Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Ernest Roulette is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

"Anime is trash for people stupid enough to wanna stick their dick in a plughole" seems like a fresh take nowadays.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s the SA overall opinion since its inception. As nerds needing to feel superior to other nerds has always been a thing.

It’s a dump take but it’s certainly not fresh.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know what anime isn't trash? Double Deckers. Watch it. Love it, because it loves you. It's super queer and the main character is a marxist.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

everyone watch the animes I like

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For my third wish on the monkey’s paw I asked that the thread not discuss star wars for 24 hours. Now to read all the posts I’ve missed since last night.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The only good anime is King of the Hill

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

everyone watch the animes I like

My favorite fascism-pushing anime is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

It's got human sacrifices, genocide and war criminals! What's not to love?

Ghostlight posted:

The only good anime is King of the Hill

The Lilo and Stich animated series was pretty cool too, IMO

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RareAcumen posted:

The Lilo and Stich animated series was pretty cool too, IMO
Knight Rider is where it's at.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i tried reading berserk awhile back but having to read a book backwards is a pain. how did right to left writing ever become a thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zedd posted:

Knight Rider is where it's at.

Secret Squirrel was really good. I wish it and Hong Kong Phooey had come on more than once at like 6:15 AM when I was a kid.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've started watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and while it took me a bit of time to warm up to it, and it's a bit heavy for a real binge, I'm looking forward to finishing it soon.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Look, everybody's know there's a list of anime universally loved and revered by many people, and they are:

Animation Runner Kuromi
Polar Bear's Cafe
Chi's Sweet Home
Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl
Victorian Romance Emma
Sket Dance
Brigadoon
Kurogane Communication
Black Magic M-66
and...I dunno, Slayers, I guess.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The new (and final0 season of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend started last Friday, looking good so far. Somewhat more relevant to this thread, seeing as Rachel Bloom was a Youtube personality long before she made it to prime time and an Emmy.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I like Laughing Salesman and Wakakozake :nyoron:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

RareAcumen posted:

Secret Squirrel was really good. I wish it and Hong Kong Phooey had come on more than once at like 6:15 AM when I was a kid.

I was gonna put a video clip of Bat Fink here but then I remembered how horrifically racist his 'sidekick' was and decided we didn't need that derail just yet.

https://youtu.be/v1R_4qBkV-M

Allison and Phaolus tackled the pilot of Neo-Charmed.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

God drat.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
PushingUpRoses talks about Homestar Runner! Mainly some of the games, but general Homestar Runner stuff at first too.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
donoteat01 makes videos about the material impact of policy using Cities: Skylines to demonstrate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeirDrinWk

he did a pretty neat overview of Black Wall Street as well.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

donoteat01 makes videos about the material impact of policy using Cities: Skylines to demonstrate

He's absolutely one of the most pro clicks on all of Youtube. I think that his highways episode is maybe the best political/social video on Youtube

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
RENT CONTROL

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dean of Swing posted:

RENT CONTROL

LISA NEEDS HOUSING

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dean of Swing posted:

RENT CONTROL

the only proper rent control is marching all landlords to the guillotine

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

My favorite fascism-pushing anime is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

It's got human sacrifices, genocide and war criminals! What's not to love?
You mean the one where one of the main characters wants to become Fuhrer?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the only proper rent control is preventing the commodification of housing by abandoning capital and seizing the means of production

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

You mean the one where one of the main characters wants to become Fuhrer?

He never actually achieves that goal in any of the three incarnations of the story, and his quest to do so fundamentally breaks him and everyone around him as a person to varying degrees in each iteration as the country reforms into a democracy without him in the end. Saying FMA is pro-fascist when everything about Amestris under Bradley is openly presented as evil to its core, and one of its movies delved into how loving evil the LITERAL NAZIS were too is quite disingenuous.

But whatever.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

FMA also gives the proper solution to fascism. Kill them all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Terrible Opinions posted:

FMA also gives the proper solution to fascism. Kill them all.

The same could be said of all animes.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

He never actually achieves that goal in any of the three incarnations of the story, and his quest to do so fundamentally breaks him and everyone around him as a person to varying degrees in each iteration as the country reforms into a democracy without him in the end. Saying FMA is pro-fascist when everything about Amestris under Bradley is openly presented as evil to its core, and one of its movies delved into how loving evil the LITERAL NAZIS were too is quite disingenuous.

But whatever.
I was trying to make a joke, but I guess it didn’t land.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

I was trying to make a joke, but I guess it didn’t land.

Yeah, I was just poking fun at the whole Führer-King title. And the attempted extermination of the Ishvalans.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

But whatever.

Uhhh... Brotherhood pretty explicitly ends with him named as the new Fuhrer, iirc. But yeah, it's VERY clearly framed that the military regime is a corrupt and bad thing.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I am so, so excited for the future long doc on MMA by Bois and Biederman.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uhhh... Brotherhood pretty explicitly ends with him named as the new Fuhrer, iirc. But yeah, it's VERY clearly framed that the military regime is a corrupt and bad thing.

Not quite another General is the new Fuhrer, and the fire clicker is stuck working for him. But the dude seems to be tranaitioning his police state into a more democratic state and trying to keep the borders peaceful

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Seconding this recommendation, especially his Franklin series. He's also a goon. And he just did a video on Killdozer. Give him a dollar.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Those Cities videos are really good. Learned a lot from them, very good watch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kunster posted:

I am so, so excited for the future long doc on MMA by Bois and Biederman.

it's gonna be so good.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'm glad that I got past the first Franklin video because the jump in quality happens pretty fast. Worth saying that if you start there like I did, it gets better.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I'm watching the bonus Killdozer video right now, it owns so hard, please give this man a dollar

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

scheduling a eulogy for the false image of killdozer man as an anti-authority hero. BYOP (bring your own poop).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know Killdozer is something else, but I always think of the Dozerfleet Saga when I hear about it, and I look back on the troper threads with nostalgia and disgust.