Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

it's scary movIE Season let's talk scary mobies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

The VVitch

has quickly become one of my all time fav horror movies since it came out about 2 years ago i thtnink. it's as much a nerdy-rear end period piece about puritan new england as it is an extremely slow-burn ambient horror movie

filmed in almost all natural light! squalid as hell and raises some interesting thoughts and things.

ty manifisto

alnilam

the descent

the first half of the film is basically a terrifying sport film about a caving trip gone wrong and quickly becomes something else out of nowhere. also stars entirely women which is cool, mostly passes the bechdel test. neat fact the whole film was filmed in one big cave room from different angles.

i recently learned there were 2 endings so make sure when you watch it that the ending is fucke dup as hell, if it's not you probablyh saw the wrong one

ty manifisto

alnilam

treehouse of horror ??? : homer^3

homer simpsson desperately tries to hide from his extended family, terrified of formin ga human connection with somebody he doesn't feel he has to gain anything from. he ends up trapped in a 3d computery CGI world. hijinx ensue

ty manifisto

alnilam

house of the devil

spoOOokyKY slow burn babysitter-ish horror film where you'r enever sure if it's a real horror film or if there's really a real horror going on, very suspenseful!

ty manifisto

beer pal

alnilam posted:

The VVitch

has quickly become one of my all time fav horror movies since it came out about 2 years ago i thtnink. it's as much a nerdy-rear end period piece about puritan new england as it is an extremely slow-burn ambient horror movie

filmed in almost all natural light! squalid as hell and raises some interesting thoughts and things.

ueah

alnilam posted:

the descent

the first half of the film is basically a terrifying sport film about a caving trip gone wrong and quickly becomes something else out of nowhere. also stars entirely women which is cool, mostly passes the bechdel test. neat fact the whole film was filmed in one big cave room from different angles.

i recently learned there were 2 endings so make sure when you watch it that the ending is fucke dup as hell, if it's not you probablyh saw the wrong one
yeah - the sequel was not bad too. definitely has a sequel feel but it does the job

alnilam posted:

house of the devil

spoOOokyKY slow burn babysitter-ish horror film where you'r enever sure if it's a real horror film or if there's really a real horror going on, very suspenseful!

thats a good one too

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

beer pal

im a big fan of the blackcoats daughter. its another slow quiet one. i like that it just kind of lets things be what they are, not going out of its way to scare you with jumps or trying to manipulate you with the score. its not really that scarey but i found it quite affecting

alnilam

beer pal posted:

im a big fan of the blackcoats daughter. its another slow quiet one. i like that it just kind of lets things be what they are, not going out of its way to scare you with jumps or trying to manipulate you with the score. its not really that scarey but i found it quite affecting

ooh cool I'll check it out ty happy shocktober

beer pal

you know what one i liked even though its really not too good is as above so below, its about some people who get lost in the paris catacombs . its got that kind of trashy throw it against the wall kitchen sink vibe & im a sucker for clausterphobic stuff (like the descent ) and shifting walls stuff

oh & its a found footage which is a plus for me

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

house of the devil

yee I liked this one (I liked the others you mentioned also), it has a very 70s/80s throwback feel to it, in a good way

it seems like most people thought let the right one in was a p good movie, but for some reason I wasn't feeling it, although it is certainly well shot. I guess I could write a little bit about the problems I had with it if anyone is interested, but basically I think the actual premise of the film runs directly counter to what many people seem to take away from it.

beer pal posted:

you know what one i liked even though its really not too good is as above so below, its about some people who get lost in the paris catacombs . its got that kind of trashy throw it against the wall kitchen sink vibe & im a sucker for clausterphobic stuff (like the descent ) and shifting walls stuff

oh & its a found footage which is a plus for me

yeah I wrote a little about that in the fall thread. I liked it too in the sense of being entertained, although I found it pretty derivative - especially of the descent.

ty nesamdoom!

