Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Anyone seeing Supernews slooow today? 350KB/s vs blocknews 5MB+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

I've been running powerusenet as a provider for close to a decade, anything better out there as providers go these days?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I've been using ninja for like a year. No problems. Dude had an issue with payment processor for a while and gave us free access for the whole time.

newsgroup.ninja

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Newsdemon usually has a pretty good Black Friday deal if you can wait a month.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
A non highwinds one, https://www.usenetexpress.com/ Then have a cheap highwinds provider for block backup.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I use free-usenet blocks. They run 2 for 1 terabytes a few times a year.

With my current usage I have about 3 years of prepaid data to use for about $60.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Laserface posted:

I use free-usenet blocks. They run 2 for 1 terabytes a few times a year.

With my current usage I have about 3 years of prepaid data to use for about $60.

Why would anyone use an unlimited account? With block accounts you pay ~$0.01 per GB in a 500GB block, and unlimited is ~$10/mo. It would take 1TB/mo+ to recoup that cost with a unlimited monthly account.

edit: math

salted hash browns fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 18, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

salted hash browns posted:

Why would anyone use an unlimited account? With block accounts you pay ~$0.04 per GB in a 500GB block, and unlimited is ~$10/mo. It would take 100TB/mo+ to recoup that cost with a unlimited monthly account.

I actually pay $3.33 a month for unlimited but I understand your argument. But realistically most people have a main unlimited and a block account for full coverage on backend providers if done correctly (i.e. having an unlimited and block account on Highwinds makes no sense to do).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Why would anyone use an unlimited account? With block accounts you pay ~$0.04 per GB in a 500GB block, and unlimited is ~$10/mo. It would take 100TB/mo+ to recoup that cost with a unlimited monthly account.

Huh? I don't quite follow that math. What i see there is $20/500GB block. $10/month for unlimited. So, the only way the block is worth it is if I download less than 250GB per month. To make it worth I would need to buy that 500GB block less than every 2 months. It's even worse if you look at the yearly plan ($90/year) but even so, 250GB per month is nothing.

I use newsgroupdirect now, $75/year. Relatively ok, 50 connection 3700 days retention.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
Whoops, extra zero. Updated, here is the math I meant:

$5 for 500GB at UsenetExpress = $0.01/GB
$10/mo unlimited
1TB/mo

Point taken, I can't imagine 100s of GB/mo :)

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Volguus posted:

Huh? I don't quite follow that math. What i see there is $20/500GB block. $10/month for unlimited. So, the only way the block is worth it is if I download less than 250GB per month. To make it worth I would need to buy that 500GB block less than every 2 months. It's even worse if you look at the yearly plan ($90/year) but even so, 250GB per month is nothing.

I use newsgroupdirect now, $75/year. Relatively ok, 50 connection 3700 days retention.

I am on the same BUT, I got in at $40/year

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
A couple weeks ago I downgraded from a "76Mbps" internet package to a "38Mbps" one, for half the price. And at the same time moved from Supernews ($9.99) whom I've been with for about 6 years, to the Usenet.farm stingy package at €4.95. (No idea who's the backend to Usenet.farm?)

I was getting ~7.8MB/s, now I'm getting a solid 4.4MB/s

Quite happy with it so far, but may look at block accounts instead in a couple months, after I see what my data usage is like with the reduced speeds.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So I’ve been using newshosting for years now on an unlimited plan and have blocknews as a backup. Are they both using the same upstream provider because I’ve pretty much never been able to successfully download anything with nzbget when articles have been removed from the main server.

After looking at a provider map I see they both are highwinds so no wonder it’s not doing anything for me. Looking at this map I see Tweaknews which is not highwinds but still owned by omicron media group (which owns highwinds). Would a newshosting / Tweaknews combo work for me to get what I want? Do Tweaknews block accounts expire?

Just tried trials for cheapnews and tweaknews as fill accounts and they didn’t work either. I am guessing what I’m trying to download is outside their retention. The upload is 1069 days old.

This is what I get no matter which block provider I try

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 18, 2018

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Why would anyone use an unlimited account? With block accounts you pay ~$0.01 per GB in a 500GB block, and unlimited is ~$10/mo. It would take 1TB/mo+ to recoup that cost with a unlimited monthly account.

