerhomeithome:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lol totally not my point

I love you for the most part friend but you're still a Steelers fan, eventually people notice the pattern

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Given that Fallon Fox can be beaten by anyone that did a few weeks of cardio, the fairness arguments died down pretty loving quick. I think she’s quietly retired now. Last I heard, she was trying to get a twitch game stream thing going.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Marquis de Pyro posted:

There's literally no room to discuss the actual issues with trans athletic competitors without being a permanently irredeemable bigot, it's 100% true.

The actual issues: The treatment they face by bigots whether up front or behind their back and why they should be better protected and why harsher punishments should be levied at LGBT hatred in various franchises

There we go. None of them were trying to discuss jack poo poo, they were calling Fallon Fox a "sociopathic tranny" and pulling out "WELL I MEAN WHAT ABOUT THE SOCIAL CIRCUMSTANCES" bullshit which is like, literally bad faith bigot arguments 101, they didn't and don't care, they wanna single out the lady that looks different and beat up on minorities some more.

Alaois posted:

Hiring ronda rousey wasn't some ah jeez black mark tarnishing a brand sad day, it was the WWE keeping exactly in line with its core values

Where did I say this whatsoever, you're putting weird words in my mouth.

Yardbomb posted:

I didn't say it ROCKED THE FOUNDATIONS OF MY TRUST IN HHH or something dude, I said it was a sad day, because it's yet another open bigot being rewarded.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It seems like you are getting upset at a symptom instead of the disease though

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ronda did get a huge pop tho

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/lemon031/status/1052289609521086465

The replay to this by Mitchell is amazing though

https://twitter.com/mitchellpwtorch/status/1052295291389530112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

The actual issues: The treatment they face by bigots whether up front or behind their back and why they should be better protected and why harsher punishments should be levied at LGBT hatred in various franchises

There we go. None of them were trying to discuss jack poo poo, they were calling Fallon Fox a "sociopathic tranny" and pulling out "WELL I MEAN WHAT ABOUT THE SOCIAL CIRCUMSTANCES" bullshit which is like, literally bad faith bigot arguments 101, they didn't and don't care, they wanna single out the lady that looks different and beat up on minorities some more.

It’s a legitimately complex subject to approach and still in its infancy so anyone raising a question about how it’s supposed to work from either side gets brow beaten by the other and it’s just not a fun thing to discuss in public forums at the moment. This relates to all issues of trans involvement in sports but combat sports especially so. There are really lovely people out there that use it as an excuse to air their transphobia for sure