Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Screenrant: 20 biggest problems fans ignore
I saw this in a terrible add somewhere and figuring it would be good for a laugh clicked on it, but this is just painfully bad writing. It sets a new standard for bad list writing. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Problems Power Rangers fans ignore

20. The rangers are terrible at keeping their secret identities *picture of ranger who has no secret identity and openly works as a ranger*
19. Villains look like people in costumes *they are*
18. Turbo had a 12 year old ranger *yes fans definitely ignored this, no one ever complained about it, for sure*
17. Subtle racism in season 1 *yes no one has ever talked about how the black ranger is black. Let's just ignore he was cast essentially to be second in command and that's how the footage lined up*
16. Mistreatment of David Yost *important, but also well known and something that fans discuss all the time*

I mean all of these are somewhat flawed but you're right you can skip anywhere on this listicle and see something just blatantly dumb.

Lol they say of Lost Galaxy "Instead, the entire season was set in an Earth-like planet called Terra Venture." and that they never visited any other planets

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I thought most people have said that casting a black guy as the Black Ranger and an Asian girl as the Yellow Ranger was a genuine goof. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's what Walter Jones has said.

Personally I think it's ridiculous that it's now basically an unwritten rule that the black ranger can't be a black guy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dawgstar posted:

I thought most people have said that casting a black guy as the Black Ranger and an Asian girl as the Yellow Ranger was a genuine goof. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.

I asked Tony Oliver, producer on a bunch of the early seasons, about it at a convention appearance and he said that yeah, they did all the casting with character names and not, say "Zach - The Black Ranger", and nobody caught the "black ranger is African-American, yellow ranger is Asian-American" until they all were doing promo photos and screen tests.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
IIRC, Walter Jones has said he was glad he was the Black Ranger because he felt it allowed black children to easily identify with him.

Also, TJ probably should have been the Black Ranger In Space because in the sentai, Red and Black have a weird command dynamic and Black ended up calling a lot of the shots too. So instead, it's Carlos doing a lot of the leader work in the sentai footage with no storyline backup in the power rangers/angel grove footage.

anyway.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Operation Overdrive tried to make it cool again for black actors to be black rangers.

However, it was Operation Overdrive. And then the dude stole a signed banner?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

MillennialVulcan posted:

IIRC, Walter Jones has said he was glad he was the Black Ranger because he felt it allowed black children to easily identify with him.

Also, TJ probably should have been the Black Ranger In Space because in the sentai, Red and Black have a weird command dynamic and Black ended up calling a lot of the shots too. So instead, it's Carlos doing a lot of the leader work in the sentai footage with no storyline backup in the power rangers/angel grove footage.

anyway.

I remember watching an episode with my cousins the Christmas after the show and our parents came in and went on a whole rant about the black guy being the black ranger. But we were kids so we never even thought about it, it was just cool to see someone like us as a bad rear end hero.

They definitely shouldn't have made TJ the black space ranger though, even if it for the footage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JT Smiley posted:

I remember watching an episode with my cousins the Christmas after the show and our parents came in and went on a whole rant about the black guy being the black ranger. But we were kids so we never even thought about it, it was just cool to see someone like us as a bad rear end hero.

They definitely shouldn't have made TJ the black space ranger though, even if it for the footage.

Correct. He should have been the Red Space ranger

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

JT Smiley posted:

I've heard both sides of the "Black Ranger" argument plenty of times. Frankly, it's not up to me to make the call on what's offensive to black people.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Correct. He should have been the Red Space ranger

Yeah totally, it sucks that not only did he have the shortest tenure as red ranger, the show never address this. He just falls in line with Andros like nothing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not as short as the girl. Or Skye I guess. Or Alex

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

Yeah totally, it sucks that not only did he have the shortest tenure as red ranger, the show never address this. He just falls in line with Andros like nothing.

To me it always felt like it was Andros and the other 4 rangers who rallied around TJ.

Also Zack was awesome,I may be a pasty white kid, but the guy could bust a move, do martial arts and had a bad rear end axegun. What's not to like.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

His pick up artist technique

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I always read the In Space dynamic as TJ being the Leader of Earth-based stuff, and Andros being the leader of Space-Based stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

However, it was Operation Overdrive. And then the dude stole a signed banner?