Some of us download more than 1TB / month :clint:

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

Some of us download more than 1TB / month :clint:

I would be one of those.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

derk posted:

I would be one of those.

While I'm a good customer I went over the limit of Comcast's limit. So I have another "courtesy month". I'm tempted to blast through as much as I can in December.

1TB isn't really that much. It is sort of a joke in most ways.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

While I'm a good customer I went over the limit of Comcast's limit. So I have another "courtesy month". I'm tempted to blast through as much as I can in December.

10 years ago it would have been tough, but yea, now, blu ray and UHD and all that stuff out there, way too easy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah I keep a close eye on mine, then buy an 8TB hard disk and go to town once every 6 months or so. Never gonna get caught in the trap of eating a courtesy month because I went over by 10gb or something.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ugh, I used to have Comcast which was pretty bad, but somehow Cox is even worse. 1TB cap, no courtesy overages, $10 automatically billed per every 50GB above 1TB.

The only upside is (probably only because I now live in a smaller city), Cox's downspeed is way more consistent than Comcast was.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

derk posted:

10 years ago it would have been tough, but yea, now, blu ray and UHD and all that stuff out there, way too easy.

That's the thing. People will say "holy cow how can you use 1TB in a month?" with an incredulous look on their face.

Meanwhile about every AAA game you download is 80-100GB so tack that on with your streaming habits.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

After I switched to DirecTVNow from regular DirecTV I regularly went over the 1TB cap on comcast. Had to pony up the extra $50 to switch to the unlimited plan.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Verizon home internet via 5G is rolling out in my area soon.
They advertise ~300 Mbps internet with no caps for $80/mo.

I had to eat a curtesy month from Comcrap last month.
I will be trying out Verizon the second it becomes available.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 18, 2018

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You might want to edit out that last part.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
For the heavy Usenet users, I feel like the $10/month unlimited plans are probably never cost effective. FrugalUsenet is $5/month or $50/year for 1000 days retention year round. This plus a block plan for fills (or older stuff) is probably a better plan than any $10/month solution. Then keep your eyes peeled around black friday for the yearly NewsDemon (tho they will cancel on you randomly) or ThunderNews deal to get a regular Highwinds server retention for $5/month or less.

For not heavy users, blocks on sale all the way.

xgalaxy posted:

Verizon home internet via 5G is rolling out in my area soon.
They advertise ~300 Mbps internet with no caps for $80/mo.

I had to eat a curtesy month from Comcrap last month.
I will be trying out Verizon the second it becomes available.

A buddy of mine signed up. He got 3 months for free, $50/month there on (he is a vzw customer, otherwise it would have been $70/month), no contract. 300-1000 down, supposedly no throttling and no data caps.

I was surprised when he sent me his first speedtest result:

This is all in a launch market and probably one of the first installs, so subject to change here. With no contract, there's not a lot of risk in giving it a shot if/when it comes to your area. If I didn't just get fiber, I sure would consider it once it was available to get out from under Comcast's thumb!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Where do you even store all that stuff when you're downloading 1TB per month?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Depends if it's being archived or not really, but being able to download at high speed means you can get the very best version of something that exists. Maybe a UHD remux thats 100gb, then deleted afterwards.

nerox
May 20, 2001

lordfrikk posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557&perpage=40

Can I interest you in a home nas?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lordfrikk posted:

NAS. Usually what I do is copy stuff down, unzip/rar/par/whatever on my SSD then send it up to my re purposed server that runs FreeNAS with Plex on a ZFS pool. Works for me. It's an old 2600K Sandy Bridge box.

I'm probably the edge case, but I like reading about folks that do the "crap load of requests" and other stuff when I'm just the "uh kind of collector" type stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm probably the edge case, but I like reading about folks that do the "crap load of requests" and other stuff

I worry about this trend, seeing people setting up Plex servers specifically designed to offer anything and everything outside of the home to countless users. It makes me think it'll be the next thing that's clamped down on.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

I worry about this trend, seeing people setting up Plex servers specifically designed to offer anything and everything outside of the home to countless users. It makes me think it'll be the next thing that's clamped down on.

