Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
She’s starting to thump back at him, but she isn’t fighting back. I guess that’s good. We haven’t been able to be very consistent with their bonding because of a family emergency that had us out of town and I’ve been working overtime. We’re back on track now.

They had a pretty good session tonight. Bun is still lunging at Peggy, but they’ll eat next to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots gave us a scare this weekend. He jumped right out of his cage like he normally does, and started wolfing down his pellets, but after like 10 seconds he stopped eating them. This isn't totally unusual, he'll sometimes eat for a brief period and come back to food later, but this time he didn't. He wouldn't eat his pellets, or his veggies that we offered him, and then he picked at some critical care, but didn't eat much, and the same with some banana. That's when we knew something was wrong. He hates being picked up, and the only time I had been able to in the past was when he had to take him to the vet because he was extremely lethargic.

Well, he fought me and fought me, but I finally was able to corral him. Scratched the poo poo out of my arms. I was able to wrap him in a towel and syringe feed him some critical care. He didn't eat a ton, he kept holding it in his mouth and then spitting it out when I let go of him, but he ate enough I guess.

Eventually, he perked up and started binkying all over the place, and has been eating normally. But ever since I had to man handle him and wrap him in a blanket, he's been extremely friendly towards me. He's been jumping up on the couch to hang out next to me, which he rarely did before. He's also been jumping on to the top of the couch and sitting behind me. He's been doing it the whole time I typed this out. I even leaned back a little, and he like started grooming me (if you can call chewing on my hair grooming me.)

:3:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Carrots gave us a scare this weekend. He jumped right out of his cage like he normally does, and started wolfing down his pellets, but after like 10 seconds he stopped eating them. This isn't totally unusual, he'll sometimes eat for a brief period and come back to food later, but this time he didn't. He wouldn't eat his pellets, or his veggies that we offered him, and then he picked at some critical care, but didn't eat much, and the same with some banana. That's when we knew something was wrong. He hates being picked up, and the only time I had been able to in the past was when he had to take him to the vet because he was extremely lethargic.

Well, he fought me and fought me, but I finally was able to corral him. Scratched the poo poo out of my arms. I was able to wrap him in a towel and syringe feed him some critical care. He didn't eat a ton, he kept holding it in his mouth and then spitting it out when I let go of him, but he ate enough I guess.

Eventually, he perked up and started binkying all over the place, and has been eating normally. But ever since I had to man handle him and wrap him in a blanket, he's been extremely friendly towards me. He's been jumping up on the couch to hang out next to me, which he rarely did before. He's also been jumping on to the top of the couch and sitting behind me. He's been doing it the whole time I typed this out. I even leaned back a little, and he like started grooming me (if you can call chewing on my hair grooming me.)

:3:

:3: :3: :3:

Watch him for bowel obstructions over the next few days.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 17, 2018

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Watch him for bowel obstructions over the next few days.

I've been keeping an eye on his litter box and it looks like he's making GBS threads a ton, like usual.

After the first wrestling match, he did go hide in the corner a bunch, and we counted a good dozen or so poops that kept appearing in the corner, so we were kind of thinking it was some sort of obstruction that we perhaps knocked loose or something. He also seemed to get better after I chased him around for a good 10 to 15 minutes in an attempt to pick him up and feed him again.

None of his poops seemed to be overly sized or misshaped or anything though.

Last time this happened we took him to the emergency vet and and they poked and prodded him for a while, and after the vet left the room for a few minutes to go look into something, he just decided he felt better and started eating everything in site.

He's just a weirdo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I've been keeping an eye on his litter box and it looks like he's making GBS threads a ton, like usual.

After the first wrestling match, he did go hide in the corner a bunch, and we counted a good dozen or so poops that kept appearing in the corner, so we were kind of thinking it was some sort of obstruction that we perhaps knocked loose or something. He also seemed to get better after I chased him around for a good 10 to 15 minutes in an attempt to pick him up and feed him again.

Also, not a dig on what you did (honestly, if there was some kind of mass then getting liquid into his GI tract probably helped out a bit) but I'd wait a while before going straight to the force-feeding next time. Like a few hours probably. Rabbits can't vomit so if they've got an upset tum it's best to wait a while to allow it to pass, and if they have an obstruction you don't just want to pile food on top of it. Also a good idea to really water down the first syringe of critical care so you get him hydrated and soften/break up whatever might be in his gut.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also, not a dig on what you did (honestly, if there was some kind of mass then getting liquid into his GI tract probably helped out a bit) but I'd wait a while before going straight to the force-feeding next time. Like a few hours probably. Rabbits can't vomit so if they've got an upset tum it's best to wait a while to allow it to pass, and if they have an obstruction you don't just want to pile food on top of it. Also a good idea to really water down the first syringe of critical care so you get him hydrated and soften/break up whatever might be in his gut.

No worries. I know you're looking out for his well being. I did make the critical care pretty watery and I did wait a good hour and a half to make sure he was actually being a lethargic bun before I went to the force feeding. He's so anti-being picked up that I usually wait it out first.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

No worries. I know you're looking out for his well being. I did make the critical care pretty watery and I did wait a good hour and a half to make sure he was actually being a lethargic bun before I went to the force feeding. He's so anti-being picked up that I usually wait it out first.