Dungeon Ecology

yesss i friggin love horror movies. here are a couple of my fav's, aside from the ones everyone has seen.

old-timey stuff: :corsair:
Psycho - i mean come on if you havent seen this one yet you have to. it still holds up to this day and is a legit masterclass in horror.
Rear Window - also a great hitchcock choice, plays with voyeurism and the feeling of helplessness.
Repulsion - sorry about it being a roman polanski film, but its still damned creepy and well shot.
The Exterminating Angel - not strictly a horror film, but a surreal take on how civilized society breaks down when confronted with hardship

found footage
REC - a spanish film about a film crew that finds themselves trapped in an apartment building after responding to an emergency situation. thats all ill say about that
V/H/S - ok i think this film gets a bunch of undeserved flak, its still pretty damned good at what it does and a great homage to the genre as well as a little nod to creepshow-style mini-features.

psychological horror
Jacob's Ladder - hands down my favorite horror film. it's like a fever dream and a silent hill game. Tim Robbins plays a returned vietnam vet and postal service worker whos reality is sort of coming apart at the seams. visually and existentially horrifying.
Session 9 - i was surprised at how good this one was for a made-for-tv horror movie. borrows notes from Jacob's ladder, but i think a lot of horror these days does. a professional cleaning crew charged with renovating a dilapidated asylum stumbles across some unnerving recordings.
Funny Games - the austrian one, although the american one is fine. two brothers take a family hostage and make them play sadistic games.
Goodnight, Mommy - two brothers, again, start to suspect their mother is an impostor after she has facial reconstruction surgery.

supernatural horror
Hereditary - saw this recently, was really blown away by it. it doesnt pull punches and it is one of the most earnest horror films i've seen since the Witch, and wouldnt you know it: its the same director!
Witch - already said in this thread, but its super scary. puritanical americans on the edge of civilization are visited by a dark force that starts to tear the family apart. It's a theme thats revisited in Hereditary
It Follows - a modern take on teen-sex bogeyman film, this one doesn't harp on moral evils but instead makes it about sexual transmission. has a retro but not campy feel to it.

NIGHTMARE MODE:
Antichrist - simultaneously one of the most beautiful and terrible movies ive ever seen i think it might have scarred me.

Abugadu

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
House, (1977) a Japanese horror film that's kind of like an Evil Dead 2 on the comedy/horror mashup. Surrealist and campy silly.

They Live, featuring Rowdy Roddy Piper, also campy, but has the best fight scene in cinema history.

Cube, sci-fi horror, group dynamics meets Saw.

Manifisto

may is quirky, funny, and creepy. a bit of a sleeper, it follows a shy, awkward, and rather strange woman's search for affection. when her attempts to connect don't work out as she'd hoped, she reacts in an unconventional and increasingly extreme way. there are a number of wonderful little moments in this film, such as when a character who poses as weird and twisted comes face to face with the real deal.

the director, Lucky McKee, did another slow-burn film called the woods which has a similarly offbeat tone. I didn't like it as much as may, but it's a relatively fresh take on the children's-academy-with-a-terrible-secret genre.

also in that vein, although not specifically a horror film, I liked never let me go. it's an alternate reality film, but the particular way in which things have diverged is dealt with very subtly, with much more overt focus on character development. still the underlying ideas leave quite an impression, and the implicit social commentary is fairly stark. I'd place it in a vaguely similar category to gattaca, another film I quite like.

ty nesamdoom!

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Does it follows have much of a after school special feel? Because it sounds like it does but people keep recommending it.

----------------

beer pal

nah it doesnt and its one of those movies thats so good that it makes people go contrarian about it

Stooge

alnilam posted:

the descent

sounds decent

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

The VVitch

Wow I guess I saw that movie soon after it came out? My friend had me watch it with them and I was... on the fence about it, but I honestly thought when I was watching it that it was like a 20 year old movie. Maybe it had something to do with the pacing?

Dungeon Ecology

Abugadu posted:

House, (1977) a Japanese horror film that's kind of like an Evil Dead 2 on the comedy/horror mashup. Surrealist and campy silly.

i love this film its so much zany fun. and really pretty at times too

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

heck yes

there's a thread in CineD with a horror movie challenge to watch a bunch and write short reviews. I've watched 16 so far and written quick reviews on them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868801

One of my favorites from this month has been:

15. The Invisible Man 1933
A scientist becomes invisible and gets a bit carried away with the newfound power.

"If you raise a finger against me, you're a dead man. I'm strong and I'll strangle you. Do you understand?"