Eh, when I leave the house, last thing I do is stream poo poo to outside the house.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Colostomy Bag posted:

NAS. Usually what I do is copy stuff down, unzip/rar/par/whatever on my SSD then send it up to my re purposed server that runs FreeNAS with Plex on a ZFS pool. Works for me. It's an old 2600K Sandy Bridge box.

I'm probably the edge case, but I like reading about folks that do the "crap load of requests" and other stuff when I'm just the "uh kind of collector" type stuff.

But how big are your home NASes anyway? I've seen that one video of a guy having 70 TB storage complete with an enterprise-level server housing but I'm thinking there's not many people who go all out on storage like that, right?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Depends if it's being archived or not really, but being able to download at high speed means you can get the very best version of something that exists. Maybe a UHD remux thats 100gb, then deleted afterwards.

Yeah, I could understand if people download, watch and delete. Storing all that stuff is pretty mindboggling to me, though :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I download movies and tv and watch it, keep it til I get below 10% free space, then delete stuff I don't want any more.

I rarely watch stuff twice but I usually give an external hdd full of the latest stuff to my brother or my parents. Sometimes I field the odd request from them too.

I don't use any streaming services because why would I? Usenet Access is cheaper and has all the stuff I want available.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Laserface posted:

I don't use any streaming services because why would I? Usenet Access is cheaper and has all the stuff I want available.

I've started watching everything I can on Netflix because you can skip the intro on pretty much everything. I didn't think I would care about that until I started watching older shows with 60-75 seconds worth of intro.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My unlimited account at newsgroupdirect costs me $3.99 a month.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Diddler posted:

I've started watching everything I can on Netflix because you can skip the intro on pretty much everything. I didn't think I would care about that until I started watching older shows with 60-75 seconds worth of intro.

A media player should have no issues skipping in 10 seconds intervals. Sure, it can get a bit annoying, but to pay $10/month to not have to do that is a bit ... strange. That being said, I do still have netflix (even though I don't need it/want it) only because that's the only way the family let me cancel cable many years ago. I would drop it in a heartbeat if I could.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Volguus posted:

A media player should have no issues skipping in 10 seconds intervals. Sure, it can get a bit annoying, but to pay $10/month to not have to do that is a bit ... strange. That being said, I do still have netflix (even though I don't need it/want it) only because that's the only way the family let me cancel cable many years ago. I would drop it in a heartbeat if I could.

I watch plex on a roku with a logitech remote. I dunno which part is the real issue (pretty sure it's plex), but there's no forward skip, just fast forward. By the time I fast forward, it rebuffers, and I FF/RW as needed and allow it to rebuffer again, I might as well have watched the credits. Maybe it's not the *best* user of my $13 each month, but I'm ok with it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The Diddler posted:

I watch plex on a roku with a logitech remote. I dunno which part is the real issue (pretty sure it's plex), but there's no forward skip, just fast forward. By the time I fast forward, it rebuffers, and I FF/RW as needed and allow it to rebuffer again, I might as well have watched the credits. Maybe it's not the *best* user of my $13 each month, but I'm ok with it.

Yeah, that's entirely on Plex. Using Kodi instead should solve the problem, if it's a problem that you want solved.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lordfrikk posted:

But how big are your home NASes anyway? I've seen that one video of a guy having 70 TB storage complete with an enterprise-level server housing but I'm thinking there's not many people who go all out on storage like that, right?

Yeah, I could understand if people download, watch and delete. Storing all that stuff is pretty mindboggling to me, though :v:

Eh, mine is around 12TB or so. But I don't download 1TB worth of crap a month. A lot is consumed by streaming and other activities such as my spouse who works from home. Looking at the average is around 600-800GB a month.

And don't discount Astraweb @ $96 a year...especially when they can't figure out how to rebill you or turn your account off. :v:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Diddler posted:

Press ok to pause the video, press up to highlight the playback bar if it's not selected, tap right a few times (10s interval), press ok to unpause the video.

...then make all that into a sequence (or two with different skip lengths) on your harmony remote, so you only have to press one button to do all these things.

astral fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Colostomy Bag posted:

And don't discount Astraweb @ $96 a year...especially when they can't figure out how to rebill you or turn your account off. :v:

I did wonder why my astraweb account still works give I haven't seen a charge for it on my card for years