Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Muteba is now my favourite character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Jerry has realized that Gensai is half-man, half-tank, which means he's achieved what Jerry never could - he is literally a weapon, not just an imitation. His mechanical parts are why he's signed to Motorhead Motors.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like how Setsuna is just muttering "niko style... kill..." the whole fight

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
You know, as absolutely great as Muteba is, I think Tomari helps sell the chapter just as much.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
One reason gensai might actually win is that killing setsuna isn't Ohma's goal anymore. Its just being the strongest person

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

Rename the thread to SWEET JESUS.
Is that your motherfucking final answer? :cool:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Joseance posted:

One reason gensai might actually win is that killing setsuna isn't Ohma's goal anymore. Its just being the strongest person

Yeah, that's a good point.

Also characters don't drop out of the story just cause they lost, so even if Setsuna loses he's not really out of the plot just yet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Unless Gensai decides to explode Setsuna's heart with his magic fingers that can carve stone.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Look at that masterful feint by Gensai. He's made it look like he's having the first flashback, but it's actually a flashback for Setsuna's teacher. This not only gets Setsuna to let his guard down, thinking flashbacks are now safe, it obliges him to also flashback at length about his training, weakening him further.

Also I like how the teacher was initially portrayed as basically Akuma, but we now see he was a pretty chill guy.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
they're also hanging out in the bar that yuujiro hanma frequents.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

You know, as absolutely great as Muteba is, I think Tomari helps sell the chapter just as much.
She's one of the few CEO's that constantly gets to interact with their fighter, and she's got a great fiery personality to go with Muteba's cool demeanor.

where the red fern gropes posted:

it is now retroactively ok for jun to have lost to muteba

It works because Muteba is a cool dude, but also because next up would have been Wakatsuki vs Jun, and Jun can't really afford to be tanking tiger punches and blast cores so having the combat pragmatist go on instead keeps things interesting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Look at that masterful feint by Gensai. He's made it look like he's having the first flashback, but it's actually a flashback for Setsuna's teacher. This not only gets Setsuna to let his guard down, thinking flashbacks are now safe, it obliges him to also flashback at length about his training, weakening him further.

Also I like how the teacher was initially portrayed as basically Akuma, but we now see he was a pretty chill guy.

lol

Brought To You By posted:

She's one of the few CEO's that constantly gets to interact with their fighter, and she's got a great fiery personality to go with Muteba's cool demeanor.

It works because Muteba is a cool dude, but also because next up would have been Wakatsuki vs Jun, and Jun can't really afford to be tanking tiger punches and blast cores so having the combat pragmatist go on instead keeps things interesting.

Ohma vs Muteba would be the best end to this side of the tournament for sure and i hope wakatsuki loses the next fight because he's boring

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm so glad Le Sapeur is now in a manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

Jerry has realized that Gensai is half-man, half-tank, which means he's achieved what Jerry never could - he is literally a weapon, not just an imitation. His mechanical parts are why he's signed to Motorhead Motors.

Jerry already said this about Ohma.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The extra chapter is a bit of a retcon. Originally Muteba approached that ship on a little dinghy, and the pirates definitely would've noticed a helicopter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

The extra chapter is a bit of a retcon. Originally Muteba approached that ship on a little dinghy, and the pirates definitely would've noticed a helicopter.

I'll take it because it made Muteba a lot cooler.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The most important measure of each fighter's character in this manga is their ability to become rival fightbros with another fighter, and those who do not either offer or accept another's offer are all garbage assholes. Raian made no such attempts. Akoya obviously didn't, even when graciously offered, because All Cops Are Bastards. Meguro was a psychopath who couldn't. It's also why I'm not too keen on Julius.
Agito became Okuba's, which is a point in his favor after seeming kind of flat. Muteba offered his respects to Sekibayashi, so he's not irredeemable. Sekibayashi is so great, that he picked up Akoya's slack with Harou.