Yup. One to be sold for charity, as I understand it. And it came out it was very clearly not an accident, a "whoops, I walked off with this" deal but the guy decided to take what was not his.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What would he even want with it

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Big same. Zach and Aisha were huge for me as a kid.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who else was there even when Aisha was a thing? Was there Natasha Irons yet? Vixen? The lady from heroes for hire?

Black female superheros are rare, but even more so in 1994

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Who else was there even when Aisha was a thing? Was there Natasha Irons yet? Vixen? The lady from heroes for hire?

Black female superheros are rare, but even more so in 1994

Icon's sidekick Rocket showed up in '93 from Milestone Comics. Her last appearance is the Young Justice animated series.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Storm would have been around, and on TV. But yeah, very rare.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How could I forget loving Storm, that was Fox Kids other big new show!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I was thinking about how to write a show that would be the PR version of Akiba, and I realized that the mid-season high stakes fight would have to be against Drakkon. Except it’s Jason David Frank as himself, brainwashed by the villain to believe that he’s a Tommy who has been brainwashed to believe that he’s Drakkon. And while it doesn’t really factor into the fight, leading up to it the redundant brainwashing is always spoken in full like that.

“But.. why is he double brainwashed?”
“25 years of Evil Tommy plots and cameos. The guy’s REALLY easily brainwashed now.”

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

How could I forget loving Storm, that was Fox Kids other big new show!

There was Telly on Salute Your Shorts. Ghostwriter was also a super diverse show and spurned me on to be obsessed with Mozambique ever since I saw that story arc. There were lots of black women and girls on that show. Aisha is the first time I ever saw me on TV like that. Highlight of last Morphicon was telling Karan Ashley what that meant to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm talking about specifically superheroes

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I just met Zeo Yellow here at NYCC. She overheard me discussing the rumor that the Turbo and Zeo morphers were a pain to use properly on-set and confirmed it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DoctorWhat posted:

I just met Zeo Yellow here at NYCC. She overheard me discussing the rumor that the Turbo and Zeo morphers were a pain to use properly on-set and confirmed it.
It was all the wrist flicking and pop-up poo poo and alignment stuff, right?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lining up the keys and the Zeonizers was basically impossible under Posing Conditions and when Rocky hosed up the morph in the Turbo movie, Nakia's eye-roll was legit.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’m sure the Brachio morpher from Dino Thunder was even worse

Cause i can say from experience the toy morpher was a real pain in the rear end

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

It was all the wrist flicking and pop-up poo poo and alignment stuff, right?

DoctorWhat basically covered it, but as I explained somewhere up or down the thread, the problem was getting the turbo keys at the exact part of the morpher. The flash when they combine was intended to gloss over any poor accuracy the actors had.

Darth TNT posted:

Also Zack was awesome,I may be a pasty white kid, but the guy could bust a move, do martial arts and had a bad rear end axegun. What's not to like.

Everyone thinks Adam is awesome, but Adam has the unforgivable sin of Replacing Zack, so I've never liked him.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 5, 2018

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Started Jetman. Shlocky fun! I'm still a Super Sentai neophyte, but it seems easy to like.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, just a straight up curse-type scenario.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You have no idea how badly I needed this today

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

You have no idea how badly I needed this today

You didn't need this at all today!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A detonator?!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

And so, the Power Rangers efforts were completely pointless because the day was saved by our true heroes, Bulk and Skull.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, ancient hieroglyphics.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

DoctorWhat posted:

Lining up the keys and the Zeonizers was basically impossible under Posing Conditions

Watch TJ in the Forever Red morphing sequence, he's way off. Not that I blame him, it's kind of a small target. I think Kat was off in that new 25th anniversary episode too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

With that kind of shot on one dude wouldn't you just have him do it a bunch of times in a row and reset to neutral each time, and just keep rolling so you can cut out a good take? I know they were pressed for time on Forever Red but it's like a 3 second shot, you would think he could do about ten in 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Today it dawned on me season 2’s ridiculously cheap Dark Rangers could have just used the Dairanger main five costumes instead. And then after the Zyuranger PRs defeat them, Zordon could have melted down their coins to make the White Ranger.

Those hilariously cheap costumes are a gift that never stop giving, so I’m glad they didn’t do something this sensible.