Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think it ties a lot into what shows and movies they're launching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

esperterra posted:

Nah I think genuinely bad writing deserves to be called as such. I just don't think there's anything wrong with still getting joy or some kind of value out of 'bad' writing.

Yeah. I'd be insulted as a writer if there were no objective standards for good or bad writing, and any hack can get away with being lazy (not saying that you're saying that DP).

Charmed, objectively, had lazy plots, bad characterizations, and a suspiciously large amounts of episodes centering around their kitchen set and a generic alleyway.

e: in the morning, when I'm getting ready for work, I sometimes flick it on since it seems to be running in perpetuity, if I'm tired of the news. And wowee, is it hard to get through a few minutes of it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

Any theories to why they missed last quarter but came up big in the summer

Insatiable

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SubInsider/status/1022944761429286912

What a difference three months makes.

Hulu is the best streaming service now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
new season of 7 deadly sins and castlevania maybe?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Shageletic posted:

Hulu is the best streaming service now.

They finally got rid of the commercials?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zoux posted:

Orange Is the New Black? (for example) Isn't that their most popular show? Did Netflix have any major shows in the spring?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 17, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I went back and finished watching Orphan Black. I stopped watching after the first season because I didn't like any of the characters besides the ones played by Tatiana Maslany. I went back partially because I was bored and partially because I enjoy Killjoys and every ad for it I saw said "From the people that brought you Orphan Black" so with some downtime I managed to go back and finish. Overall I actually came to like it more. I still think the only characters I really liked were the ones played by Tatiana Maslany (the husband for Soccer Mom Variant really grew on me the more time he got). Besides that the best part of the show was the later seasons anytime James Frain showed up. After giving up I'm glad I went back though because Maslany is so drat talented it made putting up with Frowny Cop, he is seriously the worst, and her annoying step brother worth it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh god why can't I stop watching that Shane Dawson series about Logan Paul? It's just Youtube drama but the episodes are like 40 minutes each and it's entertaining as gently caress so I guess it's TVIV worthy. I just love how Shane reacts to all the weirdness around him, I don't think I would have reacted any different to the weird influencer houses he has to go to to interview people.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Turtlicious posted:

new season of 7 deadly sins and castlevania maybe?

he asked about Q2 and summer (Q3), those are Q4

X-O posted:

I went back and finished watching Orphan Black. I stopped watching after the first season because I didn't like any of the characters besides the ones played by Tatiana Maslany.

TatiMas plays like 80% of the characters

Lycus posted:

Did Netflix have any major shows in the spring?

13 Reasons Why S2

less laughter fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 17, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Popelmon posted:

Oh god why can't I stop watching that Shane Dawson series about Logan Paul? It's just Youtube drama but the episodes are like 40 minutes each and it's entertaining as gently caress so I guess it's TVIV worthy. I just love how Shane reacts to all the weirdness around him, I don't think I would have reacted any different to the weird influencer houses he has to go to to interview people.

:same: his Jeffree one was also A+

e: i really miss his fuckin podcast tho RIP

e2: also i hope he goes back to the more fun longform stuff after this series. i miss his dumb ghost hunting with his squad

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 17, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

less laughter posted:

TatiMas plays like 80% of the characters

I didn't like any of the cop stuff in the first season and that was a big part of it so it soured me on the show. I hated both of the actors that played the cops. Luckily only one of them stuck it out through the rest of the seasons.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

less laughter posted:

13 Reasons Why S2

Major shows, not anything released. Any reason to think 13 Reasons Why was a major draw at all? Google tells me that their big top 3 in 2016 were Orange is the New Black, Stranger Things, and Fuller House. Don't know if there's 2017 info.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 17, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought we'd agreed not to say "TatiMas" anymore

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

precision posted:

I thought we'd agreed not to say "TatiMas" anymore
There's so many Tatianas and Maslanys, we need to be able to specify.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Conners got off to a dark, very current events-based start.

e- Holy gently caress, the interaction between Dan and Marcy Bellinger when she showed up at his house. :psyduck:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 17, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think it's pretty good actually. It's how my family has dealt with death. With jokes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gaunab posted:

They finally got rid of the commercials?

I pay 11 bux for it, so yeah.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Godddamn The Conners for making me tear up and poo poo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zoux posted:

International growth. The Netflix originals from other countries besides the US are starting to spin up and a lot of them look very interesting tbh.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Episode 4 of Manifest continues the lameness. I really should stop watching.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Episode 4 of Manifest continues the lameness. I really should stop watching.

Is it going full god squad?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Is it going full god squad?
The main cop lady may be religious but there’s no indication of divine intervention yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So how'd they off Roseanne

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

OD’d on opioids

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It actually fit into the story line from last season. It didn’t come out of nowhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

OD’d on opioids

Truly trumpy

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GreenNight posted:

OD’d on opioids

Should've been Ambien.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

It actually fit into the story line from last season. It didn’t come out of nowhere.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched an episode of Roseanne (maybe as a kid? It wasn’t particularly big in the UK when I was growing up and I think it was on a channel I struggled to get), but thinking of watching at least the new show out of curiosity. I know roughly what happens in the season finale, but worth watching anyway for comparison and continuity?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Arist posted:

Guilty pleasures are stupid. Like what you like.

I hate this attitude. You can enjoy something and it can still be bad. Acting like enjoying it automatically makes it good is intellectually dishonest and makes discussing media nearly impossible. I like McDonald's but McDonald's is objectively bad food.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like some people hear "guilty pressure" like its something that harbors deep shame that you must hide from everyone. Instead its just this.

Me: I'm gonna go watch a show.
You: What show?
Me: Just a show.
You: Ok, you have to tell me now.
Me: X
You: Ha!
Me: I know, I know. Shut up, you watch Y.

Same as I think some people hear "turn your brain off" or whatever and think its like some kind of condemnation of intelligence and art. Instead of just "sometimes I just want harmless escapism or to get my mind off stuff."

Then again some people are just pretentious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The situation is complicated somewhat because something can be very stupid but still good, and something can be intelligent but bad.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Speaking of guilty pleasures, Mayans MC is definitely scratching that itch right now. It’s so loving stupid most of the time but I grin like an idiot when there’s some fart rock starting up and the Mayans ride off to start some shenanigans.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I view Mayans is like a Ryan Murphy show. Sure, the ads kind of appeal to me and I'm sure if I gave it a chance I'd have stupid fun with it. But I know what it is and I know how it will end.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

STAC Goat posted:

I view Mayans is like a Ryan Murphy show. Sure, the ads kind of appeal to me and I'm sure if I gave it a chance I'd have stupid fun with it. But I know what it is and I know how it will end.

With a character strangling a cat for a sexual thrill?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Shannon Dougherty drat near made me blind.

She's a drat fine woman. drat fine.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

STAC Goat posted:

With some form of anal rape, probably with Sutter himself on the receiving end?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Has there been a bathtub full of piss yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Even though the narrative has changed, at the time the story was that Whedon came back to Angel and tried swinging his dick around and ended up getting the show canceled on the spot.

This is Whedon so I gotta ask.

Literally or figuratively?