Now we see Gensai hanging out in a flashback with someone he calls a competitor, so we know he's alright.

Also, I think those two panels of Jerry Tyson thinking would make a nice gif.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 17, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
julius isn't a nice guy, but he's so amazingly eccentric that i still like him despite how he destroyed the ballet dude.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Interesting to note that Muteba emerges from the water on the Opposite side of the ship where the dingy is spotted.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Make that "Sigh...what an amateur" thing an emote

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

julius isn't a nice guy, but he's so amazingly eccentric that i still like him despite how he destroyed the ballet dude.

We might see him be a bit more chill now that he's lost. We know he's polite enough to ask restaurants permission to bring in his protein shakes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In retrospect, isn't Haruo's whole gimmick sorta similar to Wakatsuki's? I feel like he also had some "innately abnormally high strength" thing going on. If anything, they made his strength seem even more exaggerated in some ways than Wakatsuki's (like the crazy backflipping as a morbidly obese dude stuff).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

In retrospect, isn't Haruo's whole gimmick sorta similar to Wakatsuki's? I feel like he also had some "innately abnormally high strength" thing going on. If anything, they made his strength seem even more exaggerated in some ways than Wakatsuki's (like the crazy backflipping as a morbidly obese dude stuff).

Yeah Haruo's whole thing was that he was a tribesman who was an impossible physical prodigy and he turned into a giant goon because his CEO decided the best way to control him was to tempt him with decadent modern society.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wakatsuki was able to free himself of the decadence of modern life because he was too strong to play games as a child.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Haruo had an entire modern childhood mainlined into his brain in the space of like a year or two. That's a lot of cartoons and video games for one man to take.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
But yeah I hope Haruo keeps getting to show up and regain the confidence he had in his youth.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You know, there's one scenario we haven't entertained for the Kiryu Gensai fight.

What if they're so powerful that they both kill each other?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

That's one of multiple ships Muteba has de-piratized.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

trucutru posted:

That's one of multiple ships Muteba has de-piratized.

It looks exactly the same and Muteba says the same thing when he gets aboard.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

It looks exactly the same and Muteba says the same thing when he gets aboard.

Man's gotta have a catchphrase.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Turns out it just was a random dinghy.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

McTimmy posted:

Turns out it just was a random dinghy.

It was the dinghy that the hijackers originally came in on before hijacking the arms manufacturer's ship.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

it's an endangered species thats why there was only one

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dr Christmas posted:

The most important measure of each fighter's character in this manga is their ability to become rival fightbros with another fighter, and those who do not either offer or accept another's offer are all garbage assholes. Raian made no such attempts. Akoya obviously didn't, even when graciously offered, because All Cops Are Bastards. Meguro was a psychopath who couldn't. It's also why I'm not too keen on Julius.
Agito became Okuba's, which is a point in his favor after seeming kind of flat. Muteba offered his respects to Sekibayashi, so he's not irredeemable. Sekibayashi is so great, that he picked up Akoya's slack with Harou.

Now we see Gensai hanging out in a flashback with someone he calls a competitor, so we know he's alright.

Also, I think those two panels of Jerry Tyson thinking would make a nice gif.

Mokichi Robinson became friends with erioh

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
It's time for that lazy rear end to wake up, he's been sleeping for a hundred chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mokichi was such a chump. the manga presented his fight as a clash between two powerful bloodlines, when really one was the result of an insane selective breeding program that lasted for hundreds of years and the other had a single strong ancestor. that's what you call a normal person.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
He's strong for a normie non-monster. Don't be so hard on him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i get why they maintained the pretense, but it was still unsatisfying. presenting the match as a pretty good martial artist vs. a ruthless man-beast borne of eugenics would have given it away too early.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
if the second series features the same fighters who do you want fighting raian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Someone completely new who's more brutal than him and makes him job so he has to use all the secret Kure techniques he ignored previously in the rematch to win.