Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Monathin posted:

Don't like this response from, Anidav.

Mafia games are not immune to including red herrings :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Amoeba102 posted:

If anyone wants to treat it as an ecco cop go ahead. But make a case that doesn't rely on piss.

Well, here's this, then.

I visited someone last night. Considering the person I visited is currently posting, and did not get a message about smelling like piss, we know it wasn't turning our actions loud.

Ergo, we can treat it as an Ecco cop, because mechanics should have some basis in reality (which is why I'm going to keep Anidav in the back of my mind for downplaying it).

If people are going to case, they should limit the discussion to me, Toal, Caroline, and AA. Us four should be considered the primary suspects for today.

I'll go do some reading here in a bit, but there's your start.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Moatillata posted:

I really don't get how it could be an eccocop

That's where the cop picks a group of players and gets a result if Any of them are scum, right?

Who is getting the cop info in our scenario???

The thread.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I have something to say, now that my speech has not been limited by skull man's...um...whatever he did in the game, i must announce something.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/376424398023962624

I must ask that no police officer investigates me as I am third-party aligned and will surely make you receive a result of 'not town.'

I am psycho mantis' astral projection. not kid psycho mantis, but the actual psycho mantis sending his spirit back through time and into your memory card. my mission is to prevent a time paradox by making sure that this mafia game goes according to canon. In order for me to do that, one person, who I can only assume is not scum, must die, and then town must win. Who that person is, I just can't say.

It would be a spoiler...

I will do my best to eliminate the bad guys, but if I do not see that person dead when I think scum are very close to being dead, I may temporarily have to become evil. That's just the nature of a mantis.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Moatillata posted:

That's where the cop picks a group of players and gets a result if Any of them are scum, right?

D-pup literally marked us as enemies.

With his pee.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Amoeba102 posted:

The thread.

So we're assuming birb is gonna post something about the dog not liking someone of the group

Or that the mere fact that they were all pissed upon means scum is in the group

The eccocop theory legit makes no sense to me

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

I got nothing from the piss. My thoughts are Caroline is scum.

Why is that, Toalpaz

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Monathin posted:

With his pee.

Okay lemme reread post maybe I missed something here

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Fair enough Gulag.

Caroline
Aug 29, 2018

I am forced to look for clams like a bird. However, did you know that I am very good at looking for clams like a bird? I am even better at eating them.

Moatillata posted:

So we're assuming birb is gonna post something about the dog not liking someone of the group

Or that the mere fact that they were all pissed upon means scum is in the group

The eccocop theory legit makes no sense to me

It is a possible thing.

Saying it is "almost certainly" a thing is very silly!!

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

28766f69642a2930 posted:

This is D-Pup.

His new friends are Caroline, Anomalous Amalgam, Toalpaz and Monathin.

They spend a lot of time looking adorable.

They try to train D-Pup to jump into Pequod, which he can’t do. Awww :3:

They train him to ride the Fulton balloon. D-Pup doesn’t like the Fulton balloon.

:kimchi: D-Pup sprays his trainers with puppy pee. :kimchi:

Caroline, Anomalous Amalgam, Toalpaz and Monathin reek of dog urine until the earlier of
  • they have a shower; or
  • the end of Night 1

Nothing about enemies monathin

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

GulagDolls posted:

Why is that, Toalpaz

I'm writing up a big ol case post, see if it helps people see what I see.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Moatillata posted:

Yes, youre the one!

:cheerdoge:

moat tricked me here

Caroline
Aug 29, 2018

I am forced to look for clams like a bird. However, did you know that I am very good at looking for clams like a bird? I am even better at eating them.

Monathin posted:

With his pee.

Did it say that?? :confused:

28766f69642a2930 posted:

This is D-Pup.

His new friends are Caroline, Anomalous Amalgam, Toalpaz and Monathin.

They spend a lot of time looking adorable.

They try to train D-Pup to jump into Pequod, which he can’t do. Awww :3:

They train him to ride the Fulton balloon. D-Pup doesn’t like the Fulton balloon.

:kimchi: D-Pup sprays his trainers with puppy pee. :kimchi:

Caroline, Anomalous Amalgam, Toalpaz and Monathin reek of dog urine until the earlier of
  • they have a shower; or
  • the end of Night 1

Nopers!! :3:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Moatillata posted:

What do you think the pee does, then? Again, mechanics have to have a purpose.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Is there an echo in here

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Moatillata posted:

Fluff wise as xiw has mentioned, in game D-dog pisses on enemies.

An ecco cop takes a group of players and gives a scum or not-scum result on the group, depending on if there's a scum in it.

D-dog pissed on a group of players.

This being a flavourful fun game, it seems to be indicating a scum was involved trying to train d-dog.

Caroline
Aug 29, 2018

Moatillata posted:

Is there an echo in here

:negative:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

FYI, if I see Hal online on my buddies list again and hasn't posted.Same for Retropopanax. I will be most displeased.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Toalpaz posted:

An ecco cop takes a group of players and gives a scum or not-scum result on the group, depending on if there's a scum in it.

This being a flavourful fun game, it seems to be indicating a scum was involved trying to train d-dog.

jesus christ thank you toal

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Toalpaz posted:

Ok, didnt realize the dog peed on enemies in the game. It wasn't presented that way in the post

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Monathin posted:

What do you think the pee does, then? Again, mechanics have to have a purpose.

I really think it has to do with visits and marking if someone was visited by a piss smeller but I don't think it's a good idea to start outing that info if that's the case

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Well Mon has already stated they visited someone. I guess you had pm flavour of being visited then speak up. At some point today Mon should say who they visited.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I guess *if* you had pmflavour etc.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I mean this is honestly the proper time for me to claim anyway since I should claim early with a role like this, which is why I feel fine outting that information.