👍👍👍

Him perking up and getting all affectionate after is adorable. It's like the stories of buns who hate the rabbit their owners are trying to bond them with, and then the other bun goes to the vet or something and comes back and it's like "I've never met you before but you seem pretty cool, not at all like that other rear end in a top hat who used to live here."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

👍👍👍

Him perking up and getting all affectionate after is adorable. It's like the stories of buns who hate the rabbit their owners are trying to bond them with, and then the other bun goes to the vet or something and comes back and it's like "I've never met you before but you seem pretty cool, not at all like that other rear end in a top hat who used to live here."
Rabbits are extremely stupid and I'm 100 percent convinced that both of our rabbits, who used to be best friends, think they're fighting some third, enemy rabbit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Jokes aside, as a biologist, I’m pretty sure that rabbits aren’t actually quite so dumb as to forget who their cagemates are at the drop of a hat, in the same way that they don’t suddenly think you’re a different person every time you come home from work.

At least where scent is concerned the body of research seems to point to rabbits having pretty decent memory.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

So what you’re saying is they’re not necessarily dimwitted, they’re just assholes. :v:

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

fibreplex is great for rabbits who are a bit bunged up / gassy, we always make sure we have some of that in the house as well as critical care. (just for if they are having little issues, if they properly aren't eating then its off to the vet for metoclopramide and ranitidine!)

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
Buntolo got really affectionate and cuddly after I brought Peggy home. He’ll lay on my chest and let me pet him for around 20 minutes or so, purring the whole time. It’s like he decided I was cool once he found someone else to hate.

After I cut his nails the first time he refused to eat for a day. He was also pretty gassy, which I managed to massage out, accompanied by tiny bun farts. The next day as I was gearing up to take him to the vet, it was like nothing had ever happened.

I agree that rabbits aren’t dumb, they’re just assholes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bitchymcjones posted:

Buntolo got really affectionate and cuddly after I brought Peggy home. He’ll lay on my chest and let me pet him for around 20 minutes or so, purring the whole time. It’s like he decided I was cool once he found someone else to hate.

After I cut his nails the first time he refused to eat for a day. He was also pretty gassy, which I managed to massage out, accompanied by tiny bun farts. The next day as I was gearing up to take him to the vet, it was like nothing had ever happened.

I agree that rabbits aren’t dumb, they’re just assholes.

Curiosity questions:
1. Do you/your partner ever change perfumes or wear heavy scents?
2. Is he fixed? (This matters less for curbing sex-specific behavior/aggression than you might think, especially if he was fixed as an adult/after having been bred).

Male rabbits are known to get aggressive if the sex balance of their home leans more male than female. And I’ve heard anecdotally that a similar thing can happen in reverse with female rabbits if you have a particularly bossy dominant/high-status female in a mixed-sex group.

All of our rabbits came fixed from the rescue but Jareth and Marfa were adopted as a bonded pair. He has always had some aggression issues around sharing a “warren” with Spock and his moods can shift depending on whether I am nearby or handling him/my girlfriend is handling him/me or my girlfriend are out and the apartment is either mostly dudes or sex-balanced.

Like, there are days where he’ll be bffs with Spock- with lots of mutual grooming and snuggling and physical closeness while it’s just my girlfriend nearby. Then I show up and he’ll start getting super guard-y with his lady and thumping at Spock and me and poo poo.

We’re only just starting to scratch the surface of researching how scent may play a role in human social behavior but there’s a lot of really cool work being done with other mammals. In fact, the lab I worked in this summer focuses on the neuroscience of social behavior and ‘other-recognition’ in mice, which is largely scent and pheromone based.

And the really interesting part from an evolutionary bio/pet ownership standpoint is that there seem to be certain markers identifiable among different mammal species- in other words, other species of mammals can react differently to a human depending on their body odor and its chemical composition. There‘s a landmark body of work showing how mice of different sexes react differently (to the point of even affecting experiment results) depending on the biological sex of the researcher handling them.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 18, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Rabbits aren't dumb or assholes.

They're dumb assholes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Harriet has arthritis. So, she loves med time. Enough that she is letting us train her. This is weird. She'll hop right into my lap, sit and stare at us until we medicate her

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet has arthritis. So, she loves med time. Enough that she is letting us train her. This is weird. She'll hop right into my lap, sit and stare at us until we medicate her

On one hand, sad news about the arthritis. On the other hand, I think she's actually training you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, she’s getting her fix.

Jareth loved his pain meds when he had an ear infection too. They’re flavored really sweetly to get the intended animal to swallow them and not fight the process too much.

No idea what motivated him so much- if it was like getting candy, if he was able to associate it with pain relief, or if he just really wanted to spend the next few hours tripping out on that sweet sweet opioid.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

On one hand, sad news about the arthritis. On the other hand, I think she's actually training you.

