Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
wormskull got me back into playing this, and i've been having fun. idk if enough people here play it to actually warrant a thread, but here it is anyway.

question about the labyrinth: is it worth running through if i'm not currently strong enough to kill izaro, or should i avoid it until i am?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the nerd wisdom is that you save labyrinth for like an act later than you unlock a section but I personally at least try once as early as I can

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i have the new hybrid warrior/necromancer class deep in the postgame atm and its easily the most broken character ive ever made, running around with an army of undead and frying everything with lightning is a good time

re: lab. it sucks but its made a lot better if you have a good quick movement skill to skip all the bullshit like shield/leap slam linked with attack speed. just rush for the boss encounters and ignore everything else, the reward is picking a subclass which is a huge permanent power boost so it's worth doing ASAP. but the boss is very tough so if youre not shredding the campaign maybe beef up a bit

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lab is pointless if you cant kill Izaro, but if you have range you can put down a decoy totem to deal with his auto attacks for the first two labs. At that point its a question of if you have enough damage to not fall asleep during the fight

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also make sure you have a movement skill that goes over fences and gaps otherwise it really sucks dealing with certain trapped areas.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I think the nerd wisdom is that you save labyrinth for like an act later than you unlock a section but I personally at least try once as early as I can

don't wait until after act 10 to fight izaro round 3, that resistance penalty hurts

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i dont think im gonna make a second character before the season's up so ive just been slapping vaals on everything

the whole game should just be the postgame maps its so fun, being able to sort of tweak what challenges you want or shotgunning it with alchs/vaals and going through something nearly impossible is cool

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm going to show izaro the steel key to my wooden front door and break his old loving mind

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm kind of curious: is there any currency i should be saving instead of using to craft low-end stuff to use? i tend to save most currency, but it's sort of hard to tell what's actually valuable or not.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i'm kind of curious: is there any currency i should be saving instead of using to craft low-end stuff to use? i tend to save most currency, but it's sort of hard to tell what's actually valuable or not.

chaos and the stuff with faces on it is really valuable, and fusings are pretty uncommon, so use fusings on gear you think you're gonna keep for a while

the currency system is really confusing and bad especially for newbies lol im starting to wonder if they'll ever consolidate it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

extremebuff posted:

chaos and the stuff with faces on it is really valuable, and fusings are pretty uncommon, so use fusings on gear you think you're gonna keep for a while

the currency system is really confusing and bad especially for newbies lol im starting to wonder if they'll ever consolidate it

that's more or less what i was doing, so that's cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.filterblade.xyz/ if you go to download on this page and keep the default settings this is a great loot filter, it highlights valuable items, makes the really important stuff (uniques, rare currency, items that can be traded for valuables etc.) shoot a big beam of light up and even marks them on the minimap so you dont miss them, while also filtering out all the useless junk

it makes the game so much easier to read and understand lol the devs support it officially and idk why they dont just integrate it into the loving release instead of asking you to DL stuff off some weird sites when it's so popular

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its also pretty much mandatory in the lategame when every screen is shoulder-to-shoulder with hundreds of enemies all dropping their own stuff. i mean look at this comparison between no filter v. filter lol why is this not in the game by default

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh yeah - is there any reason to keep skill gems that i don't plan on using immediately? i've found that they're somewhat easy to buy later in the game, but also am worried about missing something that might be useful later.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

oh yeah - is there any reason to keep skill gems that i don't plan on using immediately? i've found that they're somewhat easy to buy later in the game, but also am worried about missing something that might be useful later.

you should keep the gems with quality since you can trade a bunch of them in for the currency that upgrades gems, but otherwise not really. you unlock vendors later on that sell every single skill in the game for a pittance

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

If you want to use currency productively using alts to make the flasks you want is basically all reward and no risk

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also the ones you buy from vendors come with experience already on them but drops are level 1 so I generally don't bother outside the early game. I do keep ones I cant buy on my current character though, just in case.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

extremebuff posted:

you should keep the gems with quality since you can trade a bunch of them in for the currency that upgrades gems, but otherwise not really. you unlock vendors later on that sell every single skill in the game for a pittance

ok, that's what i figured. i also haven't run into any gems that have variant qualities so far apart from Vaals.

i'm probably not going to ask anything else, but wanted to clear those things up before i perma-screwed myself.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
There are some gems that can't be bought from normal vendors and some that aren't sold by any vendor, but they're rare enough that they should stand out if they do drop. If you want the list to be sure, here's the wiki page.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

ok, that's what i figured. i also haven't run into any gems that have variant qualities so far apart from Vaals.

i'm probably not going to ask anything else, but wanted to clear those things up before i perma-screwed myself.

the only real long term mistakes you can make is not inviting zana to your hideout or using an orb with a face to craft. Any other mistake can be solved by throwing enough regrets at it, unlike real life.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i bet izaro, which is nice, but i just fought the high templar and died an embarassing number of times taking him down. i think the problem might be that i haven't meaningfully upgraded my gear in a really long time because i need a really specific combo of gem slots. is there a place i can run that has nice drop rates so i can try to find decent replacements with better modifiers?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i bet izaro, which is nice, but i just fought the high templar and died an embarassing number of times taking him down. i think the problem might be that i haven't meaningfully upgraded my gear in a really long time because i need a really specific combo of gem slots. is there a place i can run that has nice drop rates so i can try to find decent replacements with better modifiers?
At a certain point you just have to take the damage penalty or w/e of dropping some gems just so you can have the health and defense you need.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

if youre struggling on a boss and feel like your gear is dated, kill the local mobs for drops. look out for gear that'd be easy/worthwhile to invest into, alchs aren't too rare and it won't take many tries to get a helm thats better than the one you've had for 20 levels

high templar is also really strong, even with topped off lightning res and a tanky character he shreds me sometimes, you're supposed to just gtfo when he does any of his big moves

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
max elemental resists, get life from passive tree, thanks bye

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

StoryTime posted:

max elemental resists, get life from passive tree, thanks bye

dont post like this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

random skeleton dropped this :worship:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
ᴇxᴛʀᴀ ɢᴏʀᴇ

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Once you get used to the game, I recommend trying hardcore mode at least once. Boss fights have a huge increase in tension and the sense of accomplishment is much higher when you beat them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

given that a lag spike or all kinds of bs can instantly kill even a well built character i think HC is loving miserable, the game just isn't built with it in mind, no diablolike is imo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

ᴇxᴛʀᴀ ɢᴏʀᴇ

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
This seems like the right thread to post this insanely sweet roll I got on a hand cannon in destiny 2

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

goferchan posted:

This seems like the right thread to post this insanely sweet roll I got on a hand cannon in destiny 2

gas

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

no thanks, sorry

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i think the blood acqueducts in act 9 has a good chance of dropping one-ninth of the "six linked white slots but nothing else" unique. grinding it sounds miserable tho and i always just pay the 15c or however much it costs to buy it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im really deep in the postgame and i dont have anything better than a 4link and every boss dies in 3 seconds lol. itd be nice to get that next level but like, it's not a big deal, don't stress over poo poo like that.

the tabula rasa (6link w/ nothing) can make the game a lot harder for certain builds since the chest piece is a huge part of your defense and health

e: im gonna stream some of this when im out of work later so people can see what the postgame's like since i know a bunch of imps are playing now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
i wish it was the next league

• Locked thread