I'm a town-aligned redirector. During the night, I can swap places with someone. Any actions that would have targetted me target them, any actions that target them target me.

I used it on Moat last night.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Toalpaz posted:

It's a puppy. Not a dog. Puppies have no idea what they are doing but it's trainers might influence what sort of dog it becomes. So once again the piss might just be story time, for now. I'm not saying it isn't an echo cop, I'm just saying there is a fair chance it may not be and it's a bit rough to conclude its role off a singular day event out of many.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

normally i would love to talk about piss, but i think now is the time 2 accuse people and hopefully make them cry

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Monathin posted:

I mean this is honestly the proper time for me to claim anyway since I should claim early with a role like this, which is why I feel fine outting that information.

I'm a town-aligned redirector. During the night, I can swap places with someone. Any actions that would have targetted me target them, any actions that target them target me.

I used it on Moat last night.

Okay, well there goes my theory then bc I didn't get any piss notifications for your visit

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Moatillata posted:

Okay, well there goes my theory then bc I didn't get any piss notifications for your visit

That's what I figured, since I figured you'd have been bitching about someone piss-covered visiting you if you had.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Caroline posted:

Bad, mean roundie!

##vote GeneX

Caroline votes GeneX for voting someone not in this game. This person is either the Caroline, indicating GX knows Caroline, or someone they mutually know. Indicating Caroline knows people.

Caroline posted:

This is my first game so I don't really know any of you. :ohdear:

Probably a lie given that they know GX and looks like they registered a few weeks ago for this game. That means Caroline is playing the game and intentionally acting this way to illicit sympathy from town. I wouldn't be bothered by the cutsiness of Caroline if it wasn't such an obvious smoke screen to act like a newbie and vote people who vote them without having to do the reasoning to scumhunt. Being able to participate like this in the game is very helpful as scum, as it risks very little, and allows them to appear active.

Then there's 4-6 posts of just reactions and essentially wet farts.

Caroline posted:

That sure is a lot I'm doing to someone who has two votes I didn't say was a bad guy!!

Hmmm, I think you are the bad guy looking for a nice, new person to target who won't know better.

But I caught you!!! :sun:

##vote Toalpaz

An OMGUS, but that isn't an incredibly useful scum tell. What is troubling to me is faking being new still, when that isn't the case. xiw mentioned that Caroline was an NPC in another game series called like... I forget. But basically some bitter vet has put on the skin of a newbie and is voting like it, intentionally playing poorly in order to hide the fact that they're scum and wont be able to really catch scum this game.

Caroline posted:

I'm the towniest town. :3:

Unless I'm mistaken, if this really was Caroline's first game, they wouldn't be using Bif's catch phrase. This once again implies that Caronline knows Bif's persona, and is merely taking on this new account facade to make things easier for themself.

Caroline posted:

Oh no!!

We can both be town friends. :glomp:

Scum need friends, scum benefit from being sickly sweet and having the benefit of the doubt from others.

Caroline posted:

I'm just me, although I'm glad people think I'm very cute. :kimchi:

My vote is real one too!! Toalpaz thought I was hedging on voting AA for making one little comment about him where I don't even call him a bad guy! Looks like someone just looking for an easy case. Very mean to pick a poor little mouse.

This is a distraction though, friend. Why does it matter? Let's just all play this game and be friends and find all the bad guys. :3:

Oh no, unless you're a bad guy trying to make a bad, weak case and call it a policyvote? :ohdear:

Looking for 'easy cases' isn't wrong. If you find something scummy you should point it out and if you die and turn out to be town, people will benefit from your casework. Also Caroline isn't new, and this is fake and manipulative.

Caroline posted:

Didn't have very strong opinions on Day 1!

A lot of posts I didn't understand.

I just thought the sugar person vote was very bad and then oh look it was!!

Caroline calling the sugar vote bad was just that it was 'too easy'. Caroline offered no real reads beyond calling people who challenged them mean.

Anyways, a lot of my case hinges on Caroline being a throwaway account meme but I think that it's a good guess.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Toalpaz, I need you to answer a question to determine your state of mind as town or scum.

You are Doug Funny and Mr. Dink asked you to come to his house for some extra credits. When you knock on the door he tells you to come in and its open.

Then you see this:

What do you do?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Monathin posted:

That's what I figured, since I figured you'd have been bitching about someone piss-covered visiting you if you had.

Don't act like you know me

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I was like 10 while that show was airing and I didn't really watch it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I take a seat.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Toalpaz posted:

Naw in game adult d-dog spots enemies and marks them for you while you're out sneaking around and choking them out. Baby d-dog just hangs around your base for a while until growing up and becoming available on a mission.

the eccocop thing is plausible though but I'd expect more d-dog scum identification later which is why i don't want everyone in the dog list dead.

Moatillata posted:

everyone, as the pee list was publicly posted.

(i'm really hoping we're done with pee-related gameplay tbh)

(the horse companion has a button you press to make them poo poo on the road and you can crash enemy vehicles that way so i'm expecting the worst)

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Okay that is not something I knew. I just used d horse as a roadblock.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone else think its scummy that Toalpaz wouldn't stop Mr. Dink from molesting Doug if given the chance.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The whole line of questioning and answer is just loving weird.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

imgay posted:

Anyone else think its scummy that Toalpaz wouldn't stop Mr. Dink from molesting Doug if given the chance.

we're going to lynch you today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GulagDolls posted:

we're going to lynch you today.

No, we're going to lynch you today.

• Locked thread