Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fender Anarchist posted:

I don't know how she manages to pull off the "annoying toddler asking too many questions" with perfect cadence, while somehow managing to not be completely obnoxious to the audience.

Props to Matt too, for always being the ultimate straight man for everyone to play off.

I know he's an actor and all, but Matt is still really, really good at the improv rule of 'yes, and.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dawgstar posted:

I know he's an actor and all, but Matt is still really, really good at the improv rule of 'yes, and.'

I find that the role of DM is more about saying "yes, but."

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I find that the role of DM is more about saying "yes, but."

Matt's real good about this, but at the same time if on the eve of a major arc-ending battle, one player decided to point to one of the imaginary soldiers and do a bit about one being his character's old buddy from high school, I can't imagine most DM's would just roll with it like Matt did :v:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I consider it a triumph that a lot of CR doesn't have players overtly just sneering contemptuously at villain motives or pathos or calling them losers and nerdlords. That was also honestly a big part of why Scanlan was annoying at times - his antics actively dragged everyone else, villain and hero alike, into enforced farce.

I know as a GM I personally find that sort of impulse from players toxic and tedious.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 14, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Toxic is kind of a harsh word, and maybe very overused these days.

Myself I try to keep good notes on supposed villains and antagonists, just like I do with any other NPC. It doesn't end up meaning much in my table games usually, as it isn't often you see a full story. But it's come in handy for my online game.

They're all good friends, and Sam has his antics just as himself so Scanlan kind of being himself turned up to 11 is not very surprising really. Especially given it was his first character, and it's very common for people to lean on that because it's easy to on the fly decide what will happen.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arthil posted:

A lot of people forget that Scanlan was made to be a joke character. His backstory is literally cribbing from 8-Mile/Eminem as said by Sam. There's always moments where someone will get frustrated over the actions a character makes, but faults are what make them entertaining.

What isn't entertaining... is seeing people try to lynch anyone who even goes "Wait... that's not how that is supposed to work?" In any chat. Twitch, if you can even read it. Alpha, which is even worse. People seem to think that if a person says "But that should have worked, unless it's [something]" is some grand insult to Matt, and watching people being shouted down and "Homebrew rule! Hombrew rule!" thrown around is just irritating beyond belief.

Homebrew rules are set up before a game begins usually, and they're agreed upon by everyone... hopefully. They can't seem to accept that hey, a mistake was made and... it's okay for someone to be annoyed if that mistake has negative consequences for the players when it shouldn't have.

As someone who is more of the engineer GM who loves building clever set pieces and really believes good mechanics enhances roleplaying, I loving hate these people. I'm kinda glad I never get to watch it love because the chat just seems like the worst poo poo imaginable.

Dawgstar posted:

I mean I hate to point this out again and again but having a group that is playing well and good at just trying and suggesting things is 50% of what make this difficult. Matts a good GM but from watching it, a big part of that is just going and doing a shitload of prep work beforehand. I find you can tell whats been set up as a core eye catching sequence/character/town and whats an on the fly thing to some degree (hes got, like most GMs, a handful of core descriptive words to talk about something that he needs to improve). 'Yes, and..' is a good principle to follow but its only ever useful if you've got a group of players that all know how to roll off eachother so that you've got a good general flow to keep that 'yes, and' going. Improv itself is so dependent both sides of the improv continuing to play off eachother and provide additionally open ended answers so that when the next person has to come up with something they havn't been locked off onto a path.

I would bet you that you throw even a solid gm like Matt with a group of people that didn't know each other very well and didn't know Matt either and that flow falls apart very quickly. Tabletop roleplaying is a team sport, and you genuinely need to have both good players and a good GM for this to work. A lot of rpgs don't even have a central GM style character or their role is entirely different to D&D and its easier to see that requirement. I genuinely wish there was more info out there for being a good player but I guess the horror stories of 'that guy' are at least enough to tell people that there can be both good and bad players.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 15, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I might have a sticking point about how stealth mechanics work thanks to a recent event, so I did personally feel it's rather important. Especially when it's an escape option for a squishy cleric.

But on the topic of things to help you be a good player, I actually found a video which focused on Travis as a prime example of how to be a Great Player. It's hard to contest that out of most of the group, he is always incredibly attentive, and also usually very excited about stuff happening to others at the table. On the flip side I don't know what his note-taking habits are, and in general most at the table are taking them... Marisha's note-taking game is a step above.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 15, 2018

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Arthil posted:

I might have a sticking point about how stealth mechanics work thanks to a recent event, so I did personally feel it's rather important. Especially when it's an escape option for a squishy cleric.

