Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I found a great tutorial!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

thats cool, where was it posted?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Posted a wip escape pod last month for Escape from Aeon.

https://twitter.com/ghostknot_games/status/1000785611459039238

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 28, 2018

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hi pixel thread, I've been busy!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

I never thought to do a 2-step size reduction. That seems to interpolate a lot better than doing it in one shot.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Make this your new av. Do it for us. Do it for Lowtax.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Scut posted:

Make this your new av. Do it for us. Do it for Lowtax.

I dunnnoooooo what if I abandon the project again?

Also I totally forgot I did this as well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shoehead posted:

I dunnnoooooo what if I abandon the project again?

Also I totally forgot I did this as well

Oh man that owns

I love doomlady

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Can we post other poeple’s art for comment? I’ve commissioned a few pieces in a couple of styles as concept art for a game I have rolling around in my head, and I wouldn’t mind getting opinions on them.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Please do, it's interesting to see different artists' take on the same subject matter.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
Those smears are excellent :D

Also, my game is out next week!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/718120/Jack_B_Nimble/

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 21, 2018

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nice work! I saw that one making the rounds on twitter.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Thanks, trying 2 pixel more...

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Haven't posted in here in a bit but a few months ago I got to do some work for a pixel art zine, which is finally ready to be sold to folk. We were past 200% funded the last time I checked so I'm pretty sure everyone who orders will get a copy. All the profits are going to Ablegamers too. US and Canada only though, Fedex were being dicks about shipping :\

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/squared-up-a-pixel-art-zine#/

Anyway here's my contribution. I finally saved up enough for a cintiq

And in the meantime I've been working on this gun thing

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Congrats on getting to take part in that zine. Your game sprite makes me want to dig up a copy of Halloween Harry.

I finished a matte background for Temporus.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
good forms

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i dont normally post in this thread because i dont consider what i do to be good enough to be considered pixel art (and i dont practice any kind of pallet contro) but i spent a lot of time on this so id appreciate any kind of critique

Al! fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 16, 2018

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I'm not an artist, but I'd investigate cyborg crimes in that world.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al! posted:

i dont normally post in this thread because i dont consider what i do to be good enough to be considered pixel art (and i dont practice any kind of pallet contro) but i spent a lot of time on this so id appreciate any kind of critique

That is exceptionally cool. I especially like the way it glows.

If I had to nitpick something I'd say the dots where the rain hits the ground look kinda stuttery, is there just 2 frames for the rain? The falling rain looks fine, but the dots on the ground kinda stand out to me.

The spot light, the neon, the smoke, everything looks great otherwise.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Zaphod42 posted:

That is exceptionally cool. I especially like the way it glows.

If I had to nitpick something I'd say the dots where the rain hits the ground look kinda stuttery, is there just 2 frames for the rain? The falling rain looks fine, but the dots on the ground kinda stand out to me.

The spot light, the neon, the smoke, everything looks great otherwise.

its three frames for the rain, it's a good critique because generally i think three frames are enough for rain but this is so detailed it probably needs more

the genre of pixel art i work in is basically "fictional lucasarts adventure game backgrounds" which tbh isn't something i see elsewhere very often

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

There's a lot to like here. I'd suggest halving your canvas size, and try working within a constrained palette. Both will free up mental resources and time that you can put into form and composition.

There's a guy on twitter I follow, Matt Frith, who draws a lot of adventure game backgrounds. His work is something I look up to.
http://www.mattfrith.com/

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Something i'm working on during my free time. I'm trying to do something reminiscent of lucasarts adventure games.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

is the text supposed to say “infinite sustain”?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yep. It's a little roguelike I work on with friends. Our musician chose the title because it's both thematic to some of the gameplay goals as well as some of the music styles.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Scut posted:

Yep. It's a little roguelike I work on with friends. Our musician chose the title because it's both thematic to some of the gameplay goals as well as some of the music styles.

Sounds (heh) good. BTW the “a” looks too much like a “d”.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh yes you're right I'll edit.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Spent way too long on this. Using Frankiepixelshow's palette from his ongoing WeekendRPG project. I was intending to do another style imitation going into it but quickly go distracted and just kept the colors.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Scarodactyl posted:

Spent way too long on this. Using Frankiepixelshow's palette from his ongoing WeekendRPG project. I was intending to do another style imitation going into it but quickly go distracted and just kept the colors.

Where can I find that palette? I'm not familiar with the guy and he seemed to be all over the place.

nevermind, Found it.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 18, 2018

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

He made a general palette post on Tumblr that includes it http://frankiesmileshow.tumblr.com/post/134216038666/how-do-you-go-about-picking-your-own-colors-do

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

What a gut.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Loving it man, massive improvement!

Want to recommend Pedro Medeiros Patreon, incase i haven't already, does a bunch of tutorials for pixel art, one per week apparently: https://www.patreon.com/saint11

I'm still doing life drawing and just making incremental changes and improvements to my stuff, nothing major, i don't want to clog up this thread with stuff that's derivative but here's where i'm at:

Trying out a more chunkier style, trying to do less AA and focusing on more clusters, which should hopefully make it easier to animate, still not 100% on the arms though. Nothing major though, i feel if i can't get the base down there's no point in making any more, hence why i spend so much time on it.

Sorry that it's not wildly divergent and that i'm still working on the same thing, i find pixel art really therapeutic and i normally go to it when i need it, so i haven't touched it in a while, plus i'm constantly trying to improve on my old stuff, taking techniques, advice, tips, colours, palettes, methods etc from other pixel arts and games with pixel art. Seeing Wargroove (https://wargroove.com/) chug along and getting closer to coming out really makes me want to get back to doing my assets and art, but right now it just remains a passion project/hobby.

I'll move on at some point... probably.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
A couple more enemy unit portraits:

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Posted in game making thread. First post here. Um. Yup. Hi all

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

You've captured that aesthetic very nicely. If I would criticize anything you have some dark edge pixels on some of the swirly helix fossil looking things that would antialaias against a dark background but basically act as stray pixels on the light one they're against. Overall look is very nice.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
The water edge has a dark outline that doesn't sit quite right. I would try white at the edge of the water to give some sense of waves frothing against the shore.

This set looks a lot better when you view it scaled up, which I think is true for a lot of classic game maps these days.

The grass palette is really nice too!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

anothergod posted:

Posted in game making thread. First post here. Um. Yup. Hi all

I'd play that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012