I loved this movie. Claude Rains is incredible as the titular Invisible Man. In every scene he speaks with such a commanding cadence and his maniacal laughter was fantastic. In many ways he reminds me of the protagonist of Donald Westlake's Parker books. Both are straightforward, cunning, and driven to get what they are after regardless of anything or anyone that stands in their way. I found myself rooting for him early in the film when I thought he was just trying to find a way to be left alone and reverse his condition. He does terrible things along the way, but I still mostly found myself hoping he'd succeed... then there's the reveal late in the movie that the chemical that made him invisible is also making him insane. Then you sympathize with him, but you know that after what he's done there's no way his tale will have a happy ending. I absolutely loved it.

I also highly recommend:

The Innkeepers 2011
Two people watch a hotel that might be haunted. This one works so well because the interactions between the two people feel really natural and it feels like you're hanging out in this spooky hotel with them and the scary moments land because it feels like it's happening to one of your buds. By the same director who did House of the Devil which alnilam mentioned whic is also super good.

10 Cloverfield Lane 2016
People are stuck in a house playing board games with John Goodman, only in this movie, that's NOT a good thing. ACK!

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Cubone

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Hereditary is so upsetting

it's a good movie but that sequence

oh my god. gently caress.

and you just keep expecting it to cut and it never does. gently caress

Dungeon Ecology

yeah i saw that poo poo high and i was like 'oh yeah he's definitely just going to wake up drenched in sweat and be like "phew it was all a dream"

but it just keeps going...

Silly Ray Cyrus

Forget it
These are pulled from my list on netflix:

The Ritual
Spooky hiking with monsters. Its not slow-build but doesn't blow its load early, and wraps up in a really solid package. I liked it a lot.
I give it 7 Boyfriend Hand Holds out of 10

They're Watching
House Hunters but with witches. it is campy and fun, but also has a pretty good spook factor.
I was able to watch this by myself and did not need hand holds.

The Vault is a Bank Robbers with GHOOOSTS and I liked it. It is objectively not very good, but a decent ride. It is Gory and Silly
I was able to watch this by myself and did not need hand holds
---

I am going to also say Hereditary was great, and I watched it by myself but really could have used some hand holds at the time.

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the descent and it follows were both good.

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the premise of it follows was ridiculous and kind of dumb but the atmosphere of the movie was really good.

Manifisto

I have been watching the walking dead on netflix (somehow never watched it before) and overall enjoying it. there are a few things I don't completely follow--some of the characters seem really upset about something, and many of the others have some sort of skin condition and a bit of a speech impediment--but other than that it's a charming slice-of-life portrayal of america

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

I have been watching the walking dead on netflix (somehow never watched it before) and overall enjoying it. there are a few things I don't completely follow--some of the characters seem really upset about something, and many of the others have some sort of skin condition and a bit of a speech impediment--but other than that it's a charming slice-of-life portrayal of america

you think that's good, check out george romero's realistic slice of life film about consumerism, dawn of the dead

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
watched hereditary, it was really good.

Jolo

Hereditary 2: 23 and MEet your Doom

Hereditary 2: Family Matters

Hereditary 2: The New Batch (of humans that are related to us)

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

kalel

This thread is so good, it's scary!

I was dying to see Mandy in theatres this past month but it just didn't happen :(

Twenty Four

Manifisto posted:

My friend got me watching this show back around maybe season 3 or so, which was quite a few years ago. It was really fun because she worked at sort of a mid class sports bar and it was always super dead on sunday nights and she would change like all of the 30 or so TVs over to walking dead and put it over the sound system. Like this might have seemed normal at a dive place but this was just a little too nice for it and it made it pretty fun and novel. Occasionally the random straggler would wander in and be pretty confused and it was funny.

Now I could care less and actually get annoyed with the show. A zombie used to be a big deal. A few of them was full on panic. Now they just casually stroll through thousands of them without a care in the world. No sense of urgency, unless they want there to be, because they kept trying to top themselves.

I went from rooting for the "good guys" to the "bad guys" to hoping everyone died, to not watching at all.

Manifisto

Twenty Four posted:

Now I could care less and actually get annoyed with the show. A zombie used to be a big deal. A few of them was full on panic. Now they just casually stroll through thousands of them without a care in the world. No sense of urgency, unless they want there to be, because they kept trying to top themselves.

I went from rooting for the "good guys" to the "bad guys" to hoping everyone died, to not watching at all.

yeah I think I see what you mean, I'm not that far along yet but I can see the focus of the show changing. but honestly I think it's almost inevitable, it's hard to keep a show fresh for that many seasons when you're sticking to a single formula. sort of like the battlestar galactica reboot, the show seems to be morphing into more of a political commentary, for example on authoritarianism vs. classical liberalism, which honestly kind of resonates with me for ~reasons~. the walkers themselves become more of a . . . backdrop, a framing device.

if you look at, say, 28 days later, the movie went in a similar direction over the course of a couple of hours. so I don't really fault the evolution per se, I guess the question for me is whether the interpersonal dynamics can stay interesting enough to want to keep up with the show. they're certainly not shy about rotating cast in and out.

ty nesamdoom!

Twenty Four

Manifisto posted:

yeah I think I see what you mean, I'm not that far along yet but I can see the focus of the show changing. but honestly I think it's almost inevitable, it's hard to keep a show fresh for that many seasons when you're sticking to a single formula. sort of like the battlestar galactica reboot, the show seems to be morphing into more of a political commentary, for example on authoritarianism vs. classical liberalism, which honestly kind of resonates with me for ~reasons~. the walkers themselves become more of a . . . backdrop, a framing device.

if you look at, say, 28 days later, the movie went in a similar direction over the course of a couple of hours. so I don't really fault the evolution per se, I guess the question for me is whether the interpersonal dynamics can stay interesting enough to want to keep up with the show. they're certainly not shy about rotating cast in and out.

The show definitely keeps up with character interaction, isn't afraid to kill anyone, and regularly brings in some new ones to replace the ones they kill off.

However the zombies feel like they are nearly zero threat over the last few seasons. Pretty much all the main groups live in near impenetrable compounds last I watched, and the biggest threat is each other and political relations. They just don't even care about the zombies unless someone gets sabotaged, and even most of the characters are made out to be such grizzled veterans they just chop down like 30 of them in a row like it's no thing at all. They have herds anywhere from dozens to thousands and the go to move is to just run them over with a car now and not care. The only times the zombies are a threat now is when it's convenient for the writers. It's barely a zombie survival show anymore, the threat just doesn't seem real. The story hasn't moved much in a while, and feels more like a soap opera where people regularly die now then anything.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad show, I just ended up frustrated that it hasn't felt like much of anything has mattered in a few years other then "whos gonna die tonight?". Then, when I find myself not caring about most of the characters, it's hard to care who dies. By the time I stopped watching I think there was 2 characters left I really enjoyed, and both of them were ones you were supposed to dislike, but at least they had personality.

Dungeon Ecology

show suffers from the same sequelitis that most american shows have - they just don't know when end a story. or more specifically, the producers don't want to give away a captive audience.

FactsAreUseless

Please read the comic series "Uzumaki" by Junji Ito

alnilam

FactsAreUseless posted:

Please read the comic series "Uzumaki" by Junji Ito

is that the spiral one

FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

is that the spiral one
Yes, it's Ito's best series.

Apparently there's like an anime anthology show that adapts his stuff that started last year or something, but I haven't seen it.

alnilam

I read part of it a long time ago and it was real good i should pick it back up

Jolo

I just watched Peter Jackson's movie Dead Alive and it was like a zombie cartoon made with real actors. It was one of the silliest, goriest, grossest things I've seen and I really enjoyed it. It's hard to put into words just how far this movie goes.

One of the highlights for me is a recurring gag with a crude character getting hit in the dick/balls repeatedly. At one point a zombie baby gets hit in the face with a frying pan (which leaves an indent of the baby's face in the frying pan) and then the baby is punched out of a window where he sails through the air and hits the man in the dick. Later the zombie baby picks up a dismembered leg off of the floor and swings it to "kick" this man right in the balls.

Peter Jackson is being misused making these fantasy epics when he could be giving us insane and glorious schlock like Dead Alive. It's good.

Jolo

Banh mi sandwich, our beloved byob waifu, makes a guest appearance in the new Halloween.

Also I absolutely loved the movie. Feels reminiscent of the original movie but set in the modern day. A great mix of horror and humor. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, it's Ito's best series.

Apparently there's like an anime anthology show that adapts his stuff that started last year or something, but I haven't seen it.

its pretty good. I've enjoyed every epidsode I've watched and so has my girlfriend, who says she doesnt like anime

• Locked thread