But on the topic of things to help you be a good player, I actually found a video which focused on Travis as a prime example of how to be a Great Player. It's hard to contest that out of most of the group, he is always incredibly attentive, and also usually very excited about stuff happening to others at the table. On the flip side I don't know what his note-taking habits are, and in general most at the table are taking them... Marisha's note-taking game is a step above.

Marisha has almost everything written down. Laura is pretty good. Sam. Writes alot down but either can't read his own handwriting or just doesn't understand what he's written. The rest seem 'okay' at notes. Travis is better in the post Grog world.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arthil posted:

Yeah 5e's stealth mechanics are a hot mess and there are now 3 'official optional maybe idk' ways to do stealth on top lol.

Real talk, note taking is the least important skill you need to have as a player.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

kingcom posted:

Yeah 5e's stealth mechanics are a hot mess and there are now 3 'official optional maybe idk' ways to do stealth on top lol.

Real talk, note taking is the least important skill you need to have as a player.

It will make your DM love you, though.

But yeah... some DM's don't use passive perception, which kind of makes Stealth even more powerful than it already can be. Slap Invisibility on top of that and welp.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the new between the sheets with Sam is up on youtube and just incredibly cute

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/marisha_ray/status/1052032826055438337?s=21

Matt continues to be a drunk crier.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Sam is going to wear that picture as a shirt one of these days.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Lucas Archer posted:

Even Sam has his limits.

I hope.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Adnor posted:

Even Sam has his limits.

I hope.

After the roller skates/vinyl onesie with a light up crotch I think there are no limits.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Lucas Archer posted:

https://twitter.com/samriegel/status/1052059852199976961

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Sam doesn't know the difference between right and wrong.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Adnor posted:

Even Sam has his limits.

I hope.

Sam knows now that Matt can and will get his revenge, no matter how long it takes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sam is literally a chaotic fae being.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arthil posted:

It will make your DM love you, though.

But yeah... some DM's don't use passive perception, which kind of makes Stealth even more powerful than it already can be. Slap Invisibility on top of that and welp.

I'm the GM and don't worry its cool, theres like 50 other things that are more helpful for my players do. Note taking is nice but its real low on the list.

So yeah stealth we got now like:

To check for stealth:
Everyone rolls, anyone fails you're all detected.
If on average the party fails then they're detected.
If character has stealth proficiency then they can take disadvantage to give advantage to another character, all characters must pass stealth or detected.

To check perception against players:
Static DC
Monster Passive Perception
Monster Perception Checks as group
Monster Perception Checks as individuals

Also despite there only being one way of doing surprise (surprise is a status effect that is removed once a character has their first initiative turn, this is super important and forgotten a lot as you once you've had your surprise status removed you can take reactions again so high initiative means you can do stuff in the first turn before the enemies who havn't seen do anything) people still think surprise rounds are a thing.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Oh...Sam... :allears:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pinwiz11 posted:

Oh...Sam... :allears:

Dear god he's going to be like this the entire episode :zombie:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

There's a Laura Bailey one shot next week!!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Taliesin playing a grave domain cleric is such a great combo.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Cure Wounds is the best tool for torture.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Grinning Goblin posted:

Cure Wounds is the best tool for torture.

Clerics, man. They're hosed up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
you fruit?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Travis is learning important parenting skills tonight.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Tee

Pee

Kay

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Jesus christ that was a terrifying close call. Hell I could totally see places where Matt pointedly was letting them get away with action rethinking - which is fine to my mind because system mastery for basic competency is bullshit.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Oh god my butthole was clenched for the last half of the fight. That was intense, and boy what a time for Caleb not to have Fireball ready.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
It could have been so much worse. Fluffernutter could have worked!

Hydras are bullshit! Hydra plus an abomination?!

And let's not forget there's still an entire city of yuan-ti outside, probably searching!