That sounds more likely.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Curiosity questions:
1. Do you/your partner ever change perfumes or wear heavy scents?
2. Is he fixed? (This matters less for curbing sex-specific behavior/aggression than you might think, especially if he was fixed as an adult/after having been bred).

Neither one of us really wears fragrances regularly. I’ll wear perfume if I’m getting dressed up but I can’t wear it to work.

I got him neutered a few months ago but she hasn’t been spayed yet.

They’ve made really good progress in bonding over the past week. Buntolo is at a point where he’s trying to groom Peggy, but she’s not ready to trust him yet, so she growls, thumps, jumps and tries to get away. He gets startled by that so then he growls and nips.

They’re doing really well with what I call “squish time.” Towards the end of their dates we’ll make them lay next to each other until they get bored with it so they end on a positive note. Neither one is really panicked by it now and they’ll do it without much guidance beyond being put next to each other.

The next hurdle is feeding them in the same place. Buntolo is a greedy rear end in a top hat and tries to steal food out of Peggy’s mouth. She does not care for that at all.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Da Comrade: Harriet will smash

Yes, that is an authentic Chinese Red Army surplus Ushanka.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
this is what happens when you give my idiot son a box of paper to play in

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That's cute, but you should give him a phone book.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

I think one of the funniest things about owning a rabbit is after you do something to them they don’t like (cutting toenails or whatever) they go back into their area and have a small tantrum. They throw stuff around and dig aggressively. You can almost hear them sighing like a teenager cleaning their room.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

dont forget the feet stamping or

that thing where they turn their back to you in disapproval but also look round so they can check you are actually seeing their back is turned

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Put a bun into the carrier to clean a cage. THUMP

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Walked near the fridge but didn't come back with any vegetables

THUMP

DaiTengu
Feb 26, 2007

Not until I've had my second pot of coffee.
Nap Ghost

clear eyes full farts posted:

dont forget the feet stamping or

that thing where they turn their back to you in disapproval but also look round so they can check you are actually seeing their back is turned

"bunny butt" is a thing. The only way to regain their approval is with an amount of treats proportional to your transgression

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Entered the room a tad too briskly and startled the bun.

THUMP

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/FdPBZ42.mp4

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is just a repost from the other thread :(. I demand more bunny.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mystes posted:

This is just a repost from the other thread :(. I demand more bunny.
That's Cocoa Puff from Instagram, who is a very good rabbit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

a very good rabbit

no such thing

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

False: https://www.instagram.com/big_cocoa_puff

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
$500 to the emergency vet for what is probably bunny gas! They did a bunch of tests to rule out an obstruction and sent us home with critical care and a motility drug. I'm very lucky that my wife is good at syringe feeding because I am Not Good At It.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy

RichterIX posted:

$500 to the emergency vet for what is probably bunny gas! They did a bunch of tests to rule out an obstruction and sent us home with critical care and a motility drug. I'm very lucky that my wife is good at syringe feeding because I am Not Good At It.

a messy business indeed.

if they have gas there is a thing you can do where you bounce their rear end around that helps work things loose, looks ridiculous but can actually work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbyC6CWbm5M. also generally encouraging them to run around (trying to catch them to syringe feed has this as a convenient side effect.. as long as it doesn't stress them out too much)

obv go with what your vet has said but i always keep some critical care, Protexin Fibreplex and ranitidine about the house in case of gut issues (metoclopramide seems to be the really magic one but its already vet time when they need that)

e: arguably its vet time if you are even thinking of giving them anything... the little scamps

clear eyes full farts fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 6, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

clear eyes full farts posted:

if they have gas there is a thing you can do where you bounce their rear end around that helps work things loose, looks ridiculous but can actually work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbyC6CWbm5M.
I can't imagine my rabbits, even lethargic from gas discomfort, doing anything other than removing my arms for trying this.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Post a video.

Or... get someone to post it for you.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Buntolo loves the belly massage part. I do it with him laying on my chest. Peggy tolerates it. They both haaaaaaate the back legs thing.

DaiTengu
Feb 26, 2007

Not until I've had my second pot of coffee.
Nap Ghost
1cc of baby gas drops helps too. We have one bun that's prone to stasis, and the vet will often send home some medicam to help with the discomfort and potentially encourage eating.

Stasis is definitely nothing to gently caress around with. If you're even a little unsure, take the little poo poo machine to the vet.

That said, I've saved a boatload of money by having medicam and baby gas drops in our emergency kit. That, along with tummy massages and encouraging them to run around and play usually does the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DaiTengu posted:

1cc of baby gas drops helps too. We have one bun that's prone to stasis, and the vet will often send home some medicam to help with the discomfort and potentially encourage eating.

Stasis is definitely nothing to gently caress around with. If you're even a little unsure, take the little poo poo machine to the vet.

That said, I've saved a boatload of money by having medicam and baby gas drops in our emergency kit. That, along with tummy massages and encouraging them to run around and play usually does the trick.
Gas drops and massage are what we do. Also buy a cheap stethoscope so you can listen to your rabbit's stomach, it helps narrow down gas vs. stasis.