Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It makes a better point that that loving neckbeard comic at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Thingyman posted:

Please quote the massive information dump comic more. Thank you.

Okay.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Are you trying to tome police that comic?! :mad:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Absurd Alhazred posted:

it's more like length policing

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
One the one hand it’s like don’t be rude to people but on the other hand it’s like shave off your terrible neck fluff you fat piece of garbage

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I guess I was too subtle. :smith:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I chuckled.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Moon Slayer posted:

It's like they entered a "explain something good in the worst way possible" contest.

It's one of those things that's right but the people who are most likely to tone police are the ones who don't respect the validity of your anger anyway so when it's presented the way this comic is it falls flat

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Now that Hogge wild is no longer with us let me be the first to say piissssssssssssssss

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ExplodingSims posted:

It makes a better point that that loving neckbeard comic at least.

"Arbitrary standards of cleanliness" is my favorite part.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Who the gently caress is supposed to read this? Who does the author imagine they're reaching?

Wow you should calm down

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I imagine being one of "Robot Hugs"'s friends in real life is absolutely loving exhausting.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pastry of the Year posted:

I imagine being one of "Robot Hugs"'s friends in real life is absolutely loving exhausting.

It's really hard to continue this conversation given your out-of-proportion anger.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

It's really hard to continue this conversation given your out-of-proportion anger.

In the interest of good faith, I read through a big chunk of the Robot Hugs archive and while my original point stands, I feel like that person would probably agree with me. They seem like a fundamentally nice, well-meaning person with a catastrophic confluence of brain problems that being Always Online (try counting all the times they refer to themselves as "always [synonym for angry]") has exacerbated. And no one should be rewarded for being a dull, hand-wringing scold. I hope they get to a point in their lives where that sort of performance no longer feels rewarding or necessary.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

the skeleton joke comics rely on timing rather than funny faces

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
"your ugly" what?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

This is straight up from the first chapter of Tails Gets Trolled.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Paladinus posted:

This is straight up from the first chapter of Tails Gets Trolled.

It's his favourite comic, yes. He is posting his favourite comic in "Post your favourite comic" the thread.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Here's the same point as the 'tone police' comic only in one panel and actually funny:

edit: and here's a an actually good comic:

Seldom Posts has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Oct 16, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Lemon posted:

the skeleton joke comics rely on timing rather than funny faces

Using funny faces after the punchline is a crutch signifying that the author is insecure about the quality of the punchline. It's a way to indicate the desired reaction to the reader. Much like a person who laughs too loudly at their own jokes, it just makes me want to leave the room / close the browser tab. I'm sure the idea is the same as the canned laughter on TV. It works on TV because we can imagine the sitcom as a play with a live audience in the room. It just doesn't work in a comic strip.

Edit: That's a pretty great Nancy.

And yeah, comics that are just huge word balloons with illustrations are one of my pet peeves. Go make an infographic or write a blog post or whatever, instead.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Oct 16, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Man, even way back when Sluggo was lit

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Gonna have to book ‘em for that.

:hb:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I thought it was funny.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's definitely big enough to be considered a tome.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Haha

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Using funny faces after the punchline is a crutch signifying that the author is insecure about the quality of the punchline. It's a way to indicate the desired reaction to the reader. Much like a person who laughs too loudly at their own jokes, it just makes me want to leave the room / close the browser tab. I'm sure the idea is the same as the canned laughter on TV. It works on TV because we can imagine the sitcom as a play with a live audience in the room. It just doesn't work in a comic strip.

Now I want to do a joke strip where after the gag there's just a load of hanging panels of silence, before all the characters turn to stare into the camera.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Gonna have to book ‘em for that.

:hb:

:hb::hf::hb:

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sometimes that's the entire point

*snip* punny skeleton comics.

I remember there being a series of these, does anyone have a link to the source?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

lofi posted:

Now I want to do a joke strip where after the gag there's just a load of hanging panels of silence, before all the characters turn to stare into the camera.

the murder of the pinter pause

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:discourse:

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I want to die.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Captain Jesus posted:

I want to die.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Jesus posted:

I want to die.

same but unironically

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Anime is bad. But it's even worse with subs.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I like to think that Swan boy is noticing her at around the same time as the audience.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

This one actually made me laugh.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

He's grooming a 7 year old girl? What the gently caress!