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I actually thought it was going to be worse than a Hydra, thought it was an Anathema.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not going to lie, I don't think I like the way Travis plays Yasha. I get that he's obviously the best candidate to pilot a barbarian - it's not like he has to stop to look up rules the way they always did when someone had to pilot Pike - but she's just so wildly out of character whenever he plays her. Which is impressive because she barely has any character beyond 'stoic'. But Travis seems to ship Beau/Yasha so he keeps having Yasha flirt back (the wink and yelling about not touching Beau) and like... Ashley never has her do that. Ashley's Yasha hasn't even seemed to notice Beau is flirting with her at all. It's bugging me.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm not going to lie, I don't think I like the way Travis plays Yasha. I get that he's obviously the best candidate to pilot a barbarian - it's not like he has to stop to look up rules the way they always did when someone had to pilot Pike - but she's just so wildly out of character whenever he plays her. Which is impressive because she barely has any character beyond 'stoic'. But Travis seems to ship Beau/Yasha so he keeps having Yasha flirt back (the wink and yelling about not touching Beau) and like... Ashley never has her do that. Ashley's Yasha hasn't even seemed to notice Beau is flirting with her at all. It's bugging me.

I wouldn't say that is entirely true. She has the occasional flirtatious moment, such as in the baths.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 19, 2018

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Well, that was a hell of an intense ride. Of all the days for Caleb to load up on utility magic instead of death-by-fire spells. Though to be fair, haste & slow are a potent combo.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Nah.

I'm fairly certain with this group of friends, Travis got a simple primer of how Yasha would act in general. On top of that... Yasha just doesn't have much characterization -period-, which really sucks.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wyld Karde posted:

Well, that was a hell of an intense ride. Of all the days for Caleb to load up on utility magic instead of death-by-fire spells. Though to be fair, haste & slow are a potent combo.

just caught up and yeah, awful lot of really unfortunate rolls in a row, or minor mistakes that lead to people not being able to use class features (like Tal got repeatedly stymied by how he needs both a reaction and line of sight to cancel enemy crits, and I think you can actually see the moment he realized he would've had an automatic max heal on Beau when she was down).

Qonas
Apr 21, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

But Travis seems to ship Beau/Yasha so he keeps having Yasha flirt back (the wink and yelling about not touching Beau) and like... Ashley never has her do that. Ashley's Yasha hasn't even seemed to notice Beau is flirting with her at all. It's bugging me.

Totally agreed. That seemed like adding character RP he himself wanted while not being the actual actor behind the character. I was 500% not cool with that.

Additionally, it felt like Matt was a bit too merciful with the combats this go-around. I'm not one to subscribe to that theory at all, I'm not one of these weird "THERE MUST ALWAYS BE DEATH" people. And I can see Beau getting out of dodge with Avantica doing her rogue poo poo in the first fight, but the hydra turning away from a kill after it downed Beau didn't feel right at all. And with how much both Liam and Marisha were throwing shade about the difficulty, it seemed like Matt tapered it off at the end to appease them and the Tumblr audience who complained about Molly's death. It felt like a solid combat that got neutered at the end.

Though I do feel a bit of Liam's frustration was much the same as Travis' during the boat stealing combat - Fjord is a sailor, but in a fight playing up to that character history Travis spent a turn completely ignoring the actual boat and charging below decks. He was obviously upset with himself. It felt like Liam's frustration was coming from the same thing - this was a fight that was to play into Caleb's strength, except he prepared mostly support/control spells this go around and didn't pack the fire.

Qonas fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Qonas posted:

Totally agreed. That seemed like adding character RP he himself wanted while not being the actual actor behind the character. I was 500% not cool with that.

Additionally, it felt like Matt was a bit too merciful with the combats this go-around. I'm not one to subscribe to that theory at all, I'm not one of these weird "THERE MUST ALWAYS BE DEATH" people. And I can see Beau getting out of dodge with Avantica doing her rogue poo poo in the first fight, but the hydra turning away from a kill after it downed Beau didn't feel right at all. And with how much both Liam and Marisha were throwing shade about the difficulty, it seemed like Matt tapered it off at the end to appease them and the Tumblr audience who complained about Molly's death. It felt like a solid combat that got neutered at the end.

Though I do feel a bit of Liam's frustration was much the same as Travis' during the boat stealing combat - Fjord is a sailor, but in a fight playing up to that character history Travis spent a turn completely ignoring the actual boat and charging below decks. He was obviously upset with himself. It felt like Liam's frustration was coming from the same thing - this was a fight that was to play into Caleb's strength, except he prepared mostly support/control spells this go around and didn't pack the fire.

Eh, that didn't bother me so much. It was pretty apparent the Yuan-ti Abomination was absolutely going to kill Beau if Nott hadn't finished it off. The Hydra isn't going to stop and eat her while there's people elsewhere in the room